What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Post-Pujols St. Louis Cardinals Thread (2 Viewers)

So with Freese back, it's Carpenter that sits?
Because Danny Descalso is AWESOME!
Was afraid that might happen. Really can't wrap my head around this guy being viewed as anything more as the last guy off the bench.
LaRussa may be gone but his fetish about no-hit middle infielders remains
Matheny was a no-hit catcher, which pretty much makes him a cousin to no-hit middle infielders everywhere.

So with Freese back, it's Carpenter that sits?
Because Danny Descalso is AWESOME!
Was afraid that might happen. Really can't wrap my head around this guy being viewed as anything more as the last guy off the bench.
LaRussa may be gone but his fetish about no-hit middle infielders remains
Matheny was a no-hit catcher, which pretty much makes him a cousin to no-hit middle infielders everywhere.
plus he's had multiple concussions

I think Descalso hitting over .300 in spring training, plus really god defense at 2B is why Matheny started him today. But, it's one game out of 162 game season. It's not like today was game 162 and they were in a winner ake all situation with the Reds. Give Matheny a break.

I think Descalso hitting over .300 in spring training, plus really god defense at 2B is why Matheny started him today. But, it's one game out of 162 game season. It's not like today was game 162 and they were in a winner ake all situation with the Reds. Give Matheny a break.
I would if Descalso didn't post a .227/.303/.324 line last year with a -0.1 WAR. He's just not that good. Good off the bench, not a starter.

I'm skeptical too, but he did improve at the plate late last year. On the other hand, if Carpenter keeps raking, Descalso will be on the bench permanately!

If Motte ends up being out for the year, they are going to have to find someone that can close. It's looking like Boggs is not the answer. Other than the bullpen so far, this team looks good!

I keep having nightmares in the middle of the night where I'm managing the Cards and need to bring in a reliever. Mitchell Boggs is my last pitcher available....

This is just getting ugly. Not sure how much more I can take of him blowing up every other appearance.

I keep having nightmares in the middle of the night where I'm managing the Cards and need to bring in a reliever. Mitchell Boggs is my last pitcher available....This is just getting ugly. Not sure how much more I can take of him blowing up every other appearance.
We're in a bad spot. Much like we were prior to the Mujica trade last season. Any chance they bring Wacha up to help out?

I keep having nightmares in the middle of the night where I'm managing the Cards and need to bring in a reliever. Mitchell Boggs is my last pitcher available....This is just getting ugly. Not sure how much more I can take of him blowing up every other appearance.
We're in a bad spot. Much like we were prior to the Mujica trade last season. Any chance they bring Wacha up to help out?
Small sample so far in AAA but Wacha has more walks than strikeouts in three starts. Carlos Martinez was really set back by his visa problems and just got his first MiLB appearance in.

Small sample so far in AAA but Wacha has more walks than strikeouts in three starts. Carlos Martinez was really set back by his visa problems and just got his first MiLB appearance in.
Yeah, I'm sure they'd rather him work through things as a starter for a full season in Triple-A, but I'm just looking at guys that have capable MLB bullpen arms. I'm afraid they may have to make a move to get someone from outside of the organization.

Yeah, I'm sure they'd rather him work through things as a starter for a full season in Triple-A, but I'm just looking at guys that have capable MLB bullpen arms. I'm afraid they may have to make a move to get someone from outside of the organization.
Eduardo Sanchez hasn't allowed a run in AAA in 5.2 IP, allowing 1 walk and 4 hits with 4 Ks. Gotta think he'll get a chance soon.

Eduardo Sanchez hasn't allowed a run in AAA in 5.2 IP, allowing 1 walk and 4 hits with 4 Ks. Gotta think he'll get a chance soon.
Good call. He's at least done it before too.

Good call. He's at least done it before too.
He may be more nail-biting than any other Cards reliever with his wildness (he already has 2 wild pitches in AAA this year), but can't hurt at this point. Like you said before, he's done this salsa dance before.

Jon Jay might as well rent a car, drive it to Memphis and hand it off to Oscar Tavares to drive it back to StL
Problem is, I'm not sure Taveras can play a good enough CF to cover for Holliday and Beltran on the corners. Jay can't hit because he's too worried about covering 4/5 of the outfield.

Love seeing Jay play CF but I don't think he will ever be a good hitter. Hopefully Taveras can at least be average in CF. If Jay continues to struggle, I think the Big O will get called up soon.

curta269 said:
Love seeing Jay play CF but I don't think he will ever be a good hitter. Hopefully Taveras can at least be average in CF. If Jay continues to struggle, I think the Big O will get called up soon.
He has a 294/352/408 slash line through 1411 big league PA's. He's already a pretty good hitter for a CF, slow start or not.

curta269 said:
He has a 294/352/408 slash line through 1411 big league PA's. He's already a pretty good hitter for a CF, slow start or not.
Plus Big O is having a slow start himself in AAA.

Boggs and scrabble getting sent down and Mujica closing have been solid moves. This team is really starting to roll. My 20 to 1 for them to win the World Series is starting to look like a possibility!

Garcia was put on the D.L again today, and Boggs is getting called back up. Not sure who will be in the rotation yet, maybe Kelly.

For anyone watching this Brewers/Cards game, some interesting stuff going on with Lohse. He just gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 4th and is super pissed off about something. Came up to bat in the top of the 5th, had some words with Molina, and just stood there for the 1st pitch without even holding the bat up. Struck out and left with more words.

Should be interesting to see what got him all kinds of pissed off but he is clearly upset about something.

Garcia is out for the year now. Westbrook threw in the bullpen today, and he said it didn't go well. Hope Carp makes it back soon. Three rookies in the rotation worries me.

After several days of rampant speculation, the St. Louis Cardinals have made it official and announced that highly touted pitching prospect Michael Wacha will be the starter in Thursday's game against the Royals.

The Cardinals initially appeared reluctant to call upon Wacha just yet. But with injuries to Jake Westbrook, Jaime Garcia and John Gast -- not to mention Chris Carpenter -- the options to add to the big-league club had grown thin.

Wacha, a 21-year-old right-hander, was drafted in the first round (19th overall) out of Texas A&M last June. Since then, he has dominated the minors. In 21 innings last season, ranging from Rookie ball to Double-A, Wacha had a 0.86 ERA, 0.57 WHIP and 40 strikeouts in 21 innings. In nine starts for Triple-A Memphis this season, Wacha is 4-0 with a 2.05 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and 34 strikeouts in 52 2/3 innings. Note that this comes in the notoriously hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, too.

Wacha was the 76th-ranked prospect in baseball by Baseball America this spring, but his outstanding performance in Triple-A means he'd have leapfrogged plenty of players since then
:excited:

Boggs and Marte doing their best to ruin Wacha's solid debut. Well done, #######s.
As a Pirates fan, thanks Mike Matheny.

As someone who owns Trevor Rosenthal, WTF? I mean turning to Boggs when Rosenthal should be available - unless I am missing something - is pretty stupid.

Good news. Boggs got sent back down to the minors again. Hope they leave him down there this time. Imagine their record if he hadn't pitched for them this year.

Boggs and Marte doing their best to ruin Wacha's solid debut. Well done, #######s.
As a Pirates fan, thanks Mike Matheny.

As someone who owns Trevor Rosenthal, WTF? I mean turning to Boggs when Rosenthal should be available - unless I am missing something - is pretty stupid.
Rosenthal had thrown four straight days. Two in games, and two warming up to come in a game that he was never brought into. Weak managing there as well.

Marte is so painful to watch. Once again, I don't understand these kinds of decisions when you have better options to go with (Choate).

Marte is so painful to watch. Once again, I don't understand these kinds of decisions when you have better options to go with (Choate).
Sounds like they may need to bring someone up for tonight and Marte might get sent down again. I can't believe they have the best record in baseball with all these moves to the pitching staff they have had to make. Really shows are good their farm system is now.

Nice road trip so far at 4-2. This team is just rolling!

Westbrook is back tomorrow against Miami. Not sure between Wacha and Lyons on who gets bumped from the rotation.

Nice Slam by Craig last night!! I was worried when they were down 4-0, but they seem to have the Reds number this year.

Wish they would pick up another SP, but it sounds like Mo is going with what they have now.

I like Wong's speed. Hope he starts hitting like he did in the minors.

Cards acquire RHP John Axford from Brewers for basically a wet sock (PTBNL).

Interesting fact: He's got a problem with HRs, but has only given up 4 homers in parks not named Miller or Great American in his entire career.

What a run.

Win tomorrow or Braves loss and home field locked up throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty amazing.

Someone refresh my memory: if the Cards lose tomorrow and the Braves win, do the Braves get home field via a tiebreaker?

Users who are viewing this thread