What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (4 Viewers)

Here's something I find interesting.  Desmond's hatch mate knew enough about the island to work on the invisible map.  Why didn't he tell Desmond about it?  Desmond acted shocked/intrigued when Locke told him he found another hatch.
Desmond knew about the invisible map made from laundry detergent. He watched him work on it. I suspect Locke will find it when he waked up paralyzed again next season.
But I don't know if Desmond ever saw it under the black light. He called it an "invisible map" or something like that.
I have feeling that map is like ants drawing up the ant farm, when in a larger scale, they are in an ant farm and I can see the whold damn thing inside and out.
Toke it up, brotha!

regarding the plane that crashes after the credits - they are saying it is the same scene in the promo for the season finale:

I heard that some or most of season 3 will give us the backstories of the Others. It sounds odd because we have been with the Losties for so long but imagine season 3 kicking off with Day 1 at the beach with the Others camp instead. Then, we get all the Others and their stories in those first 7 episodes (if those rumors are true on WIKI). We do not see any of the Losties for those first 7 shows, only in flashbacks but instead learn all about the Others and what they go through. I think that would be pretty cool to see. I would miss seeing Kate those episodes but we would learn a lot about the Others for sure.

regarding the plane that crashes after the credits - they are saying it is the same scene in the promo for the season finale:

"Heard?"Interestnig theory - I would bet that, if true, the others' stories launch a LOT of scenes with the other Lost folks

One of the producers had confirmed this in an interview. I forget where I read it though. Either AOL, EW, or something like that.

Cool theory - should prove very interesting. Although I fear a return to the "lazy days" from season one (that's what I call them) where a new character was spotlighted each week with MASSIVE flashback/background scenes.

Here's something I find interesting. Desmond's hatch mate knew enough about the island to work on the invisible map. Why didn't he tell Desmond about it? Desmond acted shocked/intrigued when Locke told him he found another hatch.
Desmond knew about the invisible map made from laundry detergent. He watched him work on it. I suspect Locke will find it when he waked up paralyzed again next season.
But I don't know if Desmond ever saw it under the black light. He called it an "invisible map" or something like that.
I have feeling that map is like ants drawing up the ant farm, when in a larger scale, they are in an ant farm and I can see the whold damn thing inside and out.
Toke it up, brotha!
Not till 9:00.

Would probably make for some cool revelations, but I like this show because of the characters we know, I would be very disappointed not seeing them at all for the first 7 episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool theory - should prove very interesting. Although I fear a return to the "lazy days" from season one (that's what I call them) where a new character was spotlighted each week with MASSIVE flashback/background scenes.
Of course, they are going to try to milk this for all it's worth.

only on page 161 so I have not read everyones post yet but why no mention of how the others were able to capture Jack, Michael, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley? Were they invisible? They shot poison darts at them from out of nowhere and then were dragged to the ground and the "others" appeared out of nowhere. Had to get that off my chest. Hopefully no one else has addresed that yet. :D

How come he said that the stain on the ceiling was Kelvim Escobar when Kelvim in fact died outside of the hatch?  What was the stain?
No, the stain was supposedly Kelvin's earlier partner.
:rolleyes:
I don't get it.
There's a LOST website that says it's spaghetti, not his "partner's" brain matter.
The website can't be wrong? There was a scene where Desmond was asking, "what happened to this partner you always speak of?" Kelvim pointed up at the ceiling and said he ate a shotgun shell.

Intersting. Since the season will be broken into a string of 7 episodes followed by 18 straight episodes starting in Jan/Feb...we won't see the cast we know for 9 months.

only on page 161 so I have not read everyones post yet but why no mention of how the others were able to capture Jack, Michael, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley? Were they invisible? They shot poison darts at them from out of nowhere and then were dragged to the ground and the "others" appeared out of nowhere. Had to get that off my chest. Hopefully no one else has addresed that yet. :D
:unsure: Ummm...trees? Jungle? Rocks? Undergrowth?

How come he said that the stain on the ceiling was Kelvim Escobar when Kelvim in fact died outside of the hatch?  What was the stain?
No, the stain was supposedly Kelvin's earlier partner.
:rolleyes:
I don't get it.
There's a LOST website that says it's spaghetti, not his "partner's" brain matter.
The website can't be wrong? There was a scene where Desmond was asking, "what happened to this partner you always speak of?" Kelvim pointed up at the ceiling and said he ate a shotgun shell.
Can't believe this is seriously be debated...it was pretty clear.Must be a joke...

ok, my question is:

what exactly happened that made jack so sure that michael was setting them up? he told sayid that they still werent sure if he had turned.

obviously something made him 100% sure. i cant understand how having a couple "others" tracking them would make him think michael was up to no good.
Isn't the fact that there were Others tracking them what made Jack 110% sure? Michael couldn't have acted any worse at the camp to begin with and after a couple talks with Sayid, I think Jack was already on board (gave Michael an unloaded gun). I think he was already sure and that the trackers made Jack angry enough to out him right there instead of waiting till they met up with Sayid.

ok, my question is:

what exactly happened that made jack so sure that michael was setting them up? he told sayid that they still werent sure if he had turned.

obviously something made him 100% sure. i cant understand how having a couple "others" tracking them would make him think michael was up to no good.
Isn't the fact that there were Others tracking them what made Jack 110% sure? Michael couldn't have acted any worse at the camp to begin with and after a couple talks with Sayid, I think Jack was already on board (gave Michael an unloaded gun). I think he was already sure and that the trackers made Jack angry enough to out him right there instead of waiting till they met up with Sayid.
What's also interesting is that you could tell by the look on his face that Michael knew he was found out when he started firing the unloaded gun at Toucan Sam.If there was the slightest chance he'd turncoat back, it was gone after that.

Could the russians be very close to the island?  Remember the polar bear?
Not sure, based on the climate I would say no, but I am not sure if they were in Russia or at the South Pole. I would think that either way they are probably close to one of the poles, thinking it might be easier to measure a magnetic anomoly that way?
Considering this flight was supposed to be from Australia to LA, southern pole is most likely answer between Russia or Southern Pole. Anywhere in the pacific oceon where an anamoly exists could work - who says it is one of the poles? If it is atlantis or an alien thing, it could be anywhere.
Just a guess that one of the poles would be a good area to track magnetic anomolies. I took a few Physics and Engineering courses at an Ivy League school (not the Big H like the prankmeister C), but unfortunately must have missed the best place to track a hidden island with weird EM pulses so that is just a guess.Seeing as the guys are from Portugal (sorry Hulk, I just assumed the thread was correct and this was from before the correction ;) ), and they were in a mighty cold location and the island is near Fiji, I think the South Pole or Antarctica is a pretty good guess.

Did you not notice the fact that there was only snow and ice in the outside shots and that it appeared cold? I just wanted to point that out since you didn't realize that Zeke and Ethan referred to someone else as the Other's leader before. ;) *

*Note the smiley this time denoting sarcasm. ;) ;)

BTW, apologies go out to all those that I ridiculed for saying the magnet would pull a plane 30,000 feet out of the sky. Still seems ridiculous to me, but it happened.
Here's my theory. The magnet didn't pull the plane out of the sky...it just messed up the instruments.
I like it on the surface, but it doesn't really explain how the plane broke apart in mid-air. From the flashback scenes in the plane you could clearly see people being sucked out of the plane into the air and there was no ground near them. Not to mention that most commercial flights don't fly much higher than 30-35000 feet to begin with.Being closer to the ground would, hwoever, explain how Jack and others appear to have been "dropped" onto the ground without serious injury.
This is exactly my point. The plane was supposed to be at 35,000 feet. The magnet screwed with the instruments and the plane thought it was flying at 60,000 in an instant. It started a sharp descent to get back to the correct 35,000 feet. The oxygen masks drop as the plane descends. The descent is too sharp for the aircraft and it breaks apart as it nears what appears to be the 30,000 level--which is actually sea level.
Haven't read ahead to see if anyone else said this, but this would also help explain (or at least be slightly more plausible) how most of those on the plane were able to survive the crash.

ok, my question is:

what exactly happened that made jack so sure that michael was setting them up?  he told sayid that they still werent sure if he had turned. 

obviously something made him 100% sure.  i cant understand how having a couple "others" tracking them would make him think michael was up to no good.
What's also interesting is that you could tell by the look on his face that Michael knew he was found out when he started firing the unloaded gun at Toucan Sam.If there was the slightest chance he'd turncoat back, it was gone after that.
I think that is why Michael just told them what he did so quickly. He knew that the jig was up with the Toucan Sam thing, so Jack broke him very easily.

Not sure, based on the climate I would say no, but I am not sure if they were in Russia or at the South Pole. I would think that either way they are probably close to one of the poles, thinking it might be easier to measure a magnetic anomoly that way?
Considering this flight was supposed to be from Australia to LA, southern pole is most likely answer between Russia or Southern Pole. Anywhere in the pacific oceon where an anamoly exists could work - who says it is one of the poles? If it is atlantis or an alien thing, it could be anywhere.
Just a guess that one of the poles would be a good area to track magnetic anomolies. I took a few Physics and Engineering courses at an Ivy League school (not the Big H like the prankmeister C), but unfortunately must have missed the best place to track a hidden island with weird EM pulses so that is just a guess.Seeing as the guys are from Portugal (sorry Hulk, I just assumed the thread was correct and this was from before the correction ;) ), and they were in a mighty cold location and the island is near Fiji, I think the South Pole or Antarctica is a pretty good guess.

Did you not notice the fact that there was only snow and ice in the outside shots and that it appeared cold? I just wanted to point that out since you didn't realize that Zeke and Ethan referred to someone else as the Other's leader before. ;) *

Just after the show ended, I posted this.

Just a guess that one of the poles would be a good area to track magnetic anomolies. I took a few Physics and Engineering courses at an Ivy League school (not the Big H like the prankmeister C), but unfortunately must have missed the best place to track a hidden island with weird EM pulses so that is just a guess.
Were you in a 3/2 Physics Engineering program with Cornell? I was in that same program for about a year until drugs ruined my brain and I had to settle for a computer science degree.

Just a guess that one of the poles would be a good area to track magnetic anomolies. I took a few Physics and Engineering courses at an Ivy League school (not the Big H like the prankmeister C), but unfortunately must have missed the best place to track a hidden island with weird EM pulses so that is just a guess.
Were you in a 3/2 Physics Engineering program with Cornell? I was in that same program for about a year until drugs ruined my brain and I had to settle for a computer science degree.
Nope, I was a Big Green, whatever the hell that means. Maybe you do since your college picked a just as good Big Red nickname. ;) Almost went to Cornell, even had a weekend visit there. I ended up with a Bachelor of Arts in CE and a Bachelor of Engineering in EE, so spent a lot of time in computer science classes.Not big into the drugs, more of a drinking man. Ended up in the hospital once and had to go to an Alcohol class due to the 2 strike rule. Fun class, the guy mentioned that you might have a problem if you have ever blacked out and I thought to myself that my normal blackout once a weekend might be bad. Oh well, it was college, I could get drunk on a 6-pack now.

Edit to Add: Just noticed that maybe you got confused by prankmeister C, I think his handle was Confucious. Entertaining thread.

Hah, Levin :own3d: again! ;)

Damn, that was a lot of pages to catch up on.

Although the season finale last night was entertaining, I was a bit disappointed in that I felt there were more new questions raised than answered. I mean, this whole conspiracy/experiment HAS to be more than some chick trying to get her man back, or said chick's papa trying to keep homey from stealing his little girl.

And the more weird things that make brief appearances (the giant forest "monster," polar bears, nano-smoke-cloud, the giant four-toed foot statue, etc.), the more I believe these are red-herrings to stimulate conversation and meaningless debate. It would be cool if someone could post a list of Lost "red-herrings" that have been unresolved to date.

All in all, the writers have a lot of people hooked, and I'm one of them. :bag:

WOW you guys can write. I am on page 165 and have a lot more to read. Man I hate when work gets in the way of the FFA. Especially the Lost thread.

I enjoyed last nights episode a lot.

I went to the library to see if I could get the book Bad Twin?

I reserved it but I am in a long line of people. I think I am 22nd in line. Hopefully I get it before season 3 starts.

Great ending to season 2, but now I can't wait for season 3. It is going to be a long summer.

I just wanted to add one thing. For everyone that thinks they are making up everything as they go, have you watched the extra dvd from season 1? I don't remember which part I was watching, but when they originally pitched the show, they had it planned out for 6 or 7 seasons. So, I really don't think they are making up everything as they go.

See ya in October in the Official Lost Season 3 thread!

Yup - I was actually looking at Locke at the beginning of the year like he had some answers - now he's just a big goofy question mark.

Eko is a WAY cooler character - a TRUE man of faith.
I like Eko quite a bit but I still think Locke is a great character. One of the strongest themes of this season was how Locke's true faith was put to the test and he was crushed. Everything he believed in was turned upside down and he lost all hope and all faith until he came to one significant conclusion:"I was wrong."

It's going to be very interesting to see where Locke goes from here. The island has built him up and then tore him back down again and now we need to see who emerges from the rubble.

My take - the season one writers were assigned to develop background stories for different characters. It was specifically mentioned that it was not a collaborative writing. So there's no way of knowing how much cohesion wwas in the overall plot.

Complete turnover in writers for season two. They're left with the job of trying to tie up the various loose ends that were scattered by season one writer. And the pieces don't all fit together neatly. There has been a decided change in story telling this year - a story that is more reasonably explainable.

Which is why the smoke creature has baely been seen this year. And why the big revelations about Walt's powers and Claire's baby's powers are seemingly being discarded. The parameters around story telling in season one were wide and season two is left thinking it's a success if they can explain 85% of the stuff.

read about 15 pages worth of the thread today after watching the finale this afternoon

GB shuke cap and levin - :lol:

im really interested in seeing what the others have been up to (backstories and such).. wonder how they will use the original losties (the others seem to know more then they do so it cant be for intel..)

oh ya.. Michael (Harold Perrineau will be reading the Top ten list on letterman in about 20 mins..)

Hah, Levin :own3d: again! ;)
:rolleyes: I'll take the wink eye as giving me shizzee.Serious question: physics guys - if there were an anomoly somewhere (like, say, in the middle of the pacific between Australia and LA), wouldn't a good place to track it be at one of the poles - are EM fields "drawn" to the poles? Would an anomoly somewhere in the pacific giving off a HUGE EM pulse (I assume that was the flash of white) register as a big bump at the poles and then potentially be traceable back to its source?

If there is truth to the rumor that the first 7 episodes will be focused on the others and what is going on with them...

...then, I know the reason they demanded Jack, Kate, and Sawyer.

They're the 3 most popular characters, and they want them to be in those 7 episodes.

To those of you arguing where the 2 portugese guys are...

I don't think they'll ever go into that. If they are monitoring EM fields, a pole does make sense. However, I honestly don't think we'll see those guys again, their point in the story was to give Desmond's honey the location, and they've already done that.

Also, something is clearly up with this island. Its near impossible to get to, and its near impossible to leave. Given this, I can't see how it will be just some island in the middle of the Pacific or Indian ocean. Its in another dimension, or through a wormhole to another planet, or something. Or, maybe it is on regular earth, and some yet unknown force keeps it hidden. Who knows?

But, bottom line is, if you wanted to find some mysterious island in the middle of the Pacific... the worst way to go about it would be to set up an EM monitoring station at the south pole.... why go to all that trouble when you can just look around with Google Earth for some islands, get a plane, and go looking for yourself.

All this talk about the 2 Portugese guy's monitoring for EM patterns and trying to find the island... my first reaction was that they probably found the signal from a transmitter or something that was on Desmond's boat. When the blast happened, I assumed this allowed them to pick up the signal for an instant. :shrug:

Great Season, cya in the Season 3 thread :banned:

All this talk about the 2 Portugese guy's monitoring for EM patterns and trying to find the island... my first reaction was that they probably found the signal from a transmitter or something that was on Desmond's boat. When the blast happened, I assumed this allowed them to pick up the signal for an instant. :shrug:

I don't think that they could track a transmitter from that far away. If they were, they would have been on an island in the South Pacific. Also, the screen on the computer says "Electromagnetic Anomoly Detected."

:rolleyes: I'll take the wink eye as giving me shizzee.

Serious question: physics guys - if there were an anomoly somewhere (like, say, in the middle of the pacific between Australia and LA), wouldn't a good place to track it be at one of the poles - are EM fields "drawn" to the poles? Would an anomoly somewhere in the pacific giving off a HUGE EM pulse (I assume that was the flash of white) register as a big bump at the poles and then potentially be traceable back to its source?
Yes, giving you the shizzee with a little shinizzle fo dizzle.Again, I hope Brewdude knows more about that and his post is accurate. I only took the Physics I needed for an Engineering degree, but I would definitely think that being at the Pole would allow you to measure the size and direction. As Hulk and Brewdude pointed out, I think that the pulse would end up caught by the EM field of the Earth and disperse at the poles. If they had any idea of the size to expect, they probably could measure the dispersion, etc. and estimate the position. Then again, they might be able to just spot the source when it happened. I am really just making an educated guess which could easily be wrong.

But then again, Hulk was right, if they found it, we will never see the monitoring station again. Maybe the guys will come back as part of Penny's team, but there is now nothing to monitor again.

I don't think that they could track a transmitter from that far away. If they were, they would have been on an island in the South Pacific. Also, the screen on the computer says "Electromagnetic Anomoly Detected."
Thanks, I didn't see that.

I thought this was taking place in 2004, before google earth existed :nerd: but seriously, isn't the island invisible? Isn't that why they have to look for the anomoly?

I thought this was taking place in 2004, before google earth existed :nerd: but seriously, isn't the island invisible? Isn't that why they have to look for the anomoly?
Yup. I'd think it gets them the proper heading to be on to get to the island...

All this talk about the 2 Portugese guy's monitoring for EM patterns and trying to find the island... my first reaction was that they probably found the signal from a transmitter or something that was on Desmond's boat.  When the blast happened, I assumed this allowed them to pick up the signal for an instant.  :shrug:

Great Season, cya in the Season 3 thread  :banned:
Thanks, I didn't see that.
No problem. Unfortunately, I remember things like that well. Important stuff like birthdays and anniversaries, not so much.

All this talk about the 2 Portugese guy's monitoring for EM patterns and trying to find the island... my first reaction was that they probably found the signal from a transmitter or something that was on Desmond's boat.  When the blast happened, I assumed this allowed them to pick up the signal for an instant.  :shrug:

Maybe I am one of the few, but I am actually looking forward to an outside the island/rescue point of view. I think Penny doing her research may actually show us a lot more about what the original Dharma Initiative was since we don't really if the Others are the original Dharma folks.

Maybe I am one of the few, but I am actually looking forward to an outside the island/rescue point of view. I think Penny doing her research may actually show us a lot more about what the original Dharma Initiative was since we don't really if the Others are the original Dharma folks.
Count me in.

Count me in.
:hifive: Not a big fan of that smilie, but damnit, I felt compelled to use it.

If there is truth to the rumor that the first 7 episodes will be focused on the others and what is going on with them...

...then, I know the reason they demanded Jack, Kate, and Sawyer.

They're the 3 most popular characters, and they want them to be in those 7 episodes.
definitely. i have to think that those first few epeisodies will be JSK among the Others. the Losties will be left to decide how to go on, with Sayid heading up the rescue effort. Desmond, Locke and Eko's survival is not a given but likely. Michael and Walt will return to the Losties and/or will be found adrift. Speaking of Michael...Not that it matters much but, given what we know about the island's location, the heading Henry Gale gave him (325, IIRC) puts the islands probably location where?

Desmond did not bury Kelvin, did he?  Are we sure Kelvin is dead?
Well, if he wasn't dead he probably would have tried to sail the boat away...
Just throwing a random idea out there....any chance Kelvin is HIM? It was almost spooky how he knew Desmond was following him. I did not see him being buried and his body was never found. I didn't get the impression those rocks were far from the hatch so the Losties have to have explored there at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread