What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MSNBC Thread*** (1 Viewer)

MSNBC’s Joy Reid Claims Her Website Was Hacked and Bigoted Anti-LGBT Content Added, a Bizarre Story Liberal Outlets Ignore

Joe Bernstein‏ @Bernstein

The Internet Archive just posted a blog challenging claims by Joy Reid that hackers framed her as homophobic by altering Wayback Machine archives of her old blog

@JoyAnnReid told @Mediaite yesterday that an “external actor” added homophobic posts to her now-defunct blog. Today, the Internet Archive said that it found “nothing to indicate” that its Wayback Machine had been tampered with. My story:

I'm told a statement from @nbc about @JoyAnnReid is forthcoming

Her claim is pretty ridiculous. She should have pulled a Sean Hannity and claimed that her prior homophobia was just an act to get ratings.

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Joy Reid. 

She’s a hack for sure. 
Yes, I am sure you have been a big fan of hers and never missed her weekend show before you lost "a lot of respect"

These old posts are in no way consistent with any of her views I have seen since she has been on MSNBC (which goes back at least 3-4 years). She has guested hosted Rachel Maddow's show a dozen times, which MSNBC never would have green lit if there was any indication that she was a homophobe.

She has been a staunch supporter of LGBT causes and regularly has had guests on her show who are gay, lesbian and transgender. From what I can tell she has always been liberal and progressive in her views, not mercenary like Ed Schultz who seems to tailor his viewpoint to whoever is paying him and rightfully could be labeled a hack or pen for hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am sure you have been a big fan of hers and never missed her weekend show before you lost "a lot of respect"

These old posts are in no way consistent with any of her views I have seen since she has been on MSNBC (which goes back at least 3-4 years). She has guested hosted Rachel Maddow's show a dozen times, which MSNBC never would have green lit if there was any indication that she was a homophobe.

She has been a staunch supporter of LGBT causes and regularly has had guests on her show who are gay, lesbian and transgender. From what I can tell she has always been liberal and progressive in her views, not mercenary like Ed Schultz who seems to tailor his viewpoint to whoever is paying him and rightfully could be labeled a hack or pen for hire.
She’s a fraud, dude. 

And yes, I’ve watched her more than I care to admit. 

I don't think the story is so much that she is homophobic, although her past statements are beyond gross.  The story is that she has now entangled herself in an absurd lie.  

Yes it happened, but it’s Schultz’s conjecture that the Hillary campaign ordered MSNBC to stand down. Where’s the connection to reality there?
C’mon man - don’t you know that HRC sits around petting her hairless cat making programming decisions for low rated MSNBC shows all day?  

Sounds great, but what can we discuss?

You just pointed fingers, acknowledged nothing and bowed out gracefully.  
Ed Shultz was ####### awful - did you ever watch his show?  Zero credibility.  Yet now because he’s blaming HRC you guys are buying into this non-sensical conspiracy theory? 

C’mon Cav.  You’re a super smart guy.  Ed Shultz isn’t a hill to die on.   

Eugene Gu, MD‏Verified account @eugenegu 13h13 hours ago

Digging up Joy Reid’s tweets from a decade ago in the attempt to destroy her reeks of a witch hunt. She apologized for her past remarks and uses her platform now to advance equal rights for the LGBTQ. In fact, those attacking her like Dana Loesch are homophobic every single day.

Eugene Gu, MD‏Verified account @eugenegu 13h13 hours ago

Digging up Joy Reid’s tweets from a decade ago in the attempt to destroy her reeks of a witch hunt. She apologized for her past remarks and uses her platform now to advance equal rights for the LGBTQ. In fact, those attacking her like Dana Loesch are homophobic every single day.
Has she apologized for spreading false info in the Starbucks thing yet?

I hope she gets #### canned. 

How is that false? She’s linked to a witness who claims that they were never asked to leave. What did Joy lie about? 
The tweet states it as a fact, not that according to one witness who did not hear anyone ask them to leave.  It is false in that according to both the police and store employees they were asked to leave.  The tweet over represented the information and the information is in conflict with multiple alternative sources who would know better than some by-stander who may or may not have heard everything.   Her reporting stunk.  

The tweet states it as a fact, not that according to one witness who did not hear anyone ask them to leave.  It is false in that according to both the police and store employees they were asked to leave.  The tweet over represented the information and the information is in conflict with multiple alternative sources who would know better than some by-stander who may or may not have heard everything.   Her reporting stunk.  
Actually it doesn't. She is quoting the witness. Since she wasn't there herself she can't state it as a fact. She is saying she believes the witness.

Hey but it helped her to rile up a bunch of people and get ratings. 

It’s the exact same playbook Sean Hannity uses.

Actually it doesn't. She is quoting the witness. Since she wasn't there herself she can't state it as a fact. She is saying she believes the witness.
There we no quotes in this tweet:

-That’s for the geniuses in my mentions huffing that the men should have simply left when asked. They weren’t asked. The manager simply called the cops....

She is stating it as fact.  

That comment confirms what I suspected. You have never been a fan of Joy Reid despite claiming to have lost respect for her. I doubt you ever had an ounce of respect to begin with.

That comment confirms what I suspected. You have never been a fan of Joy Reid despite claiming to have lost respect for her. I doubt you ever had an ounce of respect to begin with.
I am a regular msnbc watcher. 

She sucks as a fill in for Rachel too. 

There we no quotes in this tweet:

-That’s for the geniuses in my mentions huffing that the men should have simply left when asked. They weren’t asked. The manager simply called the cops....

She is stating it as fact.  
Yes, there were, in the prior one in the thread it was connected to (context is everything jonny)

Joy Reid‏Verified account @JoyAnnReid Apr 14

“...another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything...another person in the restaurant...announced she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."

Yes, there were, in the prior one in the thread it was connected to (context is everything jonny)

Joy Reid‏Verified account @JoyAnnReid Apr 14

“...another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything...another person in the restaurant...announced she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything."
You are amazing.  You are condescending and mocking when you either have no clue or are in incredible denial.   Either way it is a horrible combination.  

PFLAG is clearly not believing Reid at all

most notably from the LGBTQ advocacy organization PFLAG National, which rescinded its Straight for Equality in Media award from Reid on Tuesday.

“When we extended our invitation to Ms. Reid to honor her at our 45th anniversary celebration, we did so knowing about the blog posts from the late 2000s regarding Charlie Crist,” PFLAG National President Jean Hodges said in a statement. “We appreciated how she stepped up, took ownership, apologized for them, and did better — this is the behavior and approach we ask of any ally. However, in light of new information, and the ongoing investigation of that information, we must at this time rescind our award to Ms. Reid.”

You are amazing.  You are condescending and mocking when you either have no clue or are in incredible denial.   Either way it is a horrible combination.  
What is amazing if that you complain and play the victim card about people making personal attacks against you - which I didn't do here, I have just been pointing that you are wrong about what you claim Reid said (with the quote to prove it).

Yet once again you use that to personally attack me.

What is amazing if that you complain and play the victim card about people making personal attacks against you - which I didn't do here, I have just been pointing that you are wrong about what you claim Reid said (with the quote to prove it).

What does what you quoted have anything to do with whether they were asked to leave?

She flat out put something wrong out there, verified by multiple sources. 

No apology for it that I know of either. 

If she had reported this on air and represented it as fact I would have no trouble agreeing with you. 

But first off it was a tweet: how does that help her get ratings? Second the tweet clearly states that this is what the witness says, it was never represented as fact. It hasn’t been shown to be a lie either. So I have to take issue with your conclusions. 

You continually call me 'jonny'.  I am not your child.   And you seem to lack anbasic understanding of the word context.  The proximity of that quote does not cover up the fact that she in no way caveted her statement. 

She flat out put something wrong out there, verified by multiple sources
Now you’re guilty of exactly what you accuse Joy Reid of (incorrectly). Those multiple sources didn’t verify anything. There’s absolutely no reason to believe them over the witness that Reid linked; less in fact since they have skin in the game. Yet you use their questionable assertions to assert that Reid is a liar and should apologize. If you were spouting this nonsense on TV rather than here, you would be the one obligated to apologize. 

If she had reported this on air and represented it as fact I would have no trouble agreeing with you. 

But first off it was a tweet: how does that help her get ratings? Second the tweet clearly states that this is what the witness says, it was never represented as fact. It hasn’t been shown to be a lie either. So I have to take issue with your conclusions. 
I will readily admit that while I am a regular viewer of msnbc and see Joy Reid often on there that I have not seen every bit of reporting she has done on the Starbucks incident. Have you?

Her tweeting about it does however give my an idea of how she reported it. 

I will readily admit that while I am a regular viewer of msnbc and see Joy Reid often on there that I have not seen every bit of reporting she has done on the Starbucks incident. Have you?

Her tweeting about it does however give my an idea of how she reported it. 
I have no idea either. But I do watch Joy Reid and I know that while she likes to offer her opinion, she is careful to note that it is her opinion and she never, to the best of my knowledge offers opinion as fact- she is the exact opposite of Hannity in that regard. Your link of her tweet in no way contradicts this. 

This is a legit complaint now? Damn practically everybody here has called me timmy. I bet you have as well. 
It is from someone who hits the report button for less, makes false accusations, is a condescending know-nothing.  I try to avoid him, but he constantly trolls.  Cutesy nicknames can be fun, but not from a hateful little troll.   

It is from someone who hits the report button for less, makes false accusations, is a condescending know-nothing.  I try to avoid him, but he constantly trolls.  Cutesy nicknames can be fun, but not from a hateful little troll.   
He’s Timmy’s boy , he will always be by his side

The homophobic stuff from Reid is bad, but the coverup makes it worse. A lot of us, even us lefties, have said stuff 10+ years ago that would be viewed as problematic today. We've changed with society, just own that. Instead, we get this absurd story about hackers infiltrating the Wayback Machine and internet archives - something they've refuted - and she refuses to take responsibility at all. That hurts her credibility a lot more than the archived blog posts, IMO. 

I guess my understanding of what a troll is may be outdated. I’ve made it pretty clear that I don’t approve of everything squistion does (particularly the reporting) but he’s not a troll IMO. He offers serious opinions and information on issues. When challenged or asked questions, he responds. He doesn’t just make pronouncements and leaves; he’s takes part in the discussion. To me that’s the opposite of trolling. 

HellToupee trolls squistion all the time, one need only read HT’s posts to see what a true troll is all about. But HT is so blatantly obvious about it that I don’t see the harm; besides I think he’s good people. 

You continually call me 'jonny'.  I am not your child.   And you seem to lack anbasic understanding of the word context.  The proximity of that quote does not cover up the fact that she in no way caveted her statement. 
I would certainly hope not.

Haven't you called Tim, timmy like I and others here have numerous times? Seems to me you have.

And what the hell does caveted mean?

And what she quoted was part of a tweet thread she started and was linked to her next tweet you claim was stating a fact (which it wasn't).

Context is looking at everything she said in that thread, not cherry picking one tweet out of it.

I guess my understanding of what a troll is may be outdated. I’ve made it pretty clear that I don’t approve of everything squistion does (particularly the reporting) but he’s not a troll IMO. He offers serious opinions and information on issues. When challenged or asked questions, he responds. He doesn’t just make pronouncements and leaves; he’s takes part in the discussion. To me that’s the opposite of trolling. 

HellToupee trolls squistion all the time, one need only read HT’s posts to see what a true troll is all about. But HT is so blatantly obvious about it that I don’t see the harm; besides I think he’s good people. 
Do I really need to repost the last 50 posts Squistion has made towards me?  

Katherine Krueger‏ @kath_krueger 4h4 hours ago

boy oh boy, if i were as inclined to draw a direct line between a person’s worst followers and them as Joy Reid has been with Bernie, i sure would have a lot to say based on the emails i’ve gotten from her fans in the last 12 hrs!

Support from her colleagues starting to come in. I am sure there will be lot more.

Jeffrey Toobin‏Verified account @JeffreyToobin 12h12 hours ago

.@JoyAnnReid is an important and valuable voice, and I support her.

Tamron Hall‏Verified account @tamronhall 2h2 hours ago

My #WCW is @joyannreid - I’m so proud to call her my friend. I might make you my forever #WCW

She needs to admit that she lied about her site being retroactively hacked.

edit: actually I shouldn't assume that she's lying. It could be that she honestly doesn't remember writing homophobic things 10 years ago, so she therefore assumed that someone hacked the site. Either way, it's pretty much proven that the site wasn't hacked and she should acknowledge that fact.

You can have respect for someone without being a fan of them.  For example I respect Tim even though I'm not a fan at all of his CNN tier opinions.  But if he tried to blame time travelling hackers for some crazy #### he said 10 years ago as Joy Ann Reid has, rather than just owning it and moving on like an honest normal person would, I'd lose respect for him too.  

Users who are viewing this thread