What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official John Fetterman thread*** (1 Viewer)

Fetterman is done, IMO. He likely would have won on the merits, but he’s not winning after that debate. A lot of mistakes made by Dems here. That’s par for the course for them since 2016 at least. Again, all IMO.

Could Fetterman be replaced on the ballot for medical reasons or would he have to voluntarily step down/decide not to run?
Would you vote for the next man up, not knowing a thing about them, and on short notice?

Well, I'm assuming they wouldn't nominate someone totally unknown. If I like in PA and planned to vote for Fetterman I'm guessing there's a decent chance I would vote for his replacement. Without having researched it any I would probably vote for Lamb over Oz (as an example) - or vote 3rd party.

Could Fetterman be replaced on the ballot for medical reasons or would he have to voluntarily step down/decide not to run?
Would you vote for the next man up, not knowing a thing about them, and on short notice?

Well, I'm assuming they wouldn't nominate someone totally unknown. If I like in PA and planned to vote for Fetterman I'm guessing there's a decent chance I would vote for his replacement. Without having researched it any I would probably vote for Lamb over Oz (as an example) - or vote 3rd party.
To me, it sounds like a lot of gaming the system can happen if allowed. Candidate A seems good, but not polling well as it gets closer. Let’s yank them for medical or personal reasons, and try another, like a relief pitcher.

Fetterman is not fit to serve in the Senate.

Dr. Oz. - grifting lying opportunist and United Stated Senator.

After watching it is obvious Fetterman is not healthy enough or able to serve. I felt bad for him as he still has a long road to recovery.

Why was he not replaced on the ticket after his illness is the question.
it's back in 6 months or it don't come back. sad to say.

Fetterman is done, IMO. He likely would have won on the merits, but he’s not winning after that debate. A lot of mistakes made by Dems here. That’s par for the course for them since 2016 at least. Again, all IMO.
He is not done and could still win. His team is voting for him no matter what he does.
Of course they are. My take is that non-team members now won’t in sufficient numbers that will cost him the election. IMO.

Do they have to be equal in severity?
1. What Trump and the Dems both did: Used rhetoric before and after the election to undermine election integrity.
2. What Trump and the Dems both did: Used legal means to verify results.
3. What Trump alone did: Concocted scheme to override verified results including fake electors and attempt to strong arm election officials.
4. What Trump alone did: Induced supporters and legislative officials to attempt to disrupt election verification and peaceful transfer of power.

I'll concede 1 and 2 are close enough in equivalence. 3 and 4 take things to a whole new level. Saying that Trump is equal to the Dems in this regard is effectively discounting the severity of 3 and 4.

Last edited:

When you say "the Dems" are you talking about the party officials or the voters in the primary? Fetterman had his stroke 3 days before the primary and no one really knew much about his condition other than he was in the hospital recovering. He won the vote from the people of PA in an actual landslide.

Personally, I voted for Conor Lamb and would have regardless of the stroke, which on election day we really didn't have many details on.

After the election are you saying that the Dem party in PA should have pulled him out of the race, against his will, and it was a mistake not to? I could get on board with that (note: I think primaries in general should be tossed out) but I'm not sure what the rules/laws/procedures are to even do so. And then we'd have the glory of the backlash from all the progressives (with the GOP happily latching onto it and shouting from the rooftops) about corruption in the DNC and how they are silencing voices that aren't establishment, etc etc etc.

This was an unexpected health event very close to the primary and I'm not sure there is any perfect or even good solution.

That being said, some of the comments in here about being a partisan hack for voting Fetterman next week are meh. Maybe. Even if Fetterman is a "walking vegetable" I would vote for an actual vegetable, like a green bean, over Dr. Oz. It's not like his opponent is Marco Rubio or somesuch with reasonable experience and and an honorable character or that may be somewhat moderate in representation of his constituents. It's freaking Dr. Oz - a man who spent decades scamming people with fake diet pills on Oprah and won the GOP nomination in a state he isn't from, my state, because he was promoted by Trump. Yep. I'm going with the green bean.

If Fetterman can't do his job as Senator, hopefully he will resign and be replaced by the governor until another election is held.

When you say "the Dems" are you talking about the party officials or the voters in the primary?
The party officials. I get that it was an unexpected health event. Once it was clear he wasn’t sufficiently recovering though, they should have gotten together with the candidate to figure out an alternative. He was a strong candidate prior to the stroke, it’s really unfortunate. This was pretty uncharted territory, having the timeline presented I’m willing to give a little more of a pass to the Dems (again the party officials not voters) than my previous post stated.

I get where you’re coming from on Oz. It’s really a pretty crazy series of events that led to where we are today. I do stand by the prediction that Fetterman will not win the election. All IMO.

Stolen election narrative isn't even in the top 5 of important issues for Pennsylvanians. Crime, education, taxes, inflation, economy and abortion. The January 6th stuff is just a base energizing topic, it has no sway in this race.
I'm with Bill Maher on this one: The average person isn't very smart. When they wake up one day to realize the other party has effectively destroyed the voting process, they'll wonder what happened.
You’re right the left did that with ballot harvesting and no signature verification.

When you say "the Dems" are you talking about the party officials or the voters in the primary? Fetterman had his stroke 3 days before the primary and no one really knew much about his condition other than he was in the hospital recovering. He won the vote from the people of PA in an actual landslide.

Personally, I voted for Conor Lamb and would have regardless of the stroke, which on election day we really didn't have many details on.

After the election are you saying that the Dem party in PA should have pulled him out of the race, against his will, and it was a mistake not to? I could get on board with that (note: I think primaries in general should be tossed out) but I'm not sure what the rules/laws/procedures are to even do so. And then we'd have the glory of the backlash from all the progressives (with the GOP happily latching onto it and shouting from the rooftops) about corruption in the DNC and how they are silencing voices that aren't establishment, etc etc etc.

This was an unexpected health event very close to the primary and I'm not sure there is any perfect or even good solution.

That being said, some of the comments in here about being a partisan hack for voting Fetterman next week are meh. Maybe. Even if Fetterman is a "walking vegetable" I would vote for an actual vegetable, like a green bean, over Dr. Oz. It's not like his opponent is Marco Rubio or somesuch with reasonable experience and and an honorable character or that may be somewhat moderate in representation of his constituents. It's freaking Dr. Oz - a man who spent decades scamming people with fake diet pills on Oprah and won the GOP nomination in a state he isn't from, my state, because he was promoted by Trump. Yep. I'm going with the green bean.

If Fetterman can't do his job as Senator, hopefully he will resign and be replaced by the governor until another election is held.
that would be his wife.

1. What Trump and the Dems both did: Used rhetoric before and after the election to undermine election integrity.
2. What Trump and the Dems both did: Used legals means to verify results.
3. What Trump alone did: Concocted scheme to override verified results including fake electors and attempt to strong arm election officials.
4. What Trump alone did: Induced supporters and legislative officials to attempt to disrupt election verification and peaceful transfer of power.

I'll concede 1 and 2 are close enough in equivalence. 3 and 4 take things to a whole new level. Saying that Trump is equal to the Dems in this regard is effectively discounting the severity of 3 and 4.
I agree with all of these points. A very big problem I have is Team Blue will never let go of 3 and 4, so nothing heals and we don’t move forward as a country. They vote for inferior candidates based on this logic. it will happen in the midterms and it will happen in 2024. Team Red has to move on from Trump ASAP also. The tail wagging the dog is very frustrating to the average voter.

Reminds me of the time Mel Carnahan was running for senator in Missouri and died in a plane crash shortly before the election. The Democratic message was "Vote for the dead guy", and the Democratic governor promised to appoint his widow in his place. And he won! Against an incumbent senator!

But Republicans had the last laugh; his wife served two years and was then defeated when she ran for a full term.

2. What Trump and the Dems both did: Used legals means to verify results.

I agree with all of these points. A very big problem I have is Team Blue will never let go of 3 and 4, so nothing heals and we don’t move forward as a country. They vote for inferior candidates based on this logic. it will happen in the midterms and it will happen in 2024. Team Red has to move on from Trump ASAP also. The tail wagging the dog is very frustrating to the average voter.
Maybe the reason we can't let go of 3 and 4 is because Trump keeps promising to do it again, and is going all out to have people in place who will ensure it will be successful next time.

When you say "the Dems" are you talking about the party officials or the voters in the primary?
The party officials. I get that it was an unexpected health event. Once it was clear he wasn’t sufficiently recovering though, they should have gotten together with the candidate to figure out an alternative. He was a strong candidate prior to the stroke, it’s really unfortunate. This was pretty uncharted territory, having the timeline presented I’m willing to give a little more of a pass to the Dems (again the party officials not voters) than my previous post stated.

I get where you’re coming from on Oz. It’s really a pretty crazy series of events that led to where we are today. I do stand by the prediction that Fetterman will not win the election. All IMO.

I would not be shocked if they had. That's why I'm interested in what the actual rules or procedures are for such a thing. If he didn't agree to step down, I don't know if they could have forced him to. But what little I know of Fetterman and his personality, I don't get the impression he would have willingly left the race.

The overall timeline is a little fuzzy to me but the family was being very secretive about everything for a while and just posting generic statements that everything was fine and he was doing great etc. I'm not even sure until recently who knew the true state of his condition. You are right it is a crappy situation all around. I really wish we were talking about a Lamb vs McCormick race at the moment. I'm not thrilled with Fetterman's situation and the thought of Dr. Oz representing me in Congress is horrifying.

I really hope you are wrong in your prediction.

You have to consider that our democracy was very lucky to escape with a transfer of power. As former federal judge and Republican testified before the January 6th Committee:

"I have written, as you said, Chairman Thompson, that today, almost two years after that fateful day in January 2021, that still Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present danger to American democracy. That's not because of what happened on January 6th. It's because, to this very day, the former president, his allies, and supporters pledge that, in the presidential election of 2024, if the former president or his anointed successor as the Republican Party presidential candidate were to lose that election, that they would attempt to overturn that 2024 election in the same way that they attempted to overturn the 2020 election, but succeed in 2024 where they failed in 2020. I don't speak those words lightly."

When those potential allies proudly identify themselves during their political campaigns, they're disqualified and I instantly become a one issue voter.

After watching it is obvious Fetterman is not healthy enough or able to serve. I felt bad for him as he still has a long road to recovery.

Why was he not replaced on the ticket after his illness is the question.

IIRC he was leading comfortably in the polls. I don't think anyone thought Oz had a chance so they just ran with Fetterman. Now it's too late.
Further proof that the Dems are no better than the GOP in just focusing on power. At whatever cost. American politics is so broken.

I did. I responded that not all election deniers are identical - but they're still election deniers.
It's fair to point out that the reason/label for my "vote against" may be inaccurate. As I mentioned above, I'm not voting against "election deniers". I'm voting against those who support a President who attempted a coup. Referring back to my list of four items, if Trump had stopped at 1 and 2, there'd be a legitimate debate about the equivalence.

I think it is reasonable to compare the rhetoric of the Dems and Trump. I feel the degree of rhetoric was more severe with Trump, but not enough for Dems to ride a high horse. It's items 3 and 4 that are the concern (for me anyway).

You have to consider that our democracy was very lucky to escape with a transfer of power. As former federal judge and Republican testified before the January 6th Committee:

"I have written, as you said, Chairman Thompson, that today, almost two years after that fateful day in January 2021, that still Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present danger to American democracy. That's not because of what happened on January 6th. It's because, to this very day, the former president, his allies, and supporters pledge that, in the presidential election of 2024, if the former president or his anointed successor as the Republican Party presidential candidate were to lose that election, that they would attempt to overturn that 2024 election in the same way that they attempted to overturn the 2020 election, but succeed in 2024 where they failed in 2020. I don't speak those words lightly."

When those potential allies proudly identify themselves during their political campaigns, they're disqualified and I instantly become a one issue voter.
And little is being done to solve this as it’s in legal red tape. I honestly think the D’s like it this way as they can always play this card.

And little is being done to solve this as it’s in legal red tape. I honestly think the D’s like it this way as they can always play this card.
How the #### anyone would "let go" of 3 and 4 is beyond me.

So what’s your solution? You get to storm the capital after the 24 election, then declare we are even?

OK. I just spent a bit of time reading PA's election code - the actual statute. I am far from a lawyer but I think I got it even though the page long paragraphs of run-on sentences don't help interpretations.

Here is the law if anyone is interested:

My summary of findings:
1. The parties' candidates for many offices, including US Senator, MUST be determined by receiving a plurality of votes in the state's primaries.
2. Any withdrawal from the nomination after the primary must be submitted and signed by the nominee him/herself.
3. The party can only substitute a nomination for a candidate that has withdrawn or died.

So I'm taking away from this that the party couldn't do anything and it was up to Fetterman to withdraw himself. I can't exactly fault him for not doing so because he was way ahead until recently. He should have just hidden and not debated and he probably would have lost fewer votes if his debate last night is as bad as you guys are saying it was.

So what’s your solution? You get to storm the capital after the 24 election, then declare we are even?
Well, we have a start with seditious conspiracy charges and jail time -- lets keep that going to keep it from happening again.

If I hire a house cleaning clew who I later find out has been stealing my jewelry, first thing I do is report them to the police and hope they pay the consequences. Then, when I'm calling around for a replacement crew, and the company on the other line tells me that the previous crew didn't do anything wrong, I make sure those people aren't hired by me or anyone I know. That's the solution.

Trump. The dude is an epic troll and almost nothing he says can be taken seriously because its all for attention.

You are literally feeding the beast that upsets you folks because you can't help yourselves.
You'd have a valid point if there was zero consequence with this guy. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

If I hire a house cleaning clew who I later find out has been stealing my jewelry, first thing I do is report them to the police and hope they pay the consequences. Then, when I'm calling around for a replacement crew, and the company on the other line tells me that the previous crew didn't do anything wrong, I make sure those people aren't hired by me or anyone I know. That's the solution.
It seems to be the same thing with Trump for 30+ years, it’s probably never going to change. The feds can’t even get his tax records, how are they going to solve 1/6? It’s a never ending circus with him, meanwhile life is passing us all by.

Stolen election narrative isn't even in the top 5 of important issues for Pennsylvanians. Crime, education, taxes, inflation, economy and abortion. The January 6th stuff is just a base energizing topic, it has no sway in this race.
I'd rather spend a little more for gas in a democracy than get (the promise of) a discount in an autocracy.
Autocracy is a bit hyperbolic

It seems to be the same thing with Trump for 30+ years, it’s probably never going to change. The feds can’t even get his tax records, how are they going to solve 1/6? It’s a never ending circus with him, meanwhile life is passing us all by.
Sure, he's certainly Teflon Don. Continuing with the housecleaner example, the cleaners who stole my jewelry might not be convicted of theft, but I can still do what's in my power to keep the other company from getting hired.

I mean, the very thing we're talking about, voting, could be rendered useless if we, as a country, don't take a stand to eradicate Trump's behavior and those who defend it. I guess that's fine for the half of the country who holds the power, but aren't free and fair elections important to the greatness of our country?

rather spend a little more for gas in a democracy than get (the promise of) a discount in an autocracy.
Lol at “a little more”
Thanks for proving my point by focusing on the gas price part over the autocracy part.

Gas price is tangible. The autocracy part is a delirious opinion that people been tricked into believing.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Last edited:
Just a reminder for those against "win at all costs" - Fetterman had his stroke BEFORE the primaries. We're watching a win-at-all-costs strategy in real time.
It was 4 days before the primary. Not sure if Penn has mail in voting but many likely didn’t know or had voted.

If Oz wins it was the ultimate gift to Republicans in the Senate.

Just a reminder for those against "win at all costs" - Fetterman had his stroke BEFORE the primaries. We're watching a win-at-all-costs strategy in real time.
It was 4 days before the primary. Not sure if Penn has mail in voting but many likely didn’t know or had voted.

which I say thank you. and let the investigations begin. since there will be no legislation passed. with a do/know nothing president.

which I say thank you. and let the investigations begin. since there will be no legislation passed. with a do/know nothing president.

You guys are voting for Hershel Walker so let’s slow the roll on win at all costs criticism :lol: ?

More for Norville but what would the process be here? This was very unfortunate timing and circumstances. Not sure who would even take the spot if Fetterman decided months ago to step aside.

What's this mean? We're supposed to be excited for a Trump wannabe?
You don’t have to be, and that’s your right. Right now, I’m far from excited about what’s going on.
Agreed. Even on the right, how many people are really going to be excited that Tuesday night and be pumped that Mehmet Oz is going to the Senate? He's a vote for a side, which is better than a vote for the other side, which is really what many of these races have become.

They have had mail in for about a month.

What's this mean? We're supposed to be excited for a Trump wannabe?
You don’t have to be, and that’s your right. Right now, I’m far from excited about what’s going on.
Agreed. Even on the right, how many people are really going to be excited that Tuesday night and be pumped that Mehmet Oz is going to the Senate? He's a vote for a side, which is better than a vote for the other side, which is really what many of these races have become.
I didn‘t see much of the debate, but it was pretty obvious the air was let out of the balloon from the start. What did PA voters really learn about Oz in this? It was basically a running clock from the start, not to embarrass Fetterman. I have to wonder about the 17% who thought Fetterman won.

Users who are viewing this thread