What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIII Thread - PATRIOTS vs. RAMS *** (2 Viewers)

This Super Bowl will complete a nice story arc.  The Patriot dynasty began with a win over the Rams, and it will conclude with a loss to the Rams. 

Love to see it come down to GZ making a kick and going "snow angel" in the confetti.

The Rams could have lost to the Eagles,  they should have lost today and everybody knows that.

Now up against the greatest Coach/QB duo in history, they will lose.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.   You hit them all here.  Nice work.  

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.   You hit them all here.  Nice work.  
Or ya can just go with.....the worst  non call in sports history.

Come on man, if Usain Bolt trips and falls did you really beat him?

You cannot push a receiver, that is the game.

I;'d be....

I love my Rams but that was ridiculous, I don't feel good about this at all, yep...got lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shark Pool - feel free to post your score predictions and game MVP prediction
At first glance I think it will be a close game. Probably lower scoring than you’d think. As long as the Rams don’t #### themselves, and they play their game they’ll be fine. Need #30 to get healthy though. I’ll go 28-24 Rams. A. Donald MVP. 

Belichick with two weeks to prepare for.....Jared Goff.

This could be over before the half.
Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, last year. Two weeks to prepare for Nick Foles. Didn’t go so well. Patriots are beatable. This game will be close. Hated the way these two teams got there, and I feel bad for Saints and Chiefs fans, but this is a good matchup. Looking forward to it. 

Can't see Goff being able to deal with Belicheck's D. In order to win, they need to go Philly Super Special on NE.
Hmm...I think this time around though, the question will be “can we see McVay being able to deal with Belicheck’s D?”

Super Bowl crowds are notoriously not loud, and if they get loud this year it’s likely against the Pats.  Should be no problem getting input to zgoff so he doesn’t have to make his own reads again.

Doubt it will be enough, but it’s something.

Can't see Goff being able to deal with Belicheck's D. In order to win, they need to go Philly Super Special on NE.
not really..the same D that let the Chiefs run all over them in the second half? the same ones that let the Cheetah run wild in the first meeting?  same d that let Derik Henry run all over them? or Kerryon Johnson, or Pitt's running game?  I don't see it. BB has the same problem with the Rams as he did with ATL - strong run game, very good passer, aggressive play calling. this is going to be a shootout, NE will abandon trying to stop ppl and will just go all out on the chuck-n-duck routine..it's going to be a track meet.

Rams have been the NFLs best team all season, they stumbled a bit there, but they have their mojo back. and Suh is lights out now.Guess who  Brady hates playing against the most?! N. Suh.used to bother him in Miami, gave him FITS.Brady doesn't like pressure up the middle.where does A. Donald and Suh come from? the middle. no one can block either of these guys...Talib will be on Roidhead Edelman. Phillips will design a good game plan to stifle the Pats.

Last time Talib and Wade Phillips played NE it was in Denver, and Talib beat the crap out of NE WR's all.day.long. 

I'm sure people said 'can't see Goff dealing with Saints D' - he did well in two games against them this year.came up short in one, won the other ( on the road, no less)

then he beat the Chiefs and their historically great offense.  lost a nailbiter to the Bears. beat Dallas. 

Rams Oline >>> NE def line. Watch the first quarter of the Giants v Pats SBs. in the 2nd game, the Giants ran the ball down the Pats' throats holding the ball for about 9 mins. they simply couldn't stop the Giants run game. NE will not be able to stop that 2-headed monster. Rams have speed at the WR positions that NE just cant keep up with.

it's not that hard - study what the Titans, Lions, Steelers did against NE and do the same  - play good defense, harass Brady from the middle of the pocket, and run the ball down their throats. chip Gronk when he comes off the line.

Dont forget, the Pats just beat the Chiefs, a team led by the single most overrated HC in the history of the game, Andy Reid. Mr 'brilliant' offensive mind lost yet another playoff game. 

if you told me Saints play NE in the SB< I'd agree that NE would whip the Saints and Payton.

dont see it that way with the Rams.

No one is talking about how stealthy GOOD the Rams D has been playing last few games.they've been fierce. watchout!

And the Rams had a mediocre D all year.  As did the Pats. 
There was a massive difference in points allowed by the Rams D with Talib compared to without Talib. There was a mid-season stretch when they were getting roasted without him but once he came back they really tightened up. 

There was a massive difference in points allowed by the Rams D with Talib compared to without Talib. There was a mid-season stretch when they were getting roasted without him but once he came back they really tightened up. 
Aqib Talib 'should have cribbed that' INT; still, stats show his influence

Excerpt:

He was activated in Week 13, and his presence has reinvigorated a group that lost some of its direction without the six-time Pro Bowl player, whom the Rams acquired in an offseason trade with the Denver Broncos.

"You can see our team has gotten better since he's been back," said Phillips, whose defense Talib starred in when the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.

In Talib's absence, the Rams' defense allowed an average of 272.6 passing yards per game. Since his return, that number has dropped to 192.7. Passing yards per attempt has fallen off too, moving from 8.66 yards per attempt to 6.58 yards, while the rate of interceptions per attempt has climbed from 2.2 percent to 5.3 percent.

"There's just more urgency, more communication," said Los Angeles safety John Johnson, who leads the team with four interceptions. "There's more studying, more focus, more attention to detail."

Cornerback Troy Hill, who started seven games in Talib's absence, said the veteran's presence and leadership have especially been felt in the meeting room.

"Any indecision, he's going to force you to put it out there, like this is what we're going to do," Hill said.

Talib's return also has come with a sharp improvement on third down. When he was sidelined, teams converted 41.6 percent of their third-down attempts. With Talib on the field, opponents' third-down conversions have dropped to 31.7 percent.

All this I won’t watch stuff...do you consider yourselves football fans? Seriously asking. 

I’ll watch the Cardinals play the Raiders right now if they were on lol
Casual fan at best. I have an NFC team I like and an NFC team I like. Both are rarely on in this area, and both have been bad for quite awhile. So even when they are on, I don't go out of my way to watch. Enough of a fan of the SB as an event that I would watch if it were interesting to the wife and I. But the same ol' year after year, we simply can't get interested. Kind of like another GSW NBA final. And I'd read a book before I'd watch a Cardinals/Raiders game.

This Super Bowl will complete a nice story arc.  The Patriot dynasty began with a win over the Rams, and it will conclude with a loss to the Rams. 

Love to see it come down to GZ making a kick and going "snow angel" in the confetti.

This is the Rams' opportunity to gain revenge for the Spygate game which began the Pats dynasty.  Hmmm, how did the huge underdog Patriots frustrate the Rams unstoppable offense? 

The Rams began and will end the Patriots dynasty.  Rams 30 Patriots 24

Belichick with two weeks to prepare for.....Jared Goff.

We get it.  We know your stance.  But please answer this - when was the last time the Pats (with Brady and BB) played in a Super Bowl that didn’t come down to the wire.  It’s the same rhetoric every year - “Pats with 2 weeks to prepare yada yada” and yet they have never actually blown anyone out.  Quite amazing actually.

If the Rams want to be successful, they better figure out a way to pressure up the middle against Brady and press the WRs on the line. This soft, cover 2 and cover 3 schemes will be picked apart.

The Rams should also expect to see lots of pressure on Goff and physical play. The Pats do not have a great defense but they do play physical football and are aggressive.
Spot on. Save us, Aaron Donald, you’re our only hope.

All this I won’t watch stuff...do you consider yourselves football fans? Seriously asking. 

Not an NFL fan anymore, no. Jack Lambert was right: might as well put skirts on the QBs. The game is way out of balance in general, and more specifically the Patriots are unwatchable. I’ll go back to the FFA and PSF now.

Yeah that roughing the passer call on Brady was absolutely unbelievable (especially at that juncture of the game).  Now there were bad calls both ways so the Pats definitely won fair and square.  The Rams on the other hand..........

Yeah that roughing the passer call on Brady was absolutely unbelievable (especially at that juncture of the game).  Now there were bad calls both ways so the Pats definitely won fair and square.  The Rams on the other hand..........
The Rams went into the most hostile environment imaginable, effectively playing the game with one hand tied behind their back because of the noise. They overcame a 13-0 deficit. There was an obvious facemask no-call against Goff which would have given the Rams 1st & goal at the 1 on the possession before the blown PI call. Saints had the ball first in OT. 

The Rams belong in the SB, regardless of what the whiners are saying.

Wade Phillips was the DC for Denver when they shut down Brady and went on to win the SB. Hope he remember what he did back then. If he allows Edelman to run free like these last two DCs, someone needs to punch him in the forehead.

not really..the same D that let the Chiefs run all over them in the second half? the same ones that let the Cheetah run wild in the first meeting?  same d that let Derik Henry run all over them? or Kerryon Johnson, or Pitt's running game?  I don't see it. BB has the same problem with the Rams as he did with ATL - strong run game, very good passer, aggressive play calling. this is going to be a shootout, NE will abandon trying to stop ppl and will just go all out on the chuck-n-duck routine..it's going to be a track meet.

Rams have been the NFLs best team all season, they stumbled a bit there, but they have their mojo back. and Suh is lights out now.Guess who  Brady hates playing against the most?! N. Suh.used to bother him in Miami, gave him FITS.Brady doesn't like pressure up the middle.where does A. Donald and Suh come from? the middle. no one can block either of these guys...Talib will be on Roidhead Edelman. Phillips will design a good game plan to stifle the Pats.

Last time Talib and Wade Phillips played NE it was in Denver, and Talib beat the crap out of NE WR's all.day.long. 

I'm sure people said 'can't see Goff dealing with Saints D' - he did well in two games against them this year.came up short in one, won the other ( on the road, no less)

then he beat the Chiefs and their historically great offense.  lost a nailbiter to the Bears. beat Dallas. 

Rams Oline >>> NE def line. Watch the first quarter of the Giants v Pats SBs. in the 2nd game, the Giants ran the ball down the Pats' throats holding the ball for about 9 mins. they simply couldn't stop the Giants run game. NE will not be able to stop that 2-headed monster. Rams have speed at the WR positions that NE just cant keep up with.

it's not that hard - study what the Titans, Lions, Steelers did against NE and do the same  - play good defense, harass Brady from the middle of the pocket, and run the ball down their throats. chip Gronk when he comes off the line.

Dont forget, the Pats just beat the Chiefs, a team led by the single most overrated HC in the history of the game, Andy Reid. Mr 'brilliant' offensive mind lost yet another playoff game. 

if you told me Saints play NE in the SB< I'd agree that NE would whip the Saints and Payton.

dont see it that way with the Rams.

No one is talking about how stealthy GOOD the Rams D has been playing last few games.they've been fierce. watchout!
Given that you have been wrong every single time you’ve posted a prediction, I’m really glad you’re on the Rams. 

Thanks, GB. :thumbup:

The problem is it’s completely believable as Brady always gets complete garbage calls like that. Horrible call. 

Wade Phillips was the DC for Denver when they shut down Brady and went on to win the SB. Hope he remember what he did back then. If he allows Edelman to run free like these last two DCs, someone needs to punch him in the forehead.
I was just about to post this. Wade Phillips has done as good a job as anyone slowing down Brady over the years.  He schemes as well as any coach against the multiple formation Pats offense.

i just wonder if the Rams can stop the power run offense that the Patriots have shown over the past month. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I was just about to post this. Wade Phillips has done as good a job as anyone slowing down Brady over the years.  He schemes as well as any coach against the multiple formation Pats offense.

i just wonder if the Rams can stop the power run offense that the Patriots have shown over the past month. 
I see Talib was on the team as well back then. Wonder how much info Brandin Cooks will be able to provide.

Here's the outcome of Wade Philips coached team (as a HC or DC):
Points For, Points Against, Passing Yards Allowed, Rushing Yards Allowed, Turnovers Forced

Code:
			PF	PA	PYds	RYds	TOF
2005	SDC	W	41	17	231	72	2
2006	SDC	L	21	24	276	51	3
2007	DAL	L	27	48	373	75	1
2012	HOU	L	14	42	289	130	1
2012	HOU	L	28	41	335	122	0
2013	HOU	L	31	34	365	88	1
2015	DEN	W	30	24	262	39	1
2015	DEN	W	20	18	292	44	2
2016	DEN	L	3	16	177	136	0

We get it.  We know your stance.  But please answer this - when was the last time the Pats (with Brady and BB) played in a Super Bowl that didn’t come down to the wire.  It’s the same rhetoric every year - “Pats with 2 weeks to prepare yada yada” and yet they have never actually blown anyone out.  Quite amazing actually.
just good enough to win by one score....they beat the rams ### in this one, marcus peters is hot garbage. 

I'd like to agree about Suh and Donald, but do you think they'll have time to get to him with Brady's constant 3 step dump offs? I don't.

Yawn.....pats in a snoozer
Pats SB (TB12 / BB era) has never been a snoozer. All won (or lost) by one score on the last play or so. Why would one think this one will be different?

After the games LAR and NEP just played, why expect anything other than a nail-biter?

Skipping the SB is becoming an annual event in our household.
Then you've missed some of the most exciting games of the year. 

I watched maybe a 1/3 of last year’s game and probably won’t watch this year. 
Love or hate the Patriots .. these games have had excitement for both fans.

Hate both teams ... every year? Might want to try following a different sport. I recommend Golf or maybe NASCAR. Lots of different winners.

No kidding.

Do these same folks tune out the college championship game ... just because they don't like the teams that are in it ... year after year?

Not hard to find a reason to root for one team or the other.

In two playoff games, NE running backs have accounted for 518 yards from scrimmage and 8 TD including 26 receptions. That might be a good place to start if the Rams want to win.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
What coach has done it better in the history of the game?

McVay 2 weeks to prepare for a mediocre D. 

Mediocre defense? Lol. They just held the 3rd highest scoring offense in history to 0 points in the first half yesterday. Just because they didn't look good in October and November means nothing. 

The Chiefs vaunted pass rush, who had the #1 pass rush in the league at home, only had 4 pressures all game and didn't get to Brady once. Gonna be a long game for Suh and Donald. Brady has had plenty of experience against Talib and Wade coached defenses.

Patriots are that team that gets hot at the right time late in the season and roll it into a Super Bowl win. 

Patriots 34-20

Tom Brady is simply on a whole other level, what an amazing QB.

The Rams stand no chance of any kind, absolutely....0.

Now we are stuck with this ..snoozer...because of a terrible non call, sheesh~~~~
You mean like the Rams in 01?  Or the Patriots in 07?

Never say never.  Football is a game of inches, effort, execution and will.  Any given Sunday.  And I'm now out of platitudes.

Users who are viewing this thread