What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (19 Viewers)

Got the itch while looking at potential 2023 targets, my target year for the rebuild. Superflex, PPR, no K or D/ST. 6 pt all TDs. 

I already had a top 2 pick (control my own destiny, but there's one other rebuilding team) and I would really love to come away from 2023 with the top QB & RB, or possibly even 2 QBs of my 5x 1sts. 

My other 4 first round picks were likely to be mid (4-6), mid (6-8), late (7-9) and late (9-11)

Threw up a couple of offers, this was their counter. 

I gave Derek Carr, Kendrick Bourne, Cedrick Wilson, 2023 mid-1st pick, 2023 mid-3rd  and 2022 4.02

I received: Aman-Ra St. Brown, 2023 top 2 pick. 

So I should now be a lock for picks 1.01 & 1.02 in the 2023 draft, while still having 3 other 1st, 2x 2nds, 1x 3rd, 2 4ths and 5x 5ths

Plus I get a WR I like, who may or may not not be a flash in the pan but should be useful. I know he won't be as good as he was down the stretch without Hock & Swift, but IMO they won't stop throwing to him now that they know what he can be. 

TL:DR, traded journeyman Carr & 2 WRs I didn't need + a couple of picks to move one of my mid firsts from 6-8 up to a top 2 pick.  Definitely risky, as now my QB stable consists of a very shaky list of Zach Wilson, Daniel Jones, Tyler Huntley & Kellen Mond.  :unsure:   On the upside, having to start Wilson/Jones every week will likely help me to lose more games this year. 
Carr, Bourne, and Wilson don't do much for me really.  A mid 3rd and early 4th are dart throws so I like this move for you.  Especially if kind of trying to tank this year.  St. Brown looked good and worth a shot.  As long as that pick stays top 2, I like this type of move.

I like Elijah Moore, but I can’t get past that Jets thing mentally.
I'm right there with you.  Like the kid and might take him on some redraft leagues but don't think I pay for him in Dynasty as a Jets WR.  Just can't trust them and I'm not sure what to think of Wilson either.  I was never as high on him as many others seemed to be.

Carr, Bourne, and Wilson don't do much for me really.  A mid 3rd and early 4th are dart throws so I like this move for you.  Especially if kind of trying to tank this year.  St. Brown looked good and worth a shot.  As long as that pick stays top 2, I like this type of move.
Thanks - that's how I see it as well.

As I mentioned above,  the team I got that pick from is arguably worse than mine, and I've got a skeleton of a roster. 

The chasm between teams 1-10 and teams 11 & 12 is sizable. We could both win 3-4 more games this year & still be picks 1.01 & 1.02. 

Gave:

Dalvin Cook

Alexander Mattison

2022 1st Rd Pick (1.04)

Received:

D’Andre Swift

Trey Lance

A couple things of note: this is an orphan devy team that I took over. Dalvin is a stud, when healthy, and he will be turning 27 in August while Swift, who also has injury issues, just turned 23 in January. The QB pool is completely dry in this league. Before acquiring Lance my group consisted of Tannehill, Heinicke, and Mills. 
How many of this years projected class are already rostered? I haven’t played Devy in many years, but in my prior experience the 1.04 was usually more like a late 1st in a non-Devy league. This feels right to me as Lance is worth an early 2nd IMO in a non-Devy league. But I also value Swift quite a bit more than the Vike’s RB’s. I mean IMO Swift is likely a 1st round startup pick, Dalvin is probably going to slip to the 2nd round of drafts I would guess after another injury filled year and his age. You do have Mattison too but I think that just helps even out the difference in values.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard for me to grasp that people are still doing this.
It's psychological. 

Hey, I get it - I wouldn't want to invest in Dolphins or Texans right now. It's a bad bias, as those teams could produce some talent. 

But I'm investing in Jets & Lions a bit now. Just got the Sun God, and acquired Zach Wilson last season. The future could be bright for both of these teams. 

It's psychological. 

Hey, I get it - I wouldn't want to invest in Dolphins or Texans right now. It's a bad bias, as those teams could produce some talent. 

But I'm investing in Jets & Lions a bit now. Just got the Sun God, and acquired Zach Wilson last season. The future could be bright for both of these teams. 
To me it takes more than 1 injury filled Swift season to make me change my mind on them.  Biases happen and staying away from Lions/Jets/and some others has benefited me in the past.  So even missing slightly every now and then, I still come out more on top than not in that whole thing.  

To this day they still only have 2 1000 yard rushers in the past 20 years and none since 2013.  Think about that for a moment.  No matter what anyone else can say.  That is hard to ignore.  People can keep paying up for RBs in Detroit but it won't be me.

Lol.  I know, this was discussed at length last offseason.  I like his talent but he can't stay on the field either.  I had him in 2 redraft leagues so I don't hate him but the #2 overall prospect as a Dynasty RB right now?  That is just WAY too much love in my oppinion.
I do recall the conversation last year and it was mainly about Swift IIRC.

I do share the minor injury concerns with Swift and due to that would also not be put him at #2RB but he would fall somewhere in the 4-6 range for me due to youth, pass catching and OL.

Oh, I get it. I do like investing in WRs on teams with bad defenses though. :)  
That I agree with and loved me some Megatron.  Tate had some good years there.  I had a lot of shares in Kenny G when he had his breakout year.  I would take a shot on St. Brown too and did draft Cephus late in dynasty 2 years ago.

Jets are a little different to me just because of the way they work but I do like Moore.  I'd take him, just not sure I'd pay the price his owner would want.

The Lions seem to put up points but the Jets seem to struggle to score at times is what scares me but I totally agree that I like WRs on teams that have to throw a ton.  Pays off a lot.  Plus, due to bad team biases you can get them for cheap sometimes too.

Also, assuming that will be be a top 2 pick in 2023 is a big risk
It’s not that hard to project, really. I have my own 2023 1st and I would bet a hefty sum that it will be either 1.01 or 1.02. I’m in a complete rebuild, and there’s only one other team that has a roster even remotely close to as bad as mine. I sold off every good asset I had last year around Week 8 and now have 5 2023 1sts and 5 in 2024.

Draft order for the 4 non-playoff teams is also determined by Potential Points as well, so standings don’t really matter. At the moment, my only starting QB is Trey Lance and it’s a 2QB league. My best RB is D’onta Foreman. If someone snatches the 1.01 from me in 2023, well they deserve it and more power to em’. 

It’s not that hard to project, really. I have my own 2023 1st and I would bet a hefty sum that it will be either 1.01 or 1.02. I’m in a complete rebuild, and there’s only one other team that has a roster even remotely close to as bad as mine. I sold off every good asset I had last year around Week 8 and now have 5 2023 1sts and 5 in 2024.

Draft order for the 4 non-playoff teams is also determined by Potential Points as well, so standings don’t really matter. At the moment, my only starting QB is Trey Lance and it’s a 2QB league. My best RB is D’onta Foreman. If someone snatches the 1.01 from me in 2023, well they deserve it and more power to em’. 
Its easier to predict when it's your pick because you can make trades to help nudge you to the bottom.  When you are relying on another team you don't know what they are going to do.  That is what I was talking about.  

Yep. Almost identical scenario in my league. The bottom 2 teams are mine & another building team with arguably a worse roster than my own. 

If that team improves by +2-3 wins, all it does is flip flop our picks, because the 10th best team is a lot more competitive than either of ours. At worst I'll have 1 & 3, but that would take a series of catastrophic things to happen to one of the top 10 teams. 

If Lance becomes the next "next gen Konami Code QB" then you're loving this deal. 

As for the 49ers, seeing as one of those became pick #29, I'm liking it more for the 49ers. :shrug:  
Oh I’m happy to have him on board as well, in SF and fantasyland, and I never had a problem with the trade to begin with. I was just having a little fun tying my supposed fantasy overpay into the supposed real life overpay that many think it is. 

I think a lot of people have what he did without Gruden (granted, a lot of that was injury) baked into his price. I don't know what to think about your deal. I'm always more interested in hearing your reasoning anyway, and you do have a ton of draft capital. I just wonder if the 2023 second wouldn't have been more worth holding onto than this year's 2.08. 
Well yeah clearly the 2.08 would be better. 

He was injured. The connection between him and Carr is real with or without Gruden. They both (still) need another WR stud out there with them though. I am not worried about the outlook for Waller. IDK that the market is either.

DTC has it 29.4 to 20.9 in my favor.

My own ranks have it 34 to 25. 

KTC has me losing by the value of the 2nd, which they are saying is worth more than half the value of Waller or a mid to late current 1st, which I think is ludicrous. Try offering two 2nds for Waller and see if it works. If it does I will eat crow.

Hindery's most recent ranks have me winning 19 to 16 (using 2.08 as a proxy here) but that is not adjusted for TE premium.

I wouldn’t call what you paid (1.08 and an early 2nd) cheap.  Especially for a team in so-called rebuild mode.
Wow I sure would. 

Not directed at anyone in particular but:

All of those ranks and calcs are noise compared to the more important point. I now have a difference making TE where I didn't before. If this were the 2020 or 2021 draft class I would probably be less eager to move current picks for productive vets. I still think Waller is elite.

I swear people in FF think you have to rebuild forever. I highly suggest some of you try FFPC. There are tons of teams available right now and startups around the corner.

Oh I’m happy to have him on board as well, in SF and fantasyland, and I never had a problem with the trade to begin with. I was just having a little fun tying my supposed fantasy overpay into the supposed real life overpay that many think it is. 
Same - I thought the media freak out over what the Niners paid was both predictable and exaggerated. They wanted their guy. They got their guy. Now it's up to them to develop their guy. 

If they don't, and if Lance isn't, it's probably the last move like this Shanny will ever be trusted with by any team. 

I'm optimistic. The window is there to compete now if Lance proves to be worthy of his pre-draft hype. 

DTC has it 29.4 to 20.9 in my favor.

My own ranks have it 34 to 25. 
I think you got a decent value there regardless of what calcs say. Team in my league sent a '22 1st & a '23 2nd & Higbee for Waller. 

And as you said, you now have an elite TE. Buying off injury is the perfect time to acquire him, IMO. 

At 29, he's not young - IMO, that's the only knock on this deal. But as you said, you can't rebuild forever. Just be aware that Waller may be retiring on your roster in a few years. 

Hard for me to grasp that people are still doing this.
It's amazing how people think "the Jets" or "the Lions" are some living breathing entities - and it doesn't matter that a totally different GM and HC regime is running the show. Lets worry about what Todd Bowles and Wayne Fontes did when they were in charge.

Even if it was true that you couldn't find a fantasy asset on a bad team (which of course is not true) - haven't we seen how fast things turn around in the NFL?

The Bengals were 2-14 in 2019 and 4-11-1 in 2020. 

I think part of the reason I feel it is an overpay is because I don't think they needed to come all the way to 3 to get him.  Fields fell to 11.  I feel they probably could have got away with giving up 2 1sts, a 3rd, and maybe another pick and kept the 3rd one.  If it works out though, I'm all for it.

I gave Derek Carr, Kendrick Bourne, Cedrick Wilson, 2023 mid-1st pick, 2023 mid-3rd  and 2022 4.02

I received: Aman-Ra St. Brown, 2023 top 2 pick. 

So I should now be a lock for picks 1.01 & 1.02 in the 2023 draft, while still having 3 other 1st, 2x 2nds, 1x 3rd, 2 4ths and 5x 5ths
I like it. Even if Amon-Ra gets drafted over, he has proven he can play well at this level and has a bright (enough) future. I think he is my early pick for who will be the most moved player this offseason.

Anyway yes you are a little weak at QB but I think Z Wilson has good fundamentals and needs the game to slow down. If that happens and is able to take a year 2 leap then he could pay off. If I had room I would buy Huntley from you if I were the Lamar owner. And I really hate Jones (ask Meno) but he is young and has talent and it is hard to believe the new regime could be worse. 

Anyway I like it. I think C Wilson has a path to blow up but it isn't super likely. It is also possible that Amon-Ra also takes a 2nd year leap as many WRs do. Def a deal I would have done. 

It's amazing how people think "the Jets" or "the Lions" are some living breathing entities - and it doesn't matter that a totally different GM and HC regime is running the show. Lets worry about what Todd Bowles and Wayne Fontes did when they were in charge.

Even if it was true that you couldn't find a fantasy asset on a bad team (which of course is not true) - haven't we seen how fast things turn around in the NFL?

The Bengals were 2-14 in 2019 and 4-11-1 in 2020. 
The Bengals still had big time fantasy assets though in those years.  Teams change GMs and coaches all the time but doesn't stop the Lions from not winning a playoff game since 1991 or the Jags from having a winning record in any year but one in the last like 10. 

Bad Franchises continue to make bad decisions.  It is the same thing we say in this when we see bad trades by bad teams.  There is a reason why bad teams stay bad teams.  They are living entities as the person who makes the important decisions (owners) rarely change.

Why should we waste any-time thinking about something as irrelevant as that? 

Please explain how Kerry Johnson or Ameer Abdullah failing has any bearing on D'Andre Swift? 
We don't need to hash this out like last year but Swift has had 2 tries and still hasn't got 1k yards.  Injury prone.  Also, if I remember correctly, there were people that were high on both Abdullah and Johnson at times.  Not as high as Swift but it was still there.

The Bengals still had big time fantasy assets though in those years.  Teams change GMs and coaches all the time but doesn't stop the Lions from not winning a playoff game since 1991 or the Jags from having a winning record in any year but one in the last like 10. 

Bad Franchises continue to make bad decisions.  It is the same thing we say in this when we see bad trades by bad teams.  There is a reason why bad teams stay bad teams.  They are living entities as the person who makes the important decisions (owners) rarely change.
You've convinced me. Elijah Moore will likely suck because Stephen Hill sucked. 

Why should we waste any-time thinking about something as irrelevant as that? 

Please explain how Kerry Johnson or Ameer Abdullah failing has any bearing on D'Andre Swift? 
And if you don't learn from the past, you are doomed to repeat it so not irrelevant.  We won't ever agree as I'm pretty sure both you and I were in on this conversation last year but even if it was injury related, he still didn't have a good year.  Not top 10 (sure as heck not top 2) worthy.  I'd rather miss that 1 time it does happen out of 20+ years than keep thinking it can happen and have a Lions RB every year that can't produce like he should.

We don't need to hash this out like last year but Swift has had 2 tries and still hasn't got 1k yards.  Injury prone.  Also, if I remember correctly, there were people that were high on both Abdullah and Johnson at times.  Not as high as Swift but it was still there.
Swift has got banged up - but that's not predictive going forward, necessarily - but as to the bold that's a pretty non-compelling argument - does your league not award points for TDs and receiving yards? He's been a top scorer on a per game basis each of the last two seasons.  

And if you don't learn from the past, you are doomed to repeat it so not irrelevant.  We won't ever agree as I'm pretty sure both you and I were in on this conversation last year but even if it was injury related, he still didn't have a good year.  Not top 10 (sure as heck not top 2) worthy.  I'd rather miss that 1 time it does happen out of 20+ years than keep thinking it can happen and have a Lions RB every year that can't produce like he should.
Swift didn't have a good year? 

He finished as RB11 on a points per game basis and you get to start another RB when he's injured.

Swift has got banged up - but that's not predictive going forward, necessarily - but as to the bold that's a pretty non-compelling argument - does your league not award points for TDs and receiving yards? He's been a top scorer on a per game basis each of the last two seasons.  
Per game he wasn't bad at all no but availability is a major ability.  That matters.  Like I said a while back, I did have him on 2 of my redraft leagues so I'm not a hard core hater.  Just run my dynasty team differently on purpose.  I'd trade for Swift at the right price but I think he is highly overrated as proved by him being ranked RB2 in some dynasty rankings.

I like it. Even if Amon-Ra gets drafted over, he has proven he can play well at this level and has a bright (enough) future. I think he is my early pick for who will be the most moved player this offseason.

Anyway yes you are a little weak at QB but I think Z Wilson has good fundamentals and needs the game to slow down. If that happens and is able to take a year 2 leap then he could pay off. If I had room I would buy Huntley from you if I were the Lamar owner. And I really hate Jones (ask Meno) but he is young and has talent and it is hard to believe the new regime could be worse. 

Anyway I like it. I think C Wilson has a path to blow up but it isn't super likely. It is also possible that Amon-Ra also takes a 2nd year leap as many WRs do. Def a deal I would have done. 
Thanks so much for the detailed response. 

I know a lot can change from 2022-2023, but the thought of being able to take say, Bryce Young & Bijan Robinson 1.01-1.02 makes me positively giddy. And if it's 2 other players that rise to the top picks, I'll be just as happy taking them.  But the idea of sucking all year, only to wind up missing the top QB prospect by accidentally winning 1 too many games and having 1.02 concerned me.

With such a deep draft I feel like if I get lucky I'll be able to build a really strong core for the future in '23 with 1, 2 and still 3 more 1sts. No idea who I'll get in 2022 at 1.08, but I'm thinking WR if my league does it usual 1-2-3 QB schtick. Possible one of the QBs falls, and also possible one of the RBs I like is there, but I like this year's WRs more. 

As for Ced Wilson, I am also high on him, but at 26, I liked getting younger with Amon-Ra, and having the potential WR1 in DET over the WR3 in DAL. 

Appreciate the response.  :hifive:

Its easier to predict when it's your pick because you can make trades to help nudge you to the bottom.  When you are relying on another team you don't know what they are going to do.  That is what I was talking about.  
Ordinarily I would agree, but in this circumstance it's as close to a lock as possible. I don't have the time to post their roster, but I'm reasonably sure you'd agree if you saw it. Plus they don't have a ton of 2022 draft picks to build with.

Ordinarily I would agree, but in this circumstance it's as close to a lock as possible. I don't have the time to post their roster, but I'm reasonably sure you'd agree if you saw it. Plus they don't have a ton of 2022 draft picks to build with.
It sounds like you thought this out and looked everything over completely.  I think it was a good move.  Not without a little risk but few trades are.  A rebuild can get kicked off to a great start with 1 and 2 in a good draft.

Fair enough but there have been many years where I thought a certain team would be terrible and finish last and they end up having a couple guys have career years and no injuries and good schedule luck and they are fighting for a title.  It can happen and banking on a pick being a certain way two years from now is a big gamble no matter what it appears today.  

Fair enough but there have been many years where I thought a certain team would be terrible and finish last and they end up having a couple guys have career years and no injuries and good schedule luck and they are fighting for a title.  It can happen and banking on a pick being a certain way two years from now is a big gamble no matter what it appears today.  
True, and I won't dispute this. 

But here's the thing - if that happens, and they have more success than anticipated, then at the very least / worst case scenario, I am ensuring I get 1.01, because there's no way in hell I'm winning more than 4 games in 2022. That I did in 2021 was an absolute fluke of the schedule catching teams in BYE weeks, and having my youths all blow up at once one time. 

So that's still worth the move to me.  I'm not going to win anything with Derek Carr. I might with the Falcons, Panthers or Seahawks (or whichever team's) next franchise QB. 

Perhaps. I didn’t check any sites before offering the trade but the majority of dynasty ones have Lance as a top 8 QB and Swift as a top 5 RB, with several of them ranking him at #2 only behind Taylor. I don’t know if I agree with all of that but that’s what I’ve seen. Cook typically ranks around 10. One of them has a “Dynasty Trade Calculator” (take that for what it’s worth) and when I plugged all of the pieces into it it said I gave up 113 pts of trade value and received 107 back. I’ll take that and it has to be considered, as I mentioned before, my QBs were Mills, Tannehill, and Heinicke with nothing available in the FA pool. I feel like I’m getting a jump start on building up this orphan with the following pieces in place now:

Lance

Swift, Etienne, Jacobs, Spiller

Chase, Dio Johnson, Aiyuk, Kirk

Fant

A lot of this will come down to how well Lance pans out but hey at least I didn’t spend 3 1st rounders to find out, right? 
Maybe you got out from cook a year too early, but I'd rather be too early than too late.   Plus the injury history leaves some cause for concern.   Fine deal

barackdhouse said:
FFPC 1QB

I gave 1.08, 2023 2nd (probably early - this team of mine is a total rebuild)
I got Waller

Dude insta accepted so although I feel this is cheap it looks like I could have had for less. Oh well I love it.
STud TEs are so hard to acquire, but in a rebuild, and this draft class coming up....mcbride, widermeyer, likely, I may have tried to roll the dice on a rook in a rebuild.    Can't fault you a ton either direction.   That position for a stud you usually are paying extra

You cant be scared to make trades just because something "could" happen

STud TEs are so hard to acquire, but in a rebuild, and this draft class coming up....mcbride, widermeyer, likely, I may have tried to roll the dice on a rook in a rebuild.    Can't fault you a ton either direction.   That position for a stud you usually are paying extra
Yeah I would imagine he will get more later for Waller, and should.

I am not saying that.  I have no issue making trades based on your beliefs.  My point was trading for a pick only because you think you know where it will end up is a fools errand.  If you are content with where ever it ends up with the upside of 1.02 then do it.

This is true. 

But I believe @Gally's point is you also can only so accurately predict the future. And the further out, the more difficult it becomes. 

Heck, my complete tear-down/rebuild team won 4 games this year, and I was only carrying 27/30 roster spots. In one of the later weeks, my team shockingly put up the highest score all year - it was nuts. Just happened to get the combination of Pittman, Gabe Davis, Pitts, Bourne, Pringle, Carr, Wilson, Bolden, Uzomah & RoJo breaking out all at once.  Might have been Cole, I don't quite remember. But yeah, I knocked a team out of the playoffs that week. No one in the league would ever have expected that from me. 

But for this deal, while nothing is guaranteed, the failsafe is that I will definitely have pick 1.01 after this deal, so getting the 1st round pick from the other "worst team in the league" pretty much locks up 1.01 (whether it's me or my trade partner), which was my goal. I covet that 1.01. If the other one is 1.03, or even 1.04, I'm still thrilled. I love me some 2023 prospects, and there should be even more players to love as we get closer to the 2023 draft.  I'm excited for it. I hope I go 0-16 this year. :pickle:  

I am not saying that.  I have no issue making trades based on your beliefs.  My point was trading for a pick only because you think you know where it will end up is a fools errand.  If you are content with where ever it ends up with the upside of 1.02 then do it.
Some people are better at it than others.   

Also, without the full context of the roster of that team plus their available picks, along with the other rosters it's hard to adequately debate the deal.

Knowing a little about the other owner can be helpful as well

Knowing a little about the other owner can be helpful as well
they’ve been in last place every year since the league’s inception. They made some trades last year in attempt to improve & finished with 2 wins.

They don’t have a 1st round pick in 2022, but they do have 2-3-4, which I don’t think will make them a lot more competitive. 

Maybe you got out from cook a year too early, but I'd rather be too early than too late.   Plus the injury history leaves some cause for concern.   Fine deal
Sorta my thought process as well. I’m not one of those “I want to acquire all of the youngest talent possible” dynasty players. I want to win championships. Which I did quite often in my previous league that disbanded after the 2020 season. I took last year off from fantasy (my 1st time since 1995!) and I thought the only way that I might get back into it is if I had a shot of taking over an orphan and getting my hands on Ja’Marr Chase at the same time. Just so happens that that opportunity presented itself the other day. So I’m back! 😆

Very strong chance I will. I have lots of picks still.

Users who are viewing this thread