What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Protest-RIOT Thread*** Police Officers fleeing Seattle and urban areas. (2 Viewers)

Have seen the cops tear gas soccer moms.  Could have done without that.  But, looking outside my window right now, I see no violence.  Shall I take a picture?  

About to go pick some wild blackberries.....hopefully I don't get raped and/or pooped on!
You said you hadn't heard about the issues in Portland, I assumed(shame on me) that you were referring to more than just what you could see in your yard.  And I'm very sorry to hear you had to witness cops tear gassing soccer moms right outside your window.  That really is horrible.  

You said you hadn't heard about the issues in Portland, I assumed(shame on me) that you were referring to more than just what you could see in your yard.  And I'm very sorry to hear you had to witness cops tear gassing soccer moms right outside your window.  That really is horrible.  
Still not what I said.  I have heard that the police and the feds have been very violent towards our citizens.  Pretty sad!

Still not what I said.  I have heard that the police and the feds have been very violent towards our citizens.  Pretty sad!
Im sorry..You posted this:

I mean.....this is where I live.  It's wonderful and beautiful.  It's part of why I have chosen to live here for 25 years.  Should I be alarmed by something I don't know about?  Do you live here?  What's the matter?

And I assumed "something I didn't know about" meant you didn't know about it.  My bad

Im sorry..You posted this:

I mean.....this is where I live.  It's wonderful and beautiful.  It's part of why I have chosen to live here for 25 years.  Should I be alarmed by something I don't know about?  Do you live here?  What's the matter?

And I assumed "something I didn't know about" meant you didn't know about it.  My bad
I'm learning about all the police and fed violence unleashed on our citizens.  SAD!

BladeRunner said:
I thought anecdotal evidence doesn't count?

So now it does? Asking for a friend.

Just want to know if we should ignore all the videos actually showing the violence and what's happening?
Hey according to someone who actually lives there, he knows nothing about this at all.   
Wow who’s distorting who’s words now. Hyperbole much?

I’m not sure I count multiple first-hand witnesses as anecdotal but I also never claimed that it was the full picture. Clearly some of the videos online are legit. But that’s exactly my point, Based on multiple first-hand witnesses of people who live there it’s not with the OP was suggesting and some crazy lawless city. But it’s also clearly not a peaceful situation that’s perfect. There’s clearly unrest and some stupid people doing some stupid ####. But that doesn’t make it what the OP was trying to claim it is or what you Mike would like to act like it is.  

Everyone wants to make everything black or white now, left versus right, libs versus conservatives; but as usual it’s far more complicated than that and usually somewhere in the middle. 

Wow who’s distorting who’s words now. Hyperbole much?

I’m not sure I count multiple first-hand witnesses as anecdotal but I also never claimed that it was the full picture. Clearly some of the videos online are legit. But that’s exactly my point, Based on multiple first-hand witnesses of people who live there it’s not with the OP was suggesting and some crazy lawless city. But it’s also clearly not a peaceful situation that’s perfect. There’s clearly unrest and some stupid people doing some stupid ####. But that doesn’t make it what the OP was trying to claim it is or what you Mike would like to act like it is.  

Everyone wants to make everything black or white now, left versus right, libs versus conservatives; but as usual it’s far more complicated than that and usually somewhere in the middle. 
Hey i was just referring to the guy(not you) who said he hadn't heard of anything--but I guess now he has.  So I don't know anymore.  I want off this ride.

Another local's POV

Uhhhmmm maybe.  But it's a sh!thole down there... was before this all happened because PDX has let the crazy homeless "urban camp"... sh!t, piss, puke on all the sidewalks... garbage everywhere... gotta walk through "camps"... f#@% going downtown PDX...  we never do.

Maybe I'll talk the wife into strolling for Saturday Market and see whats up.

Most of it centered around the State LE building... then across the park to the Fed Justice Center... and really... all the businesses in a 6 block area have windows smashed out and board up...
Homelessness in Portland, and dozens of major cities across the country, is a major national issue due to a lack of affordable house and a lack of mental healthcare resources. 

It's a self-serving post, that's for sure.  I'm sure I could find a nice safe spot in Portland somewhere and proclaim that there's no violence.

There's actual videos out there of what's actually going on from people who are actually on the scene.  but we're supposed to ignore all that because some limousine liberal drove downtown to a safe space and proclaimed the entire city safe.  Then drove back to his gated community in his Prius and turned on Rachel maddow to confirm everything he saw was true.
I don’t event want to attempt to account for the numbers of assumptions in this post.  But hey you saw some videos so I guess there’s all the proof you need.  

So asking for a friend, do we believe everything we see now online or in the news as the full picture of things or not?  Thanks

After 50 nights of protesting maybe a new direction is needed.  Instead of just standing around why can`t the protest be centered about different areas of improvement in the cities as well?  One night take 100 protesters and clean a blighted area with cable news watching.  Make it a contribution protest.  When 500-1000 people are standing around for 7-8 hours that is a ton of wasted potential manpower that could actually help the city and the cause at the same time.  Every night target different areas of protest/improvement zones and let it be known so it can be covered by the media.   Work hand in hand with local law enforcement and develop more of a bond of trust.  Get Home Depot and Lowes on board to provide what is needed to make the cites more beautiful and peaceful as well.

Pipe dream? 

All I can say is that Trump mentioned Philadelphia as a place to send the national guard.

Thing is, no one is looting here. It's been fine for over a month now, only the first few weeks of protests had violence/looting.

FEAR FEAR FEAR

It's the only card Trump has left to play.

After 50 nights of protesting maybe a new direction is needed.  Instead of just standing around why can`t the protest be centered about different areas of improvement in the cities as well?  One night take 100 protesters and clean a blighted area with cable news watching.  Make it a contribution protest.  When 500-1000 people are standing around for 7-8 hours that is a ton of wasted potential manpower that could actually help the city and the cause at the same time.  Every night target different areas of protest/improvement zones and let it be known so it can be covered by the media.   Work hand in hand with local law enforcement and develop more of a bond of trust.  Get Home Depot and Lowes on board to provide what is needed to make the cites more beautiful and peaceful as well.

Pipe dream? 
It's a nice idea, but would kind of defeat the point of the protest.

There's a reason people fill up busy streets and highways when protesting. To be an annoyance, an obstacle.

The idea being that eventually the powers that be will listen to what they're saying, if for no other reason than getting those people to stop protesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another local's POV

Uhhhmmm maybe.  But it's a sh!thole down there... was before this all happened because PDX has let the crazy homeless "urban camp"... sh!t, piss, puke on all the sidewalks... garbage everywhere... gotta walk through "camps"... f#@% going downtown PDX...  we never do.

Maybe I'll talk the wife into strolling for Saturday Market and see whats up.

Most of it centered around the State LE building... then across the park to the Fed Justice Center... and really... all the businesses in a 6 block area have windows smashed out and board up...
Say it isn’t so!  We were told just right here in this thread that it’s all a lie. These are soccer moms, Medal of Honor winning navy vets, memaws knitting and grandpas playing cribbage getting gassed. Perhaps you could take a pick of the excrement or someone in the act of defecating as proof. Otherwise I will believe the kind gentlemen who while injured drove down there and sat in his safe space confirming there is nothing to see but folks picking blueberries. 

Pipe dream? 
Maybe a treadmill that feeds into the electric grid

killface said:
Just to point out as well that as  PNW resident Portland and Seattle are some of the most desirable cities in the country to live in. People love it here and people want to move here. 

Contrary to the original post.  
Its all relative......most Oregon natives I know don't want to live in Portland based on a variety of reasons.......not least of which, there has been a large population influx over the last decade plus, and the traffic has gotten bad....not Seattle bad, but much worse.....BUT, if you're coming from say Chicago, LA, or SF, Portland prolly seems great.

Its all relative......most Oregon natives I know don't want to live in Portland based on a variety of reasons.......not least of which, there has been a large population influx over the last decade plus, and the traffic has gotten bad....not Seattle bad, but much worse.....BUT, if you're coming from say Chicago, LA, or SF, Portland prolly seems great.
Absolutely...I am one of those people lamenting the influx of people from the central parts of this country :)

I'm back, msudaisy.  It wasn't easy, but I'm here.  I first want to thank you for your prayers for my safety.  They were probably the deciding force in getting me back to my office safely.  

It was chaos out there, boys and girls.  I won't lie.  First, as I was reaching for my first ripened blackberry of the summer, I spied a bee about 45 yards due south.  And while it didn't poop on nor rape me, I did catch a sinister glance in my general direction.  Startled, but undaunted, I pressed further into the thickets.  As I located another promising patch of Portland's sweet, natural treats, I saw something rustling in the scraggly bushes to my immediate left.  I paused, stood motionless and waited.  I heard a 'whhhssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhing' sound and thought "OH MY GOD, SNAKE!" but as I continued in my statuesque pose, I made the determination that it was something my local media sources have opted to call "wind".  I know, I know I can just see Boots and Blade and Supermark behind their keyboards now, ready to type out in all caps "FAKE NEWS!".  

Onward I pressed, pulse racing, senses on high alert for the rampant violence that has saturated our city.  Again, I reached out to collect some fresh blackberries and on my 3rd attempt, I was.....look, there's no gentle way to say this so I'm just going to say this....I was scratched by a thorn.  I'll pause here as you collect your thoughts.  

I don't know how I move on from this.  How many more scratches from thorns are our people to suffer before law and order is restored?  How many more bees should we allow in our airspace before we are rescued from Mr. Trump?  When will the wind end with our mental torture?  I for one am not going to sit idly by anymore and do nothing.  This is a call to action.  This is a call to arms.  Why won't our ineffectual Dem leaders do something????? 

The Commish said:
Ignoring all they hyperbole and exaggerations, you ask a lot of questions that could take days to unwrap, but for the most part, these are local issues to be handled by local officials.  That's the way this country works.  I find it odd that people who are supposedly for "smaller government" are now insisting on unConstitutional government overreach.  I don't understand that line of thinking and I don't think I'm really interested in understanding it.  It's simply wrong.  So when we're asking why Pelosi or Biden or whoever isn't doing something, the simple answer is, "it isn't their job".  Chicago's been a warzone for years through GOP controlled and DEM controlled federal governments.  If you ask this question of a GOP controlled federal government in the past, you'd get the answer I just gave you and they'd be correct.  It's not until now that the federal government has decided its ok to operate as a police state violating the independence of states from the federal government.  It isn't their place.  These are all local issues that the local citizenry will have to take responsibility for by using their power of the vote.  This has always been the case.  
I tend to agree with this.....I also believe that the local leadership in these cities tends to be ineffectual in dealing with these situations......peaceful protesting is great.....violence and property destruction is not.....there has been a huge pass given to the criminal element in all of this based on local gubs being scared of the SJW mob.

I tend to agree with this.....I also believe that the local leadership in these cities tends to be ineffectual in dealing with these situations......peaceful protesting is great.....violence and property destruction is not.....there has been a huge pass given to the criminal element in all of this based on local gubs being scared of the SJW mob.
Perhaps...It could also be that the "huge pass" is a perception presented by the media looking for some sensationally driven clicks too, right?  I can't tell anyone here what the national media is saying about this.  It isn't covered on my local news at all (why should it be?) and I don't see it covered on BBC or Reuters all that much.  Perhaps what you are being presented (if you're following the events via our "news" media outlets isn't actually accurate?  It was suggested above and dismissed....maybe it shouldn't be?

Summer Wheat said:
This is blowing me away watching what is going on right now and actually thinking about not voting blue for the first time.  Portland is a disaster because of weak leadership, parts of Chicago are like the Wild West, Seattle is out of control.  Why is this not condemned and controlled by local leaders and officials?
As far as I know,  for Chicago and Portland, the mayors are trying to get the DHS, Border Patrol, and other federal agents to stop inflicting violence on their citizens.  They have asked their governors and state senators for support, but it appears the Feds won't leave.  Attacking US citizens should be the rallying call both sides can unite behind - I'm surprised we haven't seen the "right to reopen" folks bring their weapons out to protect their fellow citizens against the incredible over-reach by the federal government.   More and more retired military are speaking out against this unconstitutional action.  I've never seen such weak leadership coming from the executive branch.  

I’m from MN and all boots stated is complete and utter bull crap. 
My wife was born and raised there.  Her entire huge family still lives all over Minn and she just spent 3 weeks on vacation there with our 5 year old daughter.  While I know some stupid ugly #### is going on I also know it’s not lawless and crime ridden.

I’m from MN and all boots stated is complete and utter bull crap. 
Wow jobber, your head is in the sand.  Go down to powder horn park.   Home Share 4.7k National Violence rises in Minneapolis, as debate over role of police rages  dont tell me its crap.  I can find story after story of this.  In addition I have strong ties to MPD and I can assure you it is bad on the south and north sides.  

snip - As of last Thursday, camps could be found in 38 parks in the city and Powderhorn Park alone has about 560 tents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer Wheat said:
This is blowing me away watching what is going on right now and actually thinking about not voting blue for the first time.  Portland is a disaster because of weak leadership, parts of Chicago are like the Wild West, Seattle is out of control.  Why is this not condemned and controlled by local leaders and officials?

Crime is soaring everywhere and our Dem leaders like Pelosi and Biden are not saying anything.  I don`t understand.  Nobody I know whatever your affiliation is wants this type of mass uncontrolled crime and chaos like what is going on in our cities. AOC is supposed to be a leader and yet she says nothing about what is going on.  Who on the Dem side is going to step up?

The Chicago PD leader is begging for federal assistance and help to control the violence as young are getting shot everyday.  If this keeps up this election year may not turn out as we thought.   
Different cities; completely different dynamics.  Speaking about Chicago, where I've lived for four decades since grad school (in the city and mostly in the near-west suburb bordering the high crime Austin neighborhood):

The issues in Chicago -

1) Gang dynamics of the last decade or more.   We used to have a few super-gangs controlling drugs and crime in different parts of the city.  Over the years, those gangs were busted up.  So now we have "micro"-gangs ...much smaller gangs controlling much smaller turfs, which leads to more contact points - and friction points - with other gangs.  Ironically, the gangs no longer have accepted standards of conduct.  I'd argue, for example, that the idea of shooting up folks leaving a funeral service, as recently happened, would not have been tolerated 20-30 years ago by the gangs.  That would have been "bad for business."

2) Social media.  Gangs use social media to inflame the tensions and, and the violence is an effort to right the perceived wrongs committed there.

3) Guns.  Too much collateral damage is occurring because of the advanced weaponry of the gangs ...pull a trigger and send a spray of bullets all around.  Hitting your target is optional.  This is a federal issue of gun control.  Yeah I went there.

I don't see how sending in federal troops helps the situation, other than magnifying the "police state."  Send in more teachers; send in more social workers (elements of defunding the police) ...address the root causes of education and opportunity.  Even with effort, it could take a generation to adequately improve things.  

Different cities; completely different dynamics.  Speaking about Chicago, where I've lived for four decades since grad school (in the city and mostly in the near-west suburb bordering the high crime Austin neighborhood):

The issues in Chicago -

1) Gang dynamics of the last decade or more.   We used to have a few super-gangs controlling drugs and crime in different parts of the city.  Over the years, those gangs were busted up.  So now we have "micro"-gangs ...much smaller gangs controlling much smaller turfs, which leads to more contact points - and friction points - with other gangs.  Ironically, the gangs no longer have accepted standards of conduct.  I'd argue, for example, that the idea of shooting up folks leaving a funeral service, as recently happened, would not have been tolerated 20-30 years ago by the gangs.  That would have been "bad for business."

2) Social media.  Gangs use social media to inflame the tensions and, and the violence is an effort to right the perceived wrongs committed there.

3) Guns.  Too much collateral damage is occurring because of the advanced weaponry of the gangs ...pull a trigger and send a spray of bullets all around.  Hitting your target is optional.  This is a federal issue of gun control.  Yeah I went there.

I don't see how sending in federal troops helps the situation, other than magnifying the "police state."  Send in more teachers; send in more social workers (elements of defunding the police) ...address the root causes of education and opportunity.  Even with effort, it could take a generation to adequately improve things.  
Send in more Fathers.  That is the root cause of gangs.  No dads.

Wow jobber, your head is in the sand.  Go down to powder horn park.   Home Share 4.7k National Violence rises in Minneapolis, as debate over role of police rages  dont tell me its crap.  I can find story after story of this.  In addition I have strong ties to MPD and I can assure you it is bad on the south and north sides.  

snip - As of last Thursday, camps could be found in 38 parks in the city and Powderhorn Park alone has about 560 tents.
Can you tell your strong ties to MPD to stop murdering black men who are pleading for their lives?  Seems like they need to eat a lot of the blame for what's got you all hot and bothered.  Thanks!

All I can say is that Trump mentioned Philadelphia as a place to send the national guard.

Thing is, no one is looting here. 
Yeah but then again you’ve got Eagles and Philly fans and apparently even Santa Claus isn’t safe. So I can see the reasoning in this case. 

Its good to know the 2nd amendment is alive and well so we can all protect ourselves when the un-badged jackbooted fascist thugs come for us.

The only reason this is even a thing right now is because it’s all the Republicans and Trump have left. They’re going to get absolutely thrashed in November and they know it. They’re staring disaster in the face, they can’t even get their act together on renewing the $600 per week payments (and if they don’t there’s going to be a revolt, including among their own base) and now it looks like the convention’s going to be cancelled. Trump is losing in Florida by 13 points!!! 
So they’re trying to pretend it’s 1968 and they’re talking law and order. It won’t help them. They’ve created this mess and now they’re going to be punished for it. 

What violence?  Apparently we have posters looking out their front window and seeing nothing.  All Clear!

• Laughing
Reactions: rct
What violence?  Apparently we have posters looking out their front window and seeing nothing.  All Clear!
I’ve fully admitted that there is violence. I’ve fully admitted that those people should be arrested and prosecuted.  However, they are the small minority of overall protesters.  

Can you tell your strong ties to MPD to stop murdering black men who are pleading for their lives?  Seems like they need to eat a lot of the blame for what's got you all hot and bothered.  Thanks!
Are you alone in the hole in the sand?  Or do you have anyone with you?

I mean, you went to pick berries in downtown portland and saw no violence whatsoever.  There clearly is none based on your interaction with the berries.

I’ve fully admitted that there is violence. I’ve fully admitted that those people should be arrested and prosecuted.  However, they are the small minority of overall protesters.  
That's what you guys always say when your side is destroying stuff, assaulting and murdering people and burning the place down.  

I know it makes you feel better, but the reality is it's much more than a "small minority".  I mean, they took over a 6 square block for the love of God (for starters).  

Jesus, how deep does this willful ignorance go with you guys?  Seriously? 

Users who are viewing this thread