What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL LEAGUE POSTPONEMENTS - Browns v Raiders now Monday (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Thoughts?

@MySportsUpdate

The #Browns have more COVID positive cases coming along with Case Keenum.

@AdamSchefter

And there’s more: Browns also have four other defensive players that tested positive for COVID-19 today, bringing the total of Cleveland players with it this week to 20, per @ByKimberleyA and me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe with the new protocols some of them can make it back. 

But this policy was doomed to fail from the start. 

Honestly, sucks for Cleveland, but I see no reason to make an exception for them, when Denver literally didn't get to have a QB for a game last season.

Sad thing is, unlike Denver last year, I can't say for certain Cleveland loses without all those players this week. The running game should still be effective, and while the defense is short handed, they still have most of their best guys, including arguably the DPOY in Garrett.

Would anybody really be shocked if Mullens was good enough to keep the offense on track, while Chubb/Johnson combined for 200 on the ground, and the browns won, or at least kept it close?

Would anybody really be shocked if Mullens was good enough to keep the offense on track, while Chubb/Johnson combined for 200 on the ground, and the browns won, or at least kept it close?

at least with no stefanki, we might have someone w brains enough to actually run the ball as much as possible.

At first I wanted the Bills to get moved to Saturday as a season ticket holder. 

the Browns have 47 primetime games.  Keep it as is. 

Denver last year is apples to oranges IMO

If you're sick, don't play

Maybe if you're not vaxed, don't play

We should maybe LEARN from things like Denver

So either let guys play who are vaxed or push the game back.  You can still have a national TV window if you push this game til Tuesday or push the whole week back, figure out some smarter protocols and lose the super bowl bye week

Denver last year is apples to oranges IMO

If you're sick, don't play

Maybe if you're not vaxed, don't play

We should maybe LEARN from things like Denver

So either let guys play who are vaxed or push the game back.  You can still have a national TV window if you push this game til Tuesday or push the whole week back, figure out some smarter protocols and lose the super bowl bye week

Can't push Browns to Tuesday.  They are scheduled for the following Saturday as well (Christmas Day at GB).  

Let me repeat again. The NFL can NOT just allow vaccinated non-symptomatic players to play with tthe backing of the NFLPA

This does not seem to be sinking in for people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't push Browns to Tuesday.  They are scheduled for the following Saturday as well (Christmas Day at GB).  
Is this about player safety or about a tv window?  Why is Cleveland even congregating right now?  You're bringing guys to practice and bringing wider spread

Let me repeat again. The NFL can NOT just allow vaccinated non-symptomatic players to play with the approval the backing of the NFLPA

This does not seem to be sinking in for people.

It actually is.  The NFLPA needs to do their part to make that happen.  De Smith could do a good thing for once.

I get what you're saying, but if we do that the answer to the OP is

NO.  End Of Thread.
Since it doesn't look like the NFL is moving to postpone games, that's probably for the best.

If we continue the conversation maybe we just all agree to accept the reality that the virus is there and discuss game impact and not testing, being symptomatic or viral loads.

At this point, if they postponed Cle v LVR they would also have to postpone LAR v Sea and Phi v WFT. That directly impacts those six teams and the six teams they are scheduled to face the following week.

The only other option is postponing the entire week which the networks who pay the bills may have some issues with. Not to mention the Super Bowl host city as losing the bye would cost Los Angeles millions of dollars in anticipated revenue from events scheduled around the SB.

I sincerely doubt anything gets moved.

Have any unvaccinated players lost a paycheck for missing a game as the rules allow? Because if that’s still in the rules, there’s no way the NFLPA can allow positive players to practice or play games. Put another way, there’s no way the NFL can force an unvaccinated player to practice with or line up with or against a known positive player if doing so puts his paycheck at risk. I don’t see how the league can allow known positives to play in any case, but at minimum they’d have to scrap the punitive sections of the policy that punish unvaccinated more harshly than vaccinated players. 

Maybe with the new protocols some of them can make it back.
It's likely that some of them will. It's also likely that more players will keep testing positive for awhile. There's a decent chance that the number of players coming back will be less than the number that test positive next week. Then we have the same situation but worse. The competitive imbalance in games will be even greater, making some of them a joke and more dangerous in terms of in-game injuries.

The NFLPA has suggested postponing regular season games for a week to get a better handle on it, and eliminate the bye week between the conferenc championships and the Super Bowl.

They can't though. They're too invested in the image of "safety". Letting "infected" players play would run counter to that image.
You don't need the quotation marks, which suggest those things are phony. Leave that for the PSA.

It's about reality.  Letting vaccinated asymptomatic players play does nothing to endanger players.
Asymptomatic vaccinated players with COVID can spread it to others, as can asymptomatic people in other lines of work. That's well-known.

All teams in enhanced protocols have to test all unvaccinated players daily for COVID, to keep it from spreading to other players. 2 teams tried to get out of that today. The NFLPA got involved, and the testing requirement will be enforced.

I want so damn bad for this season to go on and finish and so does everyone here. Keeping positive players out of the locker room, practices, and games seems like the best way to limit it, and to limit it's effect on games the least. 

There are only two options. Either Browns forfeit or they play with practice squad players. Anything else would be a joke, this is what was announced by the NFL at the start of the season. Postponing games will not change anything and only opens a can of worms for the NFL where they will be (rightfully) accused of taking sides in deciding when to postpone and when not to. Why punish the team without any cases (see Steelers last season)?

If I was a player,  would hesitant to even take the field.  Even with the testing, COVID seems too rampant in the Browns organization right now to trust that all of the cases are identified..

It sucks for the Browns but you can't reschedule.  There is no guarantee they (or the Raiders) won't have even more cases by Tuesday.

Either play with who you have or forfeit.  

You don't need the quotation marks, which suggest those things are phony. Leave that for the PSA.

Asymptomatic vaccinated players with COVID can spread it to others, as can asymptomatic people in other lines of work. That's well-known.

But they are not in danger if they are vaccinated.  And have we had one documented case of it being transmitted on a playing field or court?  Last I read we have not.

It seems like it should be simple.  If you test positive for the virus you are out.  If you test negative you are free to play. 

Didn't the Raiders get forced to play last year when they had like half the defense and almost all their OL go through this (I think the OL problem was because the one guy took his tracker off and flaunted the protocals and got COVID), the NFL held firm and many felt the Raiders were punished for it making them play that game. I thought it was however moved from a Saturday primetime game though...can't remember. 

Now imagine if they moved this game for Cleveland and the Raiders are the opponent.....As many have said - I don't think it gets moved, and the NFL sticks to the either field a team or forfeit mantra. 

I would love to see Hinton play QB again - too bad he is not on the Browns roster.  I agree with the above sentiment that they probably will not move the game but hate seeing teams depleted because of Covid because it could have playoff implications for the Browns and it leads to unwatchable football. 

And have we had one documented case of it being transmitted on a playing field or court?  Last I read we have not.
For most cases it isn't documented where it came from. I'm not sure how that could be known. It's difficult to believe that all these players suddenly contracted COVID from outside sources at the same time.  Players practice and meet, spend a good bit of time around each other during the week and play against each other on gamedays.

Users who are viewing this thread