What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** FFA MLB Draft (2 Viewers)

pumpnick-Spock-Higgins-Capella-Nipsey-Sammy3469-Pickles-Harrier-doug b-Griffith Stadiumbogart-Ballpark at ArlingtonKoya-Ebbetsfunkley-:shrug:Kraft-FenwayUCONN-Shibe Park/Connie MackSpartans-Palace of the FansLarryboy-Milwaukee CtyHarrier, Pickles, Sammy, and Funkley if he ever returns..

Last edited by a moderator:
pumpnick-Spock-Higgins-Capella-Nipsey-Sammy3469-Pickles-Harrier-doug b-Griffith Stadiumbogart-Ballpark at ArlingtonKoya-Ebbetsfunkley-:shrug:Kraft-FenwayUCONN-Shibe Park/Connie MackSpartans-Palace of the FansLarryboy-Milwaukee CtyHarrier, Pickles, Sammy, and Funkley if he ever returns..
LB (County Stadium)- Goes -1,-1,0,-1,-2 at whatif. Obviously very pitcher friendly. I for one also respect the homefield pick to a point. It's just a ballpark and if that's where LB wants to play, cool. Sticking w/ the don't name undrafted players rule, but I think the turn pick isn't a bad spot to be if you want to build a pitching/defensive oriented team.Spartans (Palace of the Fans)- -3,-3,1,1,4. One of the more difficult parks to hit a hr, but at the same time a great line drive hitters park. Spartans will want a fast outfield and a group of players that put the ball in play imo. Manufacturing runs will be at a premium as opposed to playing for the big inning.UCONN (Shibe Park)- 0,0,0,1,2. Didn't want to hem myself in. A hr is a hr at this park. If you can hit them you'll be able to hit them here...if you can't the park isn't going to help you any. The one large annomaly at this park is the deep fence to dead center (468 feet). Deep power alleys as well (385 and 393) while being reasonable down the lines (334 and 329). I'm proboably going to want a CF that can cover some ground and will also atleast slightly lean towards high average guys over pure power.IWKS (Fenway)- -2,0,0,+1,-1. Great park. I don't think it'll effect team selection much. It takes away as many (or more according to the stats) in lf as it adds. Will proboably help a righties average w/ the cheap doubles off the wall.Koya (Ebbets)- 0,1,0,0,-1. Another great park. I imagine Koya will try to fit an extra left handed bat or two in his line-up. I'd also load up on lefty pitchers to counteract other lefty bats.Bogart (Ballpark at Arlington)- 2,2,0,1,3. The first truly great hitters park chosen. Plenty of runs going to be scored here. For the sim portion of this league Bogart might want to make sure he's got a decent pitching staff to get him through the season.DougB (Griffith Stadium)- -1,1,0,1,1. 388 down the lf line...only 320 to right. I'd try to get my power from the left side and focus on line-drive hitters from the right.

Should I start the actual draft from the other side of the order? Maybe that will get this going a bit
:yes: was just about to propose this.we can finish the stadium selection as people come in.

Boy.. you guys are really hauling ### in here. At this rate Mark Prior should be eligible for drafting by the 7th round. :thumbup:

,Jan 11 2005, 02:04 PM] Boy.. you guys are really hauling ### in here. At this rate Mark Prior should be eligible for drafting by the 7th round. :thumbup:
please read the rules, TIA

Interesting pick. 2 time MVP. 3 time pitching triple crown. Suprised me, but he's very deserving IMO. Will play better in the sim than the FFA imo.

pumpnick-Walter JohnsonSpock-Higgins-Capella-Nipsey-Sammy3469-Pickles-Harrier-doug b-bogart-Koya-funkley-Kraft-UCONN-Spartans-Larryboy-Bit surprised by the Train going at 1.1, but he was a top-5 pick for sure.Spock is up!

1.01 selection- Walter Johnson P
Johnson is simply a stud. Ranked number two on my list, but very easy could have been number one in the right situation. Very nice anchor for a team.

Sandy Koufax.Do I need to pick a stadium?And who rolled the dice for me?
Cappy had me roll for everybody who hadn't yet on Monday. Stadium selection is in inverse order (but we started the 1st rd. of players while that's going...you proboably won't be picking a park for awhile).edited to add the roster thread is going to be nice for keeping track of this. Encourage everybody to get in there and keep things up to date. These things can turn into a C.F. fast.

This started a lot differntly than I thought it would. The best rhp and lhp of all time might be off the board already.

This started a lot differntly than I thought it would. The best rhp and lhp of all time might be off the board already.
yeah, I'm a little surprised too.not in a bad way, just in general.

I was wondering how others might value pitching vs. hitting. Now we have some partial data to go on.

Higgins said he was out of town until wednesday in the sign up thread (he actually said he wanted a replacement I think, but not sure). He was a good drafter in the basketball draft imo, but just wanted to let everybody know what he said.

Higgins said he was out of town until wednesday in the sign up thread (he actually said he wanted a replacement I think, but not sure). He was a good drafter in the basketball draft imo, but just wanted to let everybody know what he said.
I don't think he wanted out, pretty sure he sent me a PM saying he wanted in.

I don't think he wanted out, pretty sure he sent me a PM saying he wanted in.
cool. i hope he is too. if he hasn't sent in a list I'm pretty sure he's out 'till wednesday though. hopefully we get to him for park by then too.

Just wondering who you would have projected as the #1 pick? I'd think *%?$%^

If you need a replacement owner to compensate for the slow deuches, I'll step in. I got my Bill James Historical Abstract handy and by the power of Win Shares, I'd own this thing.

If you need a replacement owner to compensate for the slow deuches, I'll step in. I got my Bill James Historical Abstract handy and by the power of Win Shares, I'd own this thing.
hmmm..

This sucks, I'm stuck in the middle here. I'll join the chorus that is sort of surprised by the first 2 picks. It'll be interesting to see what parks they take.

,Jan 11 2005, 02:04 PM] Boy.. you guys are really hauling ### in here. At this rate Mark Prior should be eligible for drafting by the 7th round. :thumbup:
My joke was based on the 5 year rule.... missed the 1994 clause. Pretty sweet setup with the WIS.com simulation.... looking forward to seeing the outcome here.

,Jan 11 2005, 03:40 PM]

,Jan 11 2005, 02:04 PM] Boy.. you guys are really hauling ### in here. At this rate Mark Prior should be eligible for drafting by the 7th round.  :thumbup:
My joke was based on the 5 year rule.... missed the 1994 clause. Pretty sweet setup with the WIS.com simulation.... looking forward to seeing the outcome here.
:thumbup: dammit..I'm ONE PICK AWAY.we have to give Higgins his 12 hours though. LastResort..STAND BY

Interesting pick. 2 time MVP. 3 time pitching triple crown. Suprised me, but he's very deserving IMO. Will play better in the sim than the FFA imo.
How arguably (and for some its not even an arguement) the best pitcher EVER is a surprise, I dont know. I love the pick. Screw the FFA if they wont recognize the Babe Ruth of pitching!

One quick question, is the FFA voting based on the entire career or a 7 game series based on the players career?

One quick question, is the FFA voting based on the entire career or a 7 game series based on the players career?
I think we are basing this off a player "at his peak" - so for FFA purposes, maybe the average of their best 7 years or something. For the whatifsports sim, we will use the players third best statistical year (as detemrined by their salary on whatifsports)

Agree, I thought picthing would slide. hmmmmm

This started a lot differntly than I thought it would.  The best rhp and lhp of all time might be off the board already.
IMO, Koufax does not = the best LHP ever. I can name two that were better.

:goodposting:Koufax is good, but I would not have taken him in the first round, much less the second pick.

This started a lot differntly than I thought it would.  The best rhp and lhp of all time might be off the board already.
Koufax, dominant as he was, went considerably higher than I thought he would. It will be up the the write ups to determine whether at his peak he will be on par with some pitchers considered "better overall" - but it will be hard to argue with an at his peak Koufax. I mean, if someone else was unhittable and Koufax was also, who is to argue if someone wants to toss out Koufax.

Koufax, dominant as he was, went considerably higher than I thought he would. It will be up the the write ups to determine whether at his peak he will be on par with some pitchers considered "better overall" - but it will be hard to argue with an at his peak Koufax. I mean, if someone else was unhittable and Koufax was also, who is to argue if someone wants to toss out Koufax.
Don't get me wrong, Koufax is without a doubt a Top 10 pitcher, and definitely Top 5 LHP (maybe Top 3), but because of his shorter career, he shouldn't be mentioned as the best. If you want to base the best players based on potential, Rick Ankiel should have won 3 Cy Youngs already. (ok, that may be a bit of an exxageration, but you get the point)

Don't get me wrong, Koufax is without a doubt a Top 10 pitcher, and definitely Top 5 LHP (maybe Top 3), but because of his shorter career, he shouldn't be mentioned as the best. If you want to base the best players based on potential, Rick Ankiel should have won 3 Cy Youngs already. (ok, that may be a bit of an exxageration, but you get the point)
Koufax does NOT equal potential though. If you take his best 5 year span, you can put him against anyone, arguably. That is more the nature of this draft. Not necessarily the best careers ever, but the best players - demonstrated by at least a number of consistent seasons (i.e. Koufax had 5 unreal seasons, which is a decent span... Brady Anderson had one fluke year, which is not a decent span).If you look at "careers" he is not top 10 even, in my book. But in his prime, he definately is.

I couldn't care less what the write ups say. I am drafting to win the whatifsports.com simulation. It won't care whether Koufax had a 10 or 20 year career.

I couldn't care less what the write ups say. I am drafting to win the whatifsports.com simulation. It won't care whether Koufax had a 10 or 20 year career.
oh Christ.THAT NOT WHY WERE HERE

How arguably (and for some its not even an arguement) the best pitcher EVER is a surprise, I dont know. I love the pick. Screw the FFA if they wont recognize the Babe Ruth of pitching!
It's a suprise because I thought somebody else would be picked. I didn't say he wasn't deserving. English is your friend. ;)

different strokes for different folks. some may want to focus on one aspect, others on the other. ain nothing wrong so long as you pick by the rules. the rules are for the FFA that we are taking players (am I correct) in the prime 7 years of their careers, give or take - and to approxiamate that in whatifsports, we chose their 3rd best season.In that light, I dont necessarily agree with Koufax at 2 overall, but see nothing wrong with the pick.

Koufax won 5 straight ERA crowns. He's deserving. Higher than I'd have taken him, but I knew he'd go in the first couple rounds.

Interesting pick.  2 time MVP.  3 time pitching triple crown.  Suprised me, but he's very deserving IMO.  Will play better in the sim than the FFA imo.
It's a suprise because I thought somebody else would be picked. I didn't say he wasn't deserving. English is your friend. ;)
english no mine friend!!!!

Politician Spock has ZERO chance in popularity circle jerks of the FFA. The whatifsports sim is all I got.

Users who are viewing this thread