What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MSNBC Thread*** (1 Viewer)

David Sirota @davidsirota 4h4 hours ago

Reminder that there is no form of solidarity more powerful than the solidarity between cable TV hosts and media pundits aiming to be booked on their shows.

She needs to admit that she lied about her site being retroactively hacked.

edit: actually I shouldn't assume that she's lying. It could be that she honestly doesn't remember writing homophobic things 10 years ago, so she therefore assumed that someone hacked the site. Either way, it's pretty much proven that the site wasn't hacked and she should acknowledge that fact.
There are a ton of good people they could replace her with and she’d be quickly forgotten and they wouldn’t miss a beat. 

There are a ton of good people they could replace her with and she’d be quickly forgotten and they wouldn’t miss a beat. 
No, she has developed quite a following with the AMJoy shows which has gotten huge unexpected ratings for a timeslot that MSNBC had trouble getting much interest in before (see Steve Kornacki and Melissa Harris Perry among others). She is the preferred guest host (at least according to social media) over Melber, Velshy or Kornacki and I don't see anyone they could replace her with on the weekends that would draw as a big an audience (with the possible exception of Katy Tur, who some here have already expressed an objection to.)

She isn't going anywhere. MSNBC hired Brian "I was under enemy fire" Williams for an evening news show, for crying out loud, doubt that some controversy over decade old tweets will sink her with that network.

Right, but Brian Williams apologized AND paid a penance by being fired from the Nightly News and being suspended from all NBC networks for 6 months.

Right, but Brian Williams apologized AND paid a penance by being fired from the Nightly News and being suspended from all NBC networks for 6 months.
Well, it wasn't much of an apology as while he admitted he said “things that weren't true,” he claimed he wasn't lying but had become egotistical about his experiences and gotten “mixed up” when he spoke of them.

As much as I love MSNBC, going there after heading the NBC nightly news is a demotion or a step down. And his reputation has yet to recover from this scandal (although I think it will eventually).

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joy-reids-lawyer-fbi-investigating-hack?via=twitter_page

Joy Reid’s Lawyer: FBI Now Investigating Alleged ‘Hack’

MSNBC weekend host Joy Reid’s lawyer claimed Wednesday evening that the FBI has opened a probe into her claim that her old blog was hacked to make her appear homophobic. “We have received confirmation the FBI has opened an investigation into potential criminal activities surrounding several online accounts, including personal email and blog accounts, belonging to Joy-Ann Reid,” her lawyer, John H. Reichman, said in a statement to The Daily Beast. “Our own investigation and monitoring of the situation will continue in parallel, and we are cooperating with law enforcement as their investigation proceeds.” The statement was passed along by MSNBC, who on Wednesday told Politicothat Reid will remain on-air as her claims are investigated.

I really like Joy Reid. I would be terribly disappointed if she really was once, or is now, homophobic. I’m rooting for that not to be true. 

timschochet said:
I really like Joy Reid. I would be terribly disappointed if she really was once, or is now, homophobic. I’m rooting for that not to be true. 
Well if they prove that she was hacked, I’d say this would be a new low for the right. She still ought to change the way she covers certain things regardless. 

Laurence Tribe‏ @tribelaw 3h3 hours ago

I’m in her corner. @JoyAnnReid is a national treasure. Fake “news” must not be allowed to tarnish, let alone ruin, her well-earned reputation.

To be clear, I’m confident @JoyAnnReid is no homophobe. I don’t mean to say that I’ve personally researched all her prior statements. If my reference to “fake news” is taken to suggest that I have, I’m sorry — but I remain an admirer of and believer in her decency and integrity.

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/989487094513983488

Laurence Tribe‏ @tribelaw 3h3 hours ago

I’m in her corner. @JoyAnnReid is a national treasure. Fake “news” must not be allowed to tarnish, let alone ruin, her well-earned reputation.

To be clear, I’m confident @JoyAnnReid is no homophobe. I don’t mean to say that I’ve personally researched all her prior statements. If my reference to “fake news” is taken to suggest that I have, I’m sorry — but I remain an admirer of and believer in her decency and integrity.

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/989487094513983488
I know you don't have any credibility anyways, but it's quite a spectacle to watch you defend her.

Joan Walsh‏ @joanwalsh 23h23 hours ago

1) So: Many people know I am close friends with @JoyAnnReid. Few of you know I was the first person to publish her, roughly 18 years ago. We didn't meet for at least a dozen years.

2) At Salon, I kept track of her work and read her blog, "The Reid Report," after that. In 2008, when we started our blogging platform "Open Salon," we asked our favorite contributors who had blogs to cross post with us. Joy did so and was immediately a huge hit.

3) Our editors monitored "The Reid Report" to see if she posted anything we wanted; sometimes we'd nudge her to cross-post, and she did.

4) Obviously, none of us ever saw the kinds of homophobic posts she's now accused of. If we had, we'd have stopped publishing her.

5) Interestingly, no one has come forward and said that they read any of this garbage in real time: "Oh hey, that Joy Reid was a real nightmare, can't believe she got published."

6) Also, to my knowledge, the offensive posts had no comments on them, while the posts she acknowledges had some lively comments debates.

7) Now, can I claim I read every word she posted? Of course not. But I did read it enough to know that she did not regularly reflect the attitudes she's accused of here.

8) Maybe most important, I write this to say: I've followed Joy's writing for @17 years. She did not appear out of nowhere, to me, and wind up with a television show. Some of her critics imply that. Which only shows their own isolation

9) Because let's be honest, too often a great black writer seems to appear out of nowhere. Sometimes that makes them vulnerable to criticism; sometimes it makes them just magical. Those of us who followed the politics of race, class and gender more than a decade ago know Joy Reid

10) Again, I cannot say with certainty none of these posts she's disavowed appeared on her blog way back when. I can just say: I've been reading her for 17 years. And I don't believe they did. Thanks for reading.

https://twitter.com/joanwalsh/status/989229307766730752

They need to run the offensive blog posts through one of those linguistic style programs to determine if she wrote them. 

Joan Walsh‏ @joanwalsh 23h23 hours ago

1) So: Many people know I am close friends with @JoyAnnReid. Few of you know I was the first person to publish her, roughly 18 years ago. We didn't meet for at least a dozen years.

2) At Salon, I kept track of her work and read her blog, "The Reid Report," after that. In 2008, when we started our blogging platform "Open Salon," we asked our favorite contributors who had blogs to cross post with us. Joy did so and was immediately a huge hit.

3) Our editors monitored "The Reid Report" to see if she posted anything we wanted; sometimes we'd nudge her to cross-post, and she did.

4) Obviously, none of us ever saw the kinds of homophobic posts she's now accused of. If we had, we'd have stopped publishing her.

5) Interestingly, no one has come forward and said that they read any of this garbage in real time: "Oh hey, that Joy Reid was a real nightmare, can't believe she got published."

6) Also, to my knowledge, the offensive posts had no comments on them, while the posts she acknowledges had some lively comments debates.

7) Now, can I claim I read every word she posted? Of course not. But I did read it enough to know that she did not regularly reflect the attitudes she's accused of here.

8) Maybe most important, I write this to say: I've followed Joy's writing for @17 years. She did not appear out of nowhere, to me, and wind up with a television show. Some of her critics imply that. Which only shows their own isolation

9) Because let's be honest, too often a great black writer seems to appear out of nowhere. Sometimes that makes them vulnerable to criticism; sometimes it makes them just magical. Those of us who followed the politics of race, class and gender more than a decade ago know Joy Reid

10) Again, I cannot say with certainty none of these posts she's disavowed appeared on her blog way back when. I can just say: I've been reading her for 17 years. And I don't believe they did. Thanks for reading.

https://twitter.com/joanwalsh/status/989229307766730752
What about all the homophobic blog posts she apologized for before ?

What about all the homophobic blog posts she apologized for before ?
Apples and oranges. They were offensive but not in the same league as the most recent stuff.

She admitted she was wrong, it seemed sincere and her audience accepted it, as did Charlie Crist.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/msnbc-s-joy-reid-apologizes-insensitive-lgbt-blog-posts-n826091

by Brooke Sopelsa / Dec.03.2017 / 1:12 PM ET

MSNBC's Joy Reid apologizes for 'insensitive' LGBT blog posts

[...]

Now, it is Reid who is seeking forgiveness for, as she put it, “insensitive, tone deaf and dumb” comments.

"In addition to friends and coworkers and viewers, I deeply apologize to Congressman Crist, who was the target of my thoughtlessness. My critique of anti-LGBT positions he once held but has since abandoned was legitimate in my view. My means of critiquing were not," she wrote.

"Re-reading those old blog posts, I am disappointed in myself. I apologize to those who also are disappointed in me. Life can be humbling. It often is. But I hope that you know where my heart is, and that I will always strive to use my words for good. I know better and I will do better," Reid wrote.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/entertainmentnews/charlie-crist-accepts-joy-reid’s-apology-for-past-jokes-about-him-‘long-forgotten-but-thank-you’/ar-BBGaH5G

Charlie Crist Accepts Joy Reid’s Apology for Past Jokes About Him: ‘Long Forgotten, but Thank You’

Charlie Crist has accepted MSNBC host Joy Reid’s apology for comments she made a decade ago that mocked him with language that has been criticized as homophobic.

"Long forgotten, but thank you" the former Florida Gov. tweeted early Sunday evening. "I appreciate you." 

https://twitter.com/bourgeoisalien/status/989499398735482880

Let's be clear. Joy Reid did write all of these hideous blog posts, not only were they homophobic, they cheered on Trump, fat shamed Rosie O'Donnell, and were insanely mean

If you don't believe experts who know she's lying, her constant misspelling of 'feud' is a dead give away
Isabelle‏ @TheFrenchBarbie 3h3 hours ago

Replying to @bourgeoisalien

I'm not saying she did or didn't do it, but I'm not sure misspelling a word twice, three years apart, constitutes as "constantly".

‘SIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE’

Claims by Joy Reid’s Cybersecurity Expert Fall Apart

The Daily Beast investigated the MSNBC host’s claims that someone hacked her old blogs to make her appear homophobic and found that the evidence provided crumbles under scrutiny.

KEVIN POULSEN

04.26.18 10:00 PM ET

Nichols said those six posts are nowhere to be found in the Internet Archive. But that is not true.

Further searching on the Internet Archive turned up the posts for all six of the screenshots Nichols described as fakes, including the one about Eddie Murphy. The Internet Archive’s records indicate they were retrieved and stored between 2006 and 2009. And all six are exactly as they appear in the screenshots. A random check of other screenshots attributed to the blog produced the same result: none of the images are faked or doctored.

If there was a hack, it would have taken place years ago. The Internet Archive’s records show the disputed posts were mirrored by the Wayback Machine no later than 2009, and many of them were archived much earlier, some within hours of appearing on Reid’s blog. Reichmann, Reid’s attorney, explored the possibility last year that the posts were crafted more recently, and that someone inserted them into the Internet Archive with false dates. Reichmann contacted the non-profit in December to "demand that you provide us with the information needed to determine how the fraudulent posts came to be included in the archived posts.”

But at least one of the entries was contemporaneously referenced on a completely different website. A February 6, 2007 post containing the line “most straight guys (and women) do react with winces at the sight of two men kissing on the lips” drew a comment on the Democratic Underground forum the same day: “Oh, Reidblog... why, why why…”

Today Nichols says Reid and her team no longer believe the archive was hacked, and the Internet Archive has denied any such manipulation could have occurred. “We found nothing to indicate tampering or hacking of the Wayback Machine versions,” an archiver for the site said in a statement.

That’s an extraordinary claim, and so far the bits and pieces of evidence offered for it have not stood up to scrutiny when they’ve been specific enough to test. If she wasn’t hacked, it doesn't necessarily follow that Reid is lying. Her decision to hire a security consultant to investigate the posts, and a lawyer to demand the access logs for her blog account, suggests she genuinely believes at least some of the posts were planted. After twelve years and tens of thousands of written words, Reid simply may not remember.

It’s possible that in the end Reid will discover her adversary isn’t a determined hacker, but a far more dogged foe: The Joy-Ann Reid of years past, writing in a voice she can no longer recognize as her own.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/claims-by-joy-reids-cybersecurity-expert-fall-apart/?ref=home

Glenn Greenwald‏ @ggreenwald 

If you want to say you don't care if a journalist at a major media outlet fabricates a convoluted story to deny her own authorship, then say it - it's the only remaining claim left to defend her. Just please spare us any future pretense that you care about Fake News & the like.

This is starting to look bad. Man I’ll be very disappointed if this turns out to be true. But if she lied about hacking, they should fire her. 

Users who are viewing this thread