What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** FFA Heavy Music Thread - No banal, anodyne "Dad Rock" BS here.. (2 Viewers)

Sex Pistols.

Sometimes, punk and metal are pretty close...
Agreed, but they're straight punk, not metal. A no. In fact, just about any punk band would be a no, with a few exceptions, where there were crossover tendencies, like the Misfits, Rollins Band, and Suicidal.

It seems to me the ONLY reason Zep isn't metal is because they are too diverse to be called metal.

Now that I am officially lost, Evilgrin, I'll leave the thread never to speak of it again

;)

I should have asked about Ministry before they were mentioned.

I saw them live exactly once ... and it was just about a straight metal show except that they were light on the guitar solos and heavy on industrial effects. Their energy and fervor are metal-like ... the music is not.

Metal is a genre of music, not a badge of honor.
You're making what I think is a valuable distinction:a) metal bands, and

b) bands who have metal songs in their repetoire

So here, you're addressing the acts that fall within (a).

If you were interested in addressing the (b) bands, this thread could venture far and wide -- Neil Young, Foreigner, Rush, Queen, Heart -- and heck, even Prince -- have done metal. They just aren't metal.
:thumbup: Of those, Queen is the only one that might be considered metal, IMO. I can go either way on them.

Metal is a genre of music, not a badge of honor.
You're making what I think is a valuable distinction:a) metal bands, and

b) bands who have metal songs in their repetoire

So here, you're addressing the acts that fall within (a).

If you were interested in addressing the (b) bands, this thread could venture far and wide -- Neil Young, Foreigner, Rush, Queen, Heart -- and heck, even Prince -- have done metal. They just aren't metal.
:thumbup: Of those, Queen is the only one that might be considered metal, IMO. I can go either way on them.
<_< Get off the fence.

It seems to me the ONLY reason Zep isn't metal is because they are too diverse to be called metal.

Now that I am officially lost, Evilgrin, I'll leave the thread never to speak of it again

;)
It's not the only reason, but it's a big one.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes (more in his latter days, even though the music was weaker)

Yes
WHAT???Van Halen isn't metal??? EVH defined what a metal guitarist is. How can they not be metal? I'll agree that Van Hagar might not have been metal, but the original VH is certainly metal.

If the definition of what is and what is not metal changes every 5 years, how will you ever know what is metal? VH was CERTAINLY considered metal when they came out. That I know.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes
WHAT???Van Halen isn't metal??? EVH defined what a metal guitarist is. How can they not be metal? I'll agree that Van Hagar might not have been metal, but the original VH is certainly metal.

If the definition of what is and what is not metal changes every 5 years, how will you ever know what is metal? VH was CERTAINLY considered metal when they came out. That I know.
I'll clarify. VH was fringe metal from VH1 through Diver Down. 1984 began a transformation into being a decidely non-metal band. There were too many bands on that list to do a detailed synopsis like I did here (and with Soundgarden), so I went "no" because the current incarnation is not. However, their first albums were, you're 100% correct.

Of those, Queen is the only one that might be considered metal, IMO. I can go either way on them.
You'd have to split their career in half ("pre-The Game" versus "The Game and later"), and somewhat disregard their eclecticism. They have done plenty of metal, to be sure ... and they arranged some of their non-metal material into metal songs when played live.Cheap Trick used to do the same thing ... they cut softish versions of their songs in the studio, but performed them hard on tour.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes

It's not the definition, but the bands. Incubus and Sugar Ray were both metal when they started out, and now neither is. Bands change over time, usually in response to commercial success. They lose the metal tendencies in order to gain mainstream acceptance.

Of those, Queen is the only one that might be considered metal, IMO.  I can go either way on them.
You'd have to split their career in half ("pre-The Game" versus "The Game and later"), and somewhat disregard their eclecticism. They have done plenty of metal, to be sure ... and they arranged some of their non-metal material into metal songs when played live.Cheap Trick used to do the same thing ... they cut softish versions of their songs in the studio, but performed them hard on tour.
:goodposting: You're dead on on all of this. Queen is REALLY on the line. Cheap Trick is too.

Motorhead.
See, they're more like AC/DC than they are like Metallica. They play fast, loud rock 'n' roll. And no one is more metal than Motorhead. That's why AC/DC can be metal and Zeppelin is not.Motorhead is a big, big YES.

Incubus and Sugar Ray were both metal when they started out, and now neither is. Bands change over time, usually in response to commercial success. They lose the metal tendencies in order to gain mainstream acceptance.
Both of those bands were really very cool at their inception. Then they got all pop-happy.

There were too many bands on that list to do a detailed synopsis
Ah sorry 'bout that - would have liked to see a synopsis on each, but otherwise - entertaining stuff here. :thumbup:

Cheap Trick is too.
It's kind of a shame with CT, because the extreme dichotomy between their studio recordings and their concert performances probably cost Rick Neilsen a deserved place among the pantheon of esteemed rock/metal guitarists.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes

I'll clarify. VH was fringe metal from VH1 through Diver Down. 1984 began a transformation into being a decidely non-metal band. There were too many bands on that list to do a detailed synopsis like I did here (and with Soundgarden), so I went "no" because the current incarnation is not. However, their first albums were, you're 100% correct.
Whew!!!I was getting concerned. I consider myself a limited metalhead, but early VH would have been on my metal list if I had to make one.

I do think Panama would be considered metal, although the rest of 1984 probably isn't.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes

Whew!!!I was getting concerned. I consider myself a limited metalhead, but early VH would have been on my metal list if I had to make one.

I do think Panama would be considered metal, although the rest of 1984 probably isn't.
Hot For Teacher and Drop Dead Legs are metal too. I'll Wait and Jump are not. That album is the crossover.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes

Hot For Teacher and Drop Dead Legs are metal too. I'll Wait and Jump are not. That album is the crossover.
Just interested.What about Poundcake from For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge?

It's always been the one song from Van Hagar that I liked.

A quick skim, I saw that Bon Jovi was identified as a metal band, and I'll be leaving this thread now. Good day.

Rob Zombie - I will say White Zombie was metal, what about his solo stuff? It's more techno.
Started out yes, but is becoming more no by the day. i heard "Foxy Foxy" the other day and almost threw up.

Van Halen

Living Colour

Queensryche

Rush

Alice Cooper

Bon Jovi
NoYes

Yes

No

Yes

Just interested.What about Poundcake from For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge?

It's always been the one song from Van Hagar that I liked.
That is a hard-hitting tune and could likely be considered metal, but that is not a metal album.

A quick skim, I saw that Bon Jovi was identified as a metal band, and I'll be leaving this thread now. Good day.
We'll miss you. Were you even alive yet when Bon Jovi first started making music?

Users who are viewing this thread