What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MSNBC Thread*** (1 Viewer)

There's nothing wrong with saying "My views have evolved." The problem here is that Joy Reid IS NOT SAYING THAT.

She's accusing magical hackers of infiltrating 3rd party websites.
She was saying that about her earlier tweets about Charlie Crist, which people are still bringing up.

Ya Hannity has gotten away with a multitude of things he should have gotten canned for. If he goes to prison that just might be the final straw for Fox. 

andy lassner‏ @andylassner 3h

I don’t know if Joy Reid is telling the truth or not.

Here’s my truth.

I grew up being taught in school that being gay was wrong.

I was told people chose to be gay.

I used gay slurs with my friends.

And then I learned the truth.

I evolved.

I changed.

Now I produce Ellen.

https://twitter.com/andylassner/status/989861781303541761
That's great. Now tell Joy Reid to stop lying about it.

(Cross posted in LGBT thread)

MSNBC‏ @MSNBC 35m35 minutes ago

.@MSNBC's Joy Reid addresses homophobic blog posts:

"I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things ... But I can definitely understand, based on things I have tweeted and have written in the past, why some people don't believe me."

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/990232457822851078

Scott Dworkin‏Verified account @funder 36m36 minutes ago

“The reality is, I have to own the things that I’ve written and tweeted and said. And I’m hoping out of all of this, there’s an opportunity to talk about the ways in which hateful speech really does imperil marganalized communities.” Joy Reid #AMJoy #ImWithJoy

"The person I am now is not the person I was then. I like to think I have gotten better as a person overtime. That I am still growing. That I'm not the same person I was 10 or 5 or even 1 year ago." Joy Reid #AMJoy #Reiders #IStandWithJoy

Last edited by a moderator:

"I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things ... 
Yeah I got a real problem with this. 

Innocent people don’t say careful stuff like “I genuinely do not believe I did that”; they say “hell no I didn’t do that.” Personally I would remember if I wrote hateful things for others to read. And this is a woman with a very good memory. Plus she tried to blame she was hacked and per her attorney involved the FBI. 

I’m tremendously disappointed because I really liked her. But she needs to be fired. 

Scott Dworkin‏ @funder 18m18 minutes ago

Thank you to Joy Reid for stepping up and apologizing. And carrying on a conversation we really need to have. To see her humility and honesty come forward and confront this head on, is a teaching moment for everybody. #IStandWithJoy, and I hope you do too. #AMJoy #Reiders

Thank you to Joy Reid for stepping up and apologizing. And carrying on a conversation we really need to have. To see her humility and honesty come forward and confront this head on, is a teaching moment for everybody. #IStandWithJoy, and I hope you do too. #AMJoy #Reiders
She didn’t really apologize and she’s not showing honesty. 

Keith Boykin‏Verified account @keithboykin 51m

Jonathan Capehart to Joy Reid:

“Joy, when this happened I was hurt...The Joy I know is someone who stands by me personally, stands by me and my husband, stands by me and my community.” #AMJoy

Chris Witherspoon‏Verified account @WitherspoonC 59m59 minutes ago

Here’s a personal anecdote/fact: 7 years ago after knowing me for 1 week my former boss @JoyAnnReid threw me a baby shower at NBC after I told her I was a gay man expecting a child with my lesbian best friend. #whyweneedjoy #AMJoy

I don't see the words "sorry" or "apologize" anywhere in her statement.

(Cross posted in LGBT thread)

MSNBC‏ @MSNBC 35m35 minutes ago

"I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things ... But I can definitely understand, based on things I have tweeted and have written in the past, why some people don't believe me."

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/990232457822851078

Scott Dworkin‏Verified account @funder 36m36 minutes ago

“The reality is, I have to own the things that I’ve written and tweeted and said. And I’m hoping out of all of this, there’s an opportunity to talk about the ways in which hateful speech really does imperil marganalized communities.” Joy Reid #AMJoy #ImWithJoy

"The person I am now is not the person I was then. I like to think I have gotten better as a person overtime. That I am still growing. That I'm not the same person I was 10 or 5 or even 1 year ago." Joy Reid #AMJoy #Reiders #IStandWithJoy
:lmao:

wat

this is too funny 

There's nothing wrong with saying "My views have evolved." The problem here is that Joy Reid IS NOT SAYING THAT.

She's accusing magical hackers of infiltrating 3rd party websites.
Totally agree with this. She should have just owned it and explained her views have evolved like a lot of people 

“Joy, when this happened I was hurt...The Joy I know is someone who stands by me personally, stands by me and my husband, stands by me and my community.” #AMJoy

Here’s a personal anecdote/fact: 7 years ago after knowing me for 1 week my former boss @JoyAnnReid threw me a baby shower at NBC after I told her I was a gay man expecting a child with my lesbian best friend. #whyweneedjoy #AMJoy
squistion these tweets are meaningless. I’m quite sure she’s no longer homophobic. I’m sure she’s changed for the better. That’s not the problem. 

The problem is that when her previous comments were revealed, rather than take ownership she denied them and blamed hacking and got the FBI involved. And she’s still being dishonest about the whole thing. 

squistion these tweets are meaningless. I’m quite sure she’s no longer homophobic. I’m sure she’s changed for the better. That’s not the problem. 

The problem is that when her previous comments were revealed, rather than take ownership she denied them and blamed hacking and got the FBI involved. And she’s still being dishonest about the whole thing. 
The problem with her denying it gives people pause that she’s lying about her current views and they haven’t really changed. If she owned this it would’ve gone away . Now she has the fat shaming and Muslim stuff out there too

The problem with her denying it gives people pause that she’s lying about her current views and they haven’t really changed. If she owned this it would’ve gone away . Now she has the fat shaming and Muslim stuff out there too
What’s the Muslim stuff? I’ve missed this. 

She’s the worst msnbc has to offer. By far. 

Did you watch her statement? 

I did not. I read the quote “I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things.” That was enough. If she didn’t write those things, she would know it. 
From NBC news, video of her statement:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/msnbc-s-joy-reid-says-no-proof-blog-hacking-found-n869771

MSNBC's Joy Reid says no proof of blog hacking found

MSNBC host Joy Reid said on Saturday that she has no proof her now-defunct blog was hacked to include homophobic posts recently surfaced by an anonymous Twitter user, and she again apologized for views she'd expressed in the past.

"I genuinely do not believe I wrote those hateful things because they are completely alien to me," Reid said in an on-air monologue on her show "AM Joy" on Saturday. "But I can definitely understand based on things I have tweeted and have written in the past why some people don't believe me. I have not been exempt from being dumb or cruel or hurtful to the very people I want to advocate for. I own that. I get it."

Earlier this month, Twitter user @Jamie_Maz, whose identity is not publicly known, published several screenshots purported to have been acquired through the Internet Archive of Reid's one-time blog, Reid Report. Reid apologized in December for "insensitive" blog posts from roughly a decade prior.

In the newly exposed posts, Reid appears to defend homophobic comments made by former NBA player Tim Hardaway and a U.S. Marine general, among other discussions of homosexuality.

Reid didn't apologize for the posts at the time, asserting that they are not her words.

In a statement earlier this week, Reid said an unknown, external party accessed and manipulated material from her blog to "include offensive and hateful references that are fabricated and run counter to my personal beliefs and ideology."

"Frankly, I couldn't imagine where they'd come from or whose voice that was," Reid said Saturday.

Reid, who joined MSNBC in 2014, says she hired cybersecurity experts to see if somebody had manipulated her words or her former blog. "The reality is they have not been able to prove it," she said.

Earlier this week, Reid's attorney said they have received confirmation the FBI has opened an investigation into potential criminal activities surrounding several online accounts, including personal email and blog accounts, belonging to Joy Reid.

It is alleged the Twitter user who exposed the new blog posts was able to find them through the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, a service that tracks, collects and stores old web pages.

The Internet Archive said in a statement they have reviewed their archives and "found nothing to indicate tampering or hacking of the Wayback Machine versions" of the blog. They say they have declined to take down the archives as per request from Reid's lawyers.

Reid’s blog posts were written before she joined NBC News in 2011

Thank you squistion. I am not satisfied. Her words now don’t change the fact that rather than take responsibility she insisted she had been hacked and tried to involve the FBI. Claiming she “genuinely believes” is simply not plausible IMO; again she should know one way or the other. I think she reacted by lying about this and only when she was caught in the lie she comes up with this nonsense about “genuinely believes”. Sorry but I would fire her. I genuinely like her and if she remains contrite maybe she can return at some point ala Brian Williams. I forgive pretty easily. But not now. 

@davidsirota 

Left unsaid in the Joy Reid crap: when high-profile media folk appear to blatantly lie & then their media buddies publicly defend them, it fuels overall distrust of media, which makes it harder for honest workaday journalists to be viewed as credible, do their jobs & have impact.

This is a legit complaint now? Damn practically everybody here has called me timmy. I bet you have as well. 
I imagine if you called him jonny it wouldnt have bothered him one bit. I think perhaps the fact that the person calling him that reports people for calling Kaepernick names or if he gets called a variation of his username might have something to do with it. 

I for one love to hear Jonathan Capeheart's opinion when we are discussing issues of journalistic integrity. I know Bernie Sanders sure agrees with me.

I don't understand how public figures still don't understand that "I was hacked" or "I don't remember doing that" don't work. At all. Not even a little. It just prolongs the agony and keeps you trending.

"I wrote/did/said some really stupid things and/or sent pictures of my dong, but hopefully my actions since then have shown that I've matured." Bam, story over.

I think most people realize we've all done or said dumb things that don't actually reflect our current values and tend to forgive pretty quickly if people just own it right away, assuming it's not white power salutes or something severe.

I imagine if you called him jonny it wouldnt have bothered him one bit. I think perhaps the fact that the person calling him that reports people for calling Kaepernick names or if he gets called a variation of his username might have something to do with it. 
That isn't true. While I have complained in this forum about Kaep nicknames or of using insulting variations of my user name, I have never once reported anyone for that. (cue the usual suspects with rolling smiley).

That isn't true. While I have complained in this forum about Kaep nicknames or of using insulting variations of my user name, I have never once reported anyone for that. (cue the usual suspects with rolling smiley).
I thought I remembered Joe scolding people for calling you squissy, didnt think he would do that without it being reported. I stand corrected.

Eric Holder‏ @EricHolder 4h

Joy Ann Reid apology. Appropriate. Heartfelt. This unique and compelling voice for tolerance and equality should not be silenced. We learn - and change - from our mistakes. She has.

It seems she did apologize for people not believing her.   Not sure how one would know an apology is heartfelt by a written column.  She could have been laughing while typing. 

Is this idiot gonna reimburse the tax payers for apparently filing some sort of false report and wasting investigative resources?   NBC News has zero cred at this point 

It seems she did apologize for people not believing her.   Not sure how one would know an apology is heartfelt by a written column.  She could have been laughing while typing. 
She apologized on the air this morning. Link is above to clip from MSNBC.

Unlike Tim, I do believe that Reid could have looked at those old blog posts and thought to herself, “I really don’t remember writing those homophobic things. I remember writing other homophobic things, but not those specific passages. Those don’t sound like me.” And maybe she entertained the possibility that a hacker put them there.

Probably not. She was probably lying. But it’s possible that she was merely mistaken.

Either way, though, she needs to honestly confront the evidence and admit that even if she doesn’t remember writing those things, by far the most likely possibility is that she did write them. The hacking story is wildly implausible. Especially because (a) she wasn’t famous at the time, and (b) those views weren’t all that uncommon at the time. So a hacker would have had to hack the blog of a non-famous person to add comments that would not become scandalously offensive until years later. What would have been the point?

It’s not really that big a deal that she was a homophobe over a decade ago. Big whoop. But the ridiculous hacking story is a big deal. It’s a bizarre spectacle that reflects very poorly on her as a journalist.

More to the point, those were probably her true thoughts on gays.  I consider the virtue signaling that followed cover for her market.  

Character is what you do when you think no one is watching.  

You know, sometimes I don't give reporters at CNN/NBC/NYT/WaPo etc. enough credit.  But I want to, if only to put in perspective what a mockery of basic integrity in journalism this is.  

Users who are viewing this thread