What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL NFC CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD*** Eagles going to the Bowl!!!! (2 Viewers)

As a Vikings fan I would rather they were playing the Falcons at home than having to travel to the Eagles.

The Vikings offense relies on being able to run the ball. Keemum is much more effective off of play action passes than he is otherwise. For the play action to work the offense needs to be able to run the ball well.

The Eagles defense is great at stopping the run. The Vikings will try of course, I just don't see the Vikings running all that well in this game, and as a result I don't see Keenum passing all that well in this game either.

As has already been mentioned I think it comes down to which QB makes fewer costly errors, such as turnovers or just general ineffectiveness. I see both defenses controlling the game pretty well and one big play could be the deciding factor, either a turnover for a TD or if one of these teams can actually catch the opposing defense sleeping for a big play at some point.

The weather matters because I don't think Keenum played well in Green Bay a few weeks ago in the cold. The Packers had a lot of injuries in the secondary, and really it seemed like a good situation for Keenum to be more successful throwing the ball, but he wasn't and I think the cold is part of the reason he didn't play better than he did. So if it 40 degrees and not too windy, its better for that type of outlook.

I really think this game comes down to which team plays better on defense though and the Eagles have home field advantage and the crowd on their side.

It might take another miracle for the Vikings to win this one.

This should be a very interesting game. Teams are built very similarly. Both have great defenses. Neither Foles nor Keenum really wow anyone. These guys have to manage the game and not make mistakes. Murray and McKinnon vs Ajayi and Blount seems to be a wash too.  Theilan and Diggs may be ever so slightly better than Jeffery and Agholor, but Ertz is better than Rudolph.  

I know it's cliche but this one really could come down the Special Teams and turnovers. I don't see much difference anywhere else
I think this is spot on.  agree with everything.

I can't believe how similar these teams and their respective stories are. Of course I want my Eagles to win and I'm still getting aggravated by the lack of national respect. But Minnesota is a fine football state and fan base and if they beat us, I'll whole heartedly root for them. We don't need to keep going round and round on who is better. The nation and Vegas has them as the favorite but I think the knowledgeable fans on both sides in here know it's razor close. 

I'm also pulling for Jax for some of the same reasons as they've never won it all either. 

It's hard to hate Minnesota. But I'm amped for this game. Need more Randy Moss's or Daunte Culpeppers to get that animosity flowing. Oh well. 

It's hard to hate Minnesota. But I'm amped for this game. Need more Randy Moss's or Daunte Culpeppers to get that animosity flowing. Oh well. 
yeah i would rather have played the Saints cause they seem real easy to dislike. will be a fun game, and both teams have been through adversity this year which makes both easier to root for

Biabreakable said:
As has already been mentioned I think it comes down to which QB makes fewer costly errors, such as turnovers or just general ineffectiveness. I see both defenses controlling the game pretty well and one big play could be the deciding factor, either a turnover for a TD or if one of these teams can actually catch the opposing defense sleeping for a big play at some point.

I really think this game comes down to which team plays better on defense though and the Eagles have home field advantage and the crowd on their side.
You can't pick both! :P

Well the Vikings are going to win handily of course.  :)

I really don't know. I expect it to be a close game, but yeah whoever makes the biggest blunders likely loses the game.
Haha i meant you can't pick two things that the "game is going to come down to" :P

Haha i meant you can't pick two things that the "game is going to come down to" :P
Ah yeah I get your point.

Every play matters.

Big turnovers leading to defensive scores or short fields being perhaps the most impactful type of plays I see deciding the game. That could happen to either team or even both.

Not sure how confident Eagles fans are feeling about Foles. Keenum has won a lot of game this year. He has also made some very bad errors in a lot of them, including the most recent game against the Saints. My confidence in him avoiding such bad plays is not very high. I cringe almost every time he puts the ball in the air.

I don't see the Vikings running the ball very well, which means they will need Keenum to throw the ball more. Makes me feel a bit sick inside about the prospect. I like the Vikings chances to run the ball well a lot better against the Saints or Falcons than the Eagles. I think this is a pretty big deal.

The Vikings defense really needs to turn things up a notch from how they played against the Saints I think for them to win this game. 

Ah yeah I get your point.

Every play matters.

Big turnovers leading to defensive scores or short fields being perhaps the most impactful type of plays I see deciding the game. That could happen to either team or even both.

Not sure how confident Eagles fans are feeling about Foles. Keenum has won a lot of game this year. He has also made some very bad errors in a lot of them, including the most recent game against the Saints. My confidence in him avoiding such bad plays is not very high. I cringe almost every time he puts the ball in the air.

I don't see the Vikings running the ball very well, which means they will need Keenum to throw the ball more. Makes me feel a bit sick inside about the prospect. I like the Vikings chances to run the ball well a lot better against the Saints or Falcons than the Eagles. I think this is a pretty big deal.

The Vikings defense really needs to turn things up a notch from how they played against the Saints I think for them to win this game. 
17-13 Vikes if I had to pick.

Defense with most turnovers wins.  And take the under at 38.5.  Actually wish Wentz was playing with his NDSU roots would make it an even better story here in the midwest.  Gonna be a good one, heart says Vikes but will be a dogfight.

hmm odds if Eagles and Pats win look to be:

993  Philadelphia Eagles  +7  (-105)   o45½  (-115)

9994  New England Patriots  -7  (-125)   u45½  (-115)

Vikings are 3 point dog

ETA:  oof, dog masks will be out if Jax-Phi. Jax will be 2.5 favorite

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm too lazy to look up the details, but Eagles defense at home gives up an average of like 12 points. Vikings when playing away have significant drop in PPG as well
It's just my prediction.  I clearly hope I'm wrong.

hmm odds if Eagles and Pats win look to be:

993  Philadelphia Eagles  +7  (-105)   o45½  (-115)

9994  New England Patriots  -7  (-125)   u45½  (-115)

Vikings are 3 point dog
what are they vs jax?

Surprised the Eagles are only 7 point dogs against the Pats.  Also surprised that the Eagles are dogs against the Jags at all (although I get it since the Jags are coming off 2 wins against the Steelers and Pats).  

fred_1_15301 said:
Agreed.  I think most non-Eagles fans want to see the Vikings make it for this factor alone.  I bet on the Eagles money line so Go Eagles!
The Vikings playing the super bowl at home is the definition of a snooze fest story. Intriguing?  Ha

i'm too lazy to look up the details, but Eagles defense at home gives up an average of like 12 points. Vikings when playing away have significant drop in PPG as well
Vikings D gives up 19 on the road. Their offense scores 23 on the road.

48 is the high.  It will  be in the high 30s during game.  May be a bit windier than 5mph too.  Still not horrible for mn
The weather stuff is overblown.  It's the NFC Championship game.  Thee only discomfort the players feel is when they're either pancaked or get their bell rung.

The weather stuff is overblown.  It's the NFC Championship game.  Thee only discomfort the players feel is when they're either pancaked or get their bell rung.
Agreed... The players on both teams know what is on the stake.  I really think this game will boil down to the coaching especially with the situational decision.  Eagles HC Pederson schemed well vs. Falcons and now he must take up to the notch vs. Zimmer's defense.  What make Zimmer great in his coaching  is his ability to identify and correct the flaws / mistakes (i.e. allowing Brees to convert 1st down during late 4th quarter). 

Agree.  I do think a dome team going on the road to play outside is a little something though
Yeah, I think typically there's some validity to that.  But in many cases the dome teams are more inclined toward fast break offenses that pass the ball frequently and effectively as their primary means of scoring (Think Falcons, Saints of recent vintage).  This Vikings team is built more like an outdoor, cold weather team.  Strong defense, run and pass efficiently without really favoring one over the other. 

I used to like Joe back when he started.  He does come off as not being a big fan of the Eagles, I think most fans know it too.  He will most definitely be very energetic if the Vikes are scoring and leading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I \used to like Joe back when he started.  He does come off as not being a big fan of the Eagles, I think most fans know it too.  He will most definitely be very energetic if the Vikes are scoring and leading.
I doubt that.  Joe doesn't seem to think much of the Vikings either.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out with him calling the game of two teams he's not high on.  Could be quite funny actually, or just dreadful... most likely dreadful.

I doubt that.  Joe doesn't seem to think much of the Vikings either.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out with him calling the game of two teams he's not high on.  Could be quite funny actually, or just dreadful... most likely dreadful.
Oh, you mean he might have to be impartial?  Hmmm.

No doubt it will be dreadful.

Not sure there's too much to this game in the X's and O's besides your stereotypical "win in the trenches", "don't turn the ball over" cliches.

What are the individual matchups to pay attention to that could decide the game? 

Users who are viewing this thread