What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Disc Golf Thread*** (2 Viewers)

I finally played Idlewild in Kentucky, and the first hole is an iconic par 4, 635 feet slightly downhill.  I’m proud to say with two of my longest throws I was able to put it inside circle 1 for a birdie.  Knowing Kevin Jones did it in 1 throw is pretty humbling.  Eagles 700 foot monster isn’t helping.  🤣🤣

I finally played Idlewild in Kentucky, and the first hole is an iconic par 4, 635 feet slightly downhill.  I’m proud to say with two of my longest throws I was able to put it inside circle 1 for a birdie.  Knowing Kevin Jones did it in 1 throw is pretty humbling.  Eagles 700 foot monster isn’t helping.  🤣🤣

Nice! I'm really hoping to be able to play some of those courses (Idlewild, Toboggan, etc.) in the midwest at some point in the next few years after watching so much coverage of those iconic holes. 

Newbie, newbie, infant player here. Wanted to get my 17 yo into something other than video games, so bought discs for both of us, and a basket for his Mom's house where he has 5 acres to throw around on. Picked up a mobile MVP basket for myself to throw discs in my company's warehouse and at least work on my short game.

Wanted to say this thread has been super helpful and appreciated.

Also, wanted to say for those that may not know, YouTube is a great source for seeing all of the tournaments each week, especially Sunday coverage. Disc Golf Pro Tour is doing really great things with their channel. Live coverage that is really professional feeling, and great recap videos after the fact that shows all of the highlights. 

Nice! I'm really hoping to be able to play some of those courses (Idlewild, Toboggan, etc.) in the midwest at some point in the next few years after watching so much coverage of those iconic holes. 
Well if you ever make it happen I’d be happy to tag along.

The (Kinda) Hefty Lefty bringing home the big check.  You love to see it.  

Also, if you had told me that Paige Pierce would pretty much self-destruct the rest of the season after worlds, I would not have thought Missy Gannon would be the one tear it up over Hailey and Cat in the second half of the season.

The (Kinda) Hefty Lefty bringing home the big check.  You love to see it.  

Also, if you had told me that Paige Pierce would pretty much self-destruct the rest of the season after worlds, I would not have thought Missy Gannon would be the one tear it up over Hailey and Cat in the second half of the season.
Just watched this tournament for the first time yesterday/today. Queen could not friggin miss on that last round, impressive stuff. I gotta get to Charlotte soon to play that course plus the others in the area. I’m lucky to live in KC but Charlotte is the one metro that definitely has it beat. 

I’ve fallen in love with Innova’s Halo plastic. Grip is fantastic and they tend to fly true to form right out of the box which I love. I’ve read online that others find them to be more overstable than star or champion in the same mold but that hasn’t been my experience. 

I’ve picked up a Wraith (my go-to RHBH off the tee), a Shryke (forehand off the tee), a Tern (flippier than I thought it would be but fast as hell), and a Lion and I love them all. Weather has been decent around here so I’ve been playing a ton lately. I’m ready for spring. 

I gotta get to Charlotte soon to play that course plus the others in the area. I’m lucky to live in KC but Charlotte is the one metro that definitely has it beat. 
If you ever make it out this way I’ll be glad to show you around. 

Putting league has been cool this year with Uli, Big Jerm, KJ and Corey Ellis all joining in the fun.  

I’ve fallen in love with Innova’s Halo plastic. Grip is fantastic and they tend to fly true to form right out of the box which I love. I’ve read online that others find them to be more overstable than star or champion in the same mold but that hasn’t been my experience. 

I’ve picked up a Wraith (my go-to RHBH off the tee), a Shryke (forehand off the tee), a Tern (flippier than I thought it would be but fast as hell), and a Lion and I love them all. Weather has been decent around here so I’ve been playing a ton lately. I’m ready for spring. 
Same here!  Halo plastic in Tern, Wraith, and Leopard3.  Wraith and Tern are 1-2 punch off the tee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Closest disc golf course to my house is about 20 minutes away. Next closest is 30+. Not a huge deal but far enough that it deters quick rounds for me.

Just found out they’re putting in a pretty decent course about 3 minutes from me and it should be ready by spring. Super pumped!

Is this the first year there's been a genuine silly season regarding players changing sponsors?

Ricky just announced he's leaving Innova and Cat announced she's leaving Prodigy.  Which leads to speculation that they're the two "multiple elite series winners" that Dynamic Discs is going to announce next week.  Westside has cut ties to Nikko and signed Matty O (which strikes me as an upgrade in the marketability department).  

In any case, it's going to be super weird watching Ricky throw approach shots with something that isn't a Pig.  

Is this the first year there's been a genuine silly season regarding players changing sponsors?

Ricky just announced he's leaving Innova and Cat announced she's leaving Prodigy.  Which leads to speculation that they're the two "multiple elite series winners" that Dynamic Discs is going to announce next week.  Westside has cut ties to Nikko and signed Matty O (which strikes me as an upgrade in the marketability department).  

In any case, it's going to be super weird watching Ricky throw approach shots with something that isn't a Pig.  
Like you mentioned a couple pages back - the money is starting to get real. It’s probably time for some sort of player’s union. I’m fascinated to see where this goes over the next decade. I really hope this isn’t a fad, I want my retirement job to be a high school disc golf coach. 

Moe. said:
Like you mentioned a couple pages back - the money is starting to get real. It’s probably time for some sort of player’s union. I’m fascinated to see where this goes over the next decade. I really hope this isn’t a fad, I want my retirement job to be a high school disc golf coach. 
It's great to see. I agree that I'm trying to figure out a way to make a living or supplement my income somehow in the disc golf industry. 

I just saw that Ricky asked for his signing bonus ($250k) to be paid in Bitcoin. 

I wonder how much changing up discs affects these guys? I’m fairly new to this and have exclusively used an Aviar as that seemed to be the most used/loved putter. It never felt great to me though and I was always ok at putting but that was it. Changed to an Axiom Envy recently and it just feels way better and my putting is definitely more on point. 

I wonder how much changing up discs affects these guys? I’m fairly new to this and have exclusively used an Aviar as that seemed to be the most used/loved putter. It never felt great to me though and I was always ok at putting but that was it. Changed to an Axiom Envy recently and it just feels way better and my putting is definitely more on point. 
I don't think it affects them at all. There is enough similarity in the flight numbers and disc models from manufacturer to manufacturer that players can build their bag around a specific one without any issues. The only sticking point could be the different types of plastic. But for the right price I think they have no problem adjusting. 

The manufacturers are also creating new molds and prototypes specifically for these players as well. 

Ricky said in his press conference that he never felt he could be the best putter in the world again without his Daggers and that he's looking forward to using them again.  I think actual putting putters (as opposed to throwing putters like the Zone and Pig) might be the ones that are hardest to replace as so much of putting is feel.  

The biggest issue in changing bags is probably in not having time to break in some discs.  

Cat and Hayley still out there after having left Prodigy and Discraft respectively.  Innova have already announced their teams, so it's hard to figure out where these two (who should command more than Kona) can land.  I don't think Discmania really has a top FPO player, but I'm not sure they care.  

congrats!  you going to play advanced next event?  ;)

Depending on the tournament and the field, I might play in the MA 40 tier. I'm also considering just switching to pro. If I'm paying $50 or $75 for an entry as an amateur I'm only playing for more discs or merchandise. Might as well turn pro and play for cash. Only issue the MP 50 division here is pretty light and the MP 40 division has some really incredible players.

Any of you guys follow Scott Stokely? I had never heard of him until recently, but his YouTube channel is great. He’s 52, looks to be in great shape, and is going to tour this year. I’m really excited to see how he does. Ordered a Tour Series Berg of his the other day so he can get some scratch. 

Any of you guys follow Scott Stokely? I had never heard of him until recently, but his YouTube channel is great. He’s 52, looks to be in great shape, and is going to tour this year. I’m really excited to see how he does. Ordered a Tour Series Berg of his the other day so he can get some scratch. 

I’ve watched some of his vids. I think he was was one of the OG sidearms/forehanders. I like how he has spent a lot of time teaching and growing the game. I don’t always find his instruction videos easy to follow. I’m curious to see how he does out there. I do like watching guys like him and Felsberg play to get ideas on how to maximize power as you get older. 

Any recommendations for YouTube channels, either for instruction or entertainment?

I sub to the following:

Foundation Disc Golf (Probably the one I watch the most)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Brodie Smith

DynamicDiscs (Just subbed based on their signing, looks like a solid beginners section)

JomezPro

Any recommendations for YouTube channels, either for instruction or entertainment?

I sub to the following:

Foundation Disc Golf (Probably the one I watch the most)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Brodie Smith

DynamicDiscs (Just subbed based on their signing, looks like a solid beginners section)

JomezPro

I like Simon a lot. His older stuff is better than his newer stuff IMO, but he's got the best personality and has the most fun.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCed6me7QtjJiV-tvVgF7Rpg

I like watching the skins game on GK Pro. You get to see some of the fun and personalities on the course while they are still playing for cash.  https://www.youtube.com/c/GKProductionsGoThrow

My favorite instructional video that I still go back to from time to time and really set the foundation for my game was this one (a clinic with Nate Sexton): https://youtu.be/7JpY1m9vx2A

https://www.youtube.com/c/DiscGolfStrong - this is a good one for exercise and tips for working out, stretching, etc. as it relates to playing the game. 

Stokely apparently held the world distance record for close to a decade.  I agree that I find his instruction a bit baffling.  Maybe because he tends to ramble off into discursions like how he used to get so much snap on his throws that he'd spray blood out from under his fingernails onto the discs.  Ew.  

I think I saw that he had a few very impressive B-Tier performances last year, but I don't think MPO is like FPO where Juliana Korver could come back after like a decade and be a top 15 player.  

Most of the stuff I follow has already been mentioned.  I do follow some individual player channels like Eagle and Sockibombs. Ironically, I think Calvin has by far the best personality for social media (he's genuinely funny), but he doesn't have his own channel and just shows up on other guy's channels (though not as much a Thomas Gilbert, who is the Where's Waldo of disc golf social media content).

I also follow MIss Frisbees (Chantel Budinsky) who is a Canadian amateur who has only been playing like 3 years but is just on the cusp of possibly being able to tour.  She finished third at Amateur Worlds.  I'm not sure it has a lot of instructional or even educational value unless you're the type to crush on quirky Canadians, like me. 

Another channel is Gatekeeper Media. They do post round production coverage just like Jomez. I have to say after watching almost all of their content the past two years, big jerm and uli can be a bit annoying at times...but you have to watch them for lead card coverage at major events.

Which leads me to Gatekeeper. I'd much prefer to listen to Brian Earhart and Nate Perkins cover a round than jerm/uli. Much more in depth analysis with no shtick. 

In regards to watching events on Disc Golf channel and other places, I'm surprised there is little to no talk about the discs players are actually throwing. I mean for the major players we might know the manufacturer of the discs because of the sponsorship, but seems to me more talk about the specific discs for each throw would not only be interesting but would be helpful for the disc companies themselves. When one of these guys makes an amazing shot threw the woods or holds an anhyzer line for 350 ft it would be nice to know what specific disc was used.

In regards to watching events on Disc Golf channel and other places, I'm surprised there is little to no talk about the discs players are actually throwing. I mean for the major players we might know the manufacturer of the discs because of the sponsorship, but seems to me more talk about the specific discs for each throw would not only be interesting but would be helpful for the disc companies themselves. When one of these guys makes an amazing shot threw the woods or holds an anhyzer line for 350 ft it would be nice to know what specific disc was used.
i think jomez is now doing this on screen as much as they can.

Cool, didn't know that. I've primarily watched Disc Golf Channel since I reupped my pdga and got the 50% off discount. Thanks.
I think I'm going to subscribe to the DGN this year even though their live coverage is spotty at times. I think Jomez is only able to do the disc identification thing because it's recorded and not live.

DGN is the one coverage that gives the disc velocity out of the hand.  Which is kind of neat.  Ian knows everybody's bag, so he almost always names the disc, even if there isn't a graphic.  

I have to admit that I can go a half a Jomez round without noticing the disc graphics and then be surprised when I notice it on Hole 11 or something.  

DGN is the one coverage that gives the disc velocity out of the hand.  Which is kind of neat.  Ian knows everybody's bag, so he almost always names the disc, even if there isn't a graphic.  

I have to admit that I can go a half a Jomez round without noticing the disc graphics and then be surprised when I notice it on Hole 11 or something.  
One other reason to watch is that Ian is buddies with our own @Fullback Fro and Fullback Fro is a really, really good disc golfer.  

i watch all the big events after the edited youtube footage comes out.

ill put some smaller events on and play some dead show in the background.  relaxing as can be.

i love seeing all the different courses and picking up on the local vibes.

met stokely at 93 worlds in huntsville al.  he came thru montana a few years later on a discraft distance tour.  i showed him our courses.  it was fun as hell playing with the reigning world distance holder at the time.   :bowtie:

solid guy, who has done a lot for the sport.

a true discsman.

i love seeing all the different courses and picking up on the local vibes.

met stokely at 93 worlds in huntsville al.  he came thru montana a few years later on a discraft distance tour.  i showed him our courses.  it was fun as hell playing with the reigning world distance holder at the time.   :bowtie:

solid guy, who has done a lot for the sport.

a true discsman.

I mean if you're going to tatoo "DISC GOLF" on your knuckles, you better be a real G.

Chris Dickerson signed with Discraft. Apparently he didn’t travel as much as he could have in the past due to financial reasons, so hopefully we’ll see him at every stop in 2022. 

I bought tickets to the 2022 Dynamic Discs Open today. It’ll be my first time seeing the pros in person, pretty excited. I’m going to get tickets to Worlds (also in Emporia, KS) as well when available. 

Chris Dickerson signed with Discraft. Apparently he didn’t travel as much as he could have in the past due to financial reasons, so hopefully we’ll see him at every stop in 2022. 

I bought tickets to the 2022 Dynamic Discs Open today. It’ll be my first time seeing the pros in person, pretty excited. I’m going to get tickets to Worlds (also in Emporia, KS) as well when available. 

And Hailey King ended up with Innova.  I'd call that an upgrade over Kona.  Hailey would be their top FPO player anytime the Europeans aren't stateside.  Catrina really the big wild card still out there.

We have three events (Waco, Belton, Tyler) that are all 2 hours or less from me. Going to take the boy to at least one, probably Tyler.

And Hailey King ended up with Innova.  I'd call that an upgrade over Kona.  Hailey would be their top FPO player anytime the Europeans aren't stateside.  Catrina really the big wild card still out there.

Saw that Catrina signed with DGA. Looks like the decision got positive reviews on Disc Golf Twitter. I guess anyone getting paid is making everyone happy right now.

Users who are viewing this thread