What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official NY METS 2014 Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Koya said:
If you are going to throw bombs show some evidence. I actually know the family (Katz), not just reading news clippings. And if you are going to pull the Madoff card, they are guilty of ultimate stupidity for such generally smart people, but hardly more. And I know that personally.
How so? Because someone under investigation told you so? Always a reliable source :rolleyes:
Because a family friend would not have wanted to get me a job 15 years ago with a guy he thought was a crook.What's your ####### source? Newspapers and hearsay?
Your implication is that sourced reporting is somehow less reliable than your impressions based upon a personal relationship.
My implication is I know the family. What fraud, specifically, are you referring to? Sometimes actually you know, knowing people, is better than sweeping statements that amounted to nothing in the press.

But sure, run with it because it's bombastic when you actually know nothing about the people you accuse. So easy to throw i-bombs from a distance.
1) I'd have no problem saying this in person

2) You sound utterly naïve. People deceive all the time.
Honestly, you are acting in an aggressive kind of ####### way. I'm hardly naive, but call me out as well without knowing me from a hole in the wall.Now, if you would actually answer my question as to what fraud issue you are specifically refer to, perhaps I can provide a more accurate reply... If it's an issue I'm not familiar with, I'm hardly stupid enough to think that even good people are immune from doing shady things, but since you refuse to answer a simple question I hardly think that my "naïveté" should be called into question by someone pounding their I-chest.
Someone needs some I-calm.
Very calm here. You are the one lobbing bombs, ignoring questions and calling out others naïveté.

I'll leave it to others to judge whose being more polite and responsive in this discussion.

About the third time you've ignored the question as to what fraud to which do you refer.
Well, your question is fairly irrelevant. You've already asserted both blanket and specific denials of any criminality by Katz and Wilpon. Which considering they've been in the NYC land development business for about half a century is quite a statement.

ETA: I'm both bored of this and don't want to ruin the thread further. The season is bleak enough, so I'll not be responding further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Koya said:
If you are going to throw bombs show some evidence. I actually know the family (Katz), not just reading news clippings. And if you are going to pull the Madoff card, they are guilty of ultimate stupidity for such generally smart people, but hardly more. And I know that personally.
How so? Because someone under investigation told you so? Always a reliable source :rolleyes:
Because a family friend would not have wanted to get me a job 15 years ago with a guy he thought was a crook.What's your ####### source? Newspapers and hearsay?
Your implication is that sourced reporting is somehow less reliable than your impressions based upon a personal relationship.
My implication is I know the family. What fraud, specifically, are you referring to? Sometimes actually you know, knowing people, is better than sweeping statements that amounted to nothing in the press.

But sure, run with it because it's bombastic when you actually know nothing about the people you accuse. So easy to throw i-bombs from a distance.
1) I'd have no problem saying this in person

2) You sound utterly naïve. People deceive all the time.
Honestly, you are acting in an aggressive kind of ####### way. I'm hardly naive, but call me out as well without knowing me from a hole in the wall.Now, if you would actually answer my question as to what fraud issue you are specifically refer to, perhaps I can provide a more accurate reply... If it's an issue I'm not familiar with, I'm hardly stupid enough to think that even good people are immune from doing shady things, but since you refuse to answer a simple question I hardly think that my "naïveté" should be called into question by someone pounding their I-chest.
Someone needs some I-calm.
Debbie Downer calms down people, too.

Wow, what a cowardly cop out - it was a simple question with a specific reason.

Really blame me for a blanket statement and then insinuate that because they are in the development business that they must be crooks? It's not just cowardly, it's pathetic. Obviously you don't want to engage in a legit discussion about the ownership of the team, and I have no reason to ever bother discussing much with someone who shows - and honestly deserves - so little respect.

Fwiw, I've been in development for 10 years in the NY area. Guess I am a crook, too. There are many on this board I don't agree with and some who honestly are idiots and fisherman - but even they deserve more respect than what I see here.

It's bad enough I have to root for this disaster of a franchise - it's far worse to have to share a thread with someone of such weak substance, at least as demonstrated by their own words and behavior here (nothing else I can go by after all).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now that that sad charade is behind us - Miracle Mets? Haven't been able to follow at all having been out of the country. How we looking? Seems to be some positives, no?

Mejia looked very sharp as the Mets get to 500.

That win gets them a winning 9 game road trip. I think Gee gets his 1st win this afternoon and we wrap up a 6-3 road trip.

Not bad...I had them at 3-6

Playing around the fringes of respectability - how are our minor league arms doing, anyone know?

Mejia looked very sharp as the Mets get to 500.

That win gets them a winning 9 game road trip. I think Gee gets his 1st win this afternoon and we wrap up a 6-3 road trip.

Not bad...I had them at 3-6
All things considered I don't think any of us can be upset with how the season has started. It's been enjoyable listening to the games lately.

Great job.

Arizona sweep

2/3 from Atlanta

1/3 from LAA

6-3 road trip.

Gee looked good today.

Very happy so far. I'm expecting 75 wins and can only hope to be playing meaningful ball in mid September and see how the pitching prospects fair when called up. Will be an interesting summer when we get 1 or 2 call ups.

Eephus said:
anybody know anything about this Matsuzaka kid? :shrug:
He was up with the Mets last year. He stunk at first, but then got better. He could become a good major leaguer.

Mets might want to look into signing Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales to two year deals in June. Won't cost draft picks. And they would be solid stop gaps on a horrible offense.

I look at Stanton sort of like Josh Beckett when he was traded from the Marlins. Marlins got super blue chip prospect Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez.

I think the Cardinals and Red Sox have the prospects to get a deal done, especially the Cardinals, they have a ton of young players.

Mets might want to look into signing Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales to two year deals in June. Won't cost draft picks. And they would be solid stop gaps on a horrible offense.
Especially Drew. Having positive contributions from a shortstop would be awesome.

comfortably numb said:
So, how do we trade for Giancarlo Stanton?
I doubt the Mets even have the money to give Stanton the 10 year, $200 million contract he's going to demand, especially with the money they've committed to Granderson.

Especially Drew. Having positive contributions from a shortstop would be awesome.
Except there has been no indication the Mets have any more budget for players. By all accounts they're tapped out.

Except there has been no indication the Mets have any more budget for players. By all accounts they're tapped out.
At the risk of the wrath of Koya, I'm calling BS on the Wilpons. The Mets' opening day payroll was $84M and the trade of Ike Davis brings this down by another 4%. Local television deals where the owners control a regional sports network are impossible to decipher from the outside but given the size of the market, they should be able to sustain the majority of team payroll on TV revenues alone. The Wilpons are taking their rake on both the Mets and SportsNet NY, which is of course their right as owners. But it's disingenuous at best for the Mets to be crying poor mouth.

In their defense, there's really no reason to spend more this year. They'd still be a mediocre team at $100+M. But if/when ever their window opens, the club should be in a very good position to ramp up payroll quickly. They've had $150M teams in the recent past and there's no reason why they can't do that again.

At the risk of the wrath of Koya, I'm calling BS on the Wilpons. The Mets' opening day payroll was $84M and the trade of Ike Davis brings this down by another 4%. Local television deals where the owners control a regional sports network are impossible to decipher from the outside but given the size of the market, they should be able to sustain the majority of team payroll on TV revenues alone. The Wilpons are taking their rake on both the Mets and SportsNet NY, which is of course their right as owners. But it's disingenuous at best for the Mets to be crying poor mouth.

In their defense, there's really no reason to spend more this year. They'd still be a mediocre team at $100+M. But if/when ever their window opens, the club should be in a very good position to ramp up payroll quickly. They've had $150M teams in the recent past and there's no reason why they can't do that again.
Well, the Mets are spending about as much on debt service as the Cardinals' player payroll. So I very much doubt they'll be spending $150M on player payroll anytime soon.

No wrath at all. I completely agree. This ownership is a disaster and I've called them out as such and stated that if they are not willing to step up to the plate and do what's necessary to compete - in perhaps the only market where you can spend your way to success even with some big mistakes along the way - they should get out of the game. It's an embarrassment.

My fury before was based upon someone calling out people as criminals (fraud specifically) with no basis, no facts and no knowledge of these people. When pressed for any evidence or support not only were these requests ignored, but then poster then took the cowardly "oh I'm bored talking about this I'm done" way out.

I know the Katz personally which is why it touched a nerve. Calling them criminals without real backing won't fly when I know how much good they've done in the community without ever seeking out press for it. Calling them out as crappy owners is tough to refute as we all have the evidence before us

Really impressed with Mejia. Another strong showing with 7 Ks.

dArnoud almost at 200.

Granderson. ...Ooooof 0-3 with 3 Ks.
Mejia's been great. That's 12 straight shutout innings. And d'Arnaud's been a lot better of late, which is great to see. But Granderson.....he looks horrible. It's one thing to swing and miss (which he's been doing a lot of) but it looks like his bat speed is gone. He's late on 91 MPH fastballs, which is very concerning. I hope I'm wrong.

what is cowardly is ownership's refusal to do interviews anymore, hiding behind their baseball puppet Alderson. there are legit questions to be answered here and it is a slap in the face of what fans they have left. the arrogance with which they run this 2nd class operation is truly amazing. if I am not mistaken, they have run off 50% of the gate since Shea's last year. payroll sits 22nd, in the world of the mid market teams. the debt service on the stadium is high. they have sold stakes in sny to stay afloat. hmmmm, using a regional sports network for your own personal gain once lost an owner his team.

wow, LAM, I have 4 pitching prospects, 2 of which are top 50? of the 87mill payroll this year, 51mill was spent on colon, bcy, granderK, iKe and dwright. so 36mill for the other 20 players? this is why you have what you have, retreads and dreck.

and god, this team refuses to win or play well at home. a .191 BA makes for rough times.

why should I spend money on an inferior product when ownership doesn't seem to have a commitment to trying?

Obviously this success isn't sustainable unless the offense improves in a big way, but it's still nice to see the Mets winning games.

what is cowardly is ownership's refusal to do interviews anymore, hiding behind their baseball puppet Alderson. there are legit questions to be answered here and it is a slap in the face of what fans they have left. the arrogance with which they run this 2nd class operation is truly amazing. if I am not mistaken, they have run off 50% of the gate since Shea's last year. payroll sits 22nd, in the world of the mid market teams. the debt service on the stadium is high. they have sold stakes in sny to stay afloat. hmmmm, using a regional sports network for your own personal gain once lost an owner his team.

wow, LAM, I have 4 pitching prospects, 2 of which are top 50? of the 87mill payroll this year, 51mill was spent on colon, bcy, granderK, iKe and dwright. so 36mill for the other 20 players? this is why you have what you have, retreads and dreck.

and god, this team refuses to win or play well at home. a .191 BA makes for rough times.

why should I spend money on an inferior product when ownership doesn't seem to have a commitment to trying?
You shouldn't. And the ownership should be called out for it's lack of, well, just about everything in a market that most would dream to be a part of.

Now, as awful as they have been, with the Wilpons really leading (or not leading as the case may be) the charge, that does not extend to their private lives. Again, I don't know the Wilpons well at all but do know the Katz. Heck, my wife has been in the hospital this week, in the Katz wing which is only one example of their tremendous charity.

Unfortunately, that charity does not extend to what should be a huge money making venture, the NY Mets. So again, I call them out as owners and others should too - they should sell the team as it's been demonstrated over the course of decades now, that there is not a true willingness to compete on a stage even close to commensurate with this great City.

Users who are viewing this thread