What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Landlord Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Just curious how these "comprehensive" checks work.  I live in a county where I have to physically go to the clerks office to check for evictions (some stuff like marriage licenses are online, supposedly with all civil cases to follow).  Do these services send someone to my courthouse to check (or maybe they call?)?    

Considering selling one of the rentals.  Anyone have a good keep vs sell formula?  would prefer something based on the units net income, not gross rent.

Heck, knew I'd find a thread in FFA. Long/short, our family (primarily me and a brother, and our families) has had a modest 2 season cabin on a very desirable recreational lake. We'd been discussing a knock down/rebuild, but of the blue a property just up our road came on the market. This place is a diamond in the rough, and I want to use rental income to afford it. 

In addition to a main 4 BR/4Season cabin, the oddly large 2.5x wooded lot has 2 other independent 2 BR cabins (rock fireplaces/kitchen in each), and additional living quarters above a large garage. It has 225 feet of sandy beach with 2 docks, western exposure. Across the frontage there are tennis courts, a large garage/shed and 5 acres of woods. We've used our cabin religiously May-October for 30 years and kids are aging, so his is really a dream lot for our longer term multi-family situation.

We're going down every avenue to see if we can make this work in order to avoid kicking ourselves for the next 30 years. It's expensive, but getting the 20% down payment is not an issue. We'd split the remaining mortgage. We've done a bit of research and the few rental cabins on this lake book up weekly rentals the full summer. I suspect our pool of renters may be unique given the unique property, but it may actually be possible to rent out individual cabins if we can't rent the whole place. Anyone ever own and rent cabins or other weekly vacation listing? If we can even make 1/2 the mortgage for the next 5-10 years, I'd be signing papers tomorrow.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump for the AM crowd, interested in any experience with weekly vacation rentals.

Bump for the AM crowd, interested in any experience with weekly vacation rentals.

Either you'll pay a PM firm and arm and leg or you're taking on a second job and third job.  The first is likely your best option but figure on spending 20-40% of the gross.  If you sign up for another job you'll need to be available anytime it's rented, manage a cleaning crew, deal with credit card processing, account for security deposits, and collect and report taxes to the state (possibly monthly).

Most people I'd tell to run away.  In you situation it sounds like your use / enjoyment will tip the scales in the other direction.

Either you'll pay a PM firm and arm and leg or you're taking on a second job and third job.  The first is likely your best option but figure on spending 20-40% of the gross.  If you sign up for another job you'll need to be available anytime it's rented, manage a cleaning crew, deal with credit card processing, account for security deposits, and collect and report taxes to the state (possibly monthly).

Most people I'd tell to run away.  In you situation it sounds like your use / enjoyment will tip the scales in the other direction.
Thanks for your initial thoughts. I've been doing a lot of legwork on this and things are looking up. We are still educating ourselves but are not planning to hire a firm. That could change if this becomes a PITA, but for now we're up there every weekend during the summer and believe we could hire out pretty easily cleaning/mowing. We already know a handyman/yard guy who does our fall/spring lawn work for peanuts, and cleaning should doable by tacking on a $50-$75 per rental fee and finding a local (what a renting friend of ours does).

The other rentals on our lake work through VRBO, and rent for $1800-$2000 per week. Figuring conservatively renting these as 3 independent units could gross $4500-$5000 per week. Same friend mentioned we may have off-season renters @ the 4-season/4 BR unit as this area has a huge snowmobiler draw in the winter due to wooded trails/lakes. We'd have to think that through as we'd not be around. Another thing I didn't mention is there is a farm 1/2 mile from us who has opened an event center and is building a wedding chapel for opening in 2017. Might be a good referral opportunity for families looking for a compound 1/2 mile away, and no less expensive resorts on the lake. Hotels are 15-20 minutes each direction from us.

One thing that is becoming a catch is financing options. Due to rental intent and multi structure property, local banks are telling us we need to go non-conventional 5/1 ARM due to Freddie/Fannie rules. We've found some NOO lenders online who are offering 30 year fixed @ <> 4.1% but I'm not sure if that may become more complicated than working local. It's a pretty significant monthly cost difference if we need to go ARM. After down payment, the ARM monthly expense on $300K remainder is what we planned to pay @ $350K remainder using a 30 year fixed. Good news is this place is probably more expensive even for those who are not intending to rent, as the multi-structure is going to force OO's to the non-conventional as well. 

Figured I'd bump for a question that I have on a 1-bedroom 865 sq. ft. apartment with hardwood floors that I lease through a property manager in central NJ. Asking is $1225/mo, and open to pets. We have a lady who is interested and asked about having 2 cats and a dog. Property manager asked if I was open to this, and I am ... for a fee. I did some quick research, and it looks like $25/mo per pet is a good rough number. I'm not an expert, which is why I'm here and use a property manager, but I feel that's reasonable along with a confirm on renter's insurance for my risk. Property manager coming back with $25 for all 3, and I'm not comfortable with that and we're going back and forth now. I think max I'd budge is $50/mo for all 3 pets and a firm $1225 on the rent.

I'm willing to pass, as I look at this as a profit center coupled with risk in allowing 3 pets and $75/mo and renter's insurance making me whole to take the risk. Fair or not?

That seems fair. Could you also has for a larger deposit? Some apartments out here in SoCal are asking for $250 non-refundable pet deposits.
I'm thinking that could be a plan B/C if we need to go that route or things get desperate. Would prefer the monthly fee, as I can just reserve that myself for any damages. Thanks, though.

Figured I'd bump for a question that I have on a 1-bedroom 865 sq. ft. apartment with hardwood floors that I lease through a property manager in central NJ. Asking is $1225/mo, and open to pets. We have a lady who is interested and asked about having 2 cats and a dog. Property manager asked if I was open to this, and I am ... for a fee. I did some quick research, and it looks like $25/mo per pet is a good rough number. I'm not an expert, which is why I'm here and use a property manager, but I feel that's reasonable along with a confirm on renter's insurance for my risk. Property manager coming back with $25 for all 3, and I'm not comfortable with that and we're going back and forth now. I think max I'd budge is $50/mo for all 3 pets and a firm $1225 on the rent.

I'm willing to pass, as I look at this as a profit center coupled with risk in allowing 3 pets and $75/mo and renter's insurance making me whole to take the risk. Fair or not?
I'd do $75/mo for all three.  Three pets in 865 sq ft?   Not a fan of that many in that small of a space.

Thats the fee we charge (50 for larger dogs) for our rentals that are half the price of yours.  Definitely get an extra deposit if you think the tenant can swing it. 

Can we get this going again?  Seriously considering shifting some of our savings out of the market and renting a few houses.  We currently have one and have been fortunate with the experience so far.  

Experienced guys:

- what is your minimum expected annual rate of return on your investment before you buy (after taxes, fees, etc.)

- how do you find the houses you buy for rent (any insight rather than just looking at real estate sites and craig's list?) 

- potential return looks to be a lot higher.  What are the challenges with these and how do you handle those? (more repairs, maybe tougher to collect rent and/or eviction issues)                  

Can we get this going again?  Seriously considering shifting some of our savings out of the market and renting a few houses.  We currently have one and have been fortunate with the experience so far.  

Experienced guys:

- what is your minimum expected annual rate of return on your investment before you buy (after taxes, fees, etc.)

- how do you find the houses you buy for rent (any insight rather than just looking at real estate sites and craig's list?) 

- potential return looks to be a lot higher.  What are the challenges with these and how do you handle those? (more repairs, maybe tougher to collect rent and/or eviction issues)                  
1) 10% or more....

2) I use to call the listing agent and talk to them. If they had a clue about investing, I'd have them set up email search for me. I can find the right agent in any market for you in 20 minutes if you are interested.

3) I've always bought things in very good repair. Just my style. Others I'm sure can chime in here.

1) 10% or more....

2) I use to call the listing agent and talk to them. If they had a clue about investing, I'd have them set up email search for me. I can find the right agent in any market for you in 20 minutes if you are interested.

3) I've always bought things in very good repair. Just my style. Others I'm sure can chime in here.

That is 10% after property taxes but before income taxes though ...right?

Would love to talk if you are open to it.  

I am the same way with wanting stuff in good shape.  

Any books I should get ?

That is 10% after property taxes but before income taxes though ...right?

Would love to talk if you are open to it.  

I am the same way with wanting stuff in good shape.  

Any books I should get ?
10% after everything!  Depreciation Expense eliminates most of my expenses.

I read about 10 books eleven years ago. I forget which.  I just picked out the parts that applies to my style best and went for it. The one thing I always remembered when I started to look for my larger project..... "If the fences are in good repair, the rest of the place is usually in good repair because that one of the last items to repair."

Experienced guys:

1) Average is 18% after all expenses (including income taxes) across all properties.  7% lowest, 41% highest.  The duplexes return the highest % and represent the most evictions & maintenance, cleaning, and repair costs.  The nice, trouble free single family homes represent the lowest.

2) Usually just realtor.com

3) We purchase mostly beaters and spend some time and money rehabbing.  Our game is to make them nicer than expected and charge a little more.   We will not rent to anyone with prior evictions, but still get the occasional deadbeat. 

This is one we are interested in seeing, when they are able to show it.  My realtor said it can't be shown right now due to a massive bug problem lol.  It will probably take $5K, and a few months work to get it rentable.  Should rent for $700/mo.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/551-W-North-St_Sidney_OH_45365_M44223-80071

Holy ####.  $5/SF ...and rent for $700/mo.?

BTW - thanks for your information here.  

fYI - born and raised in Fairborn.

Need some advice/help. I have a tenant that is two months off on rent and I just found out he is planning on moving to Maine this weekend. Total rent due is $3200. I probably don't have enough time to file in court and get him served, so what can I do? He was open to meeting but he was making excuses and definitely buying time until this weekend came. Also, once I told him I knew of his moving plans, he's gone cstu. 

What should I do?

Need some advice/help. I have a tenant that is two months off on rent and I just found out he is planning on moving to Maine this weekend. Total rent due is $3200. I probably don't have enough time to file in court and get him served, so what can I do? He was open to meeting but he was making excuses and definitely buying time until this weekend came. Also, once I told him I knew of his moving plans, he's gone cstu. 

What should I do?
Be thankful he's leaving and consider it a cheap lesson learned.

What should I do?
how much is the security deposit?

how much is the security deposit?
One month. 

This guy is my real life version of cstu. Just a scumbag scam artist. So tired of dealing with people. Im thinking about getting out of this property adventure, or at the least moving this rental to the management company I use for another property. 

What should I do?
First, identify where you went wrong in your background check.  We all get a deadbeat scam artist here and there.  Did you fall for a story?  Do a criminal and civil background check?  Call his employer?  Call his previous landlords?  Verify everything you can?  Likely there was a red flag before you signed the lease if he really is a scam artist.

Second, why on earth did you let him get 2 months behind?  I can never understand this.  Ok, maybe under certain circumstances (I have a self employed tenant that gets very little work Nov-Feb and does fall behind.  But he does pay what he can in those months, always touches base with me, and always settles up with his tax refund.  But he's been with me for 5 years).  So is this guy a tenant thats been with you for years, or did this happen in the first year?  I'm on top of my tenants by the 5th if I haven't received rent by then.  I want to know why they haven't paid, and when they will pay.  If they don't follow up with a plan that works for me they get until the 10th to move.  If they're still there on the 10th they get a 3 day. 

As far as what can you do now?  Give him a 3 day (or what ever your state says you must do to start the process).  Don't let him dictate the move (how do you know he is moving THIS weekend?).  You can follow up with the eviction even if he is gone and win a default judgement if he is a no show.  Start the process.

What should I do?
Update?  Did he move?

What's a good (candy-coated) way to raise rent? I'm allowed to raise up to 3% when the 1 year agreement is up in May and intend to raise the full amount. My tenant is great and likely won't blink at the 3% but I want to make it as nice as possible.

What's a good (candy-coated) way to raise rent? I'm allowed to raise up to 3% when the 1 year agreement is up in May and intend to raise the full amount. My tenant is great and likely won't blink at the 3% but I want to make it as nice as possible.
Show them comps where they are paying less than market rate.

I've never raised rent on a tenant (I hike it between tenants), but I would just say something like "due to increases on property taxes and insurance"

So I'm evicting a tenant.  We're all the way though the process to the point the sheriff has scheduled the lock out.  Tenant's adult daughter calls me the night before.  Grandfather is in the hospital and mom is in jail for parole violation.  She's begging for an extension and I tell her we're beyond that point.  She calls me a #### and hangs up.

Next morning the office forwards me a call and it's her again....

Her - I was speaking with someone yesterday, may have been you.

Me - Yes, I'm the ####.

Her - Sorry....blah, blah, blah.....

Me - You can call me Mister ****

She wanted an extra hour to get her dogs out.  Had to tell her we were on the sheriffs schedule, not mine.  

Nice!  Had to show up with the sheriff once.  After not paying rent (10 days late), getting 3 day notice, getting court date 3 weeks later, getting 10 more days after being evicted, he got a moving truck on the 11th day.  I showed up to change the locks and he asked for another hour to get his stuff loaded up.  My answer was no, changing the locks now.  You come back with $500 and you can have your ####.  He came back with $500.

Its just a game to some people.

Nice!  Had to show up with the sheriff once.  After not paying rent (10 days late), getting 3 day notice, getting court date 3 weeks later, getting 10 more days after being evicted, he got a moving truck on the 11th day.  I showed up to change the locks and he asked for another hour to get his stuff loaded up.  My answer was no, changing the locks now.  You come back with $500 and you can have your ####.  He came back with $500.

Its just a game to some people.
Unfortunately we can't hold there stuff hostage.  They have another 7 days after the lock out and we have to meet them to let them in to move out the rest of their crap.  Technically we do have another option and that's to haul it to storage, but that's not realistic or economically feasible.

Out of the ordinary situation;

Last February 1st, we leased our 2 bedroom house to 2 single women. We leased to them on the same contract, so they were both individually responsible for the entire lease if one of them flaked. They treated it as a 50/50 lease, each gave half of the 2 month deposit and we received two checks every month, each of half the rent. Everything has gone well.

One of the women has purchased a home of her own and wants to move out at lease end (January 31st).

The other (Tenant#1) would like to stay and sign a 12 month lease. She would have qualified on her own to rent the place, she has the income (but not great credit) and she was renting an apartment, on her own, at the same rent as our place, prior to moving in.

She would like to find another room mate, and our preference would be to sign a new lease with 2 people (each fully responsible), but some of her options are not sure they'll want to stay a full 12 months (and also sound to be indefinite on the length of time they'd like to stay).

Has anyone ran into a situation like this? Right now, I can see 3 options:

1. Signing a new 12 month lease with her alone and allow her to choose a room mate to lessen her load.

2. Signing a shorter term lease with her and her new room mate, based on the expected duration of their stay and allowing them to go month to month until they finally move out (then starting over with a new room mate and an uncertain plan).

3. Signing a 12 month lease that holds Tenant#1 responsible for the remainder of the lease should a new tenant move out.

Any advice? Any questions I can clear up to provide better advice?

What should I do?
I'll tell you what my father did. He'd get my uncle to go over there with a pitbul and a concealed handgun. No ####. They always paid. 

Question about a fence.  Its my first real time renting and I pulled on the top half of fence to close the gate and it snapped off the top portion.   Its an older wooden fence and I was curious if this is something a tenant will be held to or not. 

Out of the ordinary situation;

Last February 1st, we leased our 2 bedroom house to 2 single women. We leased to them on the same contract, so they were both individually responsible for the entire lease if one of them flaked. They treated it as a 50/50 lease, each gave half of the 2 month deposit and we received two checks every month, each of half the rent. Everything has gone well.

One of the women has purchased a home of her own and wants to move out at lease end (January 31st).

The other (Tenant#1) would like to stay and sign a 12 month lease. She would have qualified on her own to rent the place, she has the income (but not great credit) and she was renting an apartment, on her own, at the same rent as our place, prior to moving in.

She would like to find another room mate, and our preference would be to sign a new lease with 2 people (each fully responsible), but some of her options are not sure they'll want to stay a full 12 months (and also sound to be indefinite on the length of time they'd like to stay).

Has anyone ran into a situation like this? Right now, I can see 3 options:

1. Signing a new 12 month lease with her alone and allow her to choose a room mate to lessen her load.

2. Signing a shorter term lease with her and her new room mate, based on the expected duration of their stay and allowing them to go month to month until they finally move out (then starting over with a new room mate and an uncertain plan).

3. Signing a 12 month lease that holds Tenant#1 responsible for the remainder of the lease should a new tenant move out.

Any advice? Any questions I can clear up to provide better advice?
for me, number 3 would be the closest thing to what I would want.  This gives the security to you, but also gives them some flexibility.

Question about a fence.  Its my first real time renting and I pulled on the top half of fence to close the gate and it snapped off the top portion.   Its an older wooden fence and I was curious if this is something a tenant will be held to or not. 
it's hard to say.  if I were the landlord, i would probably take into account the overall situation (condition of the fence, how good of a tenant you are, etc.)  There is normal wear and tear to be expected, but if you are a PITA, I would at least put it in my mental ledger for security deposit down the line.  Also read all the terms of the lease to see if anything is specified that would relate to the situation.

it's hard to say.  if I were the landlord, i would probably take into account the overall situation (condition of the fence, how good of a tenant you are, etc.)  There is normal wear and tear to be expected, but if you are a PITA, I would at least put it in my mental ledger for security deposit down the line.  Also read all the terms of the lease to see if anything is specified that would relate to the situation.
:thumbup: Good stuff. 

So looking for some thoughts and guidance on a situation i have with my rental. Furnace apparently blew last night and I am trying to get a new one installed tomorrow but this heating guy isn't calling me back. If i can't get him to install the heater tomorrow, what is the most fair move for me to do? This furnace is already an unexpected (not totally but timing sucks) BIG expense. But i was thinking of maybe telling them to give me a pro-rated rent check for the next month like a few days off or something? Do i need to go as far as offering to pay for a hotel stay (hope not, but kind of feel bad if i don't). the renters have been a bit of a pain in my ###, but not like pieces of ####. More like girls who were needy moving in and are not home owners so they don't care for every little piece of it. 

I am sure nothing in the lease says anything about this (i will check to make sure but i'm 98% sure it doesn't)

Is this your only rental?  You should have a hvac guy on your payroll.  One that will do repairs at the drop of a hat.

If your guy is not calling you back, call a 24hr place and tell them  you own properties.  They should be more than happy to help you out 24/7. 

I've had furnaces replaced within 6 hrs of a phone call.

I recommend Adam Mechanical, assuming that you live where I assume you live.  They are usually super-responsive, though I can't promise exactly how fast they can get out.

It is probably fair to knock a little something off the rent, as I think they have the right to withhold anyway.  I'm not sure of the legal requirement relating to heat, but there may be one.

I recommend Adam Mechanical, assuming that you live where I assume you live.  They are usually super-responsive, though I can't promise exactly how fast they can get out.

It is probably fair to knock a little something off the rent, as I think they have the right to withhold anyway.  I'm not sure of the legal requirement relating to heat, but there may be one.
Yeah my guy is either Andy or Adam but could be him. Good news is they are getting out there today, but yeah I gained a few grey hairs waiting for a call back. 

And yeah random its my only property. I had hoped for 3 or so about 8-10 years ago but unexpected costs have me at 1 

And yeah random its my only property. I had hoped for 3 or so about 8-10 years ago but unexpected costs have me at 1 
We actually found our guy because he worked for the company we used to use.  After the third or fourth service call (for different properties) he gave me his personal number and said to call him directly and he could save us a bunch of $.  He charges less than half what his company does.  Completely replaced a gas furnace in a 4 bed house last winter for $1400 total.  Service calls including easy repairs are $100.

As for the rest of your question, if you're getting the furnace replaced (or repaired) in a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't offer jack to the tenants. 

We actually found our guy because he worked for the company we used to use.  After the third or fourth service call (for different properties) he gave me his personal number and said to call him directly and he could save us a bunch of $.  He charges less than half what his company does.  Completely replaced a gas furnace in a 4 bed house last winter for $1400 total.  Service calls including easy repairs are $100.

As for the rest of your question, if you're getting the furnace replaced (or repaired) in a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't offer jack to the tenants. 
yeah sounds good. I try and do a lot of the work myself (living in Philadelphia the rates and charges for some things can be nutty). I got lucky in that I bartended for a 5-6 years awhile ago, and I know people through that. Got a great plumber when I need him, and it is refreshing knowing a professional can come in and won't try and jack up rates or replace a whole thing when the job can be done much cheaper and more reasonable.

So looking for some thoughts and guidance on a situation i have with my rental. Furnace apparently blew last night and I am trying to get a new one installed tomorrow but this heating guy isn't calling me back. If i can't get him to install the heater tomorrow, what is the most fair move for me to do? This furnace is already an unexpected (not totally but timing sucks) BIG expense. But i was thinking of maybe telling them to give me a pro-rated rent check for the next month like a few days off or something? Do i need to go as far as offering to pay for a hotel stay (hope not, but kind of feel bad if i don't). the renters have been a bit of a pain in my ###, but not like pieces of ####. More like girls who were needy moving in and are not home owners so they don't care for every little piece of it. 

I am sure nothing in the lease says anything about this (i will check to make sure but i'm 98% sure it doesn't)
Do you call your mortgage company and get a hotel stay covered when your heat is out?

When the tenant leaves the stove on via accident and burns your home down do they pay the mortgage and to rebuild the home?

My opinion is that as long as you are using due diligence to get the problem resolved that aren't owed a thing.  That said, I would go buy them a space heater.

It's going to vary by state.

Also their renters insurance might cover loss of use.

Users who are viewing this thread