What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2009 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Bogart

Footballguy
As we head into 2009, thanks to Tampa Bay and their nice postseason run, your Texas Rangers now have the worst postseason record in all of baseball. In 36 seasons, the Rangers have a single playoff game victory, not playoff series, playoff GAME (Thanks John Burkett). But enough looking into the past, lets look to the future....

2009 is not looking any better.

The lineup should be good:

2B- Kinsler - MVP type numbers before getting hurt

22- Young - Gold Glove winning SS (giggle) who will have another year of near 200 hits

CF- Hamilton - The Golden Boy will get better after getting a full season under his belt, Scary

1B- Davis - 40/100 could be a real possibility

DH- Blalock - Could be traded for a bag of balls, I just wish he had one healthly season, maybe DH could do that for him

RF- Cruz - If he plays all season like he played September, look out. The switch may have finally been turned.

LF - Murphy - If he does exactly the same as last year before the injury, that will be a huge win.

C - Salty/TT - The "catcher of the future" should be decided by season's end. This will be fun to watch.

3B - Metcalf - Here just to keep Blalock healthy and Davis at 1B where he belongs. Anything he does with the bat is bonus.

The rotation is going to suck:

Padilla

Millwood

Harrison

McCarthy

Hurley

I really don't want to talk about it right now. Nothing here excites me at all. Padilla and Millwood in contract years. Jury is still out on Harrison and Hurley. And everytime I see McCarthy all I see is what should be John Danks.

This team, and therefore this thread, is going to be mostly about what is considered the best farm system in baseball. There will be more talk about Feliz, Holland and Main than Padilla and Millwood.

At the end of the day, I trust Jon Daniels and Nolan Ryan and look forward to seeing what this team can become.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laird to Detroit for 2 young arms.

I really like this trade without even knowing anything about the Detroit pitchers for the simple reason that I had Laird ranked fourth out of the four Ranger catchers and now this opens things up for the other three.

Make Salty/Teagarden your major league catching duo with Salty getting 70% of the catching duties while playing DH/1B on the days he doesn't catch. Teagarden gets the rest of the starts and the occasional defensive replacement late in games.

Max goes to AAA and catches everyday while simply killing AAA pitching and waits to see how the top 2 play out.

Interesting that they are quietly listening to offers for Mike Young. With that contract, I find it hard to believe that they will get a ton back. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

According to Ron Washington, as things shape up right now, the Rangers cleanup hitter will be Nelson Cruz.

Kinsler

Young

Hamilton

Cruz

Davis

Blalock

Salty/TT

Murphy

Metcalf

Something to that effect I would guess.

Also, they want to bring Everyday Eddie back. Fine I say. Bring him in and swap him for 2 A prospects when the time comes. That MO is working well for the Rangers right now.

Word coming in that the Rangers have signed Derrick Turnbow to a minor league deal, that turns into about a million dollar deal if he makes the big club. Low risk signing. I like the idea of pushing some competition for the closer role and hopefully someone grabs it during Spring Training.

Wonder why no talk of trying to sigh Derek Lowe or a similiar pitcher, nothing from harrison or Hurley should make anyone think they can make thirty starts regardless of quality or not.

Feldman will be in the mix I am sure as well, frustrates me, but same old Rangers

Wonder why no talk of trying to sigh Derek Lowe or a similiar pitcher, nothing from harrison or Hurley should make anyone think they can make thirty starts regardless of quality or not.Feldman will be in the mix I am sure as well, frustrates me, but same old Rangers
I think Hicks has become too gun-shy about throwing money at free agent pitching (see Park, Chan Ho; Millwood, Kevin; Padilla, Vincente).I have a very sneaky feeling that when the trade deadline gets here this season, the starting rotation is going to get very, very young. Millwood and Padilla traded for peanuts and open up spots for the pitching that is coming up through the minors. Too many arms down there for someone not to step up and show they can pitch in Arlington.

Young wants trade

Could be interesting to see how this plays out. Young is mad about being asked to move to third and now wants out. Deep down I really don't want to see him go, but I really don't want this kind of problem in the clubhouse.

Young wants trade

Could be interesting to see how this plays out. Young is mad about being asked to move to third and now wants out. Deep down I really don't want to see him go, but I really don't want this kind of problem in the clubhouse.
Plus, it seems worth it it to blow the whole thing up and start anew with a complete youth movement. Rays are the model here. Difficult to achieve, but a disgruntled guy like Young seems the perfect place to start.

Yeah hopefully they will add a solid sp, and a young 3B prospect, Boston seems to be the rumor. Hate to see him go, but He is 32 and declining power anyway, he wouldn't be that hard to replace as a 3B, Andrus should be a nice add to ss mid year or so

They need Sheets to even have a chance.

That pitching staff is horrendous

Still stunned Young got a gold glove. Just doesn't make any sense.

Boston just filled out their bench and rotation with a ton of guys that would make big impacts here. Have we even made one free agent signing this offseason at all?

Who would trade for Michael Young? THey would have to pick up basically all of that salary.

Having said that the idiots on Detroit Sports radio this morning wanted to trade the Tigers' best prospect for him.

Who would trade for Michael Young? THey would have to pick up basically all of that salary. Having said that the idiots on Detroit Sports radio this morning wanted to trade the Tigers' best prospect for him.
Old OPS+ neutral player with a huge contract and defensive stats that don't match his reputation. He has some trade value but the Rangers will probably be surprised just how little.Young doesn't hit enough for 3B and blocks Andrus at SS. Ranger management didn't really think this one through when they signed him to a five year extension last Spring.

Who would trade for Michael Young? THey would have to pick up basically all of that salary.

Having said that the idiots on Detroit Sports radio this morning wanted to trade the Tigers' best prospect for him.
Old OPS+ neutral player with a huge contract and defensive stats that don't match his reputation. He has some trade value but the Rangers will probably be surprised just how little.Young doesn't hit enough for 3B and blocks Andrus at SS. Ranger management didn't really think this one through when they signed him to a five year extension last Spring.
Wrong. They thought it through plenty. It was classic Tom Hicks. Keep around the "face of the franchise" move. If the Rangers continue to not acquire pitching and send away players like Tex, Arod, Soriano, etc. to other teams for often little in return or nothing the risked a complete abandoning of even the core fans. They knew the ARod money would likely come off the books when he opted out and just forwarded the proceeds to Young a little in advance. That was the plan all along. Those not here might not have seen it, but anyone that's followed this trainwreck ball-ache inducing franchise for any length of time could have seen this a mile away.

I think if you are calling 2009 lost already, you try and trade Young. Get what you can and move on. You play Elvis all year at short, bring up Borbon sometime mid-season and try to solve your 3B situation. Come 2010, you tell the young pitchers it's go time, ready or not.

pretty painful, Sheets is not needed by the way...See Millwood,Jennings, and any other Pitcher no one else wants to open the bank for..
Sheets is a Type A right? That's going to make it tough for anyone to sign him.I reckon the Rangers should be getting ready for when all of these minor league arms are ready. When is that? 2010?

By the way, the most interesting thing about the Rangers this winter is what Nolan Ryan is trying to do with the pitchers.

I'm very interested to see how this shakes out. I assume he's going to have to start at the minor leagues and change the entire mentality of the organization. I wonder if he's going to employ a strategy taking into account new information or just say, "Hey, I pitched complete games - you should too."

Good for him for trying. I hope he does it right and is an example for the rest of the league.

By the way, the most interesting thing about the Rangers this winter is what Nolan Ryan is trying to do with the pitchers. I'm very interested to see how this shakes out. I assume he's going to have to start at the minor leagues and change the entire mentality of the organization. I wonder if he's going to employ a strategy taking into account new information or just say, "Hey, I pitched complete games - you should too."Good for him for trying. I hope he does it right and is an example for the rest of the league.
The top 10 arms in the minor league system spent a week in a conditioning camp where they never even picked up a ball. it was all about the legs and building up core strength. There have also been meetings in place to discuss The Ballpark in Arlington and how the pitchers need to quit thinking bad about pitching there and turn it into a weapon.Will any of it work? Who knows, but at this point you have to try something and I like what they are trying.

By the way, the most interesting thing about the Rangers this winter is what Nolan Ryan is trying to do with the pitchers. I'm very interested to see how this shakes out. I assume he's going to have to start at the minor leagues and change the entire mentality of the organization. I wonder if he's going to employ a strategy taking into account new information or just say, "Hey, I pitched complete games - you should too."Good for him for trying. I hope he does it right and is an example for the rest of the league.
The top 10 arms in the minor league system spent a week in a conditioning camp where they never even picked up a ball. it was all about the legs and building up core strength. There have also been meetings in place to discuss The Ballpark in Arlington and how the pitchers need to quit thinking bad about pitching there and turn it into a weapon.Will any of it work? Who knows, but at this point you have to try something and I like what they are trying.
Agreed. I hope it works. "It's easier to find 4 pitchers than 5." -- Earl Weaver

pgreenfan said:
What do people think Michael Young could actually bring back in trade... What teams could be interested?
Very little. To quote a scout - "Nice player. Horrible contract."

Why not move Young back to 2nd or at least give him an option of 2nd or 3rd. Kinsler can haul his butt to the OF where he belongs. We all know he'll be in right eventually anyways.

Why not move Young back to 2nd or at least give him an option of 2nd or 3rd. Kinsler can haul his butt to the OF where he belongs. We all know he'll be in right eventually anyways.
This would be the right answer. Problem is I think that the Rangers feel more confident with their OFers and Kinsler at 2B then they do with any of the 3B options right now. If Cruz breaks out, and Bourbon comes up soon to play CF, there may be no room for Kinsler out there.Your winning lineup would be something like:Bourbon - CFKinsler - DHYoung - 2BHamilton - LFCruz - RFDavis - 1BSalty - CMetcalf/Blalock/Your Mom - 3BElvis - SSSpeed at top and bottom of the order, contact with pop at 2 and 3, power with power 4-6.

It appears that the Rangers are about to be crowned by Baseball America as having the number one farm system in baseball, according to Jamey Newberg from a chat with BA editor in chief John Manuel.

So we have that going for us...

This would be the right answer. Problem is I think that the Rangers feel more confident with their OFers and Kinsler at 2B then they do with any of the 3B options right now. If Cruz breaks out, and Bourbon comes up soon to play CF, there may be no room for Kinsler out there.Your winning lineup would be something like:Bourbon - CFKinsler - DHYoung - 2BHamilton - LFCruz - RFDavis - 1BSalty - CMetcalf/Blalock/Your Mom - 3BElvis - SSSpeed at top and bottom of the order, contact with pop at 2 and 3, power with power 4-6.
Never liked Cruz. I think he's a platooner. At best.Metcalf is your DH.That first round draft pick this year plays 1B by september. Here's how I see itBourbon/FreeAgent/Trade - CFKinsler - RFYoung - 2BHamilton - LFSmoak - 1BDavis - 3BSalty/Teabag - CMetcalf - DHElvis - SS

This would be the right answer. Problem is I think that the Rangers feel more confident with their OFers and Kinsler at 2B then they do with any of the 3B options right now. If Cruz breaks out, and Bourbon comes up soon to play CF, there may be no room for Kinsler out there.Your winning lineup would be something like:

Bourbon - CF

Kinsler - DH

Young - 2B

Hamilton - LF

Cruz - RF

Davis - 1B

Salty - C

Metcalf/Blalock/Your Mom - 3B

Elvis - SS

Speed at top and bottom of the order, contact with pop at 2 and 3, power with power 4-6.
Never liked Cruz. I think he's a platooner. At best.Metcalf is your DH.

That first round draft pick this year plays 1B by september.

Here's how I see it

Bourbon/FreeAgent/Trade - CF

Kinsler - RF

Young - 2B

Hamilton - LF

Smoak - 1B

Davis - 3B

Salty/Teabag - C

Metcalf - DH

Elvis - SS
:giggle:Completely forgot about Smoak. I think I like your lineup and defense even better. Now if we can just get the rotation figured out.

Curious why you think Kinsler belongs in the outfield?Would be more likely if they move Young back to 2B to move Kinsler to 3B.

Wouldn't be MY winning lineup...but I am curious1) Why are you moving Hamilton out of CF?2) Why would you pick Metcalf over Blalock? (assuming his arm was healthy)3) Why are you trying to rush Borbon (not whiskey) to Arlington......he is NOT ready...yet4) No David Murphy in your lineup?

Their offense could be scary good. But the fact remains.....they have NO pitching. I could actually see them making a run at the AL West with a declining Angels team.

If Hurley has a Verlander(esq) year they could be dangerous. But Milwood and Padilla are garbage.

As a Boston fan, i am DYING for a nice young catcher to split time with Varitek this year and replace him in a couple of years. I don't understand why the Sox would not be inclined to trade Bucholtz for Salty/T-Bag....

If Healthy most of the season you will see this lineup

2B-Kinsler (not enough power to move to a corner)

SS-Young

CF-Hamilton

1B-C Davis

RF-Cruz- Continuing to hit in the Winter Leagues quite well

DH-Salty, Blaylock, Max Ramirez (tearing it up in the Winter leagues as well), Smoak (late in the year at best doesn't really have a position)

3B-Metcalf (if he hits at all this spring), C Davis (as needed, and to get Salty some at bats)

LF-Murphy (until he fades away),

C-Teagarden-if he hits at all, this is his job

Wouldn't be MY winning lineup...but I am curious1) Why are you moving Hamilton out of CF?2) Why would you pick Metcalf over Blalock? (assuming his arm was healthy)3) Why are you trying to rush Borbon (not whiskey) to Arlington......he is NOT ready...yet4) No David Murphy in your lineup?
1) I think when this thing is good, Borbon in CF and Josh in the corner will make for an elite defensive OF. While some teams can't field a single legit CF, your team has two on the field at the same time.2) I don't trust Blalock to ever play 3B and be healthy at the same time. He is a 1B or DH at this point at his career. If he could still handle 3B that makes things much easier, but I just don't see it.3) I see Borbon with as much talent as Elvis, and I am seduced by the idea of an elite defensive CF in this ballpark and true speed at the top of the lineup. If you are going to play Elvis at this level, you might as well bite the bullet and let both get their seasoning at the same time.4) All depends on how Cruz plays out. If Murphy is your 4th OF then your team is in really good shape.

awesomeness said:
[warning] I am a baseball noob. And this post is about fantasy baseball. [/warning]Does Chris Davis really have the potential to get 40/100 in a season? This year even? Also, what do you guys think his batting average will be this year and will he ever become a .275 hitter?
Bill James thinks he can do it. That is good enough for me right now. The guy has legit power, just a matter of how he handles a full season and the slumps that are sure to happen along the way.

Curious why you think Kinsler belongs in the outfield?Would be more likely if they move Young back to 2B to move Kinsler to 3B.
Because he can't move to his left, right, jump or handle double plays. Other than that he's great.

Their offense could be scary good. But the fact remains.....they have NO pitching. I could actually see them making a run at the AL West with a declining Angels team. If Hurley has a Verlander(esq) year they could be dangerous. But Milwood and Padilla are garbage. As a Boston fan, i am DYING for a nice young catcher to split time with Varitek this year and replace him in a couple of years. I don't understand why the Sox would not be inclined to trade Bucholtz for Salty/T-Bag....
This is still a team a year away. No arms anywhere to be found and guys still have to settle in.The thing that is promising is that Baltimore is perhaps putting some logs on the fire there and will make the AL East completely impossible to produce a wild card team. The AL West continues to rot away and could be ripe to produce a backdoor wild card in the next few years. This is where the Rangers could actually have some success. But lets not get carried away here.

If Healthy most of the season you will see this lineup2B-Kinsler (not enough power to move to a corner)SS-YoungCF-Hamilton1B-C DavisRF-Cruz- Continuing to hit in the Winter Leagues quite wellDH-Salty, Blaylock, Max Ramirez (tearing it up in the Winter leagues as well), Smoak (late in the year at best doesn't really have a position)3B-Metcalf (if he hits at all this spring), C Davis (as needed, and to get Salty some at bats)LF-Murphy (until he fades away), C-Teagarden-if he hits at all, this is his job
1) IF and I realize it is a big IF, Cruz can hit in the spring like he did last year, HE will hit 4th Between the two LH bats - Hamilton and Davis 2) Your lineup may be the way they start the season.....BUT you still have Young at SS and no Elvis in the building - against the current management thoughts3) Blalock, if healthy (and still with the team) will be the DH

Young has now agreed to play 3B, if we get any pitching at all, could make a run at a wild card
The Rangers have more good, young pitchers in their organization than any other MLB team - whether enough are ready THIS year...or whether they can guess correctly which ones to use in Arlington is another question.................BUT don't discount Ryan's efforts to get it fixed ON the major league field AND the contributions of Mike Maddux this year.

I see the Rangers picked up Joe Koshansky on waivers from Colorado. He's always seemed like one of those AAAA slugger types who under the right circumstances could have a bit of a MLB career. This probably isn't the set of circumstances Koshansky needed because being blocked by Davis and Smoak is worse than being stuck behind Helton and Atkins.

I see the Rangers picked up Joe Koshansky on waivers from Colorado. He's always seemed like one of those AAAA slugger types who under the right circumstances could have a bit of a MLB career. This probably isn't the set of circumstances Koshansky needed because being blocked by Davis and Smoak is worse than being stuck behind Helton and Atkins.
DH

I'm guessing since I get FSSW I'll be watching a lot of these guys this year. I'm not sure if that is a good thing but i can't wait until next Friday at Noon!

I'm guessing since I get FSSW I'll be watching a lot of these guys this year. I'm not sure if that is a good thing but i can't wait until next Friday at Noon!
If you have DirecTV, oe probably even good cable, you should also get FS HOU and most of the Astro games

actually...it depends.I hardly get any Ranger games at all because Fox Sports plays a majority of the Astros games and the MLB Extra Innings package blacks out Ranger games that Fox plays.

Users who are viewing this thread