What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

IMO part of the equation for testing is  that MIGHT get people to stay home more if they know they are positive or have been around somebody who is positive.  We don't have the governments that others do, and don't seem to have the widespread support of this to lock everybody down for a couple weeks like we would need to if we say we are too far down the road for testing.  

It is everywhere.

It is beyond the scope of testing each and every person one by one.

I don't know what is weird abut it.  Let me know and I can try again.
Dude, we don't even have the capacity to test people with symptoms.  I think that is more of people's beef - that we crapped the bed on that somehow.  

Seems like you seem to be saying not test anyone though, and by saying it's everywhere - what do you mean?  We are so far ahead of how fast it spread in other countries.    I get that it's in every state, and more than what we think because we are behind on the testing, but I don't think we are so far down the rabbit hole that the knowledge wider testing would provide wouldnt' save lives by knowing where some hotter spots are, cracking down on them, shifting resources around, etc.. 

We just "learned" that asymptomatic people are spreading it as well.  

An obvious part of my argument that apparently isn't obvious.
I believe they are saying “may” be contributing. It makes sense, but everything is fluid at the moment.

Why wouldn’t you want to see testing done?

It’s not going to hurt.

It’s going to be useful to learn how to do something like this at this scale. 

Dude, we don't even have the capacity to test people with symptoms.  I think that is more of people's beef - that we crapped the bed on that somehow.  

Seems like you seem to be saying not test anyone though, and by saying it's everywhere - what do you mean?  We are so far ahead of how fast it spread in other countries.    I get that it's in every state, and more than what we think because we are behind on the testing, but I don't think we are so far down the rabbit hole that the knowledge wider testing would provide wouldnt' save lives by knowing where some hotter spots are, cracking down on them, shifting resources around, etc.. 
The symptoms.  Lets stay on this.  COVID 19 has no treatment.  No cure.  No vaccine.  The symptoms are what you treat at this point.  Once there is a treatment, testing would become completely relevant.  Until then, you are treating the symptoms, not a specific COVID 19 treatment.  Test positive?  Still - just treating the symptoms.

Second - I have no idea whatsoever where you got that I don't want anyone tested?  My argument is the futility of testing the masses.  Testing anyone who wants it.  Pointless.. worse than pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting nervous. Long on supplies except booze. There’s local delivery, but they require you open the door and sign their phone. Family hasn’t been within 10 feet of another human in a week. What to do? The siren call of booze.
I'd say put on a pair of disposable gloves for signing the phone and order away.

Getting nervous. Long on supplies except booze. There’s local delivery, but they require you open the door and sign their phone. Family hasn’t been within 10 feet of another human in a week. What to do? The siren call of booze.
Deliver to the neighbor's house, then have them bring it to you without a signature.

I believe they are saying “may” be contributing. It makes sense, but everything is fluid at the moment.

Why wouldn’t you want to see testing done?

It’s not going to hurt.

It’s going to be useful to learn how to do something like this at this scale. 
Allow me to be the one to turn that "may" into "definitely".. unless someone here can educate me on a contagious virus that is only spread by the symptomatic.

Go to the window

Hey buddy

I'm quarantined. Sign your phone for me and leave the booze on the doorstep?

Find 24 hour store. Go at like 2 in the morn. Have your sanitizing gel in your pocket. Dose up after purchase.

Allow me to be the one to turn that "may" into "definitely".. unless someone here can educate me on a contagious virus that is only spread by the symptomatic.
Probably. I’d guess there’s a lot of factors in how you qualify symptomatic. 

Why wouldn’t we want them to get the capability to test up and running, we should have had this but for many reasons we didn’t,  and then start doing it?

Our kids have school, but we are likely going to keep them home starting Monday. We got an email from the principal, pretty much saying that the reason they aren't shutting down is because it would royally #### so many of the lower income families if they had nowehere to send their kids. I get it. But we have the luxury of not being royally ####ed

Don't engage me, do the math for those claiming other countries are testing everyone.

Please.

Pretty please.. for yourself.
Stop with the semantics.  Everyone knows they haven’t tested all 51 million people. But they’ve tested everyone they need to test in order to halt the spread of the disease. 

@IvanKaramazov @Joe Bryant

In fact, at this point (or a point now long past).. this thread should only ever have been in the PSF.

Counterarguments and information/opinions contrary to the prevailing narrative are chased out en masse.. a la the PSF.

eta - May I introduce the FFA's first Echo Chamber since the PSF formed.

Venmo a friend 200 bucks and have him pick you up 150 bucks worth of booze and he can drop it on your front steps. Not complicated Ham

I believe what they have done is waited long enough to pass the peak rate, and by definition everything from there will be a "downward trend".
Yeah, that's exactly what they did: they waited.

Are you insane?  Do you have a brother who might just happen to be prime minister of England?

I apologize if you have covered this earlier in the thread but what are the ages of you and your family and do any have any susceptible medical conditions? 

You’re doing awesome work for your family and for society. Cut yourself a break and get some booze. Wash hands, put on gloves, turn your head away from the other human, sign, they leave, remove gloves and wash hands for a minute straight. You deserve it. 

1st confirmed case at Michigan State. Hopefully wasn’t a student who was out at the jam packed bars the last couple nights.

Matuski, can you stop posting the same thing over and over again? We've all seen it. Start a thread for the circular arguments so the rest of the conversation can breathe in here, damn. 
:lmao:

Yes, I will allow this thread to return to its entirely un-repetitive posts about China and grocery store shelves.

eta - and testing, we need testing.  Not repetitive at all.

I don’t want to come face to face with anyone coming face to face with anyone. At least for two more weeks. So plan is to get a big order to the door and appeal to delivery person to leave the order, mostly red wine (how was the Stags Leap!) without an open door. I will leave ID on the steps so they can scan and ask for them to sign. If not, will ask they leave phone and back away. Will disinfect with Clorox and sign if necessary. Getting a damn month supply. Should have last week.
That would work too. 

The Stag’s was great, thank you for asking. Something about the soil down there in that sliver of land they grow the grapes, the stuff is just so smooth but super rich.

Having a Washington Red right now - Mark Ryan. Really good but not quite Napa level.

How are the veggies coming in?

Good thread on the 1957 flu pandemic.  Potentially "most similar" to this one.

Flu came through in waves, not all at once.  Partly seasonality, partly some of the same countermeasures we're talking about now.  Kind of good news in that history suggests we WILL eventually react.

Total "excess deaths" were around 116k in 1957 as a result of the flu.  Population is nearly double now, so so would be like 225k in the US today.  

Unlike the back of the envelop #s you get to assuming no systemic response, the 1957 case review includes some of those reactions.  And also talks about how the impact will come in waves as we react, relax, react, relax across several seasonal fluctuations as well.

@IvanKaramazov

In fact, at this point (or a point now long past).. this thread should only ever have been in the PSF.

Counterarguments and information/opinions contrary to the prevailing narrative are chased out en masse.. a la the PSF.
I'm just saying that I don't think it's helpful for this particular thread to get too terribly derailed.  I mean, I know its the FFA and we're all going to have our little hobby horses, but still.

You're a good guy, and you and I go back a long way.  I sincerely hope that you and your family are doing well.  I'm going to drop all of this after this post.

I don’t want to come face to face with anyone coming face to face with anyone. At least for two more weeks. So plan is to get a big order to the door and appeal to delivery person to leave the order, mostly red wine (how was the Stags Leap!) without an open door. I will leave ID on the steps so they can scan and ask for them to sign. If not, will ask they leave phone and back away. Will disinfect with Clorox and sign if necessary. Getting a damn month supply. Should have last week.
You are in Austin, right? Me too. Happy to help if you want. I can make a food run.

Getting nervous. Long on supplies except booze. There’s local delivery, but they require you open the door and sign their phone.
Seems pretty riskless—either wash thoroughly after signing or else wear a glove while signing. :shrug:  

I’m not aware that COVID spreads quite that easily. Just sign and wash up — you’ve got to handle “dirty” bottles anyway before you can wipe them down.

Users who are viewing this thread