What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MSNBC Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Starting around Jan. 2016 I started watching this crap gradually until it was on all day. I work from home so we're talking 8-10 hours with it on in the background while I went about my day. Then I'd catch the nighttime shows too, starting around the summer last year. So just around the clock, pounding into your head what a piece of #### our president is, how much damage is being done, the danger we're in, etc. All of which I believe is true, but it's pretty damn depressing to feel like you have to know each new terrible thing he says or does. Then coming in here to regurgitate it. It most definitely affected my mood and overall well-being.

We went to Mexico for 11 days last month, didn't follow any news down there, and when I got back I deleted all the shows from our DVR -- Morning Joe, Maddow, Meet the Press, even Colbert. I don't even check Twitter anymore. Eventually I'll go back in there but I'll have to unfollow about 80 accounts probably. Also deleted all the political podcasts. 

So I'm back to being uninformed like I was for a lot of the Obama years which isn't ideal either, but it's had a profoundly positive impact on my state of mind. Highly recommended. :thumbup:  
I'm glad you're doing better but it doesn't change how awful Trump is.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2018/03/30/msnbcs-joy-reid-leads-weekend-ratings-surge/#61bc8de035d2

MSNBC's Joy Reid Leads Weekend Ratings Surge

As the country heads into the Easter weekend, it's tempting to think of taking a break from the relentless pace of news flowing from the Trump White House, a chance to dial back, spend time with family, and relax. But one of the rules of political media that Trump has effectively re-written is the definition of the weekend, and even the holiday weekend: if Trump's on Twitter, the news is on.

In this non-stop cycle of story-reaction-Tweet-new story-reaction (repeat), cable networks that once filled weekends with taped shows and re-runs have found fertile ground to grow audiences--and nobody embodies the newly competitive world of weekend cable news than MSNBC's Joy Reid, whose AM Joy just finished the first quarter of 2018 with the highest quarterly ratings in 10 a.m. to noon time slot in MSNBC's history.

With an average total audience of 1.287 million, AM Joy easily outpaced CNN (838,000) for the quarter, the third straight with a total audience of more than a million viewers. Among viewers 25-54, the demographic coveted by advertisers, AM Joy took its first victory over CNN, with 265,000 viewers to CNN's 244,000.

MSNBC's strategy of extending breaking news--especially politics--to weekends, with live news until 9 p.m. on weekends, has begun to pay off. In February, according to data released by Nielsen, MSNBC's weekend ratings were up across the board compared to the same period the previous year--in some time slots way up. Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon saw a jump of 25 percent, while CNN and Fox News saw declines. The increase from 10 a.m. through 2 p.m. on Saturdays was even bigger: up 34 percent.

Could MSNBC be positioned to begin chipping away at longtime ratings leader Fox News by taking weekends? The network has reason to believe the same politics-heavy programming that has propelled weeknight prime time host Rachel Maddow to a back-and-forth battle for first place with Fox's Sean Hannity may be making a similar power player out of Reid. Last Saturday, as more than two million Americans joined the March for Our Lives in support of tighter gun control, MSNBC dominated live coverage, beating both CNN and Fox News.

[...]

:yes:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/381758-maddow-beats-out-hannity-to-be-most-watched-cable-news-host-in-march

Maddow beats out Hannity as most-watched cable news host in March

MSNBC's "The Rachel Maddow Show" scored the highest ratings in cable news in March, beating out Fox News's "Hannity."

Forbes reported Wednesday that Maddow's show came in with an average total audience of 3.058 million. The numbers mark the show's second best performance to date at the 9 p.m. hour.

Sean Hannity's show came in second, garnering an average total audience of 3 million viewers, Forbes reported. 

Maddow also topped in the number of viewers ages 25–54, the demographic most valued by advertisers, coming in with an average audience of 671,000 viewers. Hannity finished the month with an average of 616,000 viewers in the coveted category.

MSNBC is the only cable news network to have seen a year-over-year growth in ratings in the first quarter of 2018 compared to the first quarter of 2017. By comparison, both CNN and Fox News saw ratings decline in that period.

Lisa Feierman‏ @lisathefeierman Apr 4

The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell had a record-breaking quarter!

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/q1-2018-ratings-msnbc-posted-a-record-breaking-quarter/360851

“The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” at 10pm had a record-breaking quarter. The show posted its best A25-54 delivery ever (averaging 492,000) and beat CNN for the 4th quarter in a row. “The Last Word” increased +26% over 1Q17 (vs. FOX News’ -22% and CNN’s -12%). This quarter also marked the hour’s best total viewer delivery in the history of MSNBC, as “The Last Word” beat CNN for the 11th straight quarter and averaged 2,262,000, up +24% (vs. FOX News’ -12% and CNN’s -15%) over 1Q17.

Published on Monday, March 26, 2018

Common Dreams

Same Old Media Parade: Why Are Liberals Cheering?

Just as they did in the lead-up to the Iraq invasion, MSNBC and CNN now serve up a steady parade of war-hawks, spies and liars, presenting them as credible and almost heroic as long as they criticize the despicable man in the White House

by Jeff Cohen

When the “War on Terror” was launched in 2001, mainstream media—especially cable TV news—started a parade. It was a narrow parade of hawkish retired military and intelligence brass promoting war as the response to the crime of 9/11, predicting success and identifying foreign enemies to attack. 

We can look back at this parade and laugh at the total nonsense dispensed. But the more human response is to cry—over the toll, still mounting, of hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths from Afghanistan to Iraq and beyond, and violent instability across the region, including countries that were relatively stable and prosperous on Sept. 10, 2001. (Not to mention militarization and loss of civil liberties at home.)

I witnessed the parade of disinformation from inside cable news, where I worked as an on-air contributor at Fox News and MSNBC at the beginning of the War on Terror. In fact, this parade eventually knocked me off the air—and out of my job at MSNBC, three weeks before the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

It’s now the 15th anniversary of the tragic invasion of Iraq. The huge mainstream media failure in the run-up to the invasion is taught in college journalism courses, including mine.

Who can forget CNN’s Chief News Executive boasting that, before the Iraq invasion, he’d sought prior approval and received “a big thumbs up” from the Pentagon on the ex-generals that CNN featured as allegedly independent analysts?

Who can forget David Barstow’s 2008 Pulitzer Prize-winning expose for the New York Times—based on 8,000 pages of internal Pentagon emails and transcripts—showing that network TV’s  hawkish retired generals were not only being paid by big military contractors, but were being spoon-fed talking points and spin by the Pentagon month after month as they paraded on TV?

Who can forget that NBC/MSNBC’s top military analyst, ex-Gen. Barry McCaffrey, relentlessly pushed for war based on falsehoods—like warning of “thousands of gallons of mustard agents, sarin, nerve agent VX still in Iraq”; offered continuously ridiculous punditry (like praising Defense Secretary Rumsfeld’s advance-planning of the Iraq occupation); and famously crowed on MSNBC, “Thank God for the Abrams tank and the Bradley fighting vehicle”—without mentioning his role at military contractor IDT that made millions for doing God’s work on the Abrams and Bradley? 

Who can forget all these things?

MSNBC, apparently.

I turned on the “progressive” news channel a few nights ago to see Chris Hayes politely interviewing Gen. McCaffrey. Did Hayes—during the week marking the 15th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq—press McCaffrey on his role in that disaster? Perhaps demand an explanation or an apology? No. The topic was Trump’s weird attraction to Putin. That’s a worthy topic. But Barry McCaffrey as expert and arbiter! Still?

Just as they did in the lead-up to the Iraq invasion, MSNBC and CNN now serve up a steady parade of war-hawks, spies and liars, presenting them as credible and almost heroic as long as they criticize the despicable man in the White House.

I’d turned to MSNBC that night after disgustedly turning off Anderson Cooper softly interviewing a CNN contributor who seems to appear every hour: ex-National Intelligence Director James Clapper. You remember Clapper? Five years ago this month, Clapper infamously perjured himself before the U.S. Senate by denying NSA bulk surveillance. His perjury is not a topic that CNN asks Clapper about—while he discusses the lack of ethics and honesty in Team Trump.

When it comes to Trump critics, CNN and MSNBC regularly serve up a basket of elite deplorables from the military/intelligence establishment—for example, the appalling ex-CIA Director John Brennan and horrific former acting CIA Director John McLaughlin. The hollowness of their Trump critique on “liberal cable news” was on display last week when both men endorsed Trump’s choice for CIA chief, torture-overseer Gina Haspel.    

I’m worried about anti-Trump activists, even some quite progressive, who’ve come to see corporate news channels like CNN and MSNBC as their saviors. It’s a dangerous illusion. 

A few points to consider:

Not all foes of Trump are allies of progressives—especially the hawks, spooks and perjurers who parade across CNN and MSNBC every day.

Progressives should be wary of the growing alliance between Clintonite/MSNBC-style liberals and neo-con militarists forever in search of the next enemy—an alliance that began before the Trump campaign and will likely continue after Trump is deposed (hopefully soon).   

Trump is doing enormous damage to our country and the world—but you won’t see most of it on MSNBC or any mainstream outlet that covers the Trump White House as a TV soap opera.

When you hear nightly on CNN and MSNBC about Putin’s “attack on our democracy,” let’s not forget that—whatever impact Russia had on the 2016 election (evidence so far suggests it was small)—“our democracy” has been under attack for decades by internal enemies: big money control of both major parties, corporate media dominance, Democratic subservience to Wall Street, Republican suppression of voters of color and youth, an archaic election system protected by both parties, etc.

I would like to see even 10 percent of MSNBC’s “Russiagate” coverage diverted to any of the above issues, but I’m not holding my breath. Nor am I waiting for the Comcast-owned channel to offer thorough coverage of Trump’s biggest threat to the First Amendment: his FCC's attack on Net Neutrality.

All progressives should agree that an essential task is to end Republican control of Congress and depose Trump.

Yet the fight for justice and democracy will also require battles against powerful and oppressive institutions that may now seem to be anti-Trump: certain media conglomerates and the military-industrial-surveillance complex.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/03/26/same-old-media-parade-why-are-liberals-cheering

In retrospect, how ridiculous was the assertion just a few years ago that MSNBC was simply the FoxNews of the left?   
I don't think retrospect is necessary to understand the ridiculousness of that assertion at any point in time it was made, just the ability to think critically.

I don't think retrospect is necessary to understand the ridiculousness of that assertion at any point in time it was made, just the ability to think critically.
True.  But the past year, and especially today, should be the nail in that absurd assertion.  

True.  But the past year, and especially today, should be the nail in that absurd assertion.  
:shrug:  I gave up thinking there were limits to how much you could discount the critical thinking skills of many people in this country long ago.

:shrug:  I gave up thinking there were limits to how much you could discount the critical thinking skills of many people in this country long ago.
You are far wiser than I am.  Nov 8 2016 was a turning point for me.  I had far too much faith in by brothers and sisters on the right.  

In retrospect, how ridiculous was the assertion just a few years ago that MSNBC was simply the FoxNews of the left?   
I still think this is pretty accurate.  Al Sharpton still has a show there, right?  

On the other hand, Morning Joe is my go-to when I hit the treadmill in the morning.  So there's that.

I try to catch a combo of Hannity, maddow, hayes and little lou dobbs every night......

MSNBC is a far better "news" product.......Fox is a complete farce

I still think this is pretty accurate.  Al Sharpton still has a show there, right?  

On the other hand, Morning Joe is my go-to when I hit the treadmill in the morning.  So there's that.
Nicole Wallace and Hugh Hewitt both have shows on MSNBC....until Fox has something remotely close....it's not close.

One hour on Sundays, 3-4PM EST, very few people watch it (I have never taken time to see it).

I think tommy's point was that MSNBC doesn't have a prominent host who is an active advisor to a sitting president, who also happened to have a professional relationship with the president's lawyer (who is under federal investigation), which he neglected to disclose to viewers, even as he was discussing and promoting both people on a nightly basis.

But yeah, they sure do have a bunch of liberals on that network. But we no longer live in a world where "political lean" is the defining characteristic of a media outlet.

I think tommy's point was that MSNBC doesn't have a prominent host who is an active advisor to a sitting president, who also happened to have a professional relationship with the president's lawyer (who is under federal investigation), which he neglected to disclose to viewers, even as he was discussing and promoting both people on a nightly basis.

But yeah, they sure do have a bunch of liberals on that network. But we no longer live in a world where "political lean" is the defining characteristic of a media outlet.
Of course it defines their Network.  Their left-leaning news filter effects the end product more than any other.  

MSNBC is defined by its left-leaning filter.

FoxNews is defined by its sexual harassment scandals, its advertising boycotts, and its failures to disclose major conflicts of interest.

From the perspective of mainstream America, FoxNews is no longer defined as just "the right leaning news network" anymore.

MSNBC‏ @MSNBC 44m44 minutes ago

James Comey has broken his silence to tell his side of the story.

But there’s more to know.

Watch Rachel @Maddow’s interview with the former FBI Director at 9 pm ET @MSNBC.

Ed Shultz went off the deep end and did a 180 from his former progressive/liberal views and has been penning articles for Russia Today. Seems he is a mercenary who will support the viewpoint of whoever pays him the most. Very disappointing as he seemed a champion of the working class and unions.

And his shows had a different flavor than the rest of the MSNBC lineup and he covered things Rachel, Matthews, Hayes and O'Donnell didn't, so I doubt his account that what he did or did not cover was entirely dictated to him - he did seem to have a lot of leeway.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
They fired him because his ratings were bad. His ratings were bad because he spent half a year claiming that the TransPacific Partnership was a global conspiracy. Alex Jones of the left. 
That may be the case.  It still doesn't offer any good explanation as to why MSNBC would shoot down a piece on Sanders' presidential announcement- now the most popular politician in the country, who absolutely warrants coverage on a purportedly liberal network- when it was already completed and a relevant news item.  I'm having a hard time figuring how it was anything other than the network being in the tank for someone else.  

Larry King is a self important, entitled #######.

I know this from personal interaction. 
I don't doubt that.  But he's no krembot either, which was my point.  I don't care if a broadcaster is on RT, Al Jazeera, Telesur, BBC, FOX or CNBC.  I care about the substance of their opinion, regardless of the network that allows them to air it.  The reason these people often end up on RT is because RT is the only network that will allow them to express their point of view. 

Users who are viewing this thread