What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (5 Viewers)

You'd be great at this.  Without having judging, I think it would be a better discussion just of what people love and why, which is how wikkid would have liked it the first time.  You have a breadth of knowledge that is as wide as almost anyone's.  But I won't twist your arm.
missed the non-judging proclamation 

I QUIT!!

kidding of course; it’s just I’ve wanted to post that for about 8 days

Man this was fun. Leaving on vacation next week and wouldn’t be back until later in the month. FBGs is blocked at work nowadays, which makes my time here lesser.

I could probably make the draft work on my phone while at work.

I'd have to see the categories. Are they the same as 2009? IIRC, you and I are the same age but maybe our strengths are in different areas.
Open to changes on the categories.  This was a spontaneous idea so I haven’t fleshed it out. As I’ve been re-reading the thread I’ve seen a lot of confusion over the composition category, for one.

missed the non-judging proclamation 

I QUIT!!

kidding of course; it’s just I’ve wanted to post that for about 8 days

We can do judging if that’s the consensus.

Man this was fun. Leaving on vacation next week and wouldn’t be back until later in the month. FBGs is blocked at work nowadays, which makes my time here lesser.

I could probably make the draft work on my phone while at work.

I’m out of the country July 21-31, so would plan to start August 1.

Open to changes on the categories.  This was a spontaneous idea so I haven’t fleshed it out. As I’ve been re-reading the thread I’ve seen a lot of confusion over the composition category, for one.
Can we just do stuff I think I'm good at? :lol:

I actually asked Bobby Lane what "composition" was. He said he thought it was classical music, but I'm not sure how you define that.

Can we just do stuff I think I'm good at? :lol:

I actually asked Bobby Lane what "composition" was. He said he thought it was classical music, but I'm not sure how you define that.

I think it was meant to be classical, but then wikkid was judging both this and "song" and had very specific ideas of what would be good in each category.  There was a long discussion of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" being better, he said, in song rather than composition.  Also a lot of chatter when Yankee23Fan took The Empire Strikes Back!  :lol:  

I think it was meant to be classical, but then wikkid was judging both this and "song" and had very specific ideas of what would be good in each category.  There was a long discussion of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" being better, he said, in song rather than composition.  Also a lot of chatter when Yankee23Fan took The Empire Strikes Back!  :lol:  

Here's his explanation when someone (me!) didn't understand the difference:  "a song is basically a single-themed musical piece, a composition integrates multiple themes or variations upon a single theme. it's not just lyrics, cuz there are plenty of compositions with singing. i broke them up mostly to separate classical from jazz/pop, but will try to indulge crossovers where i can. i offered timschochet the knowledge that Eine Kleine Nachtmuzik would fare better in my rankings as a song & would have told anyone picking Take Five as a composition the same thing. Time Out, the album on which Take Five was released, would probably have been played as a single piece if it had preceded recording, because it is an integrated series of exercises in signature & modality and would be considered a composition if the necessities of selling records hadnt dictated their being broken up into "songs". hope that sheds light - will answer any questions by PM. will not aid attention hos by bartering terms in this forum, however - i am perfectly content to let these likes voluteer for last place with their selections in such circumstances. nufced"

I still did not and do not understand,.

On 7/10/2009 at 9:35 PM, 'Oliver Humanzee said:
  https://footballguys.community.foru...tent_id=467331&content_commentid=10535988 'TidesofWar said:
  https://footballguys.community.foru...tent_id=467331&content_commentid=10535829 'timschochet said:
'TidesofWar said:
  https://footballguys.community.foru...tent_id=467331&content_commentid=10535788 'TidesofWar said:
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.

Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

PM me and I will give you a phone number to reach me
Tides, this is an internet draft.

Are you ####### kidding me?
No, I am not

Why should this clown think he can be insulting and overbearing with no repercussions?
Haha "wager". Haha "my presence". Haha "condescinding". Haha internets and tough guys.

Haha "charity golf."

Duke, there is almost nothing you have typed that doesn't crack me up.
Here it is. Classic.

This can never be bumped enough.

wikkidpissah said:
soooo glad you picked this - didnt want to go this way with my 1st rder, but woulda had to if it had lasted. ive been to the site of all the Seven Ancient Wonders except Babylon & my guide at Giza told us that backinaday they were smooth as glass with limestone which has since fallen away & legend had it they were blinding to look at then. the Great Pyramids & a mass balloon ascension from the ground are the only things i've experienced (well, maybe Donna D'Agostino too) which i cannot capture with words.
Wikkidpedia ™

@Mister CIA, looks like you were 13 years early with your title.

I can't commit to a Great Works Draft solo, but would like to team with another, where my participation rate falls in the 33-40% range. Might even be interested in a threesome.

The fun begins when the judging begins. That's when the fur starts to fly. Alas, I can't commit to judging anything, but it would be great if we had it.

I can't commit to a Great Works Draft solo, but would like to team with another, where my participation rate falls in the 33-40% range. Might even be interested in a threesome.

The fun begins when the judging begins. That's when the fur starts to fly. Alas, I can't commit to judging anything, but it would be great if we had it.

I'll start a new thread next week and see if we can put together a crew.

Reading through some of the earlier thread, I see that wikkid wasn't opposed to judging, but didn't want it in the hands of one person per category.  Rather, he wanted drafters and peanut gallery to be able to PM someone with their votes.  This is what we did in the Captain Cranks charity drafts last year, and I think it would work.  Kinda the best of both worlds?

Works out well. I am staying in Chicago all week. Wife is working virtually from here but I literally have nothing to do. West Fest is a couple blocks away, I will probably see Protomartyr play tomorrow night. Drafting would definitely be something I could squeeze in lol. 

Works out well. I am staying in Chicago all week. Wife is working virtually from here but I literally have nothing to do. West Fest is a couple blocks away, I will probably see Protomartyr play tomorrow night. Drafting would definitely be something I could squeeze in lol. 
Sadly we aren’t getting started right away.  Stand by!

I'll start a new thread next week and see if we can put together a crew.

Reading through some of the earlier thread, I see that wikkid wasn't opposed to judging, but didn't want it in the hands of one person per category.  Rather, he wanted drafters and peanut gallery to be able to PM someone with their votes.  This is what we did in the Captain Cranks charity drafts last year, and I think it would work.  Kinda the best of both worlds?

I like this idea. Judging is a thankless job, but it's even worse when it's one judge, and they think teen movie is solely *for* teens when the rest of us think it's *about* teens. 

(although I do like it when a singular judge - who happened to be Wikkid - factors in menace.)  

I like this idea. Judging is a thankless job, but it's even worse when it's one judge, and they think teen movie is solely *for* teens when the rest of us think it's *about* teens. 

(although I do like it when a singular judge - who happened to be Wikkid - factors in menace.)  

Ha, I'd forgotten both of these!

ilov80s (and others), I could get the draft started earlier but am just concerned about my being gone and in a far different time zone for 10 days at the end of this month.  I'll start a new ***OFFICIAL*** thread later today where we can discuss timing, categories, rules, and get sign-ups.  It's possible with so many great people having left the board (voluntarily or not :(  ) that we can't get enough for a draft anyway.

I am competitive, determined, and doggedly so

I have been dunked on by some of the best ever, and was back down scoring on them in 4 or 5 seconds. You Pout, or you play.

I am driven, and love the fact that Basketball and Football are decided on the field, not like gymnastics or diving, which depends on the fairness and equity of judges.

When we lost, I lost, and I have a bitter taste, and more motivation to improve and win the next time.

I spent inumerable hours alone, shooting, dribbling, lifting, trying to get better. I hate to lose.

If striving for excellence, in any undertaking, and despising seeing some try to subvert the effort is "schtick" then I am guilty
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread