What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Thread for The Last Of Us for PS3 and now PS4*** (1 Viewer)

I just entered Pittsburgh on my second playthrough. I'm lapping you.
People are going to be doing that a lot I'm afraid. New job means move to the other side of town. So house to sell. House to buy. Move to make. New job to learn. Probably be on a virtual three month break from PS3. And even once the dust settles, I'm never going to have the gaming time I used too. Probably going to make the wife fairly happy.

Holy crap. Just ran in to the first bloater. I've put 15 rounds in to it and it just keeps taking me down. Thing seems indestructible.
1 nail bomb and one molotov should typically do the trick.
I actually used one molotov and two shotgun rounds. Amazing how something that seems so impossible becomes incredibly easy once you figure it out. Am in Pittsburgh now. Have been working on getting a new job and it is sucking up all my time. Have hardly had any time to spend with the game. Been a bit of a downer from that aspect.

(That very first encounter with hunters after you crash is a lot tougher on Hard than it was on Normal. I'm going to have to blow through some ammo on this one, which sucks because I'm down to like five handgun rounds combined between the 9mm and revolver).
Ivan, can you continue from your save and increase the difficulty while keeping all of your progress in upgrading Joel?
Don't know -- sorry.

Holy crap. Just ran in to the first bloater. I've put 15 rounds in to it and it just keeps taking me down. Thing seems indestructible.
1 nail bomb and one molotov should typically do the trick.
I actually used one molotov and two shotgun rounds. Amazing how something that seems so impossible becomes incredibly easy once you figure it out. Am in Pittsburgh now. Have been working on getting a new job and it is sucking up all my time. Have hardly had any time to spend with the game. Been a bit of a downer from that aspect.

(That very first encounter with hunters after you crash is a lot tougher on Hard than it was on Normal. I'm going to have to blow through some ammo on this one, which sucks because I'm down to like five handgun rounds combined between the 9mm and revolver).
Ivan, can you continue from your save and increase the difficulty while keeping all of your progress in upgrading Joel?
No, you keep Joel's upgrades, but can't increase the difficulty. The new game plus is locked into the game difficulty you beat it at (or lower).

Just finished Summer, and started Fall.

The end of Summer is messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of Ellie's jokes I just heard playing in Pittsburgh. There were two other funny ones that I will have to Google.

Q: What do civil war soldiers drink out of?

Dixie Cups
A book just fell on my head. I only have my shelf to blame.

Q: What is the leading cause of divorce in marriages?

A stale mate.
I tried to catch some fog earlier. I missed (mist).

Do you know what's not right? Left... that's awesome!

Q: what does a pirate say while eating sushi?

Ahoy, pass me some soy!
People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow... too soon!?

I seem to be able to only play in one hour doses. The game is so freaking intense.

I am exhausted after getting through area's with a lot of infected.

A remarkable game.

I was just talking to my wife (we're both English teachers) about the emotional power of this game's story. Yes, it's a great game - playable, fantastic graphics, realistic, great attention to little details (Elle stopping to tell jokes, to read comics, to comment on how alien the world before the outbreak is to her), but the the emotional impact of the narrative is really something to marvel at for a video game.

I just hit Fall, so the things I'm talking about are -

1. The way they make you play Joel's daughter in the beginning is masterful. It makes you identify with her loss, especially since, if you're like me, you mistakenly thought she was the protagonist on the cover (i.e. Elle). NaughtyDog wants you to make this mistake, IMO, because later in the game Joel slowly begins to identify and care for Ellie because of his lost daughter. He resists for a long time, but starting in Fall you see how he cares for her - and his brother does too. This is the thing that makes his brother agree to help them.

Why?

Because Joel clearly became a cynical, bitter, crusty shell of himself after his daughter was murdered. The greatest expression of our humanity is caring for others, and Joel stopped caring. He lost his humanity. His growing fondness for Ellie is slowly giving it back to him. He's relearning compassion in a world painfully short on it.

So Ellie is both the hope for all humanity and the hope for Joel's humanity. She is hope.

I admire how the game doesn't shove this theme down your throat. It lets it evolve through the drama of the story, slowly, with real emotive force. It really is incredible for a video game.

2. The death of Henry (the boy?) and his brother's immediate suicide at the end of Summer was tres messed up. IMO it also reinforces the donnee that children are hope. People with children are the trusted ones. The hunters don't keep kids because kids would slow them down, Tommy is devoted to a community of families, etc. When the little brother dies, the older brother loses all hope, and a man without hope is a man with no future.
Again, I'm just really impressed with this game. So gracefully composed.

I was just talking to my wife (we're both English teachers) about the emotional power of this game's story. Yes, it's a great game - playable, fantastic graphics, realistic, great attention to little details (Elle stopping to tell jokes, to read comics, to comment on how alien the world before the outbreak is to her), but the the emotional impact of the narrative is really something to marvel at for a video game.

1. The way they make you play Joel's daughter in the beginning is masterful. It makes you identify with her loss, especially since, if you're like me, you mistakenly thought she was the protagonist on the cover (i.e. Elle). NaughtyDog wants you to make this mistake, IMO, because later in the game Joel slowly begins to identify and care for Ellie because of his lost daughter. He resists for a long time, but starting in Fall you see how he cares for her - and his brother does too. This is the thing that makes his brother agree to help them.

Why?

Because Joel clearly became a cynical, bitter, crusty shell of himself after his daughter was murdered. The greatest expression of our humanity is caring for others, and Joel stopped caring. He lost his humanity. His growing fondness for Ellie is slowly giving it back to him. He's relearning compassion in a world painfully short on it.

So Ellie is both the hope for all humanity and the hope for Joel's humanity. She is hope.

I admire how the game doesn't shove this theme down your throat. It lets it evolve through the drama of the story, slowly, with real emotive force. It really is incredible for a video game.

2. The death of Henry (the boy?) and his brother's immediate suicide at the end of Summer was tres messed up. IMO it also reinforces the donnee that children are hope. People with children are the trusted ones. The hunters don't keep kids because kids would slow them down, Tommy is devoted to a community of families, etc. When the little brother dies, the older brother loses all hope, and a man without hope is a man with no future.
You're going to love some of the stuff that happens later.

Why?

Interesting take. What I'm finding myself doing on the second go round is trying to find things I missed and completing things I did not before. One of those things I'm trying to do is converse with Ellie more than before. I'm not hitting every conversation but I'm gettin more than I did and those build the rapport with her so much more. Communication grows humanity for Joel.If you ran through the first time because of the intensity of the game/situation, you miss so much with the conversation. Truly epic in that regard.

flysack said:
Just finished Summer, and started Fall.

The end of Summer is messed up.
We seem to be keeping on the same pace. I played a bit this morning and we're at the same spot.

I've noticed a couple of things about areas with human enemies:

1) Frequently you clear them out, but then there's a scripted second wave of guys that tend to swarm you.

2) Getting spotted means that they call in a ton of reinforcements.

I'm sure there's some way to get through the Financial District without resorting to gun-fighting, but I couldn't do it even after half a dozen or so attempts. I can silently clear out all the guys that spawn there initially, but the "second wave" seems to make a beeline for me no matter what I do.

1) Frequently you clear them out, but then there's a scripted second wave of guys that tend to swarm you.

I'm sure there's some way to get through the Financial District without resorting to gun-fighting, but I couldn't do it even after half a dozen or so attempts. I can silently clear out all the guys that spawn there initially, but the "second wave" seems to make a beeline for me no matter what I do.
I noticed something similar and virtually every one of my encounters devolved into a gunfight.

I noticed something similar and virtually every one of my encounters devolved into a gunfight.
Another thing I've noticed is that the sniper at the end of Summer can see through walls and knows exactly where you are at all times.

Another thing I've noticed is that the sniper at the end of Summer can see through walls and knows exactly where you are at all times.
This area was literally the last part I cleared earlier this evening. The first time I played this, I worked my way through every house, which meant dealing with several teams of goons. On this playthrough, I more or less dashed my way through it and it was a piece of cake. Granted, it required a couple of tries because I was taking too many sniper rounds to the chest, but I wound up getting through using only a smoke bomb and about half a dozen 9mm rounds. The key is to just dash past the guys at the end and rush the sniper, triggering the cut-scene.

See this for an example of what you're aiming for. (The guy in the video got lucky in a few spots not to get capped. The key is his general approach, especially jumping over the firewood at the end and just rushing the sniper).

This area was literally the last part I cleared earlier this evening. The first time I played this, I worked my way through every house, which meant dealing with several teams of goons. On this playthrough, I more or less dashed my way through it and it was a piece of cake. Granted, it required a couple of tries because I was taking too many sniper rounds to the chest, but I wound up getting through using only a smoke bomb and about half a dozen 9mm rounds. The key is to just dash past the guys at the end and rush the sniper, triggering the cut-scene.

See this for an example of what you're aiming for. (The guy in the video got lucky in a few spots not to get capped. The key is his general approach, especially jumping over the firewood at the end and just rushing the sniper).
That's pretty much what I did. I was doing a lot of cat and mousing and getting sniped for my troubles. Finally, I just said screw it, threw a smoke bomb at the guys in front of the house, and bumrushed my way in like Han Solo in the Death Star. It worked.

Just started winter. Playing as Ellie, trapped in the building with the stranger. Died at least a dozen times. Thought, after a long and frustrating session, that I had finally defeated it. Only then, the guys says "Oh look, another wave." 2 seconds later I'm dead and just turn it off. I don't know if I am missing something or what. But nothing ruins the immersion of a good story like an unbalanced, nigh impossible battle session dropped right in the middle of it.

Just started winter. Playing as Ellie, trapped in the building with the stranger. Died at least a dozen times. Thought, after a long and frustrating session, that I had finally defeated it. Only then, the guys says "Oh look, another wave." 2 seconds later I'm dead and just turn it off. I don't know if I am missing something or what. But nothing ruins the immersion of a good story like an unbalanced, nigh impossible battle session dropped right in the middle of it.
Stay with it. Aim for the head and let the "friend" help you out by letting him kill a couple. Move around, if you are not.

And, if you like the beginning of Winter... you're going to "love" the end of Winter.

I'm going to agree with you on this one. I really didn't like that particular segment. It seems out of place not very well thought-out.

Stay with it. Aim for the head and let the "friend" help you out by letting him kill a couple. Move around, if you are not.

And, if you like the beginning of Winter... you're going to "love" the end of Winter.
I broke down and watched a walkthru video. Once I figured out who was coming in from where, and realized that rifle ammo was not a factor, it got much easier.

Restaurant was borderline brutal but got it in 3 tries per leg of it.

Maybe I will fair better this time around but it took me a good two hours or more to get it. Granted, I was playing this part from about 3:00 am to 6:00 am but it is what it is. I cannot imagine this part on the hardest difficulty.

Maybe I will fair better this time around but it took me a good two hours or more to get it. Granted, I was playing this part from about 3:00 am to 6:00 am but it is what it is. I cannot imagine this part on the hardest difficulty.
I think I got really lucky on the 3rd part where he ran and hid behind a bar and I just snuck behind him and got him on the first try. I struggled at the parts where he has the ability to sprint towards you.

I think I got really lucky on the 3rd part where he ran and hid behind a bar and I just snuck behind him and got him on the first try. I struggled at the parts where he has the ability to sprint towards you.
I need to watch one of those videos because I had the most difficulty on the 3rd one. I was constantly using my listening to "watch" him move and the 3rd one you can't see him as often. I just hated getting to that point, him seeing me, and me having to run away and start all over. Maybe my place of origin was not good... I hid in the kitchen and used that as my hiding place. Maybe a video will show me a different place to hide.

I'm going to agree with you on this one. I really didn't like that particular segment. It seems out of place not very well thought-out.
Just got through this part myself. Died about 10 times and was about ready to throw my controller through the TV.

Restaurant sequence didn't bother nearly as much as the other section I mentioned. Once I got it figured out (won't put what, but if you'd play it you'll know what I mean), it wasn't bad. I ran a lot when spotted, accepted the failure, then hid and started again. I picked a few good spots that you didn't have to worry about triggering him. Then it was just a matter of patience. So, on to Spring. I am at 89% with 95 artifacts found so far. So I guess I am on the home stretch.

Started a new game on Hard and I'm not really noticing much more difficulty so far. Just got to Bill's hideout so I am guessing that the stuff near the end of the game might border on brutal.

That's pretty much what I did. I was doing a lot of cat and mousing and getting sniped for my troubles. Finally, I just said screw it, threw a smoke bomb at the guys in front of the house, and bumrushed my way in like Han Solo in the Death Star. It worked.
Smoke bombs are crucial for that part.

It's pretty much the only time I've used them.

Just started Winter last night.

I thought for sure that Joel was dead at the end of Spring. Both seasons have ended with messed up, shocking moments. Fantastic script work by NaughtyDog.

Anyone here read Cormac McCarthy's The Road? I was channeling the end of that novel when playing wounded Joel, struggling to help Ellie with a weak trigger finger as the remaining hunters closed in.

I said it before, I'll say it again: this is the most narratively sophisticated video game I've ever played. It's a genre changer. I really really really hope NaughtyDog upped the stakes here and pushes other companies to hire real writers and script people to help develop their games.

I also wonder if the people who rushed through this game in 2 days missed out on something. Experiencing this game is like reading an interactive novel. I'm glad I'm playing it in two hour segments each night in the dark. It's like reading a book chapter by chapter, then setting it down and musing on what happened, where the story is going, etc.

I'm sure I'll run through it faster on the second time through, but for now the slow play is key to feeling the suspense, drama, and horror.

Started a new game on Hard and I'm not really noticing much more difficulty so far. Just got to Bill's hideout so I am guessing that the stuff near the end of the game might border on brutal.
I've had no problems at all on Hard so far -- I'll be starting Winter tonight. I expect Survivor to be tough since listening is disabled.

I also wonder if the people who rushed through this game in 2 days missed out on something. Experiencing this game is like reading an interactive novel. I'm glad I'm playing it in two hour segments each night in the dark. It's like reading a book chapter by chapter, then setting it down and musing on what happened, where the story is going, etc.

I'm sure I'll run through it faster on the second time through, but for now the slow play is key to feeling the suspense, drama, and horror.
:goodposting:

I knew going in a big part of the game experience was the story itself, so I wanted to enjoy this thing like a fine wine. Glad I am.

Skimming this thread to avoid spoilers where I can. Got to play for a quite a few hours yesterday, haven't quite made it out of Pittsburgh yet. I'm the kind that methodically searches every area for supplies and secrets so it takes me some time. Bugs me because I know for a fact I missed a safe somewhere in Bill's territory because I found the combination but somehow missed the safe. Also found a note in Pittsburgh referring to a cache of weapons in a room marked with a red X on the door but don't think I ever found the room.

It took a lot of trial and error and growing pains (getting munched on by Clickers) but have gotten much better at sneaking around and silently taking people out. Combat can be tough in different sections and the controls for firearms are still pretty iffy IMO so sneaking and clearing an area is the best approach but takes some time. (I have noticed after clearing some areas of enemies that the usable space is much larger than I first realized. On harder difficulties, running away, hiding and then flanking must be much more important for them to give you that much space.) That said, there are some times when no matter how hard I try I still get seen, and often times I just let myself die and start that section over. Frustrating how shivs were really important and in short supply pre-Pittsburgh but I really haven't used them much since.

Great game with only a few minor complaints. Some of the early sections with Clickers were tough, and a few other scripted moments I died a ton until I finally got it right such as the first encounter with a Bloater. Clearing areas takes a lot of time and patience although you can probably power thru these sections pretty easily on Normal (when I had Bill helping out, I could easily avoid the infected just running around in my area while he took them down.)

Note: I turned the subtitles on pretty early in the game, really helps on picking up lots of conversation detail. I have heard a lot of conversations thru walls and such between soliders, hunters, etc. I probably would have missed otherwise that really adds to the atmosphere and the story.

Just made it to the second floor of the hospital. Think I am getting close to the end. It says I'm 97% complete. First floor was definitely not an area you could stay "careful" forever. Seems enemies kept spawning if you didn't push forward. Bled my ammo a lot until I finally pushed the issue and got up in their grills.

Just made it to the second floor of the hospital. Think I am getting close to the end. It says I'm 97% complete. First floor was definitely not an area you could stay "careful" forever. Seems enemies kept spawning if you didn't push forward. Bled my ammo a lot until I finally pushed the issue and got up in their grills.
You might as well blow through your ammo now. No point in hoarding it.

I want to put in another plug for this guy's videos. I just completely stealthed the area where right after you're shot off your horse (Winter), and I got through it without killing a soul. Obviously you're not going to want to watch these if you haven't beaten the game yet, but once you get into your second run and think that "there ought to be some way to get through this without causing the 101st Airborne to spawn," these are extremely helpful.

Sheesh. Just watched the Hospital video on IGN. I must have killed ten dudes easy on the first floor. IGN just snuck right past them without ever firing a shot. I guess my sneak skills kinda suck. Or more likely, they spent a dozen hours per chapter just figuring those routes out.

Sheesh. Just watched the Hospital video on IGN. I must have killed ten dudes easy on the first floor. IGN just snuck right past them without ever firing a shot. I guess my sneak skills kinda suck. Or more likely, they spent a dozen hours per chapter just figuring those routes out.
This. One of the main lessons I learned from doing the Big Boss emblem in MGS4 (no kills, no alerts, no healing items, under 5 hours) is that we all benefit tremendously from the ridiculous amount of trial-and-error that people from the internet devote to this stuff.

Posting a link to this review in here because I think it captures how great this game is. Basically the author's point is that TLoU is the video game equivalent of serious literature and should be treated as such. He also emphasizes that this is clearly a story aimed at adults, not kids. I've noticed that this is the only game I've ever played where I'm not skipping a single cut-scene in my second playthrough. They're that good.

Edit: This review contains extremely mild spoilers. Extremely mild. If you're worried about spoilers, don't read this until after you've started Winter. After that you're good for sure.

Finished it up today. Not sure how I feel about the ending.

I think Ellie was willing to give her life for the cure, and I think a cure was important enough that it would have been worth her sacrifice. His lying to her and taking away her option for what I feel are purely his own selfish reasons, well, I didn't care for that. I would have definitely chosen to give her the option to give her life for the cause had it been present. I'm quite disappointed it wasn't. I honestly believe the ONLY reason for a lack of choice is due to Naughty Dog's plan for a sequel, which I think kind of sucks.

Finished it up today. Not sure how I feel about the ending.

I think Ellie was willing to give her life for the cure, and I think a cure was important enough that it would have been worth her sacrifice. His lying to her and taking away her option for what I feel are purely his own selfish reasons, well, I didn't care for that. I would have definitely chosen to give her the option to give her life for the cause had it been present. I'm quite disappointed it wasn't. I honestly believe the ONLY reason for a lack of choice is due to Naughty Dog's plan for a sequel, which I think kind of sucks.
I have had time to let the ending simmer. I don't think Joel took the choice away from her but is operating on her, thus killing her, the only way to get at the organism? Between blood samples and other invasive surgery, is killing the host, Ellie, the only way to do it? Sure, I'm reading into it a bit but in some of the cut scenes, Joel asks her if she realizes how important she is to humanity. She probably doesn't know but on the other hand, she is a 14 year old girl. She could be the new "patient zero" for a cure. Maybe her alive is more important to humanity to bring back hope in the world that lost it (Joel not withstanding here).

He may have saved her for his selfish reasons however maybe, after all, his selfish reasons are what humanity needed.

It was a fitting ending. The creative team had a single story they wanted to tell, and I don't think multiple choices would've enhanced the experience.

Incredible game experience, overall. The character animation was unbelievable. I don't think I can jump in for another playthrough right away like some of y'all, though, 'cause that was intense. I enjoy tough battles, and played it on Hard right away, but I agree that some of them were pretty ludicrous. Sure, it makes sense, because they do die easy in that world, but it's also a game.

IvanKaramazov said:
Posting a link to this review in here because I think it captures how great this game is. Basically the author's point is that TLoU is the video game equivalent of serious literature and should be treated as such. He also emphasizes that this is clearly a story aimed at adults, not kids. I've noticed that this is the only game I've ever played where I'm not skipping a single cut-scene in my second playthrough. They're that good.

Edit: This review contains extremely mild spoilers. Extremely mild. If you're worried about spoilers, don't read this until after you've started Winter. After that you're good for sure.
I'm not a gamer, but I've actually watched all the cutscenes cut together as a "movie" on YouTube. It is, at minimum, a better post apocalyptic story than The Walking Dead television show has been.

Part of it is that it's uncommonly well-written and part of it is that the voice acting is far beyond what I've seen in games before. The entire cast is very good, but Joel and Ellie are both just fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread