What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

FITZMAGIC!!!
I like the signing.  1 year, 10 million dollars.  He could serve as bridge starter or even vet backup if Allen or heinicke take the job.  But gives us another option at QB for this year.

Here’s hoping they still draft a guy to groom him long term.  But for now, I like it

Last edited by a moderator:
FITZMAGIC!!!
I don't mind the signing.   Any of the 3 could start.  Fitz most likely, but if Heinicke or Allen have a good camp they could beat him out (assuming they even sign K Allen as a RFA, which they may have...I just haven't seen it).  I expect it to be a truly open competition, with Fitz winning a tiebreaker.

I don't really understand how NO got Winston for $5.5M, while WFT paid $10M for Fitz.  I'd rather have Winston due to age and future potential.  Their stats are very similar.  Lots of yards, lots of TDs, and a $h!tload of INTs.  But for a stopgap it is what it is.

ETA:  Well, now that I see the Winston contract is really $12.5M, the $10M for Fitz makes more sense.

1. If we're bearing and raising a young QB, I want Fitz over Winston or almost any other bridge-type qb, every time. He's everything you want in a mentor: cerebrally, he's Alex Smith's equal, without the injury baggage, plus a big intangible Alex Smith and many others lack - he's a confident and fearless gunslinger. That's the mentality you want to breed into a young pup from conception, if you want a true leader and winner in today's NFL.

2. Until proven otherwise, I'll steadfastly stick to my stance that the 2021 WFT isn't going much further, if at all, than the 2020 Team...and that's NOT a bad thing. Unless they have a windfall in BOTH Free Agency and the Draft (and it's a rare occurence that ANY Team, no matter how well run, accomplishes both in the same Season), there are way too many holes to fill in one offseason: (Upgrade RB3 over Barber, 2 OL, 2WR, a dominant 2-way LB and 2  starting DB, off the top of my head). Couple that with a schedule featuring our Division (I don't care how good/bad the Cowboys/Eagles/Giants are, this Division always plays itself tough, and 3-3 is absolutely a reasonable prediction for any NFCE Team, almost any Season), + games vs Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, @ Josh Allen (17th game), Herbert, possibly Wilson (Sea will be tough, regardless) Winston/THill Saints, Raiders...our 'easiest' opponents (Falcons, Panthers and Broncos) are all road games.

The realistic goals for this 2021 Team should be:

1. Build a more complete Team for a 2021 or 2022 Rookie QB to thrive in.

2. Possibly Draft a 2021 Rookie QB, if  you don't have to reach for him.

3. Strive for a record in the same neighborhood as 2020 (7-9, 8-8, 9-7) vs a much tougher slate of opponents, while competing in every game.

4. If that record gets you to the Playoffs, be a tough out.

5. Prepare for a long run of sustained success starting in 2022.

Chad Ocho Johnson loves the Fitz signing for WFT, and tweeted this "Terry McLaurin 1500 yard season incoming & I’m guaranteeing that!!"  :pickle:

Chad Ocho Johnson loves the Fitz signing for WFT, and tweeted this "Terry McLaurin 1500 yard season incoming & I’m guaranteeing that!!"  :pickle:
Seriously.  Regardless of their final team record, draft McLaurin in fantasy.  He put up decent stats with Smith / Haskins; imagine what he can do with a guy who can actually throw it down field was some accuracy...

Nothing is ever a perfect comparison but let’s look at Deandre Hopkins with Fitzmagic: 126 targets, 76 receptions, 1,210 yards, 6 TD’s.

With the signing of Fitz, I believe by time the seasons starts the WFT will only have 4 players age 30 or older.  One is a stopgap QB and the other 3 are special teams (Way, Hopkins, Sundberg).... assuming Kendricks, Kerrigan, Wright and Davis are no longer with the team which they shouldn't be.  Anyway, other than Fitz the team is getting younger which is a good thing

With the signing of Fitz, I believe by time the seasons starts the WFT will only have 4 players age 30 or older.  One is a stopgap QB and the other 3 are special teams (Way, Hopkins, Sundberg).... assuming Kendricks, Kerrigan, Wright and Davis are no longer with the team which they shouldn't be.  Anyway, other than Fitz the team is getting younger which is a good thing
I think they were the youngest team in the league last year. Or at least one of the youngest.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Former Bengals CB William Jackson reached agreement with the Washington Football Team, per source.

😀

Dorm Dad

1. If we're bearing and raising a young QB, I want Fitz over Winston or almost any other bridge-type qb, every time. He's everything you want in a mentor: cerebrally, he's Alex Smith's equal, without the injury baggage, plus a big intangible Alex Smith and many others lack - he's a confident and fearless gunslinger. That's the mentality you want to breed into a young pup from conception, if you want a true leader and winner in today's NFL.

2. Until proven otherwise, I'll steadfastly stick to my stance that the 2021 WFT isn't going much further, if at all, than the 2020 Team...and that's NOT a bad thing. Unless they have a windfall in BOTH Free Agency and the Draft (and it's a rare occurence that ANY Team, no matter how well run, accomplishes both in the same Season), there are way too many holes to fill in one offseason: (Upgrade RB3 over Barber, 2 OL, 2WR, a dominant 2-way LB and 2  starting DB, off the top of my head). Couple that with a schedule featuring our Division (I don't care how good/bad the Cowboys/Eagles/Giants are, this Division always plays itself tough, and 3-3 is absolutely a reasonable prediction for any NFCE Team, almost any Season), + games vs Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, @ Josh Allen (17th game), Herbert, possibly Wilson (Sea will be tough, regardless) Winston/THill Saints, Raiders...our 'easiest' opponents (Falcons, Panthers and Broncos) are all road games.

The realistic goals for this 2021 Team should be:

1. Build a more complete Team for a 2021 or 2022 Rookie QB to thrive in.

2. Possibly Draft a 2021 Rookie QB, if  you don't have to reach for him.

3. Strive for a record in the same neighborhood as 2020 (7-9, 8-8, 9-7) vs a much tougher slate of opponents, while competing in every game.

4. If that record gets you to the Playoffs, be a tough out.

5. Prepare for a long run of sustained success starting in 2022.
Personally i dont agree.  For me the schedule thing is kind of overblown.  14/16 games are shared with the rest of the division.  So it is only 2 games different.  I also don't think the growth of the possible qb upgrade is to be understated.  Smith was basically unable to move much at all.  Haskins cost WFT so many times with picks etc.  Fitz does that to sometimes but he is mobile and has hot streaks also which carry you.  They can add more in FA as they have over 100 MM in cap space next year as of a few days ago.  It depends on what the rest of the division does.  Can Dallas improve on Defense?  Can Hurts carry Phily?  Does NYG improve on offense? I am optomistic.

Washington was always one of my least favorite teams in the league. I think most of that comes from the owner who is easy to dislike. This changed last year. Rivera has been a revolution to this ball club. They seem to be making good decisions from a personnel standpoint. As it was earlier mentioned with cap room historically this team would be signing people like the Patriots are. But something seems different and they seem to be really trying to build something here. I hope you are able to land a quarterback for the future which can be a challenge if the team continues to float around .500 for the next few seasons. I will be rooting for you from afar.

Washington was always one of my least favorite teams in the league. I think most of that comes from the owner who is easy to dislike. This changed last year. Rivera has been a revolution to this ball club. They seem to be making good decisions from a personnel standpoint. As it was earlier mentioned with cap room historically this team would be signing people like the Patriots are. But something seems different and they seem to be really trying to build something here. I hope you are able to land a quarterback for the future which can be a challenge if the team continues to float around .500 for the next few seasons. I will be rooting for you from afar.
You won't get much arguement about Snyder from WFT fans.  He did do this once before with Gibbs v2.  Gave all the power away but Gibbs while getting to the playoffs 2 out of 4 years was kind of to old an not a GM type, and the kept Cerrrato who is not a decent GM.  I also think this is a fit for Rivera due to their DL guys.  Just like Carolina they are very strong at DL and they are very young.  As said above they only have 4 players over 30.  Fitz, Punter, Long Snapper, and Kicker.

Under the radar: Ron Rivera has very quietly consolided organizational power over his short tenure with the WFTskins. A large majority of the executive staff on both sides of the organization (coaches and management) directly owe their allegiance to him, not Danny. It's going to be very interesting if all this smoke we're seeing between the NFL investigation and the Ownership group fracture politics continues to play out, what happens...

Glad we're not on the hook for the Trent Williams contract.

RB Lamar Miller re-ups for 1 year. I know, so what...but it that guy has any pop in his drop whatsoever, I'll take it over PBarber.

Okay, so by all accounts, we have improved in 2 positions (and possibly 3 as I think Miller with 1 leg is better than Barber at this point) So assuming Washington can sign one of the top 3 WRs and hopefully a LB (if any solid ones are left) where does that leave us in the draft? WR or OT still seem most likely in the 1st? 

Okay, so by all accounts, we have improved in 2 positions (and possibly 3 as I think Miller with 1 leg is better than Barber at this point) So assuming Washington can sign one of the top 3 WRs and hopefully a LB (if any solid ones are left) where does that leave us in the draft? WR or OT still seem most likely in the 1st? 
I think all 3 draftable WRs will be gone, so they will likely get one in FA.  Probably waiting out to pay a lower salary.

OL: Christian Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker

CB.  I wonder if Caleb Fairley or Surtain might drop. They keep moving down.  Or Jaycee Horn might be a good fit.  

LB:  They need MLB and a LB that can run w TEs.  I don't know who that is.  Ojulari?

nittanylion said:
Under the radar: Ron Rivera has very quietly consolided organizational power over his short tenure with the WFTskins. A large majority of the executive staff on both sides of the organization (coaches and management) directly owe their allegiance to him, not Danny. It's going to be very interesting if all this smoke we're seeing between the NFL investigation and the Ownership group fracture politics continues to play out, what happens...
Notice the lack of “leaks” before these FA signings?

If Dan can really stay away.
Not that I have inside info, but Ron seems like the kind of guy that would have said, you monkey with anything and I'm not interested. I'm pretty sure expectations were agreed upon when he took the job. At least it sure seems that way so far. 

Not that I have inside info, but Ron seems like the kind of guy that would have said, you monkey with anything and I'm not interested. I'm pretty sure expectations were agreed upon when he took the job. At least it sure seems that way so far. 
Also, I think Nittny made this point, and I've heard this point made on the Al Galdi Podcast (excellent by the way), that Ron is slowly cleaning house of all the old guard loyal to Bruce.  This is not just coaches but other front office guys.  I think by surrounding himself with guys who are loyal to him (not Dan), Rivera may be somewhat insulating himself from Dan's influence on personnel.  

Back in the day, Bruce and Danny could basically decide to draft players or make trades by outvoting Jay.  Now, Rivera controls the Marty's.  Dan would have to come in and outvote ALL of them...that's a different proposition than using a boot-licking Bruce as a wedge to get his way.

Obviously Dan is owner so if he wants to "stand on the table" for a player he can, but doing it by himself may not be something he's as likely to do, as often...

You don't win football games in March and April, so I take it with a monster grain of salt, but still it's a neat headline:

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1372387573310586881

Per

@KevinColePFF's Improvement Index, the Washington Football Team is the NFL's most improved team in Free Agency

FULL in-depth look here http://bit.ly/3r2aUGc

What is equally encouraging:  Fitzpatrick, Jackson, and Samuel all signed to reasonable contracts, that will not "break the bank."  Things are being done differently.

Washington fans, check this out. Really puts it in perspective how improved our team SHOULD be:

Ryan Fitzpatrick's Last 16 starts:

4,414 Yards

27 Touchdowns

13 Interceptions

65.2 Completion %

WFT Quarterback Last 16 Starts:

3,768 Yards

16 Touchdowns

16 Interceptions

64.7 Completion %

Both on exactly 599 attempts.

And when you think about how many games we lost by a TD or less this year (5 games, 3 of which we lost by 3 points or less) those 11 extra TDs would have made quite a difference huh? 

"Winning off the field".  But in a good way.  I like what they've done.  I also love the quiet late night announcements.  For a club that bragged about overpaying minute 1 into FA for Fat @$$ Al Haynesworth and trading for a QB behind the head coaches back, it's nice to have adults in the building.

Still gotta figure out the LB issue.  The DL will never be what it can be without a run stopping MLB and a TE covering OLB.

I hate to be the debbie downer since it's been such a good year for WAS fans but imo they could have gained more by spending their money differently this offseason(but admittedly it's still not over).

- I almost NEVER criticize investment in the OL but paying $18mil for an interior OLman is pretty crazy. Not saying that it wouldn't have been a downgrade but how many holes could they have filled with that much money? Three starters? Four? Keep in mind this is one of the better drafts for OL talent as well. They have handled this situation worse than Kirk Cousins imo. This is closer to a Dak Preskott in DAL level of bungling. 

- Again, I don't dislike Samuel as a player but 3yr/$36mil seems like a healthy investment for a #2 WR in a draft that is supposed to be FULL of WR talent. Admittedly, the draft was full of WR talent last season and they waited until the last day of the draft to take one. Not unhappy they signed a WR, I just would have rather seen them take a flyer on a Dede Westbrook type and a Tyrell Williams type AND draft a WR on day 2 of the draft. The way Rivera typically wants to win doesn't really justify the salary Samuel got for a WR#2 imo. The advantage is he should be familiar with the offense and we don't know how the salary is structured I guess.

- I LOVE acquiring CB's in the modern game, but this is another instance where I'm not sure that Riveras system is one where you shell out 3yr/$42mil on a guy. Admittedly, this is a position that would have been more difficult to address in the draft but Mike Hilton went for 4yr/$24mil. Still glad they didn't give Darby the 3yr/$30mil deal Darby got from den though, that would have been an even worse move. But maybe that's the point, in the Rivera system with that DL imo you can get by with some "good" CB's that you don't have to pay a boat load of money. 

- No problems with the Fitz signing but if your presumed starter is turning 39yo during the season I would have hoped that they would still be looking to upgrade the backup to compete with Heinicke to be the active backup on game days. Not only will Fitz be turning 39yo during the season but he has only started 16 games once since 2013 so you need 3 QB's on the roster and before you type it..... NO, I'm not counting Kyle Allen as a reasonable backup. Not even sure that we have seen enough to even know if Heinicke can be a competent week to week starter should he be thrust into that job. Really wish they would have taken a stab at Trubisky. Would love to see them reach out to Mariota. Both guys are cheap with tools. 

I know people will say they need good players and the guys they signed are upgrades, I'm just saying guys like Jayon Brown(LB)[1yr/$6mil], Everett(TE)[1yr/$6mil ], Higgins(WR)[1yr/$3mil], Mack(RB)[1yr/$2Mil], King(S/CB)[1yr/$4mil], Joyner(S/CB)[1yr/$5mil] could have really plugged a lot of glaring holes before you go into the draft with so many needs. People will chime in with, "Yeah but the guys they signed are better than the guys you listed" and I'm not challenging that. What I'm saying is signing 8 guys that play a big role on the team would probably contribute to wins more than spending a lot more money on a higher tiered FA at CB and WR#2 on a Rivera led team. Not sure where the contract details are but I'm guessing they have spent close to $50mil in 2021 cap space on Scherff/Samuel/Jackson alone, It really limits their flexibility going into the draft.

Keep in mind there's a good chance the Samuel/Williams contracts could end up limiting how much of that DL that WAS is able to keep together over the next several years as every one of those high picks come up for a new contract almost every year. There are still several guys that I THINK will have reasonable contracts that could step in and contribute immediately. KJ Wright and/or Eric Wilson would make an immediate impact. Eric Fisher would be nice. Trai Turner has played well in the past even if he had a down year last year. Adoree Jackson could help a thin secondary and help on ST. Malik Hooker would be a home run swing(on a very cheap contract due to health history) that could make the perfect compliment to Collins. James Conner/Chris Carson won't get the contracts they deserve because of health but might fare better sharing a backfield workload with Gibson. Josh Reynolds and Adam Humphries would be fairly big upgrades on the WR#3 position(they would have probably been upgrades to WR#2 last year). I don't see much help at TE though which makes the 1yr/$6mil deal Everett got all the more sickening.

Just my thoughts. None of the 2021 signings are nearly as bad as the Landon Collins or Paul Richardson contracts of years ago, but that is a pretty easy pole vaulting bar to limbo underneath.

Ryan Anderson to the Falcons.

Falcons sign Mike Davis as well, 2/5.5M. IMHO, that sucks. Very cheap deal for what would have been a massive upgrade over Peyton Barber. Blue-collar, lunch-pail type guy who sets an example with his attitude and play, both in the locker room and on the field. Durable, as well. Guys like Mike Davis may seem like a-dime-a-dozen, but they're not.

Gibson/Davis/McKissic is almost the ideal 3-headed backfield that could have given the WFTskins a formidable running game.

I'll continue to hope we find a quality replacement for Barber, and that Bryce Love contributes something, eventually.

...but I think this was a cheap missed opportunity to be better.

Ryan Anderson to the Falcons.

Falcons sign Mike Davis as well, 2/5.5M. IMHO, that sucks. Very cheap deal for what would have been a massive upgrade over Peyton Barber. Blue-collar, lunch-pail type guy who sets an example with his attitude and play, both in the locker room and on the field. Durable, as well. Guys like Mike Davis may seem like a-dime-a-dozen, but they're not.

Gibson/Davis/McKissic is almost the ideal 3-headed backfield that could have given the WFTskins a formidable running game.

I'll continue to hope we find a quality replacement for Barber, and that Bryce Love contributes something, eventually.

I think they passed because I fully expect them to draft a RB in the first 4 rounds.  And likely cut Bryce Love.   I don't think they'd go early and get Etienne or Harris, cause they have too many needs to do that.  But another RB with one of the 3rd round picks would go a long way, cause they have to be better than Barber.  Carter, Sermon, Patterson, and Herbert are all projected in round 3-5.  Kinda thinking we're gonna see one of them

I like your point overall that FA RB's are so cheap it's crazy not to pick one(or more up) to supplement your RBBC.

When Mike Davis came into the league from South Carolina I was pretty excited about his upside but at least there are still some guys out there that could step in and play a valuable role in the offense. James Conner and Damian Williams would be good targets. I've always had a soft spot for both Tevin Coleman and TJ Yeldon although I'm sure I'm higher on them than most people.

I would have thought James White was a shoe-in to get signed by TB but they must really be playing hard ball with his salary. Given the receivers in WAS are pretty limited he would also be a valuable veteran signing imo. He's always been an under utilized weapon given his ability to get just enough for a first down. Maybe not as dynamic as a guy like Gibson but great at moving the chains and extending drives. Sort of a McKissic ++ in my book. 

Washington Football Team owner Dan Snyder is buying out the team's minority owners. 

The New York Times reports NFL owners next week are expected to approve a waiver that would let Snyder take on an additional $450 million in debt in order to buy out the Football Team's minority owners, who would get around $875 million for 40.5 percent of the team. This would end one of the ugliest, most protracted ownership battles in league history. The buyout comes as an investigation into sexual misconduct within the organization concludes. The team in 2009 paid a female former employee $1.6 million in a confidential settlement after the woman accused Snyder of sexual misconduct. Many women who have worked for the team have said Snyder regularly denigrated women employees. He will have to repay the $450 million by March 2028, according to the Times. Washington fans can look forward to many years -- perhaps decades -- of Snyder, 56, owning 100 percent of the storied franchise. 

SOURCE: NYTimes.com 

Mar 24, 2021, 8:39 AM ET

WFT added Adam Humphries. Not sure if he was just way underutilized in TEN but I did like his game when he played for Bucs. This offense will be interesting to watch this year.

Users who are viewing this thread