What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (15 Viewers)

12 team SF 

A gave Mariotta, 2.04

B gave 2023 1st (probably late) 

team trading Mariotta has Brady, Watson, Lance, Tannehill, Trubisky. 
oh man, Mariota has been going in the 3rd and 4th of SF FFPC rookie drafts right now (you can draft FA there as well as rookies)

TVT 0 N S T A said:
Really?  He wasn't willing to give up 3 firsts for Josh Allen?

You said Lawrence was 1.01, he included '22 - 1.01 and '23 (based on how he runs his team) 1.01?  That team is going to be in the tank and it'll be difficult to find any buyers when that spot is vacated.  As commissioner I would send out an email, text message saying I am strongly considering vetoing this trade.  Additionally, I would be having a conversation with the assistant commissioner and any other founding members of this league about removing this person from the league because of negligence.  That might be a step far, but - it is something worth discussing.

This is a really bad trade from all angles.  If your league was like many others, it was likely Clyde was 1.01 the year before too?  I realize he hasn't performed to that level, but sheesh... that's a lot of wasted draft capital on a QB. 
Yes I will give a lot of leeway for trades, and it may not be collusion but when something upsets the balance of the league to that degree. One team is out of it for years, one team has the deck stacked for years, if it all happens because of one trade. It takes the fun out of it and I am not sure I want to play. Just because you can prove collusion doesn't mean it didn't happen. If I feel that way I will be getting out soon. 

@Cultivader - it’s super weird that ever since @SayWhat? complained about reaction emojis, you’ve come to every one of my tweets with a 😢 emoji. Give it a rest, huh? 

@FBG Moderator - surely sock puppet accounts are against the rules, as is harassment, no?  Obviously this is SayWhat’s sock puppet. 

He just hit 6 posts straight. It’s only annoying because it lights up my notifications. His last post was April 12th. He’s hit 10 of my posts in a couple days. 

ETA 40+ more “😢” reactions in the last 1.5 hours. legit notifications buried in spam.  @Joe Bryant - can you help? This is ridiculous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team SF 

A gave Mariotta, 2.04

Team A is getting a lot of grief, but if they are fairly competitive, need a 2nd starting QB, and in a superflex league like mine, this  isn't a bad trade.  My guess is that Mariota starts the entire season and posts top 20QB numbers for the season.  The rookie may or may not take over in 23.  Yes, the falcons have an easy out of the contract in 23, but his 23 salary is still relatively low for the position ($9mil, I think).  Is he a long term solution, no.  Is he someone that you can get a year or two of superflex QB production from?  Absolutely

Seriously. 3 ways: injury, ineffectiveness, or “let’s get the rookie some reps”. 

any/all of those could end his season.

this trade is madness. 
🙄 madness? That’s just being silly

There’s a chance that the 2.04 Is a really nice player. But Mariotta isn’t nearly enough to make up the gap between the 2.04 & the 1st rounder. 
There’s a really  good chance this is just a 5-7 player bump and a year early. 

Team A is getting a lot of grief, but if they are fairly competitive, need a 2nd starting QB, and in a superflex league like mine, this  isn't a bad trade.  My guess is that Mariota starts the entire season and posts top 20QB numbers for the season.  The rookie may or may not take over in 23.  Yes, the falcons have an easy out of the contract in 23, but his 23 salary is still relatively low for the position ($9mil, I think).  Is he a long term solution, no.  Is he someone that you can get a year or two of superflex QB production from?  Absolutely
They’re weak at QB (wentz, Tua and MM) but with D Cook, Chubb, Jacobs, Diggs, Deebo, Mike Williams, Waller, good IDPs and adequate depth, they’ll contend for sure - especially If Tua and MM perform. 

My guess is that Mariota starts the entire season and posts top 20QB numbers for the season.  
Top 30, I may agree with.

I mean with so many great young QBs in the league and some vets like Russell, Brady and Rodgers hanging around - I find it very difficult to believe Mariotta (who was mediocre for Tennessee) can finish in the Top 20.

Could it happen? Sure, but if you can find one redraft rankings that have Mariotta in the Top 20, I'd sure like to see it. 

I mean with so many great young QBs in the league and some vets like Russell, Brady and Rodgers hanging around - I find it very difficult to believe Mariotta (who was mediocre for Tennessee) can finish in the Top 20.

Could it happen? Sure, but if you can find one redraft rankings that have Mariotta in the Top 20, I'd sure like to see it. 
One (best). Granted, on average he’s closer to 30. 

Most of the 30-ish grades are predicated on Ridder taking over part way through the season.  I just don't see that happening behind a terrible line and with an abysmal defense.  Teams just don't throw a rookie out there to get David Carr'ed anymore.

Teams just don't throw a rookie out there to get David Carr'ed anymore.
1. This statement is just not true at all. Just last season, 4 out of the 5 first QBs drafted started from Day 1.

2. Yes, him getting replaced is baked into his rankings, as it should be - but it's doubtful that's the extent of it. The Falcons are not going to be good next year, they have close to $50MM in dead cap money on the books. Why wouldn't they see what they have in Ridder before possibly taking a QB next year with their early pick?

3. Even if everyone was 100% positive Marcus Mariotta was going to start 17 games, (almost) no one is going to have him in the Top 20 QB rankings. It's pretty disingenuous to claim that the only reason he's not in the Top 20 is because he will be replaced (while ironically arguing he'll play 17 games).

12 team SF 

A gave Mariotta, 2.04

Yuck...this is why you can not get backed into a corner with QB depth in a SF...and why you can never have enough quality QBs because you will almost always be able to make a deal like this where you have hand...Mariotta is not the guy to be doing this for as there is far too much risk...he is most likely not a long-term fix and I also don't see him being anything too special while he is playing...the reality is you overpaid just so you could get a potentially viable short-term QB that is just not gonna move the needle much...you are now forced to draft Ridder at 2.4 (if he is there which he probably will be) but the issue there is he is a 3rd round pick so you may not even have locked down their QB position for the future while missing out another player that could potentially help you...teams that make deals like this do not win championships.

1. This statement is just not true at all. Just last season, 4 out of the 5 first QBs drafted started from Day 1.
Fields didn’t start week 1. Lance never did. The other teams didn’t have a legit option but to start Lawrence, Wilson and Jones. 
Honestly, Riddler wasn’t drafted to start. He’s drafted as a backup. Now, you may absolutely be right that they’ll want to see what he has and if he could possibly turn into a starter (same with Willis if Tennessee falls apart). 
The main problem I saw with MM is not Riddler, it’s that they’re almost guaranteed to draft Young or Stroud next year and MM becomes expendable if Riddler looks like a competent backup. 

I could see top 20. He’s a mobile QB and looked a lot better in relief with the Raiders than he did in TEN. 

2. Yes, him getting replaced is baked into his rankings, as it should be - but it's doubtful that's the extent of it. The Falcons are not going to be good next year, they have close to $50MM in dead cap money on the books. Why wouldn't they see what they have in Ridder before possibly taking a QB next year with their early pick?

3. Even if everyone was 100% positive Marcus Mariotta was going to start 17 games, (almost) no one is going to have him in the Top 20 QB rankings. It's pretty disingenuous to claim that the only reason he's not in the Top 20 is because he will be replaced (while ironically arguing he'll play 17 games).
1.  This isn't the 2021 draft class.  Only TLaw, Mac Jones, and Zach Wilson started from the get go.  Davis Mills was thrown into action when Tyrod Taylor went down.  Fields and Lance both played late in the season and neither looked ready. It's also a much weaker at the QB position.  I doubt any of the top 5 start from game 1 this season.

2.  There's no doubt ATL will be bad on both sides of the football.  More than enough reason to keep Ridder off the field until he's gotten up to game speed.

3.  THe #20 QB of last season was Jimmy G with a pedestrian 22TD/15INTs.  It is not out of the realm of possibility that Mariota can make those numbers, especially if he plays all 17 games.

Riddler was the worst Batman nemesis ever in what was probably the worst big-screen adaptation of Batman aside from Batman and Robin. Just that thing with question marks. And Jim Carrey with Tommy Lee Jones and that's just godawful. 

Riddler was the worst Batman nemesis ever in what was probably the worst big-screen adaptation of Batman aside from Batman and Robin. Just that thing with question marks. And Jim Carrey with Tommy Lee Jones and that's just godawful. 
Counterpoint: The Batman was quite good, and Paul Dano’s Riddler was excellent. Sure, he was an emo/brooding Bruce Wayne, but he was an excellent Batman, and the new Batmobile is 🔥.

3.  THe #20 QB of last season was Jimmy G with a pedestrian 22TD/15INTs.  It is not out of the realm of possibility that Mariota can make those numbers, especially if he plays all 17 games.
Partly agree. Good enough to be better than 2021 JimmyG.

May not keep Ridder off the field regardless. At some point teams always seem to get their rookies reps. And ATL may well be bad enough to be in a position where they need to decide whether to take Stroud, or Young, or one of the other rookie QBs in the 1st round. So they’ll need to evaluate Ridder to know what they have. 

I’d say MM starts ~12 games, if he stays healthy. 

I could see top 20. He’s a mobile QB and looked a lot better in relief with the Raiders than he did in TEN. 
We're not discussing "hope" that his owners may have - of course it's possible. Is it likely? - a quick look at any rankings would show it's considered a long shot - and we're talking general trade value here, not what one or two outliers may think.

We're not discussing "hope" that his owners may have - of course it's possible. Is it likely? - a quick look at any rankings would show it's considered a long shot - and we're talking general trade value here, not what one or two outliers may think.
I don’t disagree. I’m just sayin it’s possible.

I'm also sayin he’ll probably only start 12 games. 

Yes I admitted it's within the realm of possibility - but what is that really saying?

Jimmy G was 20th because of attrition - so yes if a lot of QBs get injured and Mariotta stays healthy and the team doesn't want to see Riddler in game action than Mariotta may finish in the Top 20 overall. That's a far cry from calling him a Top 20 QB.

Do you think anyone was comfortable starting Jimmy G last season?

Yes I admitted it's within the realm of possibility - but what is that really saying?

Jimmy G was 20th because of attrition - so yes if a lot of QBs get injured and Mariotta stays healthy and the team doesn't want to see Riddler in game action than Mariotta may finish in the Top 20 overall. That's a far cry from calling him a Top 20 QB.
Circling back to the original argument, guys like Mariota are the ones you want to grab for a 2nd QB in superflex, especially if limited draft capital is spent.  The original trade is Mariota + 2.04 for a (likely late) 23 1st.  That's not a ton of draft capital difference in a QB centric superflex league. 

Circling back to the original argument, guys like Mariota are the ones you want to grab for a 2nd QB in superflex, especially if limited draft capital is spent.  The original trade is Mariota + 2.04 for a (likely late) 23 1st.  That's not a ton of draft capital difference in a QB centric superflex league. 
We'll agree to disagree on that - seems like a bad use of resources to me, and I am accounting for SuperFlex.

Guys like Carr (pre-Adams) were good SF QB2 targets. Job security, capable of averaging ~20 a week.

MM is a “bridge QB” and the only way this works out to be worth it, IMO, is if he stays healthy & plays well for however many games he plays this year, then parlays this into a starting gig somewhere else.

He is only 28, which isn’t that old for a QB. 

I wouldn’t count on a full season of production from him, which is why I disagree that he’s a great SF target. 

Guys like Carr (pre-Adams) were good SF QB2 targets. Job security, capable of averaging ~20 a week.

MM is a “bridge QB” and the only way this works out to be worth it, IMO, is if he stays healthy & plays well for however many games he plays this year, then parlays this into a starting gig somewhere else.

He is only 28, which isn’t that old for a QB. 

I wouldn’t count on a full season of production from him, which is why I disagree that he’s a great SF target. 
Fair.  MM isn't a bridge I'm willing to die on, but here's the point.  In most superflex leagues, you need a QB2 with the potential to put up points.  Sometimes you have to take dart throws on guys like MM in order to be competitive.

Fair.  MM isn't a bridge I'm willing to die on, but here's the point.  In most superflex leagues, you need a QB2 with the potential to put up points.  Sometimes you have to take dart throws on guys like MM in order to be competitive.
Right. Which is an argument people like to make against SF. Of course this just pushes QB value closer to the real league. I was stuck staring tyrod and Mills a few games last year and finished 4th worst (injuries killed me too) despite having Kupp and a few other good players. 

Personally I took a dart throw pre-MM signing by dealing Huntley to the LJax owner hoping MM would get an opportunity to start.

But my team is actively tanking for the 1.01, and I saw MM starting in my SF spot as a good path to that, so….

Yuck...this is why you can not get backed into a corner with QB depth in a SF...and why you can never have enough quality QBs because you will almost always be able to make a deal like this where you have hand...Mariotta is not the guy is be doing this for as there is far too much risk...he is most likely not a long-term fix and I also don't see him being anything too special while he is playing...the reality is you overpaid just so you could get a potentially viable short-term QB that is just not gonna move the needle much...you are now forced to draft Ridder at 2.4 (if he is there which he probably will be) but the issue there is he is a 3rd round pick so you may not even have locked down their QB position for the future while missing out another player that could potentially help you...teams that make deals like this do not win championships.
No on the bolded (in FFPC anyway). Holding mediocre or bottom tier QBs comes at the expense of rostering possible studs at other positions, which means you can get these guys for much cheaper and don't need to spend this kind of capital to get them. I know you are saying you don't like the deal either, but it doesn't have to be as a result of lack of QB depth on their roster. It can just be because they are bad.

Nobody made them make this move. I just got Mariota in three SF rookie/FA drafts in the 3rd thru 5th rounds. Got Lock, Trubisky, Darnold in that same range. Bottom tier guys but they can be had. Again, because FFPC FA pool is deep. Somebody even dropped Brady in a SF. He went 1.08. 

You can also pick up backup QBs off waivers that are just as productive when the starter gets hurt/benched. Not the incoming rookies but the Huntleys and Minshews of the world. 

TLDR nobody needs to spend this much on Mariota. But I also think 2.04 is potentially much more valuable than is being given credit here.

I took 3rd place in the FPC in 2019 where 1st place was $250k. I could have made a different lineup decision in week 14 and I would have taken 1st.

Back when that POS movie came out in the 90s, there was a Taco Bell promotion where you had to get the 5 stickers to win the $250k. One day my roommate started screaming from upstairs "Where the #### is Alfred?! Where the #### is Alfred?!"

I'm like "dude calm down WTF are you talking about?"

So, we had both gone thru the drive thru a few days earlier and had both commented at the time "oh look it's Alfred the Butler, that's cool." And thought nothing more of it until he was screaming at me. He showed me the game rules brochure and he had the other 4 stickers lined up on the counter. Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Bruce Wayne, Robin. And Alfred was the one in a million or whatever that you needed to complete the set for $250k. 

I immediately started screaming "Where the #### is Alfred?! Where the #### is Alfred?!" It was clear as day in my head. We had both seen him that other night. And likely threw him in the garbage. We tore apart our apartment top to bottom. We detailed the #### out of both cars (even though we knew he had driven that night). We went into the dumpster but to no avail. Oh well. That roommate was super sketchy and I imagine if he had found Alfred before cluing me in, he wouldn't have said a word to me. And if *we* had found it together, it probably would have got weird like a Netflix special.

I hate that stupid movie. Thanks for reading, I have no new trades to report.

I took 3rd place in the FPC in 2019 where 1st place was $250k. I could have made a different lineup decision in week 14 and I would have taken 1st.
Argh. 

That is all I have for that anecdote. Start your studs? 

Back when that POS movie came out in the 90s, there was a Taco Bell promotion where you had to get the 5 stickers to win the $250k. One day my roommate started screaming from upstairs "Where the #### is Alfred?! Where the #### is Alfred?!"

I'm like "dude calm down WTF are you talking about?"

So, we had both gone thru the drive thru a few days earlier and had both commented at the time "oh look it's Alfred the Butler, that's cool." And thought nothing more of it until he was screaming at me. He showed me the game rules brochure and he had the other 4 stickers lined up on the counter. Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Bruce Wayne, Robin. And Alfred was the one in a million or whatever that you needed to complete the set for $250k. 

I immediately started screaming "Where the #### is Alfred?! Where the #### is Alfred?!" It was clear as day in my head. We had both seen him that other night. And likely threw him in the garbage. We tore apart our apartment top to bottom. We detailed the #### out of both cars (even though we knew he had driven that night). We went into the dumpster but to no avail. Oh well. That roommate was super sketchy and I imagine if he had found Alfred before cluing me in, he wouldn't have said a word to me. And if *we* had found it together, it probably would have got weird like a Netflix special.

I hate that stupid movie. Thanks for reading, I have no new trades to report.

It strikes me that it might have been a good thing you didn't find Alfred. Memory sure is a tricky thing. I hope that you enjoyed your tacos. 

What I'm taking away from that is that I'm hungry this morning. 

Argh. 

That is all I have for that anecdote. Start your studs? 

No it was the opposite. It would have been a stupid decision. Benching Lamar Jackson in 2019 for I forget which backup that blew up but it was easy to not feel bad about because I was never going to make that decision.
It strikes me that it might have been a good thing you didn't find Alfred. Memory sure is a tricky thing. I hope that you enjoyed your tacos. I'm a burrito guy but I'm sure it was delicious 25 years ago.

What I'm taking away from that is that I'm hungry this morning. 

Users who are viewing this thread