What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official Pirates 2015 Thread*: We're pretty f--king bitter (1 Viewer)

Gonna clinch on our ####### field.

Seems like more often than not we give up runs in the 1st inning. Really frustrating.

I feel better now about Monday's loss (which was excruciating at the time). We weren't going to sweep the Cards with Morton anyways. Him and Locke rarely even give this team a chance. It's usually over within the first 2 or 3 innings when those 2 pitch. Anyways, now the Buccos can focus on how the hell they're going to hit Arrieta. They also need to win a few games in Cincy so that they don't lose homefield for the WC. That would be devastating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cole pitched a great game today but giving up 2 runs to the Cubs unfortunately will not be good enough. He needs to be perfect plain and simple.

Cole pitched a great game today but giving up 2 runs to the Cubs unfortunately will not be good enough. He needs to be perfect plain and simple.
Cards fans thought the same thing about Kris Medlen back in the 2012 wild card game and it played out to our favor in the end.

You never know when a guy is going to buckle under the pressure... Arrieta has never started a game of this magnitude. Only takes one bad innimg for you guys to get what you need.

Cards fans thought the same thing about Kris Medlen back in the 2012 wild card game and it played out to our favor in the end.

You never know when a guy is going to buckle under the pressure... Arrieta has never started a game of this magnitude. Only takes one bad innimg for you guys to get what you need.
True but he just looks like the type of guy who won't crumble under pressure. I do think the Bucs can win. Cole will pitch a very good game and all it takes is one mistake by Arrieta or the Cubs defense. If I had to bet on the game, I'd go with the Cubs but the Bucs certainly have a shot. Not ready to give up yet.

Good luck guys.

This is gonna hurt(one of us)
Ditto. I'm already on the record saying that I'll be rooting for the Cards to go the whole way if the Bucs don't win the game. This is mainly because what they've done with all of the injuries is nothing short of miraculous. If that doesn't happen, I'm fine jumping on the Cubs bandwagon since they're a very worthy team.

With all the complaining about one team being gone after one game, let's remember that the Cubs would be making tee times for next week under the old rules. #babysteps

With all the complaining about one team being gone after one game, let's remember that the Cubs would be making tee times for next week under the old rules. #babysteps
Yes. Also, the system is intended to be unfair. The one-game playoff is designed to give the top seed an advantage the 2/3 seeds don't get.

Well it looks like after 97 wins we will have to win on last day of the season to get a damn home game, unreal. The sorry @@@ reds coming back to haunt us.

The Cubs play-by-play man (Len Kasper) pointed out an interesting stat. The Pirates had the best out-of-division winning percentage since 1969. They played at an almost .750 clip. No other team is close. However, they were eight games under .500 against teams in the NL Central.

The Cubs play-by-play man (Len Kasper) pointed out an interesting stat. The Pirates had the best out-of-division winning percentage since 1969. They played at an almost .750 clip. No other team is close. However, they were eight games under .500 against teams in the NL Central.
They were terrible against the Reds and Brewers and that's why they get a 1 game playoff against Arrieta (who no team has an answer for).

Jake Arrieta@JArrieta34 19h19 hours ago
Whatever helps keep your hope alive, just know, it doesn't matter. @Cubs

CQgXBxsUcAAlqdU.jpg

Parody_Parrot_ @Pirate_Parrot_Be ready for the sea of black #BlackOut #BUCN #crowdIsGoingToEatYoualive #walkTheplank @JArrieta34

Retweeted

More

Unfortunately I have a bad feeling that the Bucs are going to give up a run or two early thanks to atrocious defense. It's been a recurring theme for them this season so would be a fitting way to end. Why is Wednesday not here yet?

I don't want to see Pedro in the lineup tonight. He hasn't been successful against Arrieta and I just know that his defense will likely cost them the game.

I don't want to see Pedro in the lineup tonight. He hasn't been successful against Arrieta and I just know that his defense will likely cost them the game.
His defense is horrid yes, but he also has that ability to put one out at any time. You need those bats in big games. He has been solid in playoff games in the past.

His defense is horrid yes, but he also has that ability to put one out at any time. You need those bats in big games. He has been solid in playoff games in the past.
He's been terrible against Arrieta and I believe Arrieta hasn't given up a HR in something like his past 400 + batters faced. The probability of Pedro making a game-costing error >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pedro hitting a HR. Bring him in late in the game as a pinch hitter if the situation requires it. They're going to need to have smart at bats to manufacture a run and really won't be able to depend on the long ball. That's how I would manage it at least.

He's been terrible against Arrieta and I believe Arrieta hasn't given up a HR in something like his past 400 + batters faced. The probability of Pedro making a game-costing error >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pedro hitting a HR. Bring him in late in the game as a pinch hitter if the situation requires it. They're going to need to have smart at bats to manufacture a run and really won't be able to depend on the long ball. That's how I would manage it at least.
Most players have been terrible against Arrieta this year. But point taken.

Who would you start at first? Ramirez? He's not great defensively there either. Morse? Not a great bat. Whoever starts you can be sure there will be great debate about it either way.

Most players have been terrible against Arrieta this year. But point taken.

Who would you start at first? Ramirez? He's not great defensively there either. Morse? Not a great bat. Whoever starts you can be sure there will be great debate about it either way.
Yeah they don't have a lot of great options at first. You're probably right that they pretty much have to go Pedro and just say a prayer.

Maybe Sean Rodriquez? But that's completely giving up another potential base runner. It's sad that Pedro so absolutely atrocious in the field that we even need to think about benching him in the most important game of the season.

It's strange but I have a good feeling about tonight. I would put Ramirez at 1st & josh at 3rd. Hope they can pull this out somehow.

It's strange but I have a good feeling about tonight. I would put Ramirez at 1st & josh at 3rd. Hope they can pull this out somehow.
Yeah this could work. Ramirez is bad in the field but still better than Pedro. I would also want to keep Josh's bat in the lineup. I have a hunch Hurdle will go with Pedro and a bigger hunch that it will not end well because of that decision.

fred_1_15301 said:
Maybe Sean Rodriquez? But that's completely giving up another potential base runner. It's sad that Pedro so absolutely atrocious in the field that we even need to think about benching him in the most important game of the season.
Looks like it is Rodriguez. No Ramirez and no Pedro. I guess Hurdle is thinking like I am that the only chance to win tonight is to not make any mistakes on defense. I can't criticize him for this.

Yep. Hoping to keep it close, get to the bullpens and then bring those two in to pinch hit, if needed.

The other thing Hurdle can always do is bring in Pedro or Ramirez early in the game as a pinch hitter if there are men on base with Rodriguez up to bat. You're basically ensuring that Rodriguez is in there for defense in the early innings and that he will only bat if the Pirates are not threatening to score. It's a really smart strategy.

Yeah kind of surprised neither Ramirez or Pedro in lineup but after what you all said I guess it makes sense. An early run by buccos sure would be nice to maybe rattle them a little.

The other thing Hurdle can always do is bring in Pedro or Ramirez early in the game as a pinch hitter if there are men on base with Rodriguez up to bat. You're basically ensuring that Rodriguez is in there for defense in the early innings and that he will only bat if the Pirates are not threatening to score. It's a really smart strategy.
Possibly but then he has no one to put in as a defensive replacement later in the game. I would have gone with Ramirez or Pedro

Actually after thinking about it I hate it, you now have 3 automatic outs 7-8-9. And this is where losing kang is an absolute killer.

So damn nervous for the game tonight. Cant believe with how good they've been the last 3 years, they could potentially only make it past the play-in game once. Gotta face Bumgarner last year and now this year they're going against the unstoppable force in Arrieta. Awful luck.

I don't like it. At least put Morse or Ramirez there.
Lot more contact in there. This game probably comes down to a bloop hit with someone in scoring position. A bunch of automatic K's don't make that happen.
I think Pedro has the only HR (from a Pirate) off Arrieta this year. I could be wrong. Save Rodriguez for a defensive replacement or pinch hitter.

Look none of the options at 1B are ideal so it's a tough call for Hurdle for Hurdle to make. How will you guys feel if Pedro or Ramirez costs this team a run early because of shoddy defense. The Cubs will be throwing out a lot of lefties so there is a good chance that the Pirates 1b will see the ball a lot and may even (*gulp*) have to make a clean throw to second. Rodriguez is a ####ty hitter but in his last 50 games (small sample size only 70+ ABs), he's hit around .350. I don't give Pedro much of a chance at all to even put the ball in play against Arrieta. Ramirez could potentially do something but he's also a double play machine. Morse shouldn't even be in the conversation since he's not very good at anything.

Lot more contact in there. This game probably comes down to a bloop hit with someone in scoring position. A bunch of automatic K's don't make that happen.
I think Pedro has the only HR (from a Pirate) off Arrieta this year. I could be wrong. Save Rodriguez for a defensive replacement or pinch hitter.
Pedro does not have a HR against Arrieta this year. No Pirate has hit a HR against Arrieta this year. Pedro has been abused by Arrieta this year and every other year.

Pedro does not have a HR against Arrieta this year. No Pirate has hit a HR against Arrieta this year.
My mistake. I meant EVER.

Pedro does not have a HR against Arrieta this year. No Pirate has hit a HR against Arrieta this year.
My mistake. I meant EVER.
Ok that may be true but Arrieta is a different pitcher this year than in past years. He seems practically unhittable at this point. I pray that Hurdle has been watching the tapes of him over and over and over for the past week and have maybe found something that they can exploit. They need to change up their overall strategy against him.

Users who are viewing this thread