What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official Pirates 2015 Thread*: We're pretty f--king bitter (1 Viewer)

The Pirates should return almost everyone next year. Ramirez and Burnett are retiring and their other free agents are mostly rentals. JA Happ is the most significant one but c'mon he's still JA Happ.

The core is generally cost controlled but their window on that is starting to close. The obvious brick wall comes two years from now when McCutchen's contract expires.

Their fate in losing one game playoffs is brutal because the organization has done a lot of things right. But the hump is still there, bigger than it was yesterday. The division is tough so I think they'll have to open the wallet to try to maximize their chances over the next two years.

The Pirates should return almost everyone next year. Ramirez and Burnett are retiring and their other free agents are mostly rentals. JA Happ is the most significant one but c'mon he's still JA Happ.

The core is generally cost controlled but their window on that is starting to close. The obvious brick wall comes two years from now when McCutchen's contract expires.

Their fate in losing one game playoffs is brutal because the organization has done a lot of things right. But the hump is still there, bigger than it was yesterday. The division is tough so I think they'll have to open the wallet to try to maximize their chances over the next two years.
If they could turn Happ into what he became, I'm confident they will be able to find another gem. Happ won't be returning. He will get overpaid by someone and return to obscurity. My biggest concern as you mention is that the division is going to be very strong for a few years. I would imagine the Cubs will be the favorites to win the division next season. As for Cutch, let's just hope NH can get a small fortune in return for him when that time arrives.

How did such a mediocre pitcher become so God-like in just a year? I think he deflated the baseballs.

How did such a mediocre pitcher become so God-like in just a year? I think he deflated the baseballs.
Ray Searage has been the team mvp for a while.

They should have started Liriano imo. He's s big game pitcher.
Liriano has just been too inconsistent and simply wasn't as good as Cole this year. Has he had a history of pitching well in "big games" other than the playoffs from 2 years ago? I can't recall what he did prior to coming to Pittsburgh. Cole has a lot of fire so I was a little surprised by that outing. He's young and will grow from this. Even before the game started, I honestly didn't think anyone on the Pirates would be able to put it off. For that to happen, the starter would have needed to go 6 or 7 shutout innings (which didn't happen very often for Pirates starters).

Agree with you about Searage. Thats why I'm not too worried about losing Happ. Glasnow and Taillon may be reinforcements at some point next year as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baseball is a game of averages. After 162 games a one game play in is not right. Pirates had a great season and I know they can`t play best of 5 or 7 at this time of the year but at least give the proven good team a 2-3 series.

So ... 2016 roster thoughts? Who will we lose? Who should be targeted? When will we see Kang, Taillon, and Glasnow?
In terms of the starting lineup, I think all but one position is pretty much set. The big question is will they trade Alvarez and go with Morse full time at first ( :X ). I suppose they could try to trade Walker and get something of value in return (not sure how much). Kang will probably miss the first 2 months and then I'm guessing they'll ease him in. Perhaps they try to pick up a 3b in free agency (I don't think Harrison is a full time answer at 3b) and some depth in the rotation. Another surprise would be to trade Melancon if they can get some good value in return. Watson can close and we know NH can build a bullpen.

Regarding the rotation, we have Cole, Liriano and Morton locked up. Locke and Burnett are as good as gone and I hope they can re-sign Happ but I have my doubts. I don't think anyone in the minors will be ready by April so they will need to look to free agency to fill the # 5 spot (and potentially the # 4 spot). I think this will still be a 90 win team next year competing for the division. My worry is that the Cubs are going to sign Price and effectively put us in the WC game for the 4th year in a row.

Sucks to not be able to keep Happ but 3 years for 36 is probably a bit much. I have faith in this organization to convert the next ham and egger into a stud.

Scott boras the ultimate ##### of all a-holes says pirates would be making mistake not signing Alvarez. And his reason....wait for it...because he hit alot of HRs in a park that is hard for lefties to hit HRs in. Hahahahahaha...

Chris Carter can probably be had cheaper than Pedro Alvarez.

I think they want Josh Bell to man 1B after June 1st.

I'm guessing Bell is still a year away but we'll see.
Interested to see how he starts at aaa. I could be wrong, but I think I read he had something like 16 errors at 1B. How is that possible?
So an immediate upgrade over Pedro :excited:
Exactly.

Hard not to get excited about some blue chippers they have in the minors that are almost ready. Bell, Glasnow, and Meadows.

Neil Huntington has done a tremendous job building up the farm.

Pirates looking at Mark Reynolds. They miss Pedro so much they want the right-handed version.

Or maybe Mike Napoli.

Seriously, feel the excitement!

I hate seeing Walker go, but the trade really isn't bad. Niese should be a decent starter. No idea who is going to play 2nd though, at least until Kang gets back (Harrison will go to 2b I assume).

Waiting on the Melancon trade.....

I love Walker, but this is a great trade. Niese is a solid 3-4 starter for the next three years at an affordable price. Walker is only signed for one more year and isn't really a bargain.

Interested to see how he starts at aaa. I could be wrong, but I think I read he had something like 16 errors at 1B. How is that possible?
He has never played the IF before. He has to even learn how to take ground balls. He will get it.

I heard something similar from somebody secondhand who is close with Bell. He apparently loves the Pirates organization and is excited for the call up. Boras may have wanted the spot open for Bell.

I also hear Cole is gone the first chance he has.

Users who are viewing this thread