What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Ok WTF is a Fetty Wap and why do I hear it on the radio?

My 11 year old daughter asked me not to turn the station when its song came on this morning

Holy #### it was horrible! Is that what todays rap is?

I have feel like I have failed as a father because my daughter likes that ####.

If that is what rap has evolved to I am ashamed that I ever liked it
Man, I tried to tell you guys earlier in the thread, STAY AWAY FROM THAT S###. This new wave of rap (Fetty/Future/Young Thug) will do nothing but make you question your personal tastes. It's unquestionably the single worst fad to ever develop from hip hop. These dbags make Lil B and SouljaBoy look like Nas.
"Oh the way Glenn Miller played..."

I'm listening to the new Dr. Dre. album now. It's definitely no 2001. There isn't even one song that can be considered on par with some of the hits on that album.

I'm listening to the new Dr. Dre. album now. It's definitely no 2001. There isn't even one song that can be considered on par with some of the hits on that album.
It's so bad. I can't believe there are any positive reviews out there.

Ok WTF is a Fetty Wap and why do I hear it on the radio?

My 11 year old daughter asked me not to turn the station when its song came on this morning

Holy #### it was horrible! Is that what today’s rap is?

I have feel like I have failed as a father because my daughter likes that ####.

If that is what rap has “evolved” to I am ashamed that I ever liked it
I'm pretty old school, but open minded to the new stuff as well. I can see why Fetty is making hits, and he's hitting the target market with your 11 year old. I can't really stomach it, though.

If I'm honest, I can dig the melody of the one song I've heard by him (Trap Queen), but that's probably all on his producer - not him. After one listen, that's enough for me. The lyrical skill of many rappers is just horrendous.

These major record companies are selling an image - not music. You could have sheep bleating over a catchy looped hook and it would sell. And the sheep would be richer than us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Rakim perform at a small bar last night in Denver (max capacity 500). It was amazing to see the godfather of modern rap in such an intimate setting. He put on a great show. Here is a picture I took from my spot in the front row.

I'm 32 years old now, and I started listening to rap in 1994 back when I was in sixth grade. It was the golden age of rap with 2Pac, Biggie, Outkast, Nas, and Wu Tang being some of my early favorite rappers. Eric B & Rakim mostly preceded my time, and I never owned any of their albums growing up. It wasn't until my freshman year of college when Napster was in its prime that I downloaded the whole "Paid in Full" album. I always respected Rakim as one of the all-time greats, but I don't think I fully understood how revolutionary and groundbreaking he was because I lacked that historical perspective of the pre-Rakim rap era. It wasn't until I was prepping for this show that I started comparing Rakim's style to those of some his contemporaries (i.e., Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc.) and seeing just how revolutionary his flow and rhyme schemes were at that time and how simplistic and elementary he made his peers' style seem by comparison. Rakim changed the game with "Paid in Full." All of my favorite rappers growing up stood on the shoulders of Rakim. I feel lucky that I had the chance to see one of the all-time greats that truly revolutionized a genre of music.
A guy I knew once described Rakim as "the first rapper that made you care what the rapper was actually saying". Rakim and a few others were definitely instrumental in ushering in the "new school".
Was back in '88, but to this day was one of the best concerts of my life, headlined by Erik B & Rakim:

Biz Markie (was pretty mellow)

BDP (throwing condoms into the crowd)

Ice T (####ed up a cop car on stage)

Doug E Fresh (lots of strobe lights)

Kool Moe Dee (rollin' with a cowboy hat)

Erik B & Rakim (blew the show up!)

Those were the days...
Jesus christ, that's a great lineup. :thumbup:

I'm going to Red Rocks tonight to see Atmosphere, Dilated Peoples, and Brother Ali. It should be a great show.

I'm also planning on going to Riot Fest in Denver on Sunday to see Snoop Dogg perform "Doggystyle" in its entirety, GZA perform "Liquid Swords" in its entirety, and Yelawolf.

I've got a pretty sweet little rap weekend lined up.

I'm going to Red Rocks tonight to see Atmosphere, Dilated Peoples, and Brother Ali. It should be a great show.

I'm also planning on going to Riot Fest in Denver on Sunday to see Snoop Dogg perform "Doggystyle" in its entirety, GZA perform "Liquid Swords" in its entirety, and Yelawolf.

I'm heading to the concert tonight as well. I've never seen Brother Ali or Dilatated Peoples before, but Atmosphere puts on a pretty good show.

It's so bad. I can't believe there are any positive reviews out there.
I think this was an opportunity for him to sell records due to the promotion of the NWA movie. I'm assuming he didn't use all of the great beats he has supposedly been sitting on for detox. It was like a "come back" album.I would assume he now falls in line with most main stream artist and continues to promote and put out stuff on a regular basis. Do a little more promotion, stay in the news, and drop detox now that he's back on the radar.

The problem with sitting on so many good tracks for so long is that he has probably chipped away at his stash. He has been selling some pretty good beats over the years that were Detox worthy. Check out these beats he produced in 2008.

Jay-Z - Kingdom Come

05. "Lost One" (featuring Chrisette Michele) (Produced with Mark Batson)

07. "30 Something"

11. "Trouble" (Produced with Mark Batson)

13. "Minority Report" (featuring Ne-Yo)

Sample Credit: "Non ti scordar di me" by Luciano Pavarotti

Snoop Dogg - Tha Blue Carpet Treatment Edit

12. "Round Here"

Sample Credit: "Thank You" by Dido

20. "Imagine" (featuring Dr. Dre & D'Angelo) (Produced with Mark Batson)

What's the best place to keep track of concerts coming to Denver? I'd like to subscribe to a daily email, or something along those lines.

I'm heading to the concert tonight as well. I've never seen Brother Ali or Dilatated Peoples before, but Atmosphere puts on a pretty good show.
All three quality af. Evidence and Raaka from Dilated were throwing out huge buds from a jar last show I was at. Definitely a great show as everyone was 'sharing'.

What's the best place to keep track of concerts coming to Denver? I'd like to subscribe to a daily email, or something along those lines.
I use the BandsinTown app, which I love. It pulls all of your favorite artists from Facebook and you can add additional favorite artists, then it alerts you via email and the app when those bands, or other similar bands, announce concerts in your area. You can also scroll through the list of upcoming concerts. It is really useful to keep track of upcoming concerts.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming release of the Big Grams EP, a collaboration between Big Boi from Outkast and Phantogram. The album features guest appearances from Run the Jewels and Skrillex. It should be really interesting fusion of musical styles, as I really enjoy rapping over trippy indie rock beats. They collaborated on a few songs on Big Boi's last solo album including "Lines". They are apparently also going to do a joint tour in support of the album. I've seen both Outkast and Phantogram perform live twice in the past year, and the idea of them performing on stage together sounds incredible. Here is a Pitchfork article about the Big Grams EP that was published today.

Buckfast 1 said:
I'm pretty excited for the upcoming release of the Big Grams EP, a collaboration between Big Boi from Outkast and Phantogram. The album features guest appearances from Run the Jewels and Skrillex. It should be really interesting fusion of musical styles, as I really enjoy rapping over trippy indie rock beats. They collaborated on a few songs on Big Boi's last solo album including "Lines". They are apparently also going to do a joint tour in support of the album. I've seen both Outkast and Phantogram perform live twice in the past year, and the idea of them performing on stage together sounds incredible. Here is a Pitchfork article about the Big Grams EP that was published today.
you got good taste little bruh

Can't leave without a few links to some new stuff in the rotation:

World Premier is amazing. Nightcrawler and Czar Guitar are not bad. The rest I'm not really feeling for the most part.

The first album is better.

Jedi Mind Tricks coming to Philadelphia September 18. Woo!

Jedi Mind Tricks is coming to Denver on June 10.

I would like to see them in NY but debating whether it is really worth the total cost.
I have actually been eyeing that Jedi Mind Tricks show. One of my favorite local rap groups Flowalition is opening for them in Denver. I was really impressed with Flowalition when they opened for Ghostface and Raekwon last month. Their style should mesh well with Jedi Mind Trick's.
Am I safe in assuming that Jus Allah has been officially given the boot from the live shows as well? That guy really sucks.
Yeah, JMT is apparently back to the original duo of Vinnie Paz and Stoupe.
New album dropped yesterday. I listened while at work, so not super close. Seemed good, not great, but better than the majority of the past few albums where Stoupe wasn't there. Hoping it will grow on me. Probably nothing will ever live up to Violent by Design, so I will always be disappointed.
Re-visiting the latest album and I like it a lot more than my initial listens. I think that I have a serious expectation problem.

The first song from the Big Grams EP was released today. Pretty dope if you ask me. Big Grams - "Fell In the Sun"

Trying to expand my horizons by listening to this new Drake/Future album and holy #### is it bad. The best thing I can say is that it's pretty evident from Future's voice that he's not exaggerating the amount of lean he's drinking.

Just got sent K-Os new album. Haven't heard anything but this single: Boyz II Men

Gonna give it a listen now, figured I'd share.

*ETA*

Ugh... not really my style. The rest of the album doesn't really sound like the single. Maybe after a few more listens...

*ETA* Wow, it grew on me after about the 3rd go through. It's different, but good.

Can someone here give me some Workout Hip Hop Songs? good for running/lifting? My list is stale...

I don't care if it's new or old, I just want to be able to get ####### TURNT UP TO IT!!

My most played for cross reference (no comments about mainstream rap please):

B.I.G. - Machine Gun Funk

2 Pac - Cant C Me

2 Pac - Skandalouz

DJ Khaled - I'm On One

Jay Z - Public Service Announcement

Big Sean - Switch Up

Wiz Khalifa - Work Hard, Play Hard

ASAP Rocky - Wild For The Night

Canibus - 2nd Round KO

Busta Rhymes - Gimme Some More

The Game - One Blood