What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Elden Ring Thread - Tips, Tricks, Builds... Calling it now - 2022's Game of the Year. (1 Viewer)

jwb

Footballguy
Enough of us are playing this awesome game that it should have its own thread. Post your experiences, discoveries, tips, tricks, and all that good stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still tooling around the beginning area, looking for every hole in the ground and stairs down. Dying left and right, and loving every second of it. I got the wolf summons, used it and ran to take on the tree sentinel, and still died quickly. More ashes please? 

I made about half a dozen attempts at Tree Sentinel and never got him down to anything lower than half health.  Not sure that I even got that far.  I think he's the first boss you encounter the tutorial just to teach new players that you can go off and do other stuff if you get stuck.  He's quite a lot harder than the other bosses I've fought so far (small sample size, but still).  

Anybody on the fence about this game needs to understand that it is a Souls game.  It's not Skyrim, Far Cry, Horizon, or whatever other open world games you're familiar with.  You're going to die a ton, and the game doesn't really explain a whole lot.  I think it's fantastic so far, but it definitely falls into the "not for everyone" bucket.

I made about half a dozen attempts at Tree Sentinel and never got him down to anything lower than half health.  Not sure that I even got that far.  I think he's the first boss you encounter the tutorial just to teach new players that you can go off and do other stuff if you get stuck.  He's quite a lot harder than the other bosses I've fought so far (small sample size, but still).  

Anybody on the fence about this game needs to understand that it is a Souls game.  It's not Skyrim, Far Cry, Horizon, or whatever other open world games you're familiar with.  You're going to die a ton, and the game doesn't really explain a whole lot.  I think it's fantastic so far, but it definitely falls into the "not for everyone" bucket.
This is my first Souls game I've excepted the fact I'm going to die alot and learning to mount up on Torrent, fast as I can and get the hell out of Dodge is a good strategy. 

If you had anything you wanted to say to the good folks at Fort Haight, I'm afraid you've missed your chance.  :)   Or at least I think so.  I encountered an NPC who is directing me back there, so we'll see I guess.

The wolves just absolutely trivialized a boss I encountered in a side dungeon today.  No idea what the boss's moveset even was.  He just got basically stunlocked by the wolves and I spammed that starting spell until he died.  Not the most aesthetically pleasing approach, but I'll take it.  I still haven't crafted anything yet or figured out how weapon ashes work.  I need to find one to get some magic scaling.

I want this game (never done a Souls game before), but I am doing my best to play it on a PS5. I just can't find one at all.  :no:  
I have the PS5, but like you never played a Souls game. Still watching a bunch of Twitch streams to see if I should drop the bills. I'm one of those patient gamers who will wait a year for a game to come out with an all-in-one edition for like $20-30. Haven't spent a full $60 ($70 now on PS5?) on a game in years.

I have Bloodborne for free since that comes with the PS5, but I've been reading this is a solid step above even that. Kind of like a culmination of all the From Software team has learned so far doing all these games. I'm thinking I may as well start with the best.

Taking the plunge. The game looks like a true adventure and journey.

And yes….I will die and die a 100 times over.

I have the PS5, but like you never played a Souls game. Still watching a bunch of Twitch streams to see if I should drop the bills. I'm one of those patient gamers who will wait a year for a game to come out with an all-in-one edition for like $20-30. Haven't spent a full $60 ($70 now on PS5?) on a game in years.

I have Bloodborne for free since that comes with the PS5, but I've been reading this is a solid step above even that. Kind of like a culmination of all the From Software team has learned so far doing all these games. I'm thinking I may as well start with the best.
Bloodborne was awesome.   That was actually the first souls game I ever played.  Than I went and played them all

I want this game (never done a Souls game before), but I am doing my best to play it on a PS5. I just can't find one at all.  :no:  
You will want to double check this but I read that if you buy it on the PS4 you get a free upgrade to the PS five version when you find one.

I am having so much fun. I played Saturday night until 5:30 am and forced myself to quit. 

Im now level 21and have most of the sorcery spells and a very good wand. I am now starting to wreck havoc. 

Not sure how I feel about the summon spirit stiff - will it be OP? I have a jellyfish, wolves, (respawning) Skeletons and another one that I’m not sure what it’s called but it’s two halberd wielding knights. 

I need a good weapon now. I’m the kinda guy who doesn’t like to waste materials unless the weapon warrants it. I just haven’t found one that I like yet. 

I need a good weapon now. I’m the kinda guy who doesn’t like to waste materials unless the weapon warrants it. I just haven’t found one that I like yet. 
Same, but in other Souls games it always seems like you can safely take any weapon up to +3 without actually wasting any crafting resources.  (Those lower-level stones are typically either widely available or purchase-able).  Not sure if that's confirmed to be the case with this one or not, but you're definitely right that it feels like smithing stones are hard to come by here.

Found a couple of more rune farming places. If you go from the third  church of Marika there's a portal that takes you to a area where there are about 6 or 7 guys you can easily kill that give 1035 runes. Also if you go around the Dragon on the bridge there's a chessy ball thing you can keep triggering that gives you over 2000 runes but it's not always consistent.  Also in that area is a boss who only spawns at night. You can drag him through a poison trap field that will kill him giving you 42000 runes.

Started as a wretch and going quality. 

Was having a terrible time two handing my sword ("it's too short!" heh heh) until I figured out that hold y *then* R1 was a lot easier than successfully pressing them simultaneously.  

Acquired a few spirit summons but not sure I know how to call them.  Slot them like a consumable?  

Same, but in other Souls games it always seems like you can safely take any weapon up to +3 without actually wasting any crafting resources.  (Those lower-level stones are typically either widely available or purchase-able).  Not sure if that's confirmed to be the case with this one or not, but you're definitely right that it feels like smithing stones are hard to come by here.
There is a mine near the start of the game.  Near the dragon boss.  There are like 10 smithing stones in there

another helpful tip:

when you can access the roundtable do this:

talk to the blacksmith.  choose the dialog option towards the bottom of the choices.

then go talk to rodricka(sp?)  shes also the one you find on the road up to stormveil castle to the right of the save point and gives you the jelly fish summon.  shes standing near the fire in the first round table area

then go back and talk to blacksmith again

then reload the roundtable area

rodricka will now have a shop next to the blacksmith.  you can level up your summons with her.  only problem is I dont know where to find the mats to level stuff up.  I leveled the jellyfish up to +1 and he really helps with the first big boss

also go back to where you first met rodricka at the shack near the save point.  she will be gone but there will be a golden seed that you can use to level up your flasks.

and yeah I wish I wasn't at work right now so i could play some more.  I'm hooked

I have a serious question

So the other Souls games "made sense" in the fact you die - you go back to start of the level you are trying to beat

How does this aspect work in an open world environment?

another helpful tip:

when you can access the roundtable do this:

talk to the blacksmith.  choose the dialog option towards the bottom of the choices.

then go talk to rodricka(sp?)  shes also the one you find on the road up to stormveil castle to the right of the save point and gives you the jelly fish summon.  shes standing near the fire in the first round table area

then go back and talk to blacksmith again

then reload the roundtable area

rodricka will now have a shop next to the blacksmith.  you can level up your summons with her.  only problem is I dont know where to find the mats to level stuff up.  I leveled the jellyfish up to +1 and he really helps with the first big boss

also go back to where you first met rodricka at the shack near the save point.  she will be gone but there will be a golden seed that you can use to level up your flasks.

and yeah I wish I wasn't at work right now so i could play some more.  I'm hooked
I keep trying this but so far she's still at the shack and not at roundtable hold.

So the other Souls games "made sense" in the fact you die - you go back to start of the level you are trying to beat

Never played a Souls game but in this game if you can't beat a boss just go somewhere else and level. 

I'm in the same boat. Intrigued but still very hesitant. I tried Demon Souls but just couldn't connect with it.

Are all you guys on the same platform, does it matter?  PC, Xbox?
Xbox here.

The only discernible difference is the PC version I think is a little buggy right now. Probably more prone to cheaters and mods but that’s always the case.

PS4 and PS five can play with each other

Xbox for an Xbox series S & X can all play with each other

PS4/PS5 cannot play with Xbox users and vise versa. 

It kind of works the same - there are "sites of Grace" (e.g. bonfires) all over the place. You need to rest at them to level up/etc. And when you die, you go back to last one you rested at. There is also a mechanic that has sort of "checkpoints" between them, and you can optionally respawn at the closest one of those (I think - maybe it's the last one you passed). 

It's pretty intuitive/seamless, and it's really no different than the bonfires we're used to. 

Anyone made it to godrick yet?   I beat that dude on the first try.  That never happens.....

Mile High said:
Found a couple of more rune farming places. If you go from the third  church of Marika there's a portal that takes you to a area where there are about 6 or 7 guys you can easily kill that give 1035 runes. Also if you go around the Dragon on the bridge there's a chessy ball thing you can keep triggering that gives you over 2000 runes but it's not always consistent.  Also in that area is a boss who only spawns at night. You can drag him through a poison trap field that will kill him giving you 42000 runes.
I just came in here to post this.  

The guys that Mile High is talking about are these little obsidian mage-looking guys.  They hit like a truck and will probably kill you if you aren't careful.  They have a spell that is one-shotting me at VIT = 15.  But a) you can sneak up behind them and backstab them, which is admittedly a little easier said than done because it's kind of hard to see these guys and it's definitely hard to tell what way they're looking, and b) they have zero poise, which means you can stunlock them.  They are very easy to kill if you get the drop on them and keep each encounter one on one.  I'm pretty sure there are more than just 6-7 but I can't quite tell.  I've only done it a couple of times and I can't get a count.

For perspective, I have INT = 20 and I'm running a greatsword +2 with magic scaling thanks to an ash of war.  A successful backstab almost one-hits these guys -- only one follow-up swing is needed to finish the job.  It takes like a dozen or so regular R1 attacks, but again they get stunlocked and can't fight back, so if you have enough endurance you can just slaughter them.  I don't have that much so I have to back off and let it recover, but NBD.  The key thing is never to draw aggro from more than one.  

If you die, it is trivially easy to run back and reclaim your runes.  (Open the door to the church behind you for a grace point).  

That boss didn't spawn at first, but it did spawn the second time I tried this.  Passing time didn't help, and I he was up and about in broad daylight for me.  I think you can sneak by him and then murder all the little guys, but I would need to experiment a bit to confirm this.  I had no idea about the poison field trap -- I'll have to play around with that.  Cheesing a boss at a ridiculously low level is one of the underrated joys of these games.

Anyone made it to goddert yet?   I beat that dude on the first try.  That never happens.....
That's the boss of Stormveil, right?  I died to Margrit on my first try a couple days ago and wandered off to explore other areas.  I really wanted a magic INT-scaling weapon and some spirit animals before attempting a serious dungeon.  I should probably go there now -- I'm level 30 and I'm happy with how my build is going. 

That's the boss of Stormveil, right?  I died to Margrit on my first try a couple days ago and wandered off to explore other areas.  I really wanted a magic INT-scaling weapon and some spirit animals before attempting a serious dungeon.  I should probably go there now -- I'm level 30 and I'm happy with how my build is going. 
Yes. Level up the jelly.  Hes a beast. 

I'm lvl 30.   You should be good.  Prepare for a long ### dungeon but at least there are a few save points.

Yes. Level up the jelly.  Hes a beast. 

I'm lvl 30.   You should be good.  Prepare for a long ### dungeon but at least there are a few save points.
How do you level up the spirts? I tried Margrit today he would kill the jellyfish before I could bring him down after that he would destroy me I got him down to about 15 to 20%  heath left.

How do you level up the spirts? I tried Margrit today he would kill the jellyfish before I could bring him down after that he would destroy me I got him down to about 15 to 20%  heath left.

It's some kind of plant.  Forget the name, you can get them in underground dungeons.   I only had a plus one jelly for that first boss though.  I have found a couple more but they are hard to find 

I just came in here to post this.  

The guys that Mile High is talking about are these little obsidian mage-looking guys.  They hit like a truck and will probably kill you if you aren't careful.  They have a spell that is one-shotting me at VIT = 15.  But a) you can sneak up behind them and backstab them, which is admittedly a little easier said than done because it's kind of hard to see these guys and it's definitely hard to tell what way they're looking, and b) they have zero poise, which means you can stunlock them.  They are very easy to kill if you get the drop on them and keep each encounter one on one.  I'm pretty sure there are more than just 6-7 but I can't quite tell.  I've only done it a couple of times and I can't get a count.

For perspective, I have INT = 20 and I'm running a greatsword +2 with magic scaling thanks to an ash of war.  A successful backstab almost one-hits these guys -- only one follow-up swing is needed to finish the job.  It takes like a dozen or so regular R1 attacks, but again they get stunlocked and can't fight back, so if you have enough endurance you can just slaughter them.  I don't have that much so I have to back off and let it recover, but NBD.  The key thing is never to draw aggro from more than one.  

If you die, it is trivially easy to run back and reclaim your runes.  (Open the door to the church behind you for a grace point).  

That boss didn't spawn at first, but it did spawn the second time I tried this.  Passing time didn't help, and I he was up and about in broad daylight for me.  I think you can sneak by him and then murder all the little guys, but I would need to experiment a bit to confirm this.  I had no idea about the poison field trap -- I'll have to play around with that.  Cheesing a boss at a ridiculously low level is one of the underrated joys of these games.
Yeah there's 20 or so. This is in Greyolls Dragonbarrow. I'm using the sites of grace "farum greatbridge" just to the left of the bridge where a Dragon sets. If you go up the hill and to the East you'll see a path leading down and there's a bunch of prison traps. They won't kill you. You'll cross a bridge and come to "Lennes Rise". At night a boss Spawns on the bridge. Ride by him, aggro him and bring him up the hill destroying as many of the traps as you can, they will kill him, giving you 42000 or 45000 runes.

I had no idea about the poison field trap -- I'll have to play around with that.  Cheesing a boss at a ridiculously low level is one of the underrated joys of these games.

Yea, it's so awesome when that happens. 

I heard about this tonight and did it - it was great! Then I almost lost my runes because I fell off the horse and was poisoned and the plant guys were hitting me. I'm stumbling around trying to get back to the original checkpoint... barely made it. So worth it. Made my dex samurai a decent-enough spellblade right away.

It's some kind of plant.  Forget the name, you can get them in underground dungeons.   I only had a plus one jelly for that first boss though.  I have found a couple more but they are hard to find 
Grave/Ghost Glovewort is the plant. Been a good night playing my Astrologer. Beat Margitt,  got the spirit chick to the hold, did Stromfront Catacombs to get materials to level up the jellyfish and wolves got 2 more spirts, made decent progress into the Castle. Did so much with my mage, probably will be my main now.

Wish I could buy this once and play on multiple platforms.   Got it on ps5 but would love to play in on my laptop as well. Might buy it twice.   Is that bad lol

Has anybody seen anything reliable about how weapon scaling works?  I added an ash of war to my sword that switched the scaling around so that it now has D scaling for INT (it's currently +3 -- I'm sure that scaling will improve a bit if I continue to upgrade this weapon).  It is definitely doing magic damage.  But I just leveled up my Intelligence three levels, and it resulted in only four extra points of damage on my weapon.  It went from just under 260 per hit to just over 260.  It seems like I should be getting more additional damage per level since there's no way I'm anywhere close to any sort of soft cap.  (INT = 23 currently).  

Summoning is great. Definitely a fun mechanic that makes you feel not-so-alone in tough fights. I'm a fan. 

I like the little improvements / additions to the souls formula. Sneaking and horseback are also incredible, and really add to the game, without making it too easy. FromSoft nailed this. 

Ok so Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel in the Liurnia Region north east has a crystal boss that drops a bell you can give that monument in the round table.  Then it will sell you level 1 and level 2 smithing shards.   My guy is like lvl 33 and I was able to beat him.

anyone have a level rec for the dragon in the lake? I'm not supposed to go near him for a while, right?  

Found a better farming spot.  Ypu can get like 7 to 10k runes in a couple minutes per run

Go to third church of Marika.   Near the church is a stream. Follow it.   You will see a portal.   Use it.   Takes you to dragon area.  Turn around and head down the hill.  at the bridge is a grace point.   This is where the run starts.    Head slowly back to where you ported from.  Back stab all the little guys you see.  They are strong and will kill you straight up.  But they are worth over 1k a piece and all over the place. And they die easy if backstabbed.

Found a better farming spot.  Ypu can get like 7 to 10k runes in a couple minutes per run

Go to third church of Marika.   Near the church is a stream. Follow it.   You will see a portal.   Use it.   Takes you to dragon area.  Turn around and head down the hill.  at the bridge is a grace point.   This is where the run starts.    Head slowly back to where you ported from.  Back stab all the little guys you see.  They are strong and will kill you straight up.  But they are worth over 1k a piece and all over the place. And they die easy if backstabbed.
Been farming there for days. That's also in the area where you can drag the boss at night though the poison trap field for 42000 runes. Also the chessy ball thing that gives you 1950 runes when you successfully pull it off.

Users who are viewing this thread