What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official*** Trevor Siemian latest to pilot the Jets! (1 Viewer)

I know it's not quite the same as coming back from 14 in the 4th, but Siemians very first career start (a mere 3 weeks ago - I'm sure you watched), he brougth his team back from down by 10 entering the 4th quarter to win by one.  In 3 career games, he has 2 4QC and 2 GWD...against the defending NFC champs.

I think it's a bit pre-mature to talk about what he can't do.

ETA: on this team, the QB doesn't have to be THE man.  This is a well coached team with a stout defense, an improved running game, and a pair of excellent receivers.  This is a team built to carry the QB, not vice versa.  Remember - they won the superbowl last year with an offense that led the league in interceptions and was near the bottom of the league in nearly every offensive category.
I get what you are saying. I think it is that way right now and can be that way. I just have this gut feeling that it won't take much for Elway to act on the innate drive he has to have a franchise qb.  It doesn't seem to me that he will let that ride. Of course, if they just win all the time, you let it go because that's the thing that counts. I just question Whether it can sustain. 

I also just think more about kubiak and his style.  Watching the Texas for several years with the great defense and AJ and foster, it was bitter sweet. They were always very good, but never great. Never had the sense they could win it all and they didn't. Always looked capable of more if they would adapt and they never did and this team looks so similar in many ways. 

I just feel like I've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well. when it goes sour it goes fast and ugly. When it suddenly doesn't work people will criticize the offense heavily. Maybe it never comes to that and we are seeing the beginning of something great for Trevor. For whatever reason I just feel nervous watching it. 

I get what you are saying. I think it is that way right now and can be that way. I just have this gut feeling that it won't take much for Elway to act on the innate drive he has to have a franchise qb.  It doesn't seem to me that he will let that ride. Of course, if they just win all the time, you let it go because that's the thing that counts. I just question Whether it can sustain. 

I also just think more about kubiak and his style.  Watching the Texas for several years with the great defense and AJ and foster, it was bitter sweet. They were always very good, but never great. Never had the sense they could win it all and they didn't. Always looked capable of more if they would adapt and they never did and this team looks so similar in many ways. 

I just feel like I've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well. when it goes sour it goes fast and ugly. When it suddenly doesn't work people will criticize the offense heavily. Maybe it never comes to that and we are seeing the beginning of something great for Trevor. For whatever reason I just feel nervous watching it. 
Season long Trevor is a risky proposition dependent on the Broncos record, a scattered loss or two and I don't see any problem with him keeping the job but a run of 2 or 3 straight losses and Siemian will be on a short leash.  He's done a great job so far and his stats have improved every week.  If you need a bye week QB Siemian would be a good play as long as he has the job.

Go back and watch the TD pass to Demaryius and you have to like what you see there.  He dropped back, immediately sensed a bit of pressure, did a quick, subtle little side step to his left, and then launched it down field.  That awareness to sense and avoid even a slight bit of pressure is a good sign. 
He also did a good job of moving CJ over pre-snap to pick up the blitz. It was a very good play for a first year player.

What really happened with the Texans?  They were 12-4, coming off of two seasons that included playoff wins, and then the wheels fell off in 2013.  What were they missing to get over the hump?

It sounds to me like you are comparing Siemian to Schaub.  i'm not sure what to make of that.  Schaub was certainly serviceable for a few years and may have been capable of getting them over the hump if he ever had a solid D (2011 when Houston had a top 5 D, Schaub had a 7-3 record before he hurt his foot and missed the rest of the season).  He had a decent D in 2012 but like most non-Denver teams, couldn't get past NE in the playoffs.

What really happened with the Texans?  They were 12-4, coming off of two seasons that included playoff wins, and then the wheels fell off in 2013.  What were they missing to get over the hump?

It sounds to me like you are comparing Siemian to Schaub.  i'm not sure what to make of that.  Schaub was certainly serviceable for a few years and may have been capable of getting them over the hump if he ever had a solid D (2011 when Houston had a top 5 D, Schaub had a 7-3 record before he hurt his foot and missed the rest of the season).  He had a decent D in 2012 but like most non-Denver teams, couldn't get past NE in the playoffs.
In a way, yes it could be a qb comparison but on a bigger scope I have always seen it as some of the qb and a lot of the HC and philosophy.  It seems like kubiac got into a mode with his qb and scheme where he never looked to continue to develop and change.  Like he settled for this is what it is and it never became more.  A great defense like Denver has that clicked at the right time and won can smooth all the issues as long as they win.  Nothing wrong with it.  I just think that there is another shoe left to fall in this story and I don't know how they will react to adversity.  

The more I post about this I think my concerns and issues lie more with the coach and the Gmail (his expectations from the position) than they do with Trevor.  

At any rate, it will be something worth following all season as situations change, if they do.  

Anyone see Siemian becoming a reliable streamer or part of a QBBC?
Sure, why not.  I didn't take him seriously, there are posts in here that will prove that, and he is playing well.  

Still have no idea if he's the long term answer but:

What if Jared Goff was doing what Siemian is right now?  What would we be saying?  He is throwing the ball better than Dak, and just threw for 300 on the road with 4 TDs vs. the Bengals.  Anyone going into CIN and putting up those numbers is impressive.  

Everyone talks about developmental QBs sitting for a year, then getting their shot, but very few really do it.  Well, thia guy did.  He's three games in, and has played within the structure of the team, and also threw it around the field in a road win.  

Really, it's impressive what he has done this year, just being named starter.  The Broncos plan had to be: Start Sanchez till Lynch is ready.  Whatever QB they have, don't turn the ball over, let the defense win the game.  For the Broncos to toss that plan, and go with the unproven 2nd year guy, they have to believe in him.  

Even if Siemian is the goods, I wouldn't feel comfortable starting him, because I am sure the team wants him limiting chances.  

Anyone see Siemian becoming a reliable streamer or part of a QBBC?

It's a pretty good schedule/strategy to at least think it, especially if you have a middling QB like Bortles who is underperforming.  the FF playoffs is tough, so I'd look elsewhere assuming he doesn't reach that "never sit your studs" status.

4.    @Buccaneers

5.    Falcons
6.    @Chargers

7.    Texans
8.    Chargers

9.    @Raiders
10.  @Saints
11.  BYE
12.  Chiefs
13.  @Jaguars
14.  @Titans
15.  Patriots
16.  @Chiefs
17.  Raiders

I have Rodgers on bye and Eli vs the Vikings as my backup, so I said #### it and am rolling with Siemian this week. 

I have R Wilson but am benching him due to his sprained MCL and being at the Jets.  I picked up Siemian and am rolling with him...at the Bucs who have given up 101 points in 3 games so far, and if Case Keenum can throw 2 TD's against them...Siemian can do that if not better.  Plus...DT and Sanders....they're good.

It's a pretty good schedule/strategy to at least think it, especially if you have a middling QB like Bortles who is underperforming.  the FF playoffs is tough, so I'd look elsewhere assuming he doesn't reach that "never sit your studs" status.

4.    @Buccaneers

5.    Falcons
6.    @Chargers

7.    Texans
8.    Chargers

9.    @Raiders
10.  @Saints
11.  BYE
12.  Chiefs
13.  @Jaguars
14.  @Titans
15.  Patriots
16.  @Chiefs
17.  Raiders

Siemian next few weeks... goes TB, ATL, SD, HOU (now without Watt), SD, Oak, NO... then things get tougher at the end of the season with 2 matchups vs KC, one vs TEN (tough vs the pass so far...) and one vs NE and Jax squeezed in, but that first half schedule is very nice.

9 News Denver's Mike Klis believes it was "difficult to imagine as of Wednesday" that Trevor Siemian (shoulder) will be able to start in Week 5 against the Falcons.
Although Siemian's injury is to his non-throwing shoulder, Klis believes Siemian would be unable to protect himself if he got hit by a Falcons defender, perhaps making the injury worse. "We don’t ever want to put anybody out there who can’t do their job," said coach Gary Kubiak. "If a guy can go out there and protect himself and do his job, as a coach, no matter what position he plays, probably go on a different direction that day." Kubiak has said he's willing to "take it all the way to game day" with his Week 5 quarterback decision. Siemian appears to be truly day to day and looks like a probable game-time decision.

Source: 9 News Denver

Hoping Trevor can recover in time for Sunday. He's earned it.

Fantasy-wise, I don't really care which QB starts as long as I know which one it is before 1 p.m. Sunday ... and that may not happen.

It's funny, Cecil Lammey likes to talk about QB situation in KC and HOU an awful lot but both those teams will be in the playoffs. Maybe their defenses are among the best defenses in history as well.

It's funny, Cecil Lammey likes to talk about QB situation in KC and HOU an awful lot but both those teams will be in the playoffs. Maybe their defenses are among the best defenses in history as well.

The only people who think Lammey's acumen has any value are the owners of this site. 

Trevor Siemian acknowledges he needs to get rid of the ball quicker as a sophomore.
It echoes comments coach Vance Joseph made earlier this month. Siemian indeed let himself get blown up far too often as a rookie, ultimately requiring shoulder surgery. Siemian is competing with Paxton Lynch for the Broncos' starting job after the team drove Tony Romo into retirement. Siemian was far more impressive in 2016, but Lynch's draft pedigree will work in his favor.

Source: James Palmer on Twitter 
Apr 13 - 3:03 PM

Mike Klis of 9News Denver said he would be "surprised" if Trevor Siemian doesn't beat out Paxton Lynch for the starting quarterback job.
This was in response to MMQB's Peter King, who asked Klis for his "gut feeling" on Denver's QB competition. Siemian was passable as the Broncos' starter last year but Denver didn't draft Lynch to be a spectator. The 2016 first-rounder offers a higher ceiling than Siemian and should be given every opportunity to start Week 1. Even if Siemian holds off Lynch, we're guessing he'll be on a fairly short leash.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter 
May 21 - 9:38 AM

Trevor Siemian received the first snaps with the first-team Broncos offense at OTAs.
Siemian is competing with Paxton Lynch for the starting job, but is shaping up as the favorite. The duo will apparently alternate days, but it's telling that Siemian got the first crack. 2016 first-rounder Lynch offers a theoretically higher ceiling, but looked nowhere close to being ready as a rookie. Lynch will probably end up making 2017 starts, but Siemian will begin the season managing games.

Related: Paxton Lynch

Source: Mike Klis from Twitter 
May 23 - 1:45 PM

According to 9 News Denver's Mike Klis, "by all accounts" Trevor Siemian has had "more good days overall" than Paxton Lynch at OTA practices.

It should he noted that Klis wrote this in a short article detailing how good of a practice Lynch had on Monday, but it sounds like Siemian has been more consistent, which isn't surprising. This battle will wage on throughout the summer and fall. Siemian remains the tentative favorite to start in Week 1.

Related: Paxton Lynch

Source: 9 News Denver

Jun 5 - 5:37 PM

Trevor Siemian completed 6-of-7 passes for 51 yards in the Broncos' preseason opener against the Bears.

Siemian played as expected, completing a lot of short throws and taking few risks. He completed a tough throw on 3rd-and-11 to Demaryius Thomas beyond the sticks, something he only did 19 percent of the time last year. The offensive line let him down, allowing heavy pressure multiple times. Siemian's performance was another step toward retaining his job as the starting quarterback.

Why I'm not surprised?

It will be fun to see if he can go forward and give Broncos a chance to compete for the Superbowl? Seen funnier things happen.

Trevor Siemian completed 22-of-32 passes for 231 yards, four touchdowns and one interception in the Broncos' Week 2 win over the Cowboys.

Siemian looks to have improved this offseason after consistently pushing the ball downfield in his first two games and not settling for unnecessary check-downs. He goes through his progressions noticeably quicker and has been more accurate through two games. Against the Cowboy's none of his touchdowns featured overly impressive throws, but were largely a result of his receivers ability to get open. His interception came on a miscommunication with Demaryius Thomas. This is the second game in a row where Siemian has thrown for three or more touchdowns and he should be considered as a streaming option in larger fantasy leagues.

Speaking Tuesday, Broncos coach Vance Joseph remained noncommittal on Trevor Siemian as his Week 9 quarterback.

"It's my job to do what's best for the football team, and that's what I will do," Joseph said. Siemian was positively dreadful in Monday's loss to the Chiefs, and has been methodically fading since flukily-effective Weeks 1 and 2. It's unclear if second-year pro Paxton Lynch (shoulder) would be ready, or if benching Siemian would mean starting Brock Osweiler. It's dire times in Denver.

Related: Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch

Source: Lindsay Jones on Twitter

Paxton Lynch (shoulder) is not a candidate to start Week 9.

Lynch has only gotten in three limited sessions since he was cleared to resume practicing. It means either Trevor Siemian or Brock Osweiler will be under center for Sunday's game against the Eagles. To date, Lynch has been a massive bust, but he'll almost certainly make starts before 2017 is through.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter 

Oct 31 - 3:08 PM

IMHO, Gase's body language/demeanor during that press conference was abysmal.  Even if he doesn't believe it, the coach shouldn't have that doom & gloom aura at a time like this.  Think back to when Vermeil lost Trent Green and how he asserted that they WOULD win with Kurt Warner.  Even Pederson, when Wentz went down.  Those guys took a rosier public outlook, despite how them may have felt internally.  Now, I know I chose 2 instances where everything worked out perfectly ......and it's definitely not like that most times.....but I just thought that as the leader of that team he should be conveying a more positive outward appearance at the first press conference after the condition was discovered.

IMHO, Gase's body language/demeanor during that press conference was abysmal.  Even if he doesn't believe it, the coach shouldn't have that doom & gloom aura at a time like this.  Think back to when Vermeil lost Trent Green and how he asserted that they WOULD win with Kurt Warner.  Even Pederson, when Wentz went down.  Those guys took a rosier public outlook, despite how them may have felt internally.  Now, I know I chose 2 instances where everything worked out perfectly ......and it's definitely not like that most times.....but I just thought that as the leader of that team he should be conveying a more positive outward appearance at the first press conference after the condition was discovered.
Gase has a resting bf in general, he never looks happy. I really miss coaches like Vermeil. 

Trevor Siemian exited Monday night's Week 2 game against the Browns with a left ankle injury.

Myles Garrett drove Siemian into the turf in the second quarter, and Siemian's left leg got trapped underneath him, pinning his foot and ankle which took all of his body weight and Garrett's force. It was a gruesome looking injury, but Siemian somehow walked off the field before limping slowly to the locker room. That last part was the highlight of the Jets' first half. Before leaving, Siemian was 3-of-6 for three yards while taking two sacks. Luke Falk, fresh off the practice squad, is now in the game. Falk was a 2015 seventh-round pick and is making his NFL debut.

Sep 16, 2019, 9:32 PM ET

Jets placed QB Trevor Siemian on injured reserve with an ankle injury, ending his season.

Siemian has torn ligaments and is expected to undergo surgery. Siemian, who had not started a game since 2017 in Denver, made it only 10 snaps on Monday evening before Myles Garrett wrecked his ankle. The Jets will now be forced to start 2018 sixth-rounder Luke Falk until Sam Darnold (mono) is ready to go. Going on 28, Siemian has never had success apart from mentor Gary Kubiak. Coming off major injury, he figures to struggle to find backup work in 2020.

Sep 17, 2019, 1:17 PM ET

thread update @moleculo

... IT'S THE MO-LEC-U-LAR MAN!!!

Saints released QB Trevor Siemian.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that the Saints "plan to bring [Siemian] back later in the week after rosters settle." Pelissero went on to note that the Northwestern product is essentially New Orleans' QB2 right now with Taysom Hill in a hybrid role. Hill would be the presumptive starter if Jameis Winston gets hurt or benched, but it appears the Saints view Siemian as an adequate backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevor Siemian completed 16-of-29 balls for 159 yards and a touchdown in New Orleans' Week 8 win over Tampa Bay.

Siemian did a tremendous job of drawing defensive penalties at the right time, having his one bone-headed red zone interception wiped out by a roughing the passer. The Saints have been slowly building this boring box for Jameis Winston and Siemian fit right in to it. Screens? You betcha. Over-the-middle zone completions? He hit some. Red zone sequences that feel eternal? Siemian was born for this. If Taysom Hill (concussion) can't get right this week, Siemian sure seems likely to be a low-end QB2 against the Falcons. 

Oct 31, 2021, 8:54 PM ET

So any word on what is going on with Taysom & Trevor. I haven't been reading anything definitive this week. Will Hill be back? Is Payton playing coy? I'm stuck starting this guy thanks to Homeopathic Aaron. Don't think I'm gonna have a good time ....

Users who are viewing this thread