What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (1 Viewer)

Bradford hasn't had a lot of help, aside from a stud RB in S Jackson, but the problem with him now appears to be he seems afraid of throwing into tight coverage. I noticed it in the preseason game against the Colts, how a WR would be covered 10 years down field on one of the sidelines, and he would totally overthrow them. You could say it was an errant throw, but he strikes me as a QB who hasn't figured out yet that guys in the NFL aren't gonna be open like guys in college were; you have to fit those tight spirals into tight coverage sometimes, and Bradford seems to struggle in that regard right now. Hopefully, he can turn it around this year, but I don't know...
I don't think that is true.A video was posted in the 2012 Rams thread that showed every single passing attempt over ten yards from last year. The first ten minutes are the first 7 games before Bradford's ankle injury, he was throwing to guys that had a DB draped all over them... and he was usually putting it right in stride where only the WR was going to catch it. Unfortunately, there were a absurd number of straight up drops. It was sad. But he isn't afraid to give the receivers a chance.

'Buffaloes said:
And I agree that players are individuals. However, the Big XII has been around long enough, has been a superpower long enough, and has produced a number of early round QBs yet has never produced that bona fide franchise QB. I do think that the gimmicky/video game style play in the Big XII sets its QB prospects behind. Great & innovative college systems and great systems to inflate passing numbers (especially against teams that consistently don't field quality defenses). However, none of them have translated to franchise QBs.
Some used to say that about "Tedford QBs." They don't say that anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Buffaloes said:
And I agree that players are individuals. However, the Big XII has been around long enough, has been a superpower long enough, and has produced a number of early round QBs yet has never produced that bona fide franchise QB. I do think that the gimmicky/video game style play in the Big XII sets its QB prospects behind. Great & innovative college systems and great systems to inflate passing numbers (especially against teams that consistently don't field quality defenses). However, none of them have translated to franchise QBs.
Some used to say that about "Tedford QBs." They don't say that anymore.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Tedford runs a much more traditional pro-style offense than what is being executed in Stillwater, Norman, Austin, etc... I don't remember anyone saying Tedford's offense was too gimmicky for his QBs to make a smooth transition to the pros. I don't see what Tedford's offense has to do with what I'm talking about.

has the Big XII ever produced a franchise QB? I can't think of one. The offenses are so gimmicky and the defenses in that conference tend to be pretty bad.
Might be too early to tell, but Josh Freeman has had his moments. RGIII, Ryan Tannehill, Blaine Gabbart and Brandon Weeden are being counted on as franchise QBs. I don't see how the Big XII is anymore gimmicky than the Pac-12 and I'd take the defense of Texas over just about any other school in the country right now. They gonna be good.

has the Big XII ever produced a franchise QB? I can't think of one. The offenses are so gimmicky and the defenses in that conference tend to be pretty bad.
Might be too early to tell, but Josh Freeman has had his moments. RGIII, Ryan Tannehill, Blaine Gabbart and Brandon Weeden are being counted on as franchise QBs. I don't see how the Big XII is anymore gimmicky than the Pac-12 and I'd take the defense of Texas over just about any other school in the country right now. They gonna be good.
Teams like Oregon run their speed option attack, but you've got schools like Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Colorado, etc... that still run out of a lot of pro-style sets. IIRC, Stanford in particular ran a purely pro style offense last year. Watching the Big XII the past few years has been like watching the Arena League. A&M had some pro-style looks with Sherman there (but had plenty of spread looks). I agree that Texas should field a good team as usual and their d might be stout, but if we are talking conferences as a whole I think the Big XII doesn't play much d. I could be off on attributing the Big XII's style of play to it not producing any franchise QBs. Maybe RGIII, Tannehill, Gabbert, Grandpa Weeden, Freeman, Bradford, or McCoy becomes a franchise guy. I kind of doubt any of them outside of RGIII will just based on what I've seen at the collegiate and pro level. But it is notable that a prestigious conference that has been around 15+ years as a powerhouse has yet to produce a franchise QB. ETA: This isn't an anti-Big XII thing or anything like that, either. I like the Big XII. It's an exciting conference with a lot of coaching and player talent.

Bradford hasn't had a lot of help, aside from a stud RB in S Jackson, but the problem with him now appears to be he seems afraid of throwing into tight coverage. I noticed it in the preseason game against the Colts, how a WR would be covered 10 years down field on one of the sidelines, and he would totally overthrow them. You could say it was an errant throw, but he strikes me as a QB who hasn't figured out yet that guys in the NFL aren't gonna be open like guys in college were; you have to fit those tight spirals into tight coverage sometimes, and Bradford seems to struggle in that regard right now. Hopefully, he can turn it around this year, but I don't know...
I don't think that is true.A video was posted in the 2012 Rams thread that showed every single passing attempt over ten yards from last year. The first ten minutes are the first 7 games before Bradford's ankle injury, he was throwing to guys that had a DB draped all over them... and he was usually putting it right in stride where only the WR was going to catch it. Unfortunately, there were a absurd number of straight up drops. It was sad. But he isn't afraid to give the receivers a chance.
Hmmm, well, I will take your word for it, but I am just going by what I saw in the preseason. If it was just that one game and those few passes, okay. I admittedly do not watch a lot of Rams games despite living in St. Louis.

If he can't get it done with the weapons he has now he never will. No more excuses, Sam.

Bradford will be as good as his offensive line. Give him time and he will tear you a part. Give him time and weapons, and he will be a pro bowler. He's yet to have time or weapons.

Bradford will be as good as his offensive line. Give him time and he will tear you a part. Give him time and weapons, and he will be a pro bowler. He's yet to have time or weapons.
What I think the consensus is that the Ram organization has given him the time AND weapons this year. As cliche as it may be: this truly is his make/break season.

Not sure this is the make or break year for him as long as he keeps progressing like he did last year. He had a quality year with a poor line and poor weapons.

Exactamundo.

People on this board that just sit there and quote stats as their argument against Bradford cannot have watched many (any?) Rams games and do not understand the profoundly bad situation he has had to play in. In 2010/2011 the playcalling became absurdly conservative when it became apparent that there were no player capable of being deep threats. Even last year the coaches kept it mostly conservative, running a lot, because the defense was usually playing so well. They took a lot more shots down the field than before, but still seemed to try and just keep games close and grind out the games, especially when, again, the Oline was beset with injuries and Amendola was injured. I was very hopeful last year after their Oline free agent signings... then those Olinemen started dropping like flies. And then the WR drops started up again. And then his only reliable WR, Amendola, got hurt again (and came back too soon).

I am a Rams fan, but I am a realist and don't look at them through rose-colored glasses. My only concern with Bradford is that I feel he has mediocre pocket awareness and pocket movement. There were too many times that he would stand tall in the pocket and go through his reads, but not step up away from pressure to give himself room and an extra half second to throw. This will be less of a problem if the Oline stays healthy. *fingers crossed*

His career path reminds me of Eli Manning a bit. Manning was solid but unspectacular for several years, in 2008 he had 3200 yards, 21 TDs, but improved his Y/A from 6.3 to 6.8. In 2009 he jumped up to 4000 yards, 27 TDs, and 7.9 Y/A. What changed? The drafting of Hakeem Nicks and the rise of Steve Smith. He has since had a very group of receivers, and not coincidentally has been near or above 4000 yards for 4 straight years, 26 or more TDs, and 7.4 or better Y/A. Lesson? Surrounding talent matters. A lot.

That being said, I think it will be 2014 when Bradford really steps up. I expect Bradford to take another step in 2013, but not necessarily a big one. The receiving corps is still very young. Givens showed well and should advance this year, but he is not an NFL WR1. Quick might be, but he was mostly a non-factor last year, I don't see him suddenly being a stud. Austin is a very dynamic talent, but he is still a rookie. I like Cook at TE, but we need to wait and see if his lack of production was entirely Tennessee's fault or some fault of his own. And the running game is a question mark right now.

But I am hopeful.

I think it's safe to say that Bradford has proven he is an average to below average NFL QB. That's not a terrible thing, it means he's better than roughly half the league and worse than the other half. With a better surrounding cast maybe he cracks the top 15 QBs, but I doubt he ever cracks the top 10. (In terms of fantasy production).

Talk about a 2 sport special... Professional Footballer and Professional Bowler=awesome resume! Take that Bo and Deion!

If he can't get it done with the weapons he has now he never will. No more excuses, Sam.
His entire WR unit is either rookies or 2nd year players. I get it but where are the elite weapons here? I'm sorry but Austin would not be my ideal WR1. Bradford thew for 3,700 yards last year with nothing, as far as I'm concerned he has proven he can compete in the NFL.

He should have a lot more time to throw this year and should he throw for 4,000+ I think its a testament to Bradford.

Bradford should have never played in the Championship. Texas beat them on Neutral Ground. Colt McCoy would have destroyed Florida. He is a better Quarterback than Tebow, Bradford, and Weeden. He had to fight for his roster spot at Texas and he will in Cle. I fully expect him to start by the end of the season unless he gets traded.
Ouch

Not sure this is the make or break year for him as long as he keeps progressing like he did last year. He had a quality year with a poor line and poor weapons.
Excellent points. I will say this as I doubted the kid when he came into the NFL, his rookie year he showed some flashes, made me back pedal some. Then in year 2 he looked kinda bad but I blame the team and coaching, I'm allowed to do that based on his ability to succeed every year prior to that. Year 3 he looked a lot better IMO.

Now the Rams are gonna have to make a decision. Bradford was making $10m a season coming into the league, he likely would be extended I would imagine around the same number per season, maybe a 5 yr/$50M deal or something...I could be wrong. If Bradford just keeps the status quo which I think he will improve under Fisher but if he doesn't elevate his game then the Rams are going to have some major questions they need answered.

I think Bradford is going to have a solid year and more people than myself who doubted him are going to come around. I was on record saying his contract and pick would set the Rams back 5-10 years, 1st year that looked bad, 2nd year that prediction looked better but now after year 3 I see a lot of promise for Bradford and the Rams. I think if Bradford ever does leave St Louis that he will catch on wherever he lands. But he won't leave St Louis until they have another plan in place and judging by the drafts, Fisher seems to have plenty of confidence in Bradford.

I think it's safe to say that Bradford has proven he is an average to below average NFL QB. That's not a terrible thing, it means he's better than roughly half the league and worse than the other half. With a better surrounding cast maybe he cracks the top 15 QBs, but I doubt he ever cracks the top 10. (In terms of fantasy production).
You could have made the same argument for Drew Brees following his third NFL season.

The conventional wisdom used to be that it can take up to 3-5 years for a QB to fully develop his potential in the NFL. Now we have seen QBs in recent years hit their stride right away (Newton/RG3/Wilson/Kaep) but I think it is mistake to assume that the learning curve is the same for everyone. In other words, let's give Bradford another season or two before we write him off as not having what it takes to be a top 10 fantasy QB.

>Not sure this is the make or break year for him as long as he keeps progressing like he did last year. He had a quality year with a poor line and poor weapons.
Excellent points. I will say this as I doubted the kid when he came into the NFL, his rookie year he showed some flashes, made me back pedal some. Then in year 2 he looked kinda bad but I blame the team and coaching, I'm allowed to do that based on his ability to succeed every year prior to that. Year 3 he looked a lot better IMO.

Now the Rams are gonna have to make a decision. Bradford was making $10m a season coming into the league, he likely would be extended I would imagine around the same number per season, maybe a 5 yr/$50M deal or something...I could be wrong. If Bradford just keeps the status quo which I think he will improve under Fisher but if he doesn't elevate his game then the Rams are going to have some major questions they need answered.

I think Bradford is going to have a solid year and more people than myself who doubted him are going to come around. I was on record saying his contract and pick would set the Rams back 5-10 years, 1st year that looked bad, 2nd year that prediction looked better but now after year 3 I see a lot of promise for Bradford and the Rams. I think if Bradford ever does leave St Louis that he will catch on wherever he lands. But he won't leave St Louis until they have another plan in place and judging by the drafts, Fisher seems to have plenty of confidence in Bradford.
His salary jumps to $14M next year with only about $3M of that guaranteed. Unless he gets worse, which I don't expect, they should still bring him back at that price. However, if he doesn't show enough improvement I can certainly see them taking a QB next year.

They improved the O-Line but lost the power running game. They got the first WR off the board, but he's not the prototypical stud WR like a Calvin, AJ or Julio. Bradford is the king of the dump off for a variety of reasons, so this may not be all that bad. They got a deep threat in Bailey, but Givens is pretty good at that already. They have Quick, but who knows what he will do. They signed Cook and have Kendricks who was developing late in the season.

It would seem their biggest threat will be the short pass to Austin or to the TE's in two TE sets. That's a lot of traffic in the intermediate/short routes. Bradford can throw that ball all day long which should give them plenty of single coverage on the outside and deep.

cstu said:
Ministry of Pain said:
bulger2holt said:
bulger2holt said:
>Not sure this is the make or break year for him as long as he keeps progressing like he did last year. He had a quality year with a poor line and poor weapons.

His salary jumps to $14M next year with only about $3M of that guaranteed. Unless he gets worse, which I don't expect, they should still bring him back at that price. However, if he doesn't show enough improvement I can certainly see them taking a QB next year.
Only $3 million is guaranteed but if they bring him back then they have to pay the full $14 unless he takes a pay cut. If he flops this year, they will ask him to take that cut or be cut and draft someone to compete with him if he takes the pay cut. That would be a mess.

Would not surprise me at ALL if Bradford has another mediocre year and the Rams end up drafting in the top part of the draft again.

He's average at best. He had S-jax to keep defenses honest and he still couldn't take advantage. Surely he was seeing 8 in the box most of the time. He is a servicable QB, but I don't envision pro-bowls from him.

He's average at best. He had S-jax to keep defenses honest and he still couldn't take advantage. Surely he was seeing 8 in the box most of the time. He is a servicable QB, but I don't envision pro-bowls from him.
Brees in his 3rd year had LT in his prime averaging 5.3 YPC and wasn't even average.

The problem with that logic is that the only WR he has had that was worth anything was Amendola. Guys cheating up to stop SJax are also in Amendola's traffic lanes. In other words, the running game and one decent WR didn't create mismatches anywhere else because nobody could beat the one on one coverage deep except for Givens a few times but most teams gave up on containing Givens. Basically conceding that he would probably go deep on them as long as they held SJ39 and Amendola in check. Or whomever replaced Amendola when injured.

Basically stack everyone within 5 yards of the LOS and dare them to beat them deep. The problem was the Rams had nobody to do that except for Givens somewhat. Quick never developed last year. Steve Smith was injured. Danario Alexander was cut. Salas? Pettis? Household names, those two.

The problem with that logic is that the only WR he has had that was worth anything was Amendola. Guys cheating up to stop SJax are also in Amendola's traffic lanes. In other words, the running game and one decent WR didn't create mismatches anywhere else because nobody could beat the one on one coverage deep except for Givens a few times but most teams gave up on containing Givens. Basically conceding that he would probably go deep on them as long as they held SJ39 and Amendola in check. Or whomever replaced Amendola when injured.

Basically stack everyone within 5 yards of the LOS and dare them to beat them deep. The problem was the Rams had nobody to do that except for Givens somewhat. Quick never developed last year. Steve Smith was injured. Danario Alexander was cut. Salas? Pettis? Household names, those two.
Avery looked pretty good for the Colts last year. Wonder why the Rams let him walk

Avery looked pretty good for the Colts last year. Wonder why the Rams let him walk
Are you saying that Avery played like crap with Bradford but pretty good with Luck to show that Bradford isn't a good QB?

Are you saying that Avery played like crap with Bradford but pretty good with Luck to show that Bradford isn't a good QB?
Hrm? No not at all. Just wondering why a team lacking a deep threat would cut a guy like Avery, who seemed to be a pretty good deep threat with the Colts last year. I'm not entirely too sure about the details surrounding it, and I know they cut him two seasons ago. But it just seems a guy like Avery would be a good deep threat to have right about now for the Rams.

Bradford is mediocre, no doubt about it. Anyone comparing him to Brees is really reaching. That argument is basically "One QB looked mediocre and then turned into a superstar so I'm claiming that every other mediocre QB will become elite too"...just silly.

Great QBs make their line and receivers look good, they don't rely on having studs at every position to make themselves look serviceable.

Everyone said Peyton had a first-class O-line until he left and suddenly they looked like the worst unit in the league.

Moss looked washed up and done until Brady made him look like a superstar again.

Those blamming Bradford's poor play on the O-line and mediocre receivers are giving him WAY too much credit. RG3 was a beast throwing to an old Santana Moss and Leonard Hankerson for most of the season (and behind a horrid O-line). Newton had an old Steve Smith and not much else. Plenty of other young QBs have made their supporting cast look very good over the past couple of years while Bradford doesn't seem to be adding much of anything to the Stl offense.

The worst part about Bradford is his bloated Rookie contract...he needs to improve and improve quickly to be worth close to what they're paying him in St. Louis.

I think Bradford is going to turn into a good but not great. A qb that, with the right players around him, can win you a superbowl. Not a qb that is going to put a team on his shoulders and win the superbowl.

Hrm? No not at all. Just wondering why a team lacking a deep threat would cut a guy like Avery, who seemed to be a pretty good deep threat with the Colts last year. I'm not entirely too sure about the details surrounding it, and I know they cut him two seasons ago. But it just seems a guy like Avery would be a good deep threat to have right about now for the Rams.
You'd have to ask the Colts that question. They let him go too. He's a Chief now.

And if he's such a deep threat, why is his career YPC 12.8? Sure, a lot of that had to do with him playing on bad Rams teams, but he only had a 13.0 YPC with the Colts, so it doesn't seem like he went deep with them much either.

For the sake of argument, Avery never caught a pass from Bradford in a regular season game. He blew out his knee in 2010 before the season and Bradford was drafted in 2010. Avery was a Titan in 2011 where he did have a career high YPC at 15.0, but that was on only three catches, so that seems like the outlier.

Danario Alexander looked pretty damn good with the Chargers too, I get that he couldn't stay healthy but how good would he have looked with Bradford?

Danario Alexander looked pretty damn good with the Chargers too, I get that he couldn't stay healthy but how good would he have looked with Bradford?
He looked great when he was on the field. But that wasn't often. That guy needs to play on grass.

Right, I remember this thread. Lots of people who can't have seen more than one Rams game per season claiming that Bradford has proven to be mediocre. Silly last year, and doubly so this time around, given that he showed improvement in 2012 and is in the best situation he's had in his brief NFL career (experience, OL additions, receiving weapons and - shock and awe - sticking with the same OC for a second year). While I don't expect him to turn into Tom Brady overnight, I can see him with 4,000+ passing yards and 25+ TDs in 2013, continuing to improve.

You'd have to ask the Colts that question. They let him go too. He's a Chief now.

And if he's such a deep threat, why is his career YPC 12.8? Sure, a lot of that had to do with him playing on bad Rams teams, but he only had a 13.0 YPC with the Colts, so it doesn't seem like he went deep with them much either.

For the sake of argument, Avery never caught a pass from Bradford in a regular season game. He blew out his knee in 2010 before the season and Bradford was drafted in 2010. Avery was a Titan in 2011 where he did have a career high YPC at 15.0, but that was on only three catches, so that seems like the outlier.
I'm not sure if he led the league, but he had a huge number of drops. It's sad when signing DHB is an upgrade to your WR's hands.

Right, I remember this thread. Lots of people who can't have seen more than one Rams game per season claiming that Bradford has proven to be mediocre. Silly last year, and doubly so this time around, given that he showed improvement in 2012 and is in the best situation he's had in his brief NFL career (experience, OL additions, receiving weapons and - shock and awe - sticking with the same OC for a second year). While I don't expect him to turn into Tom Brady overnight, I can see him with 4,000+ passing yards and 25+ TDs in 2013, continuing to improve.
I remember this one too. IIRC there were a couple more. I can't believe how quickly the FBG board folks soured on Bradford.

Back during his rookie year, I remember reading one of Joe's emails where he wrote something like he finally got the chance to sit up close and watch bradford and it wasn't just good passes but the ball was placed so well, so perfectly. I remember seeing that at OU and feeling (what seemed like) the same as Joe that first time. I expected more people to be like wow but instead this souring on him totally threw me.

He was obviously very well coached.

He's also a real good young man- donating, giving back, meeting little kids etc.

He's what ya want in a QB.

The Rams stunk and their O was just a RB the year before. They added has "no name" WRs and the line had holes and....give him time. He didn't join the pro bowl team, he joined the Rams.

Quick has OMG ability and probably flashed it like twice last year-he barely played it seemed.

Fisher has a nice staff-the coaching is eons better than just a short time ago.

They've added free agents and....give this team time and give Bradford time too.

Interesting over/under article at DLF:

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2013/overunder-sam-bradford

I think the yards are a pretty good O/U line to draw, the TDs are high. (4200/30)
I agree. I think he's a little under 4200 and 30 TD's with such a young offense is a bit optimistic. 4000/25 is quite do-able for him this year.
Has Fisher ever had a 4000 yard QB? That would be interesting if he gets that.

I think Fisher has always shown he'd love to run and slow everything down if he has the RB and OL to do it. He, Parcells, Gibbs, Cowher....so many...seem like they'd be thrilled to be 16-0 and have a 1000 yard QB. Yeah I'm exaggerating, but I think Bradford is tough for FF. McNair used to get rushing yards that added to his value as did Young. Fisher QBs haven't really been gems in FF when they had a good running game.

I think the yards are a pretty good O/U line to draw, the TDs are high. (4200/30)
I agree. I think he's a little under 4200 and 30 TD's with such a young offense is a bit optimistic. 4000/25 is quite do-able for him this year.

I think Fisher has always shown he'd love to run and slow everything down if he has the RB and OL to do it. He, Parcells, Gibbs, Cowher....so many...seem like they'd be thrilled to be 16-0 and have a 1000 yard QB. Yeah I'm exaggerating, but I think Bradford is tough for FF. McNair used to get rushing yards that added to his value as did Young. Fisher QBs haven't really been gems in FF when they had a good running game.
Interesting point...no, he hasn't. However, Bradford has already had more attempts than any other Fisher QB.

Bradford does play in a tough division with formidable defenses that only got better in the off-season (except the Cards with the potential losses of DC Horton and LB Washington [for at least 4 games]). Expect better line play from the Rams', but believe they'll continue playing to their strength; a tough defense, a controlled offense (heavy dose of the ground game) in the mold of their HC Fisher. Since his arrival, they have continued investing heavily in that defense...

I think ultimately this caps Bradford's upside, and he'll continue to be a QB2 in most fantasy formats (outside of top 12 QBs).

The Rams WR's would also get very little separation. Most of the time Bradford would have to thrown into very tight coverage. Try doing that with very litle time to throw. Hopefully Austin, Bailey and Cook will help with the addition of Jake Long too. Adding Jake and moving Saffold to RT improves both OT by a large amount. OC Wells and OG Rok Watkins will be healthy, and the addition of Barrett Jones will all help the OL too. Better line and better weapons will all give Sam the opportunity to show his skill. Sam is a 6'5 QB with a very strong accurate arm. He's extremely smart too and also works his ### off learning and trying to improve.

Without giving it tons of thought, here are the QBs I like in a redraft league this year better than Bradford. The overall rankings are not my own, I pulled right them right from Footballguys (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=qb&type=redraft&howrecent=14), but I did move Bradford up four slots. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I could see him possibly moving into the top 15, but never into the top 10.

1 QB Aaron Rodgers, GB
2 QB Drew Brees, NO
3 QB Cam Newton, CAR
4 QB Peyton Manning, DEN
5 QB Tom Brady, NE
6 QB Matt Ryan, ATL
7 QB Matthew Stafford, DET
8 QB Andrew Luck, IND
9 QB Colin Kaepernick, SF
10 QB Tony Romo, DAL
11 QB Russell Wilson, SEA
12 QB Robert Griffin III, WAS
13 QB Eli Manning, NYG
14 QB Ben Roethlisberger, PIT
15 QB Andy Dalton, CIN
16 QB Philip Rivers, SD
17 QB Joe Flacco, BAL
18 QB Sam Bradford, STL
19 QB Josh Freeman, TB
20 QB Michael Vick, PHI
21 QB Jay Cutler, CHI
22 QB Matt Schaub, HOU
23 QB Carson Palmer, ARI

Bri said:

I think the way the Rams have drafted over the last couple years is an indication that they are looking to throw the ball a bit.

Bri said:

I think the way the Rams have drafted over the last couple years is an indication that they are looking to throw the ball a bit.
I am kind of thinking this as well. I would have expected them to draft a RB in the top 3 rounds or sign somebody. Keeping two lightweights and drafting a 5th round RB doesn't indicate a staff looking to pound the rock at the passing game's expense.

We'll see how it works out.

Bradford, Rams ready to take a giant leap forward in NFC West

Clark Judge

With all the talk about San Francisco and Seattle lapping the NFC West ... if not the NFC itself ... it's hard to remember that we need to pay attention to St. Louis, too.

One reason is the Rams' defense. It's tough, physical and difficult to solve. The second is what happened last year. The Rams had the best record in the division and didn't lose to San Francisco. But it's the third reason I want to address because the third reason is Sam Bradford.

With the exit of running back Steven Jackson, the Rams belong to their fourth-year quarterback. He's not just the focus of the offense; he's the focus of the entire team, with St. Louis going only as far as Bradford can take it.

Of course, that's what leaders do, and Bradford is the leader of the St. Louis Rams. It's his job not only to demonstrate that he's one of the game's most promising and underrated young quarterbacks, but to prove that the Rams are closer to San Francisco and Seattle than most of us believe.

"People can talk about those two teams all they want because in the offseason that's all it is ... talk," said Bradford. "We know that once the season starts is when everything gets real.

"If you look at what we were able to do last year against the division, we had the best record (4-1-1) in arguably the best division in football. I think that shows how close we are to being put in a sentence with those two teams.

"Now, give them credit. They were very good last year. With San Francisco making it to the Super Bowl and almost winning it, they deserve all the credit that people are giving them right now. But if we go out and play to our potential and play the way we know we can, I don't think it will be that long before people start realizing there are not just two elite teams in the division. I think we could be thrown into that conversation, too."

But that depends on the development of Bradford, and finally, mercifully, the Rams understand. After losing Jackson and Danny Amendola to free agency, they took steps to make their quarterback better. First of all, they drafted a pair of long-overdue outside weapons in rookies Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. Then they added quality offensive linemen in free-agent left tackle Jake Long and rookie center Barrett Jones.

Now, the rest is up to Bradford, who last year had a better passer rating than Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler and Matt Stafford, and, yes, I think he's up to it. In fact, I say he takes a giant step forward this season, and I say the Rams do, too.

"I'm really excited about what we've done this year," he said. "I think this is one of the first years where there's been a very conscious effort to bring people in on the offensive side of the ball. I'm just excited to work with everyone we've added, and I'm looking forward to having this offense come together and form an identity."

So are a lot of people in St. Louis. It's been too many years since "The Greatest Show on Turf" dazzled audiences, destroyed opponents and put the Rams at or near the top of the NFL. Not only haven't they had a winning season in eight years; they ranked no higher than 23rd in offense the last six.

But that was before the club woke up to Bradford and realized he can't lead if he's handcuffed. By acquiring Austin, the most explosive playmaker in this year's draft, as well as Bradley ... then adding Long to protect Bradford's back ... the Rams made it clear who the centerpiece of this organization is.

"I would agree (it's my team to lead)," he said. "Obviously, 'Jack' (Jackson) was a key piece of this offense and this organization for a long time. He was looked at as the cornerstone and the leader of not only this offense but this team.

And so, with his departure this offseason, there's definitely a big role and a big void to fill -- just as far as his leadership abilities -- and I think that gives me the opportunity to step up and be that leader.

"I always felt I've been a leader, but with 'Jack' here it was still his team, and he was the one that guys looked to. I hope I can become that guy this year."

The Rams do, too. Because they're closing in on Seattle and San Francisco ... and if you don't know that, too bad. Sam Bradford does, and he has more than a supporting cast to do something about it. He has the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread