What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (1 Viewer)

TidesofWar said:
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.

Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

PM me and I will give you a phone number to reach me
Tides, this is an internet draft. Are you ####### kidding me?
No, I am notWhy should this clown think he can be insulting and overbearing with no repercussions?

TidesofWar said:
Doug B said:
Seriously ... on what planet do The Police suck? :( That's gotta be a personal-taste call, not an objective reality. Sometimes the masses get it right.
Not according to Kukla, Fran, and Ollie Know-All - Know-NothingInteresting how he has to relate everything to his pedestrian attempts as a musician, and to the garbage known as "Jesus Lizard"

It is obvious his failed musical attempts have soured him on many outstanding offerings because they also bear the burden of popularity.

Have you just realized this whole Category has been about "Personal Taste", sprinkled with "The Humantic"s stories of what greasy, screaming, smelly, under-appreciated punk genius he drank rotgut vodka with?
My attempts at musicianship may have been pedestrian, but at least I was willing to participate in rock n' roll, rather than to passively sit there, consume, then glibly judge what I have consumed.And if I relate my judgement to my role as particpant it is only because, well, I wouldn't know how to do it otherwise. You learn a few things about music when you spend a decade or so of your life attempting to create it, execute it, and disseminate the creations of others. Way it goes, I guess. I just fail to see how a life spent rocking would somehow make me less qualified to have an opinion.

And, no, Gizmo, my musical career wasn't a failure, as I achieved exactly what I wanted to achieve--I made some good music (despite myself), I made some incredible friends, I saw the country and the world. I drank gallons of free booze, heard hundreds of dirty jokes, and saw some of the most incredible performances in rock's recent history. I am not sour or bitter at all. I am quite content in both my taste and my, ahem, "career".

What you want out of this draft is to have the judges confirm to you that your opinions--and, by extention yourself--are good and true and correct. In short, you want us to stand in for your parents and tell you that you are a Good Boy. When this doesn't happen you pout and whine and throw little fits and ad hominems around like a two-year-old throwing a temper tantrum.

If it makes you feel better, little Gizmo, and shuts you up for a little while, I'll do it.

You are Good Boy, Tides of War. A very, very good boy.
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

Wow. OH is so up in your kitchen right nowThat is one of the two places women should be :thumbup:

MisfitBlondes said:
TidesofWar said:
timschochet said:
TidesofWar said:
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.

Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

No, I am notWhy should this clown think he can be insulting and overbearing with no repercussions?
Would you make that same wager with me?
Absolutely

TidesofWar said:
timschochet said:
TidesofWar said:

ToW want to join a book club? http://www.ebooknetworking.com/books/047/0...g0470121742.jpg

You want to mess with me and my crew? i swear to god ill give you my address and you can come over and see what happens...my homies and i will take care of it.Harrison Stevens100 Mary #11San Antonio, TX, 78230

Genedoc said:
There were hugely important discoveries that predated and laid the foundation for both of those. :shrug:
Neither one of these (age and "foundation") should qualify a picl as a higher ranking.It should be based on how big of a step forward the discovery was, no matter what came before it.I have not complained about any of the rankingsup to now, but Relativity not being in the top tier is wrong. :2cents:

I haven't seen a full blown internet toughguy post in awhile. It's reminds of my old FFT days. :lmao: :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
TidesofWar said:
timschochet said:
TidesofWar said:

Haha "wager". Haha "my presence". Haha "condescinding". Haha internets and tough guys.Haha "charity golf."

Duke, there is almost nothing you have typed that doesn't crack me up.

Complete Final Song Rankings

20 Pts

Amazing Grace

The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Silent Night

19 Pts

A Change is Gonna Come

Like a Rolling Stone

St. Louis Blues

18 Pts

Over the Rainbow

Summertime

White Christmas

17 Pts

Johnny B. Goode

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Take the "A" Train

16 Pts

Imagine

Respect

Strange Fruit

15 Pts

Greensleeves

Hey Jude

Smells Like Teen Spirit

14 Pts

Blowin' in the Wind

Stairway to Heaven

Yesterday

13 Pts

Bohemian Rhapsody

(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay

What's Goin' On

12 Pts

God Bless America

God Bless the Child

God Only Knows

11 Pts

Cross Road Blues

Swing Low, Swing Chariot

This Land is Your Land

10 Pts

Folsom Prison Blues

Take Five

What a Wonderful World

9 Pts

The House of the Rising Sun

Layla

My Generation

8 Pts

American Pie

Superstition

Sympathy For The Devil

7 Pts

Baba O'Reilly

Kashmir

Unchained Melody

6 Pts

Lili Marlene

Moanin'

Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing)

5 Pts

The Alphabet Song

Minnie the Moocher

No Woman, No Cry

4 Pts

Hallelujah

Oh Pretty Woman

Wish You Were Here

3 Pts

Ohio

Smoke on the Water

Welcome to the Jungle

2 Pts

Atmosphere

Purple Rain

Red House

Thanks for putting up with my self-indulgent stream-of-conscious babble.

It was fun.

who gets more points for itoughguy works....harrison stevens vs tides of war?

EDIT: also, if they played 1-on-1, who gets dunked on....repeatedly?

Genedoc said:
There were hugely important discoveries that predated and laid the foundation for both of those. :shrug:
Neither one of these (age and "foundation") should qualify a picl as a higher ranking.It should be based on how big of a step forward the discovery was, no matter what came before it.I have not complained about any of the rankingsup to now, but Relativity not being in the top tier is wrong. :2cents:
As I've mentioned before, age has nothing to do with any of the rankings. However, foundation absolutely does and should, moreso in science than most fields. Who gets credit for work is determined by who did it first, and the discovery is judged based on how big of a leap forward it represents. I am by no means trying to diminish the Relativity. However, there was an extensive amount of science performed prior to relativity and many of those earlier findings changed things at least as much as, if not more than, Relativity. We take many of those things for granted because they're well understood and appreciated now. For example:Galileo's discovery of uniform rate overturned 2,000 years of Aristotelian theory and rather completely changed the world. I didn't rank it because it's my own pick, but it's was easily as revolutionary and world changing as Relativity. Universal Gravitation, the Laws of Motion, the Laws of Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism....all world changing discoveries. That said, I'm more than open to discussion. My initial tiering was done roughly with the top 1-2 discoveries in each field being lumped together so as not to bias myself in favor of the things I like the most/understand the best. I was trying to limit my own biases and likely introduced other artifacts in the process. It may very well be that the third or fourth biggest discovery in physics belongs well ahead of the biggest discovery ever in geology. Maybe the top tier should be 1/2 physics. If so, that's where the hard work begins, hence posting the preliminary rankings and seeing what people think of them and encouraging feedback.

meanjoegreen said:
TidesofWar said:
meanjoegreen said:
Oliver Humanzee said:
10 pts.

Tapestry - Carole King Charming, well-crafted mom-rock with some truly timeless (if Brill Building sanitized) songs. Moms listen to Alanis Morrisette and Feist now, which is a shame.
Mom rock? You must be really young. Tapestry started the singer-songwriter movement, and I can tell you first hand that guys listened to Tapestry, and still do to this day. If I went to a desert island, that is one of the albums I would take with me.
When can you leave?
How about during your next meltdown. Oh wait, I can't leave today.
Prescient.

Oliver Humanzee said:
timschochet said:
Oliver, you mentioned a few old bluesmen. I would have considered Robert Johnson, but any "album" would have been ineligible, I believe. They're all compilations.

Mississippi John Hurt (whom I love) is a different story, as he, Son House, and Skip James recorded sessions which were released as albums in the 1960's. But with the possible exception of Skip James, none of these by themselves are IMO quite good enough to be on an alltime album list. Of course, the compilation material for everyone of these artists is magnificent.
Sorry. I didn't realize that compilations, no matter how artfully compiled, were off-limits. No wonder nobody took The Anthology of American Folk Music. It is the essential American album.
The Anthology of American Folk Music is the record that I asked Hummus for a ruling on. He said it was a no-go. :(

I admittedly havent paid attention to the last 25 pages or so of this, but I'll be #######ed if I'm going to miss out on class-A InternetToughGuy-ism.

:popcorn:

Right now the historical legend of Harrison Stevens, along with having the grapes to post his address rather than keeping the personal information to PMs still have him in the lead. But I have faith our new bigdog asskicker TidesofWar can step up. I like his moxy. :thumbup:

I don't know. I get the feeling Tides hasn't fully embraced his role yet, which is a definite setback when you're dealing with pros like Harrison Stevens.

I admittedly havent paid attention to the last 25 pages or so of this, but I'll be #######ed if I'm going to miss out on class-A InternetToughGuy-ism. :popcorn:Right now the historical legend of Harrison Stevens, along with having the grapes to post his address rather than keeping the personal information to PMs still have him in the lead. But I have faith our new bigdog asskicker TidesofWar can step up. I like his moxy. :thumbup:
I'm sure I'm not the first to mention this, but your shinitized avatar makes me :scared: .

Thank you Jamy.

If anyone messaged Steve Tasker in the last 6 days or so, he didn't get the message....

What do I have to do? Just organize the inventions and rank them? Assign point values? Someone give me a little guidance here....it'll take me a little bit of time to rank them, but I'll do it.

I just didn't know that the draft was over.

6 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

5 Members: ScottNorwood, AhrnCityPahnder, Mister CIA, TidesofWar, da_budman

Say something to entertain me. Dance, monkey!

Thank you Jamy.If anyone messaged Steve Tasker in the last 6 days or so, he didn't get the message....What do I have to do? Just organize the inventions and rank them? Assign point values? Someone give me a little guidance here....it'll take me a little bit of time to rank them, but I'll do it.I just didn't know that the draft was over.
Take these 20 inventions and give 5 of them 1 point, 5 of thm 2 points, etc all the way to 20 points. Its nice to say a little about each pick.AbacusAlternating Current Induction MotorAnesthesiaArabic Numerals/Decimal systemArtificial HeartArtificial SatelliteAssembly LineAssociation Football (Soccer)Atomic BombBarbed Wire FencingBarcodeBaseballBeerBessemer ProcessBlood BankCameraCatalytic CrackingCoca-ColaComedyCompact DiscCompassComputerConcreteCondomCotton GinCuneiform WritingDigital Video Recorder (DVR/TiVo)Electrical GridElevatorEmergency RoomEyeglassesFlouridated WaterFootballFrozen FoodGregorian CalendarGuitarGunpowderHelicopterHydraulicsHypodermic SyringeIndoor PlumbingIntegrated CircuitInternal Combustion EngineLaserMagnetic Tape Audio RecordingMan-made PlasticMechanical ClockMicroprocessorMicroscopeMobile (Cell) PhoneMorse CodeMotion PicturesNewspaperNuclear Marine PropulsionNuclear ReactorOral ContraceptivesPaperPencilPianoPizzaPloughRadarRadioReverse Transcriptase InhibitorsRifleSliced BreadSmeltingSoapSound RecordingSteam-Powered LocomotiveSteelSubmarineTelegraphTelephoneTelescopeTelevisionThe AstrolabThe BikiniThe Electrical Generator/DynamoThe Engined AirplaneThe Gasoline-Powered AutomobileThe Incandescent Light BulbThe Latin/Roman AlphabetThe Machine GunThe Metric SystemThe Olympic GamesThe Printing PressThe Refrigerator/FreezerThe Steam EngineThe StirrupThe TransistorThe Vacuum TubeTopical Antiseptic/Antiseptic Surgical TechniquesVacuum Flask (Thermos)VelcroVideo GamesVoltaic Pile (Electric Battery)World Wide WebX-RaysZoo

I have no real issue with Genedoc's rankings.

I think the process of judging is inately flawed for these reasons............................

You have one judge that infuses a lot of personal preference into his rankings

You have Genedoc whose ranking slook more like they came out of a textbook, or compilation of "expert" picks.

Unfortunately, I selected more by the book with Judge One

I tried to think out of the box in the Doc's category, and thought I had hit a HR with Organ transplantation. I liked the pick better than stuffy "Third Law of Thermotetronics" type stuff.

IMO, organ transplantation is one of the most amazing and "Great" things ever developed - the ability to remove an organ from a living or dead person, then place that into another person, which allows life to extend....................

Incredible, to me. It also USES many of the higher ranked discoveries to do this - anatomy, chemistry, etc.

I do think the discovery of wine is important in that it is a part of many peoples lives, even on a daily basis, and even has health benefits. Compared to something like Kepler's Planetary Motion discovery - well, wine has much more significance to our lives on a daily basis, imo.

I did not really expect it to score well, but had hopes that some credit would be issued for thinking outside a google list.

I also firmly believe Genedoc may be as qualified a judge for this as you could find on this site, and a heck of a good guy.

I am planning to be done with my "Ollie and the Humanzees" rants.

Ollie - I will even offer an olive branch in the form of a beer and maybe even a bottle of wine, if you are willing. No hard feelings either way.

I can't decide which is more deliciously appropriate:

1. that the word "buddha" is missing from page 1 of this thread

2. that the word "buddha" is contained within this thread but the search engine does not reveal where

As a consolation prize, I note that the Tao Te Ching is listed, which is nice.

I have no real issue with Genedoc's rankings.

I think the process of judging is inately flawed for these reasons............................

You have one judge that infuses a lot of personal preference into his rankings

You have Genedoc whose ranking slook more like they came out of a textbook, or compilation of "expert" picks.

Unfortunately, I selected more by the book with Judge One

I tried to think out of the box in the Doc's category, and thought I had hit a HR with Organ transplantation. I liked the pick better than stuffy "Third Law of Thermotetronics" type stuff.

IMO, organ transplantation is one of the most amazing and "Great" things ever developed - the ability to remove an organ from a living or dead person, then place that into another person, which allows life to extend....................

Incredible, to me. It also USES many of the higher ranked discoveries to do this - anatomy, chemistry, etc.

I do think the discovery of wine is important in that it is a part of many peoples lives, even on a daily basis, and even has health benefits. Compared to something like Kepler's Planetary Motion discovery - well, wine has much more significance to our lives on a daily basis, imo.

I did not really expect it to score well, but had hopes that some credit would be issued for thinking outside a google list.

I also firmly believe Genedoc may be as qualified a judge for this as you could find on this site, and a heck of a good guy.

I am planning to be done with my "Ollie and the Humanzees" rants.

Ollie - I will even offer an olive branch in the form of a beer and maybe even a bottle of wine, if you are willing. No hard feelings either way.
I just wanted to point out that the "Third Law of Thermotetronics" wasn't lost. That's quality. :lmao: As for the judging, it is innately.....unique? It's like judging "MVP". What is the MVP? The best player? The best player on a good team? The most irreplaceable player? Same thing here. What's the greatest scientific discovery in the history of the world? No way to quantify that, which is presumably why we had a draft to begin with. If it was quantifiable, you'd just plug it into a formula and get the results, which would have been much less interesting.

For something as grandiose as all of scientific discovery, there's no way I'm going to be so cocky as to allow my personal feelings to factor in because I know a little bit about one small area of science. I know nothing of mathematics beyond daily use equations, most of the physics stuff is pretty well beyond me...so I've got to rely on what the experts in those fields say, which is why I used the Science Channel top 100 as a starting point. Their discussion of genetics was very consistent with how I'd have ranked them. Mendel created genetics by defining the laws of inheritance and in the process revolutionized several fields of study and created a new one. TH Morgan explained the biochemical mechanism by which Mendel's laws worked, also revolutionizing several fields of study and creating new ones, though less profoundly than Mendel. The Beadle/Tatum discovery that genes control biochemical processes by making proteins again revolutionized several fields of study. I would have put DNA as the genetic material ahead of McClintock's jumping genes, but they're adjacent to one another on the list. I'd also have put cracking the genetic code ahead of the discovery of the double helix, but again, they're adjacent to each other. The other discoveries on the list also make good sense being where they are. Given the relative accuracy of the list of genetic discoveries, I decided to use the list as a starting point in other disciplines I'm not nearly as familiar with.

The hard part is comparing disciplines - how does the greatest find in the history of geology compare with whatever you think the 5th biggest discovery in physics is? How does #6 in Medicine (Germ Theory) compare with #1 in Chemistry (Discovery of Oxygen)? That's what I struggling with.

Genedoc said:
As I've mentioned before, age has nothing to do with any of the rankings. However, foundation absolutely does and should, moreso in science than most fields. Who gets credit for work is determined by who did it first, and the discovery is judged based on how big of a leap forward it represents. I am by no means trying to diminish the Relativity. However, there was an extensive amount of science performed prior to relativity and many of those earlier findings changed things at least as much as, if not more than, Relativity. We take many of those things for granted because they're well understood and appreciated now. For example:Galileo's discovery of uniform rate overturned 2,000 years of Aristotelian theory and rather completely changed the world. I didn't rank it because it's my own pick, but it's was easily as revolutionary and world changing as Relativity. Universal Gravitation, the Laws of Motion, the Laws of Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism....all world changing discoveries. That said, I'm more than open to discussion. My initial tiering was done roughly with the top 1-2 discoveries in each field being lumped together so as not to bias myself in favor of the things I like the most/understand the best. I was trying to limit my own biases and likely introduced other artifacts in the process. It may very well be that the third or fourth biggest discovery in physics belongs well ahead of the biggest discovery ever in geology. Maybe the top tier should be 1/2 physics. If so, that's where the hard work begins, hence posting the preliminary rankings and seeing what people think of them and encouraging feedback.
Without a doubt, relativity was built about much work and many other discoveries. Relatively speaking though (har har), it was a gargantuan leap forward, and drastically altered our view of the universe as only a couple of other theories or discoveries have. Combine that with the fact that that view is so bizarre (to the human mind) that most people cannot and never will be able to comprehend it, and it has to be consired one of the greatest human achievements in all of history, in any field.

Oliver Humanzee said:
timschochet said:
Oliver, you mentioned a few old bluesmen. I would have considered Robert Johnson, but any "album" would have been ineligible, I believe. They're all compilations.

Mississippi John Hurt (whom I love) is a different story, as he, Son House, and Skip James recorded sessions which were released as albums in the 1960's. But with the possible exception of Skip James, none of these by themselves are IMO quite good enough to be on an alltime album list. Of course, the compilation material for everyone of these artists is magnificent.
Sorry. I didn't realize that compilations, no matter how artfully compiled, were off-limits. No wonder nobody took The Anthology of American Folk Music. It is the essential American album.
The Anthology of American Folk Music is the record that I asked Hummus for a ruling on. He said it was a no-go. :(
I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

In the interest of not biasing my results, I won't be looking at the draft positions or who picked what invention. In general, I will be basing my rank on a few things....

1. The impact it had on the world at the time and today. If it completely revolutionized the way we live, and spawned updates/upgrades that still affect our lives immensely, major points.

2. How innovative it was at the time. There are some inventions that, I think, would've been invented either way. If Person X didn't invent it in 1620, Person Y would've invented it in 1622. But if it's an invention where you say "whoa, that was way ahead of its time", bonus points.

3. General usefulness. Just because it's common in everyday life doesn't necessarily mean it's really useful. For it to be a great invention, people have to derive some sort of use from it.

It's tough to nail down these things, and I'm obviously unable to assign point values to each of the 3 criteria. A lot of it will be based on gut feelings and some slight research if it's something I'm not entirely familiar with. I hope no one takes offense based on my rankings because, again, I'm not looking at who picked what and where it was picked. Trying to be purely objective.

Genedoc said:
Without a doubt, relativity was built about much work and many other discoveries. Relatively speaking though (har har), it was a gargantuan leap forward, and drastically altered our view of the universe as only a couple of other theories or discoveries have. Combine that with the fact that that view is so bizarre (to the human mind) that most people cannot and never will be able to comprehend it, and it has to be consired one of the greatest human achievements in all of history, in any field.
The more I'm reading, the more I'm agreeing with you. Also, the more I'm reading, the more at peace I'm becoming with the fact that the top couple of tiers are going to have a good deal of physics in them. I just can't keep any of the big 5 or 6 physics discoveries out of those top tiers, so something is going to have to go down. I'm currently leaning towards dropping KT Dinosaur Extinction and Dino Fossil Find #1.

3. General usefulness. Just because it's common in everyday life doesn't necessarily mean it's really useful. For it to be a great invention, people have to derive some sort of use from it.
I think when there's more than one use of an invention, this should also be rewarded. For instance, consider the benefits of condoms:1. Helps prevent unwanted pregnancy.

2. Helps prevent diseases.

3. Helps "mules" carry drugs like heroin into the country in their bellies.

And that's just off the top of my head!

Genedoc said:
The more I'm reading, the more I'm agreeing with you. Also, the more I'm reading, the more at peace I'm becoming with the fact that the top couple of tiers are going to have a good deal of physics in them. I just can't keep any of the big 5 or 6 physics discoveries out of those top tiers, so something is going to have to go down. I'm currently leaning towards dropping KT Dinosaur Extinction and Dino Fossil Find #1.
I don't admire the task in front of you, having just completed a similar exercise in futiliy.Looking forward to your rankings. :popcorn:

I don't admire the task in front of you, having just completed a similar exercise in futiliy.Looking forward to your rankings. :popcorn:
Nah...it's fun. Many of the categories I couldn't have judged simply because I don't have the background and the reading would have been too much. But reading about science for fun? That's right up my alley. :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread