What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL NFL Trade deadline watch***** - 4pm Tuesday (1 Viewer)

enfuego

Footballguy
There's talk that there could be some trades.

Tampa Bay RB? Arizona QB?

Post them here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a lot of speculation, but just that. There generally aren't too many (if at all) in-season trades.

There has actually been a lot of activity the last few years. With all the injuries I wouldn't be surprised to see a few players change uniforms. I'd guess a Mewelde Moore trade is at least 50-50 given Tampa's interest and the Patriots' reported interest when he was originally drafted.

Probably a lot of speculation, but just that. There generally aren't too many (if at all) in-season trades.
Most years I would agree, but this year we have some coaches/GM's in win now situations. That, coupled with need, sets up the possibility of a move (or two).

Link please.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3060141The NFL trade moratorium arrives on Tuesday at 4 p.m. and, barring the unexpected, the deadline is likely to pass much as it has in recent seasons: without a blockbuster deal.

The Colts acquired Anthony McFarland from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the trade deadline last season, in exchange for a second-round selection in this year's draft, and the standout defensive tackle played a big part in bolstering a shoddy run defense in Indianapolis' surge to the Super Bowl title.

But such meaningful deadline deals simply don't often occur in the league. Even with the increase in offseason bartering over the past four years, in-season trades in the NFL, at least those of any real consequence, remain a rarity.

And this year isn't likely to be an exception.

There might be, as there almost always is, plenty of dialogue. What there won't be, though, is a lot of wheeling and dealing. About the only people likely to better their lot are the folks who control the stock in any of the long-distance phone carriers.

It just doesn't happen in the NFL the way it does in other professional sports, particularly in baseball, where the run-up to the trade deadline is traditionally a frantic time. Such is the anticipation of baseball "deadline deals" that ESPN usually schedules a special show around the event. In contrast, Tuesday's edition of "NFL Live" isn't likely to kick off with a breathless Trey Wingo analyzing the ramifications of a dozen 11th-hour trades.

"We may be searching [for a running back] right now," said Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, whose team has been attempting to acquire Minnesota backup Mewelde Moore to address a spate of injuries at the tailback position. "But 'searching' and 'collecting' are two different issues. You can search all you want, but there aren't a lot of teams in football that are willing to part ways with a good running back or good players [in general]."

Since 1990, there have been only 20 "deadline deals" in the NFL. Over the past 10 years, six deadlines have passed without a trade being made. Perhaps the most notable player dealt in the past 20 years was Jerry Rice, who went from Oakland to Seattle just before the 2004 deadline. But Rice, who some consider the greatest player ever, was 42 at the time. He had already left the San Francisco 49ers, the franchise he is most associated with, and was clearly in decline.

Only a few years ago, the most cited excuse for the lack of action on deadline day was the salary cap and the restrictions it might present. But teams are flush with cap room this season -- at least 10 franchises have more than $10 million each in available space, more than enough to take on even a fairly weighty contract -- and there still won't be much bartering. One reason is, as noted, that teams' front office personnel have talked themselves into a state of inertia. The other is that many general managers and coaches still believe it is difficult to assimilate a player into their system after the first month of the season.

That's why there has been no discernable ground swell to move the trade deadline back to a later juncture in the schedule, as baseball has. In baseball, a team can add a pitcher for the final month of the season and make a difference. In the NFL, it would probably take a player two weeks to merely gain a cursory familiarity with a scheme.

Chances are there will be two or three minor deals next week, perhaps with the Bucs, who have made a deadline deal each of the past three seasons, getting a veteran tailback. And there are teams attempting to bolster the depth on their offensive and defensive lines as well. There could even be a little more action than usual, simply because competition in some divisions is more wide open than anticipated and a few franchises sense the chance to steal a division title by acquiring a role player.

It will be a surprise, though, if any truly high-profile players change teams.

"Even if you moved the deadline," said Atlanta Falcons' team president Rich McKay, co-chairman of the league's competition committee, "I don't think it would increase the likelihood of more trades. People suggest it every so often, but I don't think there's any kind of strong sentiment to do it."

And so things figure to remain status quo. Which probably means status no on any significant deals before Tuesday's deadline.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Keys Myaths said:
Serafino said:
zamboni said:
Link please.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3060141The NFL trade moratorium arrives on Tuesday at 4 p.m. and, barring the unexpected, the deadline is likely to pass much as it has in recent seasons: without a blockbuster deal...........

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
After seeing that article, there probably will be a deal worth talking about...Len/ESPN has been off all year...

Due to the Titans suddenly anemic running game, there is some speculation around Baptist Sports park RE: Michael Turner.........(I know what AJ has said about not trading him in the offseason)

:confused:

There's a L. Coles to the Jaguars rumor running around Jacksonville. Jags abviously need a WR, Coles is from Jacksonville, and the Jets seem close to ready to bench Chad and start the healing process. It might have some legs.

There's a L. Coles to the Jaguars rumor running around Jacksonville. Jags abviously need a WR, Coles is from Jacksonville, and the Jets seem close to ready to bench Chad and start the healing process. It might have some legs.
I dont like that move in terms of Coles fantasy value

Me either. The Jags under Del Rio are all about power defense and ball control offense. When the Jags get a lead early and the defense is playing well, Coles might not see 5 targets a game. But as a Cotchery owner, I'd be excited.

I don't see that happening. First off, that would mean Mangini is giving up on the season, which he's not ready to. Also, there could be some cap hit considerations.

Bennett to the Bucs?

The Kansas City Star is reporting that the Chiefs have traded RB Michael Bennett to the Buccaneers.

The deal isn't official, but Bennett told the paper he was informed of the deal by both teams. It's uncertain what the Chiefs' got, but it shouldn't be more than a fourth-round pick. The injury-prone Bennett hasn't been an effective backup since 2003. The deal could be an indication the Chiefs believe Priest Holmes (PUP, neck) is ready to play again. For now, Kolby Smith will be Larry Johnson's primary backup.

Granted, not many teams will be wanting to deal anything but a late, 2nd day pick, but can't Miami deal the rights to Ricky w/o him being reinstated? I think it likely that they just keep him, but as a Ronnie owner, I'm getting anxious.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Wadsworth said:
Coles is a captain on the Jets. Mangini is VERY reluctant to make any decisions that might rattle the comraderie of his team, with the resistance to benching Pennington being the obvious example. Coles isn't going anywhere - especially when the answer to a lot of their offense's problems might be just a coach's decision away.

This from PFT:

NO DEAL ON MEWELDE

With the trade deadline coming up soon and the Bucs no longer looking for a new tailback, the Vikings most likely won't be trading Mewelde Moore.

Per a league source, the Vikings decided that Moore, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, is worth more to the team than what others were offering.

If either Adrian Peterson or Chester Taylor gets injured, Moore can step right in. He also can handle punt-return duties if receiver Bobby Wade goes down.

Link please.
Here you goSeriously though, there may be a few token deals, but nothing like we see on deadline days in other sports.
So far today...Bennett to the Bucs

and

Chambers to the Chargers for a #2 pick.

:lmao:
No doubt - surprising at the deals. But we're still a ways from the frenetic pace of MLB, NHL and NBA deadline deals.

Link please.
Here you goSeriously though, there may be a few token deals, but nothing like we see on deadline days in other sports.

and

:goodposting:
No doubt - surprising at the deals. But we're still a ways from the frenetic pace of MLB, NHL and NBA deadline deals.
Backpedal much? :P

Link please.

and

Read much?

Radio reporting Redskins interested in Jason Taylor. no link, buddy just called after hearing it. could be total rumor after Chambers trade.

Link please.

and

Read much?
First of all, I was kidding. Secondly, yes, I read. You?

Users who are viewing this thread