What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Pac-12 Final Season Thread (1 Viewer)

bigbottom

Footballguy
As the PAC-12 enters what appears to be its final season, this not so safe space has been created to accommodate grudges, friendly bets, not so friendly bets, snide remarks, smack talk, and general disgruntlement as the Conference of Champions embarks on its last hurrah (or perhaps more fittingly, its last gasp). Will the spurned Beavers exact vengeance on their soon to be departed Pac-12 opponents? Will the Ducks prove that they are more than an open wallet and gaudy uniforms? Will the Trojans become even more intolerably pompous and annoying? Pull up a chair and let's find out together!

Any predictions for the season?

Rankings don't matter but Brett McMurphy has UW 7, Oregon 9, Beavs 13....and USC 14. Hmmmm....

I'd love to see Oregon State exact vengeance through the whole conference but I don't trust that DJU can make that happen.

You know who likes gaudy uniforms and open wallets? Teenagers. And Duck fans.
And I will be at the USC game to watch the Ducks puncture the Trojans!

Well you already have the ugly shirt I had to wear for losing my last Ducks/Trojans bet!

Oh yeah, thanks for the sun screen! I put that in my disc golf bag. Always need sunscreen when your skin is translucent!

Rankings don't matter but Brett McMurphy has UW 7, Oregon 9, Beavs 13....and USC 14. Hmmmm....

I'd love to see Oregon State exact vengeance through the whole conference but I don't trust that DJU can make that happen.

I do not think it'll be DJU when conference play starts.....

I’ll do my Pac-12 predictions for end of season (prior to Pac-12 playoff game):

1. USC
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. Oregon State
5. Utah
6. UCLA

and all the rest . . .

Not really going out on a limb here.

You know who likes gaudy uniforms and open wallets? Teenagers. And Duck fans.
And I will be at the USC game to watch the Ducks puncture the Trojans!

Well you already have the ugly shirt I had to wear for losing my last Ducks/Trojans bet!

Oh yeah, thanks for the sun screen! I put that in my disc golf bag. Always need sunscreen when your skin is translucent!

And it doubles as lip balm!!

1 Oregon
2 USC
3 Washington
4 Utah
5 Oregon State
6 UCLA
7 Washington State
8 Arizona
9 Stanford
10 Cal
11 Colorado
12 Arizona State

Oregon wins the conference last year if Nix doesn't get hurt in Washington game. USC has no defense. Washington had a favorable schedule last year and had great luck with injuries and their defense was awful. Utah lost quite a bit and I doubt Rising is healthy after ACL surgury. Oregon had best offense in the conference last year before Nix got hurt. It really comes down to whose defense improves the most, I am betting on Oregon.

Yeah, that UW game is in Montlake so tough sledding for sure. Penix is a solid Heisman choice at long odds. Dude is so accurate.

Pac12 is the conference of QBs this year for sure.

I think I'm going to rewatch the Pac12 championship game tonight. I don't recall ever seeing a defensive collapse like that in any football game before. It was like General Pickett was in charge.

Did USC do anything to address the defensive failures of last year?

I think I'm going to rewatch the Pac12 championship game tonight. I don't recall ever seeing a defensive collapse like that in any football game before. It was like General Pickett was in charge.

Did USC do anything to address the defensive failures of last year?

Yes, they brought in a lot of talent via the transfer portal. Time will tell if the issue was lack of talent or poor coaching. If the former, things will be materially improved. If the latter, they’ll be in trouble again. (And I say in trouble again like they didn’t go 11-1 in the regular season after a 4-8 record the year prior. Though counterpoint - they didn’t play Washington or Oregon.)

Edit: Looked up who they added on defense via the transfer portal:

4-star defensive lineman Bear Alexander (Georgia)

4-star cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace (Arizona)

4-star defensive lineman Anthony Lucas (Texas A&M)

4-star linebacker Mason Cobb (Oklahoma State)

3-star defensive lineman Jack Sullivan (Purdue)

3-star defensive lineman Kyon Barrs (Arizona)

3-star RUSH end Jamil Muhammad (Georgia State)

3-star cornerback Tre'quon Fegans (Alabama)

Last edited:
USC vs Tulane last year is a good one as well

They weren’t hardly trying by that point! The Pac-12 Championship was where they showed their ***. But they were dominating on offense until Caleb got injured. Then the offense stalled and the defense couldn’t stop anything. Again, time will tell, but if USC even has a mediocre defense this year, they’ll be tough to beat I think.

Last edited:
And there we have it. The biggest problem for all Pac12 schools is lack of depth. That's not a problem for Bama or Georgia. But when USC or Oregon lose a key player or two, it's over.

Grew up a Bruin fan, went to Cal.

As usual, I'll be pulling hard for USC to lose in every way possible. Still hate them the most, followed by 'furd. Typically dislike Wazzu and both AZ teams too. No opinion on the Oregon teams. Might have to root against UCLA though now since they were one of the 2 that blew up the Pac-12. That's a tough one for me.

Grew up a Bruin fan, went to Cal.

As usual, I'll be pulling hard for USC to lose in every way possible. Still hate them the most, followed by 'furd. Typically dislike Wazzu and both AZ teams too. No opinion on the Oregon teams. Might have to root against UCLA though now since they were one of the 2 that blew up the Pac-12. That's a tough one for me.

I’m just glad that the USC UCLA annual rivalry gets to continue (assuming the B1G still takes the “protect” approach as they tweak the schedule). My kid was at last year’s game in the Rose Bowl (visiting student section) and it was an amazing experience for him.

Pulling for the Beavers to go a revenge tour this year

-QG

I would love this. I don't think it's likely, but man it would be great to see.

How I think it will all go ...

Oregon
USC
Utah
Oregon St.
Washington
blah

I don't trust Washington, and can't stand USC. That probably had some bearing on this list.

Am I the only USC fan in this place? It feels different for me playing the villain role, but I kind of like it!

Could be one of the most entertaining seasons in conference history in it's swan song. Five teams ranked in the top 25 (although none in the top 5). Just about every ranking of 2023 QBs I've seen has 3 of the top 4 (and 4 of the top 8 or 9) in the conference this year. Obviously some dudes at RB and WR across the league as well. Should be fun.

Does anyone have a defense? Sorted by yards allowed per play, Utah was the only team in the conference in the top 50 last season. If you go by points allowed, OSU and Utah were the only ones in the top 30. They should both be pretty decent on that side of the ball again this year. You'd think USC would be at least marginally better (they can't be much worse), and Oregon should be improved in year 2 with Lanning (and with some of Cristobal's recruits that don't fit the system flushed out on that side of the ball). Of course Oregon also lost the best CB in the conference to the NFL draft, so who knows. Not sure about the FUskies.

I think it'll be a fitting end in that the league will eat itself and everyone will have at least two losses and we'll be left out of the playoff yet again.

Could be one of the most entertaining seasons in conference history in it's swan song. Five teams ranked in the top 25 (although none in the top 5). Just about every ranking of 2023 QBs I've seen has 3 of the top 4 (and 4 of the top 8 or 9) in the conference this year. Obviously some dudes at RB and WR across the league as well. Should be fun.

Does anyone have a defense? Sorted by yards allowed per play, Utah was the only team in the conference in the top 50 last season. If you go by points allowed, OSU and Utah were the only ones in the top 30. They should both be pretty decent on that side of the ball again this year. You'd think USC would be at least marginally better (they can't be much worse), and Oregon should be improved in year 2 with Lanning (and with some of Cristobal's recruits that don't fit the system flushed out on that side of the ball). Of course Oregon also lost the best CB in the conference to the NFL draft, so who knows. Not sure about the FUskies.

I think it'll be a fitting end in that the league will eat itself and everyone will have at least two losses and we'll be left out of the playoff yet again.

Yeah, I think you're right on the nose here with your defensive thoughts. The Beavs are probably tops in the league, though I wonder what Cal has going on as Wilcox is always going to focus on that side of the ball. I would HOPE Oregon's defense is improved - as much as I cackle at USC's breakdowns on defense late in the season, Oregon losing to an Oregon State team that completed 6 forward passes is equally embarrassing. How does that happen?

I also think there will be some regression for UW. They haven't recruited very well and what used to be DB U of the West is no longer stocking the shelves with future NFL players. Jimmy Lake just couldn't recruit and while I think DeBoer is an excellent coach, he hasn't recruited well either. You can only mask deficiencies with good coaching for so long.

Not sure why any 15-year-old would feel the need to commit before their sophomore season, but #1 2026 prospect just committed to USC and Lincoln Riley. Riley may just be the QB whisperer: Baker Mayfield (Heisman) - Kyler Murray (Heisman) - Jalen Hurts (Heisman Runner-Up) - Caleb Williams (Heisman) - Malachi Nelson (5-Star 2023 recruit) - and now Julian Lewis (overall #1 prospect).

Edit: Just now realizing that this news is irrelevant to the final season of the Pac-12. Here is some relevant news: USC Defensive Lineman Solomon Tuliaupupu is injured and out for the season. A terrible development for one of the worst defenses in college football last year.

Washington got very lucky with no injuries last year except for a few games at CB. They do not have much depth so the injuries to their starting RB and offensive lineman will hurt. They need to stay healthy in order to have any shot against USC and Oregon.

The more I look at it I think Oregon has a great shot again at reaching the playoffs. They were right there last year until Nix got hurt. Offense was top in the PAC 12 before his injury and they have all skill positions coming back but lose some offensive lineman. However, got some very good lineman in the portal and some good 4 star youngsters.

Defense needs to step up from last year for sure. Lanning cleaned house this offseason of guys that didn't fit his scheme and brought in 5-6 starters from the portal and hearing good reports so far.

I have Oregon vs USC in PAC 12 championship game rematch. Winner to playoffs.

Okay PAC-12 fans, the favorite to win the conference had its debut yesterday against San Jose State. I was there to witness the game (since pretty much the only way to see a PAC-12 game is to go in person). Here are my takeaways, which may be good news to the other PAC-12 contenders.

USC won handily 56-28, but did not cover the spread. The offense seemed a bit disorganized in the first half, but some of that was due to Riley’s decision to rotate players seemingly every other play. I believe he had three different O-line combinations during the first four drives. Still, Caleb looked good, but not world class (though the fumbled snap that led to a 76-yard TD pass was fun). Things seemed to get more organized in the second half as the offense pulled away. But in the first half, they were only up by one score.

The defense looked improved, with bigger, faster personnnel and improved tackling. Still, they were inconsistent with some missed coverages, including a blown play at the end of the first half (San Jose State received a punt with 29 seconds and one timeout and was able to punch it in for a TD). I would describe the defense as decidedly average. While average is way better than last year’s “terrible”, they need to improve A LOT if they hope to keep Washington and Oregon from scoring at will.

Highlight of the game was the performance of freshman Zachariah Branch. Holy crap does he have a ton of potential. The way he set up his return for a TD (last highlight in the below clip) is not something I’d expect from a freshman playing in his first college game.

Zachariah Branch Highlights

Overall takeaway - looked good but not great. Definitely beatable. Worried about the trip to South Bend and then Eugene. Washington home game as well.

Washington got very lucky with no injuries last year except for a few games at CB. They do not have much depth so the injuries to their starting RB and offensive lineman will hurt. They need to stay healthy in order to have any shot against USC and Oregon.

The more I look at it I think Oregon has a great shot again at reaching the playoffs. They were right there last year until Nix got hurt. Offense was top in the PAC 12 before his injury and they have all skill positions coming back but lose some offensive lineman. However, got some very good lineman in the portal and some good 4 star youngsters.

Defense needs to step up from last year for sure. Lanning cleaned house this offseason of guys that didn't fit his scheme and brought in 5-6 starters from the portal and hearing good reports so far.

Oregon also was fortunate last year injury-wise except, apparently, losing Nix for 4 plays during a critical game.

UW did have good luck with injuries last season. Losing their RB Davis does suck but they have 4 other experienced RBs that will fill in well, including the transfers from Mississippi St and ASU that may prove to be as good or better.

The lineman UW unfortunately lost for the season was a backup, not a starter. But, yeah, depth matters.

Oregon also was fortunate last year injury-wise except, apparently, losing Nix for 4 plays during a critical game.

UW did have good luck with injuries last season. Losing their RB Davis does suck but they have 4 other experienced RBs that will fill in well, including the transfers from Mississippi St and ASU that may prove to be as good or better.

The lineman UW unfortunately lost for the season was a backup, not a starter. But, yeah, depth matters.
OK I thought you were just joking but now I realize you are serious. Yes Nix came back for the final series but he was playing on 1 leg at maybe 40%. He was maybe 50% but still managed to beat Utah and played hurt when losing to OSU. If Penix goes down it would be ugly for UW.

I feel like USC treated this like an exhibition game, which is smart. A LOT to figure out between now and when the games matter. SDSU is not a bad team, either. They are far better than Portland State, who Oregon has this Sat.

College football is back!
Last year Portland State held San Jose State to 21 points, less than the 28 they scored on USC. Last year San Jose State only averaged 3.3 yards per carry, against USC they averaged 7.3.

Understand it is 2 different years but the jury is still out on USC defense. I think teams are going to run all over them.

This kind of back and forth is exactly why I started this thread!!! Can’t wait for some of these teams to start facing off. Let the smack talk continue!!!

I feel like USC treated this like an exhibition game, which is smart. A LOT to figure out between now and when the games matter. SDSU is not a bad team, either. They are far better than Portland State, who Oregon has this Sat.

Last year Portland State held San Jose State to 21 points, less than the 28 they scored on USC. Last year San Jose State only averaged 3.3 yards per carry, against USC they averaged 7.3.

Understand it is 2 different years but the jury is still out on USC defense. I think teams are going to run all over them.

7 of the 28 were in garbage time with all the back ups in, but yeah, your point is very well taken. I’m not convinced there has been sufficient improvement to beat the ranked teams on USC’s schedule.

7 of the 28 were in garbage time with all the back ups in, but yeah, your point is very well taken. I’m not convinced there has been sufficient improvement to beat the ranked teams on USC’s schedule.
I thought commentators were talking about Bear Alexander still being in the game in the 4th? Number 10 looked legit. And yes, the frosh receiver looked very good and is going to be a problem for 3 years.

I thought commentators were talking about Bear Alexander still being in the game in the 4th? Number 10 looked legit. And yes, the frosh receiver looked very good and is going to be a problem for 3 years.

I was at the game, so didn’t have the benefit of commentators (and like Notre Dame, USC doesn’t have names on jerseys). But my understanding was that most of the starters were out at that point in the 4th with USC up by 5 touchdowns.

OK I thought you were just joking but now I realize you are serious. Yes Nix came back for the final series but he was playing on 1 leg at maybe 40%. He was maybe 50% but still managed to beat Utah and played hurt when losing to OSU. If Penix goes down it would be ugly for UW.
I thought you were joking when you said Oregon would’ve “easily” beat UW at Autzen because Nix missed 4 plays but obviously not.

If Penix had missed 4 plays in that game then maybe Oregon wins but certainly not easily.

That’s all I’m saying.

Users who are viewing this thread