What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official Senior Bowl Thread* (1 Viewer)

Carolina talked with J.J. Arrington----------------That would be a great pick in the 3rd or 4th round.  I don't think Foster will ever be able to stay healthy for an entire season and Goings isn't built to be a featured back.
2 part question:1. Goings averaged 130 total yards on 26 carries and 4 catches per game as a starter. What part of that indicates that he's "not built to be a feature back?"2. What part of JJ Arrington being 5'9 indicates that he IS built to be a feature back?Colin
Priest Holmes is 5'9"LT2 is 5'10"Being 5'9" doesn't necessarily mean a RB is doomed to mediocrity.
Actually, a ton of guys are 5'10. But if someone is going to say that a guy who is built like a brick sh@thouse and has a track record of NFL success as a workhorse back ISN'T fit to be a workhorse back, but a smaller guy is, I'm going to point it out.COlin

After watching Gruden and Turner, I didn't realize the constant energy these coaches need to run a tight, crisp practice. I can definitely see how coaches lose their edge after awhile.Kiper's tv comments:-Expects Caddy to go in top 10, possibly to Tampa. Says he carries durability concerns but if he wears out after 4 or 5 great years, so be it.-Reggie Brown is pushing the late first but teammate Fred Gibson is trying to hold onto the 2nd or 3rd.-Demarcus Ware has possibly moved to the late 1st as a 3-4 OLB.-Marcus Spears may only be a 5-7 sack type guy and is trying to stay in the late first but still has mid first upside-Jason Campbell looks like a second rounder but isn't a finished product. Says with good coaching he thinks he could become an effective starter in 2-3 years.-Expects Mike Nugent to go in the second.-Bryant McFadden may move into the late first

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these practices... did they do this last year?
No...but the bigger question...why is NFL Network not covering this?
If the NFL Network covered it we'd get 55 minutes of interviews with coaches spouting off endless platitudes and 5 minutes of the actual practice with commentary. Their coverage of the combine last year was a huge disappointment.

Carolina talked with J.J. Arrington----------------That would be a great pick in the 3rd or 4th round.  I don't think Foster will ever be able to stay healthy for an entire season and Goings isn't built to be a featured back.
2 part question:1. Goings averaged 130 total yards on 26 carries and 4 catches per game as a starter. What part of that indicates that he's "not built to be a feature back?"2. What part of JJ Arrington being 5'9 indicates that he IS built to be a feature back?Colin
His YPC declined drastically after the first few games, which either showed that he wore down or just isn't fast enough. He has some skills, but he wasn't drafted for a reason. His YPC the last 5 games was 3.4 (137 for 464).The NFL is about speed and quickness and the truth is that Arrington has it and Goings doesn't.

--Matt Jones showing a nice set of skills to be a possesion receiver, but not hustling like others
He always looks like that. I'm not sure if he really isn't working hard or if he just moves so naturally that it just looks like it isn't.
Matt Jones is "THE MOST LAID-BACK" athlete I have ever watched perform. Before, during and after, he appears nonchalant and even that he doesn't care. I heard him do a national sports radio interview immediately after a big win and he was eating pizza while he was talking to the interviewer in a live interview.He also has "natural" speed, he never looks like he is running hard, but then he is by his opponent, on the basketball floor as well as the football field.I just wonder if the NFL scouts will see that, at the Senior Bowl and at the Combine and question his attitude?

Latest from ESPN says that while Carlos Rogers (CB-Auburn) was good enough to come back potentially from a slight hammy pull, several scouts assured him he's done enough to lock himself into a 1st round grade and so Rogers is done for the week.Kyle Orton (QB-Purdue) is struggling as the week wears on, Orton has botched numerous center handoffs and his lack of experience playing under center is showing. Charlie Frye (QB-Akron) is improving, but still lacks arm strength. He's stepping into his throws. "Intangibles" and leadership are pluses for Frye, however, as he's become the vocal leader of the North squad.Dan Orlovsky (QB-Connecticut) continues to struggle mightily, he's been the most erratic of the North QBs and has the least arm strength. Surprise, surprise...Great Blue North suggested that the North practices looked sloppy and slow paced (kudos Norv Turner! :X ) versus the spirited and crisp practices by Jon Gruden on the South squad.GBN said that none of the North QBs (Orton, Orlovsky and Frye) were particularly accurate.DE Marcus Spears and DE Matt Roth were, according to GBN, the best playesr on the field in today's practice.

DE Marcus Spears and DE Matt Roth were, according to GBN, the best playesr on the field in today's practice.
between cody, spears, roth, tuck, james, its going to be interesting to see how the DE's shake out - at least one of them should go top 10, and at least one should last into the 30s...

His YPC declined drastically after the first few games, which either showed that he wore down or just isn't fast enough. He has some skills, but he wasn't drafted for a reason. His YPC the last 5 games was 3.4 (137 for 464).The NFL is about speed and quickness and the truth is that Arrington has it and Goings doesn't.
In watching some of the games, it appeared that D's were playing the run differently thus allowing more passing lanes. I think we improved passing numbers from Delhomme and Muhammad. Am I wrong on this?

GBN said that none of the North QBs (Orton, Orlovsky and Frye) were particularly accurate.

DE Marcus Spears and DE Matt Roth were, according to GBN, the best playesr on the field in today's practice.
To expand on GBN coverage, just listened to the first half of a COlin Lindsay radio report (midwest station, so players mentioned reflect that):Colin Lindsay GBN Report: SR Bowl Report on Radio

Top 3 guys impressing at practice:

1. Matt Roth

2. Marcus Spears

3. Cody & Patterson doing well but Roth & Spears are really impressing

DL is abosolutely dominating the OL

Considine (S, Iowa) - doing well. hasn't hurt himself by any stretch.

Barrett Ruud (MLB, NEB)

Very very good week. Gruden singled him off the North squad as someone who has impressed. Not quite as fast as the other guys, but very instinctive and practicing very well.

Michael Boley (LB, SMiss)

Quiet week. No blitzing schemes hurts him. Might be the best pure pass rusher of the LBs. Probably a step or two behind the other LBs.

Lance Mitchell (LB, OU) moved around very well and helped himself this week.

Then I had to take a phone call.... :hot:

Kiper's top players of the week (no order):Cadillac Williams RBReggie Brown WRMark Clayton WRTaylor Stubblefield WRMatt Roth DLMarcus Spears DLDemarcus Ware LBDustin Colquitt PMike Nugent KNeed a big game:David Bass OLRonald Bartell DBCole Farden PAlex Holmes TELance Mitchell LBDan Orlovsky QBCorey Webster CBJust looking around:Charlie FryeDarren Sproles RBCedric HoustonRBKay Jay Harris RBNoah Herron RBManuel White RBAlex Smite TEKhalif Barnes OL

1 WR Vincent Jackson 6-5 223 Northern Colorado

:FBGboardinAPRIL:

OOOh, look how tall! ANd 225 pounds? Wow...hes going to be an awesome NFL WR.

He is raw, he dropped some balls and he needs to work on paying more attention to the details but he certainly has the tools and will be a nice developmental prospect.

So what? Hes big and tall! Thats all a WR needs to be great.
:Mikhael Ricks::Onomo Ojo:

1  WR  Vincent Jackson  6-5  223  Northern Colorado

:FBGboardinAPRIL:

OOOh, look how tall! ANd 225 pounds?  Wow...hes going to be an awesome NFL WR.

He is raw, he dropped some balls and he needs to work on paying more attention to the details but he certainly has the tools and will be a nice developmental prospect.

So what?  Hes big and tall!  Thats all a WR needs to be great.
:Mikhael Ricks::Onomo Ojo:
Billy McMullen, Johnnie Morant?

When is the actual game???
Saturday, 3 PM EST on ESPN.ESPN is also televising practice today at 3 PM EST
Saturday (today), 4PM EST, on ESPN2, not ESPN!
Actually 3:30 on ESPN 2.
Must be at 4, as Xavier Basketball is still on. :hot:
Wow ESPN really did not list properly on this one. I read 3:30 on ESPN2 at their site... originally 3 at GBN now GBN says 4 on ESPN. Whatever I'm guessing 4.

between cody, spears, roth, tuck, james, its going to be interesting to see how the DE's shake out - at least one of them should go top 10, and at least one should last into the 30s...
Don't forget Shawn Merriman from Maryland and David Pollack. Merriman could be the first DE taken.

Orton just threw an INT. Anyone else think he's going to need 4 years to become a decent NFL QB like Brees?

It's going to be a long day for the North - the South defense is filled with future Pro Bowlers.

Orton just threw an INT. Anyone else think he's going to need 4 years to become a decent NFL QB like Brees?
Orton will never be decent if he doesn't work on his mechanics. His wind up throws take way too long.

Is there a game tracker for this anywhere? If so could someone provide a link please. I'm at work and want to follow. Yeah this thread is great (and thank you), but would like to see a play by play if possible.

I'm really starting to wonder if Sproles could be more than a change of pace back even at his size?
:yes:He'll be in the pro bowl.
I don't know about that. Even if he were to step up the team would need a goal line guy/short yardage. At best I think RBBC. A prime example is Quentin Griffin.

I'm really starting to wonder if Sproles could be more than a change of pace back even at his size?
I don't know about that. Even if he were to step up the team would need a goal line guy/short yardage. At best I think RBBC. A prime example is Quentin Griffin.
I'm thinking more - Mel Gray, Dante Hall type.

With Sproles size I just can't decide if he could carry the load. I agree his team would need a goal line/short yardage back. But that doesn't mean he couldn't do a lot of damage. I also like Sproles a lot better than Q. Griffin. What was Barry Sanders height and weight when he first came into the league?

With Sproles size I just can't decide if he could carry the load. I agree his team would need a goal line/short yardage back. But that doesn't mean he couldn't do a lot of damage. I also like Sproles a lot better than Q. Griffin. What was Barry Sanders height and weight when he first came into the league?
Once again Quentin Griffin. Don't start the Barry Sanders bull ####. Sanders had like 2,700 yrds rushing at like 7.6 ypc in his one big college season. He owuld have been a stud his first two seasons but a back by the name of Thurman Thomas was ahead of him.

Once again Quentin Griffin. Don't start the Barry Sanders bull ####. Sanders had like 2,700 yrds rushing at like 7.6 ypc in his one big college season. He owuld have been a stud his first two seasons but a back by the name of Thurman Thomas was ahead of him.
Hey Jackass you brought up Q. Griffin. Obviously Sproles isn't Barry Sanders, but I just wanted to see if someone knew off the top of their head his size coming into the league as a point of reference. Have a beer and settle down snapperhead.

Hey Jackass you brought up Q. Griffin. Obviously Sproles isn't Barry Sanders, but I just wanted to see if someone knew off the top of their head his size coming into the league as a point of reference. Have a beer and settle down snapperhead.
No need for names. He was 5'8 about 200 lbs give r take a few.

Don't confuse intelligence with an extreme fear of public speaking. I've followed K-State my entire life and Sproles has never shown to be an idiot.....unless a microphone gets thrown in his face. I knew it was trouble the second I saw they were going to interview him. :X

Anyone see the TD run?
Yep, but the interview after it was better. Think he can write his name? :shock:
Don't be so quick to judge...The reason he shys away from interviews just like that is because he has a speech impediment! It is not his fault. He can't do anything about it. Check out the ESPN insider review of him - "Is intelligent and versatile. Picks things up very quickly."

Hey jackass, 5'5 and 1/2.

Users who are viewing this thread