What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official IT movie 2017*** (1 Viewer)

Also, I have to say that the kids were all really good I thought. I'm hoping they can do at least as well casting the adults in chapter 2.

My daughter wanted to see it so I saw it a second time today. I think I liked it better the second time. I was able to leave all my fan boy stuff outside and just enjoy it for what it was. Anyone else notice all the turtle references? I wonder if that is hinting that we will get all of the deadlights and turtle business in chapter two? I hope we do.

I've watched a few clips since the film came out and the CGI looks atrocious
I am not a fan of CGI but it did not bother me much in this film. I thought for the most part it was used appropriately. There were a few spots it stuck out but really not much in my opinion. 

Also, I have to say that the kids were all really good I thought. I'm hoping they can do at least as well casting the adults in chapter 2.
I thought the kid who played Henry Bowers was real good. I wish we got more of him. The job he did after his dad scared him was phenomenal.

My daughter wanted to see it so I saw it a second time today. I think I liked it better the second time. I was able to leave all my fan boy stuff outside and just enjoy it for what it was. Anyone else notice all the turtle references? I wonder if that is hinting that we will get all of the deadlights and turtle business in chapter two? I hope we do.
I only noticed I think three. How many were there? 

If people didn't care and weren't critical, we would just have Transformers and Emoji movies to watch. ;)
I'm fine with people being critical, but I do think the "it's not as good as the book" is a ridiculous criticism for any movie. Its a completely different medium and impossible to capture thousands of words into a couple of hours. 

I'm fine with people being critical, but I do think the "it's not as good as the book" is a ridiculous criticism for any movie. Its a completely different medium and impossible to capture thousands of words into a couple of hours. 
For sure it's hard, but let's not pretend like it can't happen and there aren't great movies based on books. 

I am guessing that with King fans it's doubly frustrating because it seems so rare that they do his work justice. 

I didn't read the book.  I found the movie to be entertaining and fun. Then humor was awesome and the kids did great.  

For sure it's hard, but let's not pretend like it can't happen and there aren't great movies based on books. 

I am guessing that with King fans it's doubly frustrating because it seems so rare that they do his work justice. 
As a (former diehard) King fan, I get very excited on the rare occasions when his stories turn into half decent movies.

"It - Chapter One" is way beyond that threshold

As a (former diehard) King fan, I get very excited on the rare occasions when his stories turn into half decent movies.

"It - Chapter One" is way beyond that threshold
And most of the time it's his non-horror stuff that makes the good movies too. 

Saw it over the weekend and really enjoyed it.  Love King's books, and IT is an all-time favorite.  I knew going in that it wasn't going to be a complete adaptation, but was very satisfied for what they put together.  The kids did a great job all around, and the clown was just as menacing as I hoped he would be.  There were a few times IT caused my wife to jump as IT looked like IT was coming through the screen at you.  

While the 80s TV movie wasn't that great, I still enjoyed Tim Curry's role in it as Pennywise.  With that said, this new version was even creepier and had a psychological flair to it that really captured the part, IMO.  His eyes were fantastically creepy.  The way they would move in different directions with the cackling of his voice.  Just fascinating and creepy.  They drew you into the character whenever he spoke.  Just very well done.

Saw it over the weekend and really enjoyed it.  Love King's books, and IT is an all-time favorite.  I knew going in that it wasn't going to be a complete adaptation, but was very satisfied for what they put together.  The kids did a great job all around, and the clown was just as menacing as I hoped he would be.  There were a few times IT caused my wife to jump as IT looked like IT was coming through the screen at you.  

While the 80s TV movie wasn't that great, I still enjoyed Tim Curry's role in it as Pennywise.  With that said, this new version was even creepier and had a psychological flair to it that really captured the part, IMO.  His eyes were fantastically creepy.  The way they would move in different directions with the cackling of his voice.  Just fascinating and creepy.  They drew you into the character whenever he spoke.  Just very well done.
Apparently him moving his eyes independently was not a special effect (IT/Pennywise 2017)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am likely in the minority, but never read the book, saw the TV movie, or had any idea about the story at all. Not a huge King fan or of horror movies in general. 

I thought it was decent but not great. Thought the kids were good, but I just couldn't buy into the premise of the 27 year cycle.

My wife is the opposite, so she loved it and has been communicating with her horror loving friends from her youth  about it ever since. 

Maybe not having that connection to all things King and horror makes the film more enjoyable . . .

Agreed, movie doesn't do the book justice.

I was disappointed
My daughter went and was disappointed as well.  I'll wait until it goes to streaming

ETA:  I read the book and loved every minute of it until the last 50-100 pages.  The ending was ridiculous and big let down.

I am likely in the minority, but never read the book, saw the TV movie, or had any idea about the story at all. Not a huge King fan or of horror movies in general. 

I thought it was decent but not great. Thought the kids were good, but I just couldn't buy into the premise of the 27 year cycle.
Why is that your hang up?

I only caught two - the quarry and the legos. What else you got?
I only vaguely remember making a mental note - something like a sign in the background.  Maybe for a business?  Maybe also associated with a train?

It's Kings biggest fault as a writer, extremely weak endings. 
Totally agree about the book's ending. It spent all that time building and building for the big show down and then... :shrug:

Got to be extremely hard to wrap up any story/movie/what not. A lot of people can spin a yarn, but how many can take that yarn and give it a satisfactory finish.

I did love the book overall and loved this movie. The kids were phenomenal and I think it'll be hard to cast the grownup versions...  unless they wait for the actors to grow up and then finish the movie.

Totally agree about the book's ending. It spent all that time building and building for the big show down and then... :shrug:

Got to be extremely hard to wrap up any story/movie/what not. A lot of people can spin a yarn, but how many can take that yarn and give it a satisfactory finish.

I did love the book overall and loved this movie. The kids were phenomenal and I think it'll be hard to cast the grownup versions...  unless they wait for the actors to grow up and then finish the movie.
I read today that Chapter 2 is planned for 2019. The only actor they really need to use again is Skarsgård/Pennywise

I read today that Chapter 2 is planned for 2019. The only actor they really need to use again is Skarsgård/Pennywise
So much for that theory, but at least we won't have to wait 30 years for the part 2.

semi spoiler comment:

Some great one liners in the film also. Richie's 'mullet' and Eddie's 'gazebo' [\spolier]

I'm not sure if it's better to sit in front of or behind the guy. If you sit in front, do you really relax knowing that guy is behind you?  On the other hand, if you're behind him and after an hour of him being completely still he turns around and stares at you, that might be worse. 

Im thinking you go alpha and sit right next to him. As the lights dim, just whisper "real killers like to let the victim see what's ending them."  Then put your hand on his and enjoy the movie. 

Saw It last night with the wife. Horror is not usually my genre but I really liked it. The kids and 80's setting gave it a Goonies feel but on a horror level. Felt like an 80's movie. Definitely had several startling moments and I felt chills a few times. Well worth the price of admission. Looking forward to chapter two. 

my 2d fave King book....waiting for the Stand remake which looks better after this monster hit

Enjoyed it very much....I felt it was better than the TV adaptation which is a good star....definitely had a stand by me/stranger things vibe which was good....yes sometmes the CGI went a little out there and too many cheap scare moments (music or jump out at you acts) - but overall a fun ride...my 16 yr old loved it.  

my 2d fave King book....waiting for the Stand remake which looks better after this monster hit

Enjoyed it very much....I felt it was better than the TV adaptation which is a good star....definitely had a stand by me/stranger things vibe which was good....yes sometmes the CGI went a little out there and too many cheap scare moments (music or jump out at you acts) - but overall a fun ride...my 16 yr old loved it.  
A podcast I listen to made a good point about the jump scares in this movie. Jump scares are lame when they are fake jump scares (the friend grabbing them by the shoulder, the cat jumps into the frame, etc.). There were jump scares in this move but none of them were fake. 

I like jump scares when done well. 

A podcast I listen to made a good point about the jump scares in this movie. Jump scares are lame when they are fake jump scares (the friend grabbing them by the shoulder, the cat jumps into the frame, etc.). There were jump scares in this move but none of them were fake. 

I like jump scares when done well. 
fair point.....ill have to re-watch and see.....i do recall the instrumental music being a bit intrusive at times but maybe it was just me....didnt diminish my overall enjoyment....bring on chapter 2!  

As mentioned, I've been listening to a podcast called The Loser's Club, which is a Stephen King fan podcast. A recent episode has what I think is a pretty fair breakdown/review of the film and there is also a great interview with director Andy Muschietti and producer Barbara Muschietti (his sister).  

For what it's worth on recent releases, the podcast hosts HATED Dark Tower and DESPISE The Mist, but generally really like It and love Mr. Mercedes (despite not liking the book at all).

bigbottom said:
As mentioned, I've been listening to a podcast called The Loser's Club, which is a Stephen King fan podcast. A recent episode has what I think is a pretty fair breakdown/review of the film and there is also a great interview with director Andy Muschietti and producer Barbara Muschietti (his sister).  

For what it's worth on recent releases, the podcast hosts HATED Dark Tower and DESPISE The Mist, but generally really like It and love Mr. Mercedes (despite not liking the book at all).
I have been listening to this podcast since day 1. I like it but I admit I often feel I would do a better job. I really despised the first girl they had on. I was happy when they replaced her but the new girl is just a light version of the old one. 

Not to sidetrack, but whoever green-lighted the Mist mini series should have terrible things happen to them, All you had to do was make a series about a bunch of crazy monsters attacking a town--simple huh?? Nope, let's make a show where the Mist knows what you are thinking and it is all supernatural. I guarantee at some point they will bring in climate change---just infuriating they could screw this thing up so badly. 

Now, I know King is way out there with a lot of things and bunch of the stuff he writes could never be shown on film (like the kid orgy scene at the end of IT)  but the Mist is a perfect example of why King's film adaptations have not been good. You get these directors that try and improve on or change what King wrote to fit what they want and it ends up a big mess. 

Wait, so are you guys saying this is NOT a movie about a plucky computer support technician who uses his IT skills to thwart the evil machinations of an unscrupulous board of directors, and gets the beautiful girl in the end?

:kicksrock:    

Wait, so are you guys saying this is NOT a movie about a plucky computer support technician who uses his IT skills to thwart the evil machinations of an unscrupulous board of directors, and gets the beautiful girl in the end?

:kicksrock:    

There is a chapter two. You never know. Hope springs eternal

Ok, I enjoyed it. But I was bummed we didn't see their fort. I wanted to know if what I was imagining was what they would have on screen. Also odd that they changed Mike's story so much. Not sure what the difference would have been. 

And where was Stans bird book. How could they leave that out. 

Kiddnets said:
:goodposting:

I'd  be super pumped if they did a Stand movie(s) and cast Matthew McConaughey as Flagg. 

Also, I agree about The Mist but Dark Tower was pretty good for what it aspired to be. People who didn't like it went in with unrealistic expectations imo. Glad I read some reviews first. I think it nailed it as a "sequel" not trying to be an epic. 

Not to sidetrack, but whoever green-lighted the Mist mini series should have terrible things happen to them, All you had to do was make a series about a bunch of crazy monsters attacking a town--simple huh?? Nope, let's make a show where the Mist knows what you are thinking and it is all supernatural. I guarantee at some point they will bring in climate change---just infuriating they could screw this thing up so badly. 

Now, I know King is way out there with a lot of things and bunch of the stuff he writes could never be shown on film (like the kid orgy scene at the end of IT)  but the Mist is a perfect example of why King's film adaptations have not been good. You get these directors that try and improve on or change what King wrote to fit what they want and it ends up a big mess. 
Haven't seen The Mist series but everything I've heard has been awful. That said, while I generally agree with your point, I do have to say that the ending they added to the movie adaptation of The Mist was amazing.

I have been listening to this podcast since day 1. I like it but I admit I often feel I would do a better job. I really despised the first girl they had on. I was happy when they replaced her but the new girl is just a light version of the old one. 
I've only listened to a few episodes now (man, are they super-long or what?), and there hasn't been a female host. Been listening to the most recent episodes. 

Users who are viewing this thread