What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Protest-RIOT Thread*** Police Officers fleeing Seattle and urban areas. (1 Viewer)

Before the riot was declared, Portland police said "multiple flares and other incendiaries" were thrown over the fence surrounding the courthouse, which resulted in fires. Source ABC news.  So other than grandmaw's throwing bombs portland is a great place to live.
So based on your earlier comments about Minn it sounds like you’ll be leaving soon since it’s such an awful place to live and all.  Where you headed?  What crime free red state will you be going?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I'm kind of surprised that the OP or Supermike haven't tried to bolster their claims with some carefully-edited videos from right-wing-bloggers posing as freelance journalists.
Which claim? That this board will deny there is an issue in Portland or Chicago?  Read the thread dude. Already happened.  I don't need a video.

Ignoring all they hyperbole and exaggerations, you ask a lot of questions that could take days to unwrap, but for the most part, these are local issues to be handled by local officials.  That's the way this country works.  I find it odd that people who are supposedly for "smaller government" are now insisting on unConstitutional government overreach.  I don't understand that line of thinking and I don't think I'm really interested in understanding it.  It's simply wrong.  So when we're asking why Pelosi or Biden or whoever isn't doing something, the simple answer is, "it isn't their job".  Chicago's been a warzone for years through GOP controlled and DEM controlled federal governments.  If you ask this question of a GOP controlled federal government in the past, you'd get the answer I just gave you and they'd be correct.  It's not until now that the federal government has decided its ok to operate as a police state violating the independence of states from the federal government.  It isn't their place.  These are all local issues that the local citizenry will have to take responsibility for by using their power of the vote.  This has always been the case.  
Wait, I thought everything was good and wonderful?  I'm confused.  What is there to fix?

Ignoring all they hyperbole and exaggerations, you ask a lot of questions that could take days to unwrap, but for the most part, these are local issues to be handled by local officials.  That's the way this country works.  I find it odd that people who are supposedly for "smaller government" are now insisting on unConstitutional government overreach.  I don't understand that line of thinking and I don't think I'm really interested in understanding it.  It's simply wrong.  So when we're asking why Pelosi or Biden or whoever isn't doing something, the simple answer is, "it isn't their job".  Chicago's been a warzone for years through GOP controlled and DEM controlled federal governments.  If you ask this question of a GOP controlled federal government in the past, you'd get the answer I just gave you and they'd be correct.  It's not until now that the federal government has decided its ok to operate as a police state violating the independence of states from the federal government.  It isn't their place.  These are all local issues that the local citizenry will have to take responsibility for by using their power of the vote.  This has always been the case.  
That's way to smart of an answer...

Wait, I thought everything was good and wonderful?  I'm confused.  What is there to fix?
Nobody made any reference to Chicago in the thread above.  The comments have been about Seattle and Portland from people that live there.

There are two separate issues here.  The protests which are 99.9% peaceful and gun violence in Chicago.  And yes gun violence in Chicago is bad and the City needs to be figure out how to address it.

Nobody made any reference to Chicago in the thread above.  The comments have been about Seattle and Portland from people that live there.

There are two separate issues here.  The protests which are 99.9% peaceful and gun violence in Chicago.  And yes gun violence in Chicago is bad and the City needs to be figure out how to address it.
From the OP's Post:

"Portland is a disaster because of weak leadership, parts of Chicago are like the Wild West"

From the OP's Post:

"Portland is a disaster because of weak leadership, parts of Chicago are like the Wild West"
Sorry nobody commented on chicago being good or bad minus the OP.  

You've chosen to smear everything and not even listen to people that live in Seattle and Portland. 

From the other thread about this same topic:

They should deny Trump his stage for this. It's tempting, but he's fishing and they are biting. 
you are probably right, but it's funny, my first thought was to reply (sarcastically) to the OP that the the democrats are using rope a dope tactics

and trump fell for it and stepped in it

I think it's pretty clear there are some issues.  You have to be pretty dense to suggest otherwise.  Sadly, given history, I don't know if this is honest or just ignorant :pokey:   In case it's honest, I'll simply suggest that there are issues and they need to be addressed locally and by the citizens of the area.

Detroit has avoided the everyday protests but the shootings and crime is way up this summer.   Every weekend 1-2K people who are partying shut down main streets in the city for a block party knowing the police will show up but do nothing.  Vehicles drag racing, doing doughnuts in intersections with police sitting there ,guns fired in the air.  Kind of surreal.

Oh, and it should be painfully obvious that providing perspective of how widespread something is <> saying it doesn't exist.  It's funny that the "hey, our media is terrible and blow everything out of proportion" guys are also the "hey, the media says it's bad and you providing information to the contrary is trying to say it doesn't exist at all" guys.  Can't make this #### up :lmao:  

This is blowing me away watching what is going on right now and actually thinking about not voting blue for the first time.  Portland is a disaster because of weak leadership, parts of Chicago are like the Wild West, Seattle is out of control.  Why is this not condemned and controlled by local leaders and officials?

Crime is soaring everywhere and our Dem leaders like Pelosi and Biden are not saying anything.  I don`t understand.  Nobody I know whatever your affiliation is wants this type of mass uncontrolled crime and chaos like what is going on in our cities. AOC is supposed to be a leader and yet she says nothing about what is going on.  Who on the Dem side is going to step up?

The Chicago PD leader is begging for federal assistance and help to control the violence as young are getting shot everyday.  If this keeps up this election year may not turn out as we thought.   
LOL who here said no one would agree with you?   Who I say??

Well, Boots...so there was one.   

Actually a couple of people including myself said gun violence in Chicago is bad and needs to be dealt with

I'll finish with what you like to argue with so much....lol

Right...Everything in Portland and Chicago is beautiful and wonderful  Nothing to see there from these first hand counts.  Righttttt.....
Can you please point me to the city or cities that have no crime or problems? I would really like to move there. TIA

Why does having a certain number of people agreeing with you matter? This forum is almost entirely older white men who make more than average money, going by the various forum censuses that have taken place. Demographically this forum should be more conservative than the US population average, the fact that most people are not agreeing with you doesn't necessarily mean it is biased. You could just be wrong. 

Actually a couple of people including myself said gun violence in Chicago is bad and needs to be dealt with
I agree. Strange how now 100 days before election and after seeing how badly he is doing in the polls, President Trump after 3 and half years picks this time to deal with it.

Why does having a certain number of people agreeing with you matter? This forum is almost entirely older white men who make more than average money, going by the various forum censuses that have taken place. Demographically this forum should be (and probably is) more conservative than the US population average, the fact that it isn't doesn't necessarily mean it is biased. You could just be wrong. 
You should believe him over the people that live there because hes never been there and reads breitbart

Why does having a certain number of people agreeing with you matter? This forum is almost entirely older white men who make more than average money, going by the various forum censuses that have taken place. Demographically this forum should be (and probably is) more conservative than the US population average, the fact that most people are not agreeing with you doesn't necessarily mean it is biased. You could just be wrong. 
No it doesn't matter even a little.  Was just an observation

I agree. Strange how now 100 days before election and after seeing how badly he is doing in the polls, President Trump after 3 and half years picks this time to deal with it.
And even stranger trumpers want the federal government solving these issues for cities

Can hardly wait for the feds to roll into Tulsa to enforce climate change laws

This forum is almost entirely older white men who make more than average money, going by the various forum censuses that have taken place.
As a caveat to my post from a few minutes ago that has already been quoted so I don't want to change the content much: The forum is less religious and significantly more educated than the average population as well, so that is a factor I did not include above. Not that it changes the overall message.

I mean.....this is where I live.  It's wonderful and beautiful.  It's part of why I have chosen to live here for 25 years.  Should I be alarmed by something I don't know about?  Do you live here?  What's the matter?
I visited once.  Drove down from Seattle.  Unfortunately our 2 day trip was cut short by a day.  I liked what little we got to see.  Which unfortunately wasn't much.  

Or you’ll get first hand experience from people who live there...... 
I thought anecdotal evidence doesn't count?

So now it does? Asking for a friend.

Just want to know if we should ignore all the videos actually showing the violence and what's happening?

BladeRunner said:
I thought anecdotal evidence doesn't count?

So now it does? Asking for a friend.

Just want to know if we should ignore all the videos actually showing the violence and what's happening?
Hey according to someone who actually lives there, he knows nothing about this at all.   

Hey according to someone who actually lives there, he knows nothing about this at all.   
It's a self-serving post, that's for sure.  I'm sure I could find a nice safe spot in Portland somewhere and proclaim that there's no violence.

There's actual videos out there of what's actually going on from people who are actually on the scene.  but we're supposed to ignore all that because some limousine liberal drove downtown to a safe space and proclaimed the entire city safe.  Then drove back to his gated community in his Prius and turned on Rachel maddow to confirm everything he saw was true.

boots11234 said:
Before the riot was declared, Portland police said "multiple flares and other incendiaries" were thrown over the fence surrounding the courthouse, which resulted in fires. Source ABC news.  So other than grandmaw's throwing bombs portland is a great place to live.
This just might be a bit of a shock to your system, so I'd ask that you read this sitting down.

Ready?

There's actually a lot more to the Portland metro area than the downtown courthouse.  I know, I know....take all the time you need to recover.  

killface said:
I live up in capital hill and even when the protest zone existed it was actually kind of nice.  Streets were closed and it was much quieter than usual.  easier to walk around and get around by bike.  Crime was actually down during that period too because there were so many people out and about.
So you weren't raped and/or pooped on?

Honest question...why do you come here.

You complain about the board here and on another board...you complain about the moderation and owners...yet you keep coming back and commenting about how bad it is or no discussion here.  And rarely is it in a way that adds to any discussion.  So why even do it?  You want it to be better...add to the discussion with something constructive rather than always complaining and tearing it and others down.
Thanks Sho, I appreciate your thoughts.

This just might be a bit of a shock to your system, so I'd ask that you read this sitting down.

Ready?

There's actually a lot more to the Portland metro area than the downtown courthouse.  I know, I know....take all the time you need to recover.  
So just to be clear, there is no violence going on at all according to you?  We should ignore all video evidence and listen to some guy who drove down there, spent 5 minutes in his safe space and declared the city violence free?

supermike80 said:
I visited once.  Drove down from Seattle.  Unfortunately our 2 day trip was cut short by a day.  I liked what little we got to see.  Which unfortunately wasn't much.  
You should come back.  I'll give you a ton of things to see and do.  Let me know the sorts of things you like to do and I'll load you up with ideas. :thumbup:

So just to be clear, there is no violence going on at all according to you?  We should ignore all video evidence and listen to some guy who drove down there, spent 5 minutes in his safe space and declared the city violence free?
No he just said he hasn't heard about it.

That's what you certainly implied.

Ignoring the protest violence doesn't make it non-existent.
Nope, I never implied that there was no violence going on at all.

I could really do without all the police violence, the beating of citizens, the teargassing.  I don't condone the Feds coming into our city and violently attacking our very fine people.  Also very bothered by the police murdering people who are pleading for their lives.  Could live without that.  :thumbup:

Gee, Trumpers sure do have it tough around here.  A person should be able to throw around opinions for which there's little foundation or personal experience without being piled on by those who require more than feelings and minimalist anecdotes.  They should also be able to attack strawmen arguments that no one is making so their own argument appears to hold water.  Buncha pesky libs and their reasonable debate standards.  

Right.  Understood.  You haven't heard about any of it or seen any of it and you live there.  We understand.  You certainly cannot be expected to comment on something you don't know even exists.
Have seen the cops tear gas soccer moms.  Could have done without that.  But, looking outside my window right now, I see no violence.  Shall I take a picture?  

About to go pick some wild blackberries.....hopefully I don't get raped and/or pooped on!

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
Have seen the cops tear gas soccer moms.  Could have done without that.  But, looking outside my window right now, I see no violence.  Shall I take a picture?  

About to go pick some wild blackberries.....hopefully I don't get raped and/or pooped on!
Are you wearing kevlar to go get these berries?

Another local's POV

Uhhhmmm maybe.  But it's a sh!thole down there... was before this all happened because PDX has let the crazy homeless "urban camp"... sh!t, piss, puke on all the sidewalks... garbage everywhere... gotta walk through "camps"... f#@% going downtown PDX...  we never do.

Maybe I'll talk the wife into strolling for Saturday Market and see whats up.

Most of it centered around the State LE building... then across the park to the Fed Justice Center... and really... all the businesses in a 6 block area have windows smashed out and board up...

Users who are viewing this thread