What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIII Thread - PATRIOTS vs. RAMS *** (1 Viewer)

I just read the early line on Rams/Pats was Rams -1 which lasted 10 minutes.  As of mid day Monday its Pats -2.5 with 90% of the money of NE's side.

These are VERY disturbing trends for a Pats fan.

The only way this game goes in the Rams favor is if Gurley shows up and plays out of his mind, or if Brady gets hit a lot. I don't see either happening. It sucks because I am actually going to the Super Bowl for the first time and I'm going to have to see Brady tie the Steelers for 6. I'm not too happy about that. 

The entire key is pressure on Brady.  You have to beat on him all game.  The chiefs pass rush was a big bluff, they are mediocre for playoff football.  I like the rams talent on defense, especially in a one game format, and it seems like Phiilips and Mcvay won't be afraid or to stupid to sell out to pressure Brady.  I like the rams chances with running ball control offense and beat the crap out of Brady defense.

Honestly, I think the only way to make this game enjoyable for me is to put in a large, girthy wager. I really think I'd be glad to lose the money, and if it doesn't work out for the Rams, the Pats put money in my pocket.

Tom Brady has thrown the ball 90 times in the postseason. Against Bosa, Ingram, Jones, Ford and Houston. He's not been sacked yet. The Patriots offensive line and legendary OL coach Dante Scarnecchia are killing it.

Then you've missed some of the most exciting games of the year. 

Do these same folks tune out the college championship game ... just because they don't like the teams that are in it ... year after year?
I don't feel I missed anything. I was out doing things I found more interesting/useful. They may have been good games, back and forth, whatever. But if you have no interest in either team, does it matter? In my younger days, I probably would have watched. Now that I'm older, football just doesn't carry my interest like it used too. Different strokes and all that.

And actually, no, I did not watch the college championship game either. Don't feel like I missed much there either.

What coach has done it better in the history of the game?
But you keep saying it’s going to be a “snoozer”.  I’m just wondering why you think that when all the evidence we have points to the opposite.  Aren’t you the betting guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s hard for me to see Belichick losing 2 straight Super Bowls. 
What happened last year is in the past and will have no bearing on this year’s Super Bowl.  There is a reason why the Pats are only 2 point favorites.  This should be a well fought battle between 2 very hot teams.

fred_1_15301 said:
What happened last year is in the past and will have no bearing on this year’s Super Bowl.  There is a reason why the Pats are only 2 point favorites.  This should be a well fought battle between 2 very hot teams.
This. 

Both are great teams and we will need the OLine to come up big again vs Donald/Suh. I just hope Suh doesn’t hurt anyone with his dirty bull####. 

LOVE that @Faust set up this thread. Might be the best shark pool poster since @Stompin' Tom Connors. :wub:

Just throwing some respect to two shark pool folks who I think are underrated 
Wow, appreciate the super nice words, but in no way do I add more value than Faust who is simply legendary in terms of the tireless contributions he makes to the pool across all threads...or you for that matter. You're way too kind and vastly overe!

Wade Phillips has done as good a job as anyone slowing down Brady over the years.  He schemes as well as any coach against the multiple formation Pats offense.

i just wonder if the Rams can stop the power run offense that the Patriots have shown over the past month. 
Agree -- the Rams are going to have their work cut out for them on D -- they need to be super aggressive in disrupting Brady in the pocket and forcing him to throw earlier than he wants or outright hitting him. This last tactic is the dangerous part as too-aggressive play (i.e. the exact style of play Suh has been known for his entire career) will end up with laundry constantly being thrown. We all know the refs like to protect the QB, and especially Brady, or so it seems.

A very delicate balance in pressuring outside in, while the interior of the D line needs to be stout and stay at home to guard against a very dominant run game the Pats have generated, to your point.

steelers1080 said:
The only way this game goes in the Rams favor is if Gurley shows up and plays out of his mind, or if Brady gets hit a lot. I don't see either happening. It sucks because I am actually going to the Super Bowl for the first time and I'm going to have to see Brady tie the Steelers for 6. I'm not too happy about that. 
Wow, enjoy the game! That's a once in a lifetime event. And I think you nailed two huge keys to the game. If Gurley can't go, the Rams chances really go down. He is such a special talent that demands constant defensive attention/accounting for. And yes, the Rams need to get to Brady early and often.

devouredbychaos said:
The Patriots offensive line and legendary OL coach Dante Scarnecchia are killing it.
Honestly, as much as I hate the Pats, their Oline has been playing it perfectly coming into the post-season -- as a fan of smashmouth football, it's great to see a team be able to pound and grind their opponents down just with the run game. 

fred_1_15301 said:
I don’t disagree. Me personally can’t see it. It’s hard for me to imagine him losing back to back. 

I have absolutely no clue on this so maybe Pats fans can shed some light.  Is it that the Pats O line has been playing better in the postseason or that Brady is just a different beast in the playoffs when it comes to releasing the ball.

I don’t disagree. Me personally can’t see it. It’s hard for me to imagine him losing back to back. 
It definitely would be hard to imagine but it also would be hard for me to imagine that the game is over with more than 5 minutes left.  Any time the Pats are in the Super Bowl you can count on a damn exciting game.  I gotta give them that.

I have absolutely no clue on this so maybe Pats fans can shed some light.  Is it that the Pats O line has been playing better in the postseason or that Brady is just a different beast in the playoffs when it comes to releasing the ball.
The line had some injury issues and guys are heathy. Brady is said to have sprained his MCL in the first half of the MIA game and is healed up. And they have established a running game that has kept defenses on their toes. They also have have gone back to using backs out of the backfield more on little dump off routes. Added together, it makes it hard to get to Brady. 

The Pats offensive line is their most talented in quite some time.  Mason and Thuney are excellent pulling guards in the run game and both tackles are capable in pass protection and borderline road graders when the Patriots run. But the real key is the Allen/Gronk TE combo which give NE o-line caliber blocking which creates all sorts of problems when the Pats run off-tackle.

The Pats offensive line is their most talented in quite some time.  Mason and Thuney are excellent pulling guards in the run game and both tackles are capable in pass protection and borderline road graders when the Patriots run. But the real key is the Allen/Gronk TE combo which give NE o-line caliber blocking which creates all sorts of problems when the Pats run off-tackle.
You mean develin...

small sample size with just 2 playoff games .... but for the Chargers game, it felt like Brady never held the ball more than 2 seconds.

vs KC he needed to hold the ball longer in the 2nd half when the score dictated it ... but at that point the KC defense was gassed with NE dominating TOP.

Some credit to the O-line and TE's I guess but I wouldn't claim this unit is anything special. 

I would expect the same strategy vs the Rams as Donald and Suh will get there fast. 

Rams would be smart to press the WR's, not give them a clean release, and dare Brady to hold the ball / throw deep. 

Pick your poison ... get beat on a couple of BIG plays  ... or have your defense on the field for 75% of the game ... and still give up the TD. 

My initial feeling on this game is that LA has the D front pressure and if they clog the middle it could be a long night for the NE offense. If LA can run it and I think they can, all the ingredients are there for another NYG type SB. I think NE would have matched up better vs NO. 

This OL isn’t the same OL that faced the giants. Zero sacks in the first two rounds of the playoffs. Brady is hardly getting touched because of a 2.12 sec average release time. 

Also, Rams are vulnerable to the edge rush. If Beady can find time this secondary is absolutely beatable. 

The more I look into the game, the more comfortable I am with NE’s chances. 

This OL isn’t the same OL that faced the giants. Zero sacks in the first two rounds of the playoffs. Brady is hardly getting touched because of a 2.12 sec average release time. 

Also, Rams are vulnerable to the edge rush. If Beady can find time this secondary is absolutely beatable. 

Good enough for me! I think I’m gonna place a rather large bet on the Pats.

[icon] said:
My wager is on Pats 1H [-0.5] pretty big (for me) 

Between Chargers and Chiefs games:

1H: Pats outscored them 49-7

2H: They outscored Pats: 52-23

That is a stark split. 
That chargers 2nd half was pure garbage time....while bettors dont care....i too will be wagering large on the pats....im ~ plus 200 with my local book...going to double or nothing it

I've been watching The Super Bowl since before it was The Super Bowl.

This is the first time I can honestly say I don't give a rats behind about this matchup.

Positional comparisons based on PFF's year end rankings (for players that played enough to qualify) . . . I didn't make the rankings, so don't shoot the messenger.

QB:

New England: Brady - QB 3
Los Angeles: Goff - QB 8

RB:

New England: Michel - RB 23, White - RB 30, Develin - FB 4
Los Angeles: Gurley - RB 18

WR:

New England: Edelman - WR 23, Dorsett - WR 62, Hogan - WR 105
Los Angeles: Woods - WR 10, Cooks - WR 23, Reynolds - WR 55

TE:

New England: Gronkowski - TE 11, Allen - TE 65
Los Angeles: Everett - TE 4, Higbee - TE 17

OL:

New England: Andrews - C 7, Mason - G 1, Thuney - G 8, Cannon - T 27, Brown - T 35
Los Angeles: Sulliban - C 29, Saffold - G 7, Blythe - G 10, Whitworth - T 3, Havenstein - T 4

DL:

New England: Flowers - ED 6, Clayborn - ED 43, Hightower - ED 58, Wise - ED 79, Guy - ID 10, Shelton - ID 34, Brown - ID 99, Butler - ID 108
Los Angeles: Longacre - ED 48, Fowler - ED 49, Ebukam - ED 59, Franklin-Myers - ED 69, Donald - ID 1, Suh - ID 21, Brockers - ID 79

LB:

New England: Van Noy - LB 30, Roberts - LB 32
Los Angeles: Littleton - LB 39, Baron - LB 80

DB:

New England: Gilmore - CB 1, JMcCourty - CB 6, Jackson - CB 51, Jones - CB 64, DMcCourty - S 16, Chung - S 34, Harmon - S 57
Los Angeles: Robey-Coleman - CB 6, Talib - CB 18, Hill - CB 73, Shields - CB 90, Peters - CB 95, Johnson - S 6, Joyner - S 32, Christian - S 83

[icon] said:

If NE can continue to run the ball effectively then yeah agree, but if they can't and LA runs the ball it is going to be a dog fight.

Mediocre defense? Lol. They just held the 3rd highest scoring offense in history to 0 points in the first half yesterday. Just because they didn't look good in October and November means nothing. 

The Chiefs vaunted pass rush, who had the #1 pass rush in the league at home, only had 4 pressures all game and didn't get to Brady once. Gonna be a long game for Suh and Donald. Brady has had plenty of experience against Talib and Wade coached defenses.

Patriots are that team that gets hot at the right time late in the season and roll it into a Super Bowl win. 

Patriots 34-20
It was just coaching, the chiefs couldn’t adjust. I don’t see that happening to McVay. Not sure why people are so down on the rams, they have a ton more talent then the patriots and for a change I don’t think their coach will get embarrassed by BB.

And when have the patriots won by more than a score late in the playoffs? Definitely won’t be this game.

Just saw a guy on TV named Greg Rosendahl, apparently he filled out his NFL playoffs brackets before the Wild Card games.  We saw his picks.

He is batting a 1000,  hasn't missed a game.

And he has the Pats winning it all and is very confident.

Just sayin'

Just saw a guy on TV named Greg Rosendahl, apparently he filled out his NFL playoffs brackets before the Wild Card games.  We saw his picks.

He is batting a 1000,  hasn't missed a game.

And he has the Pats winning it all and is very confident.

Just sayin'
I'm in a pool with 175 individuals. 30 are perfect up to this point.

15 have The Pats...15 have The Rams.

Just sayin'

It was just coaching, the chiefs couldn’t adjust. I don’t see that happening to McVay. Not sure why people are so down on the rams, they have a ton more talent then the patriots and for a change I don’t think their coach will get embarrassed by BB.

And when have the patriots won by more than a score late in the playoffs? Definitely won’t be this game.
The chiefs adjusted a ton on offense. They had more points in the second half than net passing yards in the first half. Think about that. 

I don't know if they adjusted on defense or not, they were getting manhandled early and were exhausted late.  The time of possession was absurd.  

The chiefs adjusted a ton on offense. They had more points in the second half than net passing yards in the first half. Think about that. 

I don't know if they adjusted on defense or not, they were getting manhandled early and were exhausted late.  The time of possession was absurd.  
They got 30 yards in the first half. They weren’t prepared, I’m not sure how that’s debatable.

ZenoRazon said:
How many rate TV time?
If you consider the local tv sportscaster a "TV time" personality...1

He has The Rams

Although just because someone gets "TV time".I'd hardly consider them "experts".

I'd classify them as "Talking Heads"

Users who are viewing this thread