What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (10 Viewers)

Howell was set up to fail by decades of incompetence, even though he'd only been there two years. A fresh start will be good for him. I don't think he'll ever be great, but he may catch the right wave somewhere else.
I only have one share of Howell in a 14 team1QB DEVY (not that anyone cares), but I like the landing spot. I didn't want to cut him.

I only have one share of Howell in a 14 team1QB DEVY (not that anyone cares), but I like the landing spot. I didn't want to cut him.
Had to look that term up, DEVY means a league where you can draft & roster college players? So when did guys like a Marvin Harrison jr get snapped up in this league? Would seem to require following the college game more, which would be rough for me. Each year I struggle to make it through a handful of "professional" games. ha-ha

Had to look that term up, DEVY means a league where you can draft & roster college players? So when did guys like a Marvin Harrison jr get snapped up in this league? Would seem to require following the college game more, which would be rough for me. Each year I struggle to make it through a handful of "professional" games. ha-ha
Yes, DEVY means you can roster underclassman college players. In the league I mentioned we have a one round DEVY draft where only college players can be chosen, then later we have the regular rookie draft. I prefer having them combined, but that's another topic. Marvin Harrison Jr.. was chosen 1.01 last year. I like the DEVY format over the standard dynasty format. It's a lot of fun. The league we're talking about is a PPR TE Premium league with 22 roster spots in-season and 24 off-season. Half of my leagues are now the DEVY format, with varying differences, with the last two combining the selection of college players with current rookies.

Been reading a lot about Vikings coming hard to the top of the draft order for Maye. Giving up 3 1sts + so if that's the case I hope Washington trades back. I trust Peters ability to find a good system QB later, JJ, Penix, whoever!

Been reading a lot about Vikings coming hard to the top of the draft order for Maye. Giving up 3 1sts + so if that's the case I hope Washington trades back. I trust Peters ability to find a good system QB later, JJ, Penix, whoever!
I could not agree more. If the Vikings make a ridiculous offer, we'd be foolish not to take it and set the team up for success in the draft for years to come. I'd love to be on the other side of one of these RG3 type trades for once.

Had intended to respond to @JohnnyU & the interesting leagues he plays in. So tempted because I love providing my "expert" analysis on subjects I have ... h'cup ... absolutely no knowledge of!! ha-ha. Here, absolutely love the bounty haul! As mentioned earlier or elsewhere, load up & if your plan @QB doesn't pan out, take the top guy the following year! The problems with the premise is that Washington may or does want the same QB. They've also gone shopping. The other consideration is Minnesota going all in at #2, leaving the door open at #1.

Agree. There is no guarantee with any QB or any other player. No matter how perfect they seem as a prospect. Picking up extra firsts and settling for say JJ McCarthy at #11 or Penix in round 2 .... I'd be totally fine with that. The important thing to me is they take a QB. Not which one. I trust them to pick the best and if they choose wrong, try again.

Picking top 10 doesn't guarantee a good player. If it did the same teams wouldn't be drafting top 10 year after year. To me the value is in how many draft picks you have in the first three rounds and making sure the staff helps them succeed. That's how you build a team. Give yourself more chances to guess correctly.

Last edited:
Anything can & does happen. Is the trend that's there suggest anything? The Bears, Justin Fields was their starter. Washington, Sam Howell the starter there. In New England, right, Macko. All three of 'em down the road, picks 1, 2 & 3. What's interesting, could be wrong but I'd say Fields & Jones did at least as well as Howell. Even if it's not quite as, when you add in the draft capital invested in each of them, what Washington got in return, comparatively, they did excellent!

Jake Eckberg

@JakeEckbergNFL

Potential teams that I’ve heard will show interest in Brandon Aiyuk if he becomes available:
- New York Jets
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Indianapolis Colts
- Kansas City Chiefs
- New England Patriots
- Houston Texans
- Carolina Panthers
- Arizona Cardinals
- Washington Commanders

Jake Eckberg
@JakeEckbergNFL

Potential teams that I’ve heard will show interest in Brandon Aiyuk if he becomes available:
- New York Jets
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Indianapolis Colts
- Kansas City Chiefs
- New England Patriots
- Houston Texans
- Carolina Panthers
- Arizona Cardinals
- Washington Commanders
That's 22 teams less than there should be.

If Aiyuk is truly on the block (and SF would be silly to do so, barring a massive overpay) he's worth at least a mid-late 1st.

Agree. There is no guarantee with any QB or any other player. No matter how perfect they seem as a prospect. Picking up extra firsts and settling for say JJ McCarthy at #11 or Penix in round 2 .... I'd be totally fine with that. The important thing to me is they take a QB. Not which one. I trust them to pick the best and if they choose wrong, try again.

Picking top 10 doesn't guarantee a good player. If it did the same teams wouldn't be drafting top 10 year after year. To me the value is in how many draft picks you have in the first three rounds and making sure the staff helps them succeed. That's how you build a team. Give yourself more chances to guess correctly.
Looking at the board, which QB would be available if Washington traded down to 11. Trying to think of who is likely to take QB:

For sure:
Bears
Minn (move up)
New England

Maybe
Giants
Tennessee

So that's three definite yeses and two maybes. And that doesn't count anyone else who may try to move up.

Assume top 6

Williams
Maye
Daniels
McCarthy
Pennix
Nix

You'd have to be supremely comfortable with Pennix and Nix to trade back to 11.

I kind of like the concept of trading back but only if we had kept Howell. Trade back, accumulate first rounders, go heavy with Oline, then try Howell 2.0. But I think post-Howell trade, the team is fairly locked into that # 2 pick. Pennix and Nix aren't huge upgrades over Howell so that would be a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Maybe if someone like the Chargers at 5 wanted to trade up to get Marvin Harrison Jr after jettisoning receivers, I would be interested. At # 5 you may get whoever drops between Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy...but Pennix and Nix feel like a bigger drop to me. But they may not even do that as Arizona may do that at # 4.

I can't wait for the draft to get here. Just want it to be done!

Purdy started 9 games in 2022 the year he was drafted. The only thing keeping him from starting day 1 was them trying to fit I think Trey Lance into the job. I think we might see something similar this year. Maye/Daniels sits for a bit while Mariota plays, then Mariota slides aside and the rookie takes over. I also think this is a reason they moved Howell. If Howell performed well the first say 7 games, they would have a hard time benching him. The org is willing to bench Mariota at any point in time (and not that it was in their mindset ... but fans would prefer them to).

While I'd be ok with them moving down for a MAJOR haul, I doubt they will unless underneath it all they really prefer say McCarthy. And I don't think they could make a trade until draft day. For instance, draft Maye and have an agreement in place to move him to MIN for the 11 if McCarthy is still there. If McCarthy is gone then the trade doesn't happen. You can't risk moving back to #11 pre-draft and not getting the QB you wanted all along.

And it would not surprise me if GMs out there didn't rank the QBs in a different order than the pundits. Hell, I could see a team having Penix as their #1. Especially if they want a day 1 starter,

I kind of like the concept of trading back

Not happening unless you guys get a total king's ransom for the pick. Has to be three firsts at a minimum, really, and even then I likely don't do the deal if I'm WAS.
Yes that's kind of what I thought after gaming it out. That's why I kind of clarified thatbi liked the idea only if we kept Howell. And that's too late now. I agree Comms are gonna go QB at #2

Purdy started 9 games in 2022 the year he was drafted. The only thing keeping him from starting day 1 was them trying to fit I think Trey Lance into the job. I think we might see something similar this year. Maye/Daniels sits for a bit while Mariota plays, then Mariota slides aside and the rookie takes over. I also think this is a reason they moved Howell. If Howell performed well the first say 7 games, they would have a hard time benching him. The org is willing to bench Mariota at any point in time (and not that it was in their mindset ... but fans would prefer them to).

While I'd be ok with them moving down for a MAJOR haul, I doubt they will unless underneath it all they really prefer say McCarthy. And I don't think they could make a trade until draft day. For instance, draft Maye and have an agreement in place to move him to MIN for the 11 if McCarthy is still there. If McCarthy is gone then the trade doesn't happen. You can't risk moving back to #11 pre-draft and not getting the QB you wanted all along.

And it would not surprise me if GMs out there didn't rank the QBs in a different order than the pundits. Hell, I could see a team having Penix as their #1. Especially if they want a day 1 starter,
That's an odd remembering of what happened. Brock Purdy was in no way getting that job until everyone else got hurt. They're glad he did obviously, but he was not challenging Jimmy G at all, after Lance went down.

Also, as it pertains, Mariota isn't anywhere near Jimmy G, who say what you want about him, was only a couple years removed from leading that team to the Super Bowl. I just don't see the similarity in situations at all, with 2 QBs ahead of Purdy. They could start Mariota at the beginning of the season for sure, but its probably more of a longshot.

While I do think teams could have different order of the QBs, I think that'll be limited to the top-4. If a team wants a week 1 starter, I think Penix might be at the bottom of the list.

That's an odd remembering of what happened. Brock Purdy was in no way getting that job until everyone else got hurt. They're glad he did obviously, but he was not challenging Jimmy G at all, after Lance went down.

Also, as it pertains, Mariota isn't anywhere near Jimmy G, who say what you want about him, was only a couple years removed from leading that team to the Super Bowl. I just don't see the similarity in situations at all, with 2 QBs ahead of Purdy. They could start Mariota at the beginning of the season for sure, but its probably more of a longshot.

While I do think teams could have different order of the QBs, I think that'll be limited to the top-4. If a team wants a week 1 starter, I think Penix might be at the bottom of the list.

Yes. Poorly worded by me. I think the jist of what I was trying to get at is that getting a few games as a backup , then rolling into starter sometime in Year 1 may be optimal for whomever they draft.

Pre-draft meetings/visits tracker as of March 18

It's too long a list to copy/paste here so I'll just do the offensive linemen:

Isaiah Adams, OG, Illinois (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame (NFL Combine meeting)

Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale (NFL Combine meeting)

Marcellus Anderson, OG, Massachusetts (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Bradley Ashmore, OG/OT, Vanderbilt (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Gottlieb Ayedze, OT, Maryland (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

William Barnes, OG/OT, North Carolina (Tropical Bowl meeting)

Clark Barrington, OG, Baylor (Hula Bowl meeting)

Karsen Barnhart, OG/OT, Michigan (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Graham Barton, OC/OT, Duke (NFL Combine meeting)

Cooper Beebe, OG, Kansas State (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Tanner Bortolini, OC, Wisconsin (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Javion Cohen, OG, Miami (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Andrew Coker, OT, TCU (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Brandon Coleman, OG/OT, TCU (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Darrian Dalcourt, OG/OC, Alabama (Tropical Bowl meeting)

Anim Dankwah, OT, Howard (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Ethan Driskell, OT, Marshall (Senior Bowl meeting)

Christian Duffie, OT, Kansas State (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Mike Edwards, OT, Campbell (Hula Bowl meeting)

Kingsley Eguakun, OC, Florida (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington (NFL Combine meeting)

Jeremy Flax, OT, Kentucky (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Javon Foster, OT, Missouri (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Matthew Foster, OG, Virginia State (HBCU Combine meeting)

Zach Frazier, OC, West Virginia (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Aaron Frost, OT, Arizona State (College Gridiron Showcase meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Michael Furtney, OG, Wisconsin (Hula Bowl meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

X’Zauvea Gadlin, OG/OT, Liberty (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Delmar Glaze, OT, Maryland (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Travis Glover, OT, Georgia State (Senior Bowl meeting)

Matt Goncalves, OG/OT, Pittsburgh (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Tylan Grable, OT, Central Florida (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Garret Greenfield, OT, South Dakota State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Christian Haynes, OG, UConn (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Sincere Haynesworth, OC, Tulane (Tropical Bowl meeting)

LaDarius Henderson, OG/OT, Michigan (Senior Bowl meeting)

Bryan Hudson, OC/OG, Louisville (Hula Bowl meeting)

Donovan Jennings, OG/OT, South Florida (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Michael Jerrell, OT, Findlay (Hula Bowl meeting)

Christian Jones, OT, Texas (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Kameron Jones, OT, Mississippi State (Tropical Bowl meeting)

Trente Jones, OG/OT, Michigan (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Trevor Keegan, OG, Michigan (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Blake Larson, OT, Augustana (SD) (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Brady Latham, OG, Arkansas (Hula Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

JC Latham, OT, Alabama (NFL Combine meeting)

Sataoa Laumea, OG/OT, Utah (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Matt Lee, OC, Miami (FL) (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

KT Leveston, OG/OT, Kansas State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Beaux Limmer, OC/OG, Arkansas (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Briason Mays, OT/OC, Southern Mississippi (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Mason McCormick, OG, South Dakota State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Dylan McMahon, OC, N.C. State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Eric Miller, OT, Louisville (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting) (Top 30 visit)

Lamar Morgan, OT, Tennessee-Martin (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Chaz Neal, OT, Florida Atlantic (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Doug Nester, OG/OT, West Virginia (Hula Bowl meeting)

Hunter Nourzad, OC, Penn State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Mike Novitsky, OC, Kansas (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Willis Patrick, OG, TCU (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston (NFL Combine meeting)

Julian Pearl, OT, Illinois (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Jackson Powers-Johnson, OC, Oregon (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Dominick Puni, OG/OT, Kansas (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Andrew Raym, OC, Oklahoma (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Layden Robinson, OG, Texas A&M (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Spencer Rolland, OT, North Carolina (Tropical Bowl meeting)

Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Walter Rouse, OT, Stanford (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Nick Samac, OC, Michigan State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Tyler Smith, OT/OG, Western Carolina (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Tairiq Stewart, OT, North Carolina A&T (HBCU Combine meeting)

Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Jalen Sundell, OC/OT, North Dakota State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Nathan Thomas, OT, Louisiana (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting)

Charles Turner III, OC, LSU (Senior Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting)

Sedrick Van Pran, OC, Georgia (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Brey Walker, OG, Texas State (College Gridiron Showcase meeting)

Caedan Wallace, OT, Penn State (East-West Shrine Bowl meeting) (NFL Combine meeting) (Team Pro Day meeting)

Gabe Wallace, OG, Buffalo (Tropical Bowl meeting)

Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan (NFL Combine meeting)

Happy and relieved to see this.

I have been happy thus far with Peters' offseason acquisitions. But is anyone other than me still really nervous about Offensive Tackle? I was looking at Ben Standigs' current projected starters (based only on who we have right now) and the starters at tackle were Andrew Wylie and Trent Scott. Look, I know that we're not looking to make the playoffs next year. But we are looking to break in a new Quarterback, and it would be terrific if we didn't try to get him killed like we did with Sam Howell. Wylie and Scott may be decent backup tackles -- and I feel Wylie could start at LG if need be -- but they are not bonafide starters. Yes, we could potentially get one starting tackle in the draft. But, it may not be a great idea to rely upon two rookie starters at tackle. While I realize the free agent tackle market may not be overly robust, I'm a little concerned we're not trying to get at least a one year starter there. Again, no illusions that we're a playoff team. Just would like to not repeat the same mistake as last year and give the new QB some support.

Someone talk me off the ledge.

Hop off the ledge 😂 Lucas is a 1 year bridge to the next LT. Assuming we go QB in round 1 ... several LT should fall to round 2. There are a number of very talented prospects that will fall beyond Rd 1. Guyton, Mimms, Jordan Morgan, Suamataia. And Graham Barton would be awesome because he plays nasty, but he's projected to move to OG. It's a 10-12 deep tackle draft.

My initial thoughts are the draft will go...

Pick #2) Maye/Daniels, QB
Pick #36) Ladd McConkey, WR
Pick 40) Jordan Morgan, LT

If McConkey is gone, I would keep an eye on Malik Washington, WR in a later round. We aren't good enough at that position.

Peters has done a nice job of getting 1-2 year contracts for bridge veterans. Lucas, Ertz, Mariota, Wagner, Ekeler. These are all bridge guys to let them overhaul the entire roster within 2 years.

This is a list of who has been let go. It doesn't include players that were already free agents (ie Curl, Samuel, Gibson). These are cuts and caps casualties. Can't believe these guys were even on the team. Not a lot of talent in this list.

Last edited:
I still think its possible we trade down, get our LT and still get a QB before the end of round 2 (if not trade back up into round 1 again)

Hop off the ledge 😂 Lucas is a 1 year bridge to the next LT. Assuming we go QB in round 1 ... several LT should fall to round 2. There are a number of very talented prospects that will fall beyond Rd 1. Guyton, Mimms, Jordan Morgan, Suamataia. And Graham Barton would be awesome because he plays nasty, but he's projected to move to OG. It's a 10-12 deep tackle draft.

My initial thoughts are the draft will go...

Pick #2) Maye/Daniels, QB
Pick #36) Ladd McConkey, WR
Pick 40) Jordan Morgan, LT

If McConkey is gone, I would keep an eye on Malik Washington, WR in a later round. We aren't good enough at that position.

Peters has done a nice job of getting 1-2 year contracts for bridge veterans. Lucas, Ertz, Mariota, Wagner, Ekeler. These are all bridge guys to let them overhaul the entire roster within 2 years.

This is a list of who has been let go. It doesn't include players that were already free agents (ie Curl, Samuel, Gibson). These are cuts and caps casualties. Can't believe these guys were even on the team. Not a lot of talent in this list.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-sign Hudson and Smith-Williams.

I could not agree more. If the Vikings make a ridiculous offer, we'd be foolish not to take it and set the team up for success in the draft for years to come. I'd love to be on the other side of one of these RG3 type trades for once.
I hadn't really thought about it, and I still think it's unlikely to happen, but I'm kind of warming to the idea of trading back. At the same time, worth remembering that, as disastrous as the RG3 trade ended up being for Washington, it wasn't so great for the Rams, either. I still remember when Fischer tried to troll Washington by sending out the players they got in the trade to the coin toss, and it was a weird flex because none of them were any good. It's great to have lots of picks, but ultimately, you need to nail them

The Commanders announced an addition to their offensive line on Monday. The team has signed Michael Deiter to their 90-man offseason roster. They did not disclose any terms of the deal. Deiter started the final 12 games of the season at center for the Texans last season and he also made 23 starts at left guard and center while with the Dolphins earlier in his career. Deiter has played in 76 games overall since being drafted by Miami in the third round in 2019.

Peters is gonna be such a good GM. His JP Finley interview yesterday was an A+. He's so articulate yet easy going with the press. When he gets asked a question, he's quick to answer it outright or when he needs to avoid it (like his thoughts on the QBs) quick to politely avoid answering it. I particularly liked his answer about LT when the reporter said there was a hole. He doesn't let it go by that he has players on the team already, and talked up both of the guys slated in at LT as experienced. But he does it so eloquently. I also liked his direct answer about Jonathan Allen. He didn't avoid that Allen had frustrations last year. But he also said "we're not trading him". Such a direct answer was an easy way to put to bed any rumors.

That building is locked up tight right now. There are no leaks they don't want. It's like we have a real team to root for.

Last edited:
Peters is gonna be such a good GM. His JP Finley interview yesterday was an A+. He's so articulate yet easy going with the press. When he gets asked a question, he's quick to answer it outright or when he needs to avoid it (like his thoughts on the QBs) quick to politely avoid answering it. I particularly liked his answer about LT when the reporter said there was a hole. He doesn't let it go by that he has players on the team already, and talked up both of the guys slated in at LT as experienced. But he does it so eloquently. I also liked his direct answer about Jonathan Allen. He didn't avoid that Allen had frustrations last year. But he also said "we're not trading him". Such a direct answer was an easy way to put to bed any rumors.

That building is locked up tight right now. There are no leaks they don't want. It's like we have a real team to root for.
Out from the owners meeting is that Peters is going to draft JJ McCarthy with the 2nd pick. Accordingly, very talented but still raw & young. I suspect that's planted disinformation. Quinn did commit to QB being a priority but was clear that when they draft one is a better question for Peters. Really like the idea of trading with Minnesota & taking Bo Nix at 11.

from Ben Standig:
We've got the Washington Commanders off-season practice schedule:
First Day: April 2
Voluntary Minicamp: April 22-24
OTA Offseason Workouts: May 14-15, May 17, May 21-22, May 24, June 4-5, June 7
Mandatory Minicamp: June 11-13

Out from the owners meeting is that Peters is going to draft JJ McCarthy with the 2nd pick. Accordingly, very talented but still raw & young. I suspect that's planted disinformation. Quinn did commit to QB being a priority but was clear that when they draft one is a better question for Peters. Really like the idea of trading with Minnesota & taking Bo Nix at 11.

I hate that plan FWIW. I see Nix as either the 6th or 7th best QB in this class. Taking him at 11 is bonkers in my mind.

For me, I'd love to get Caleb but don't want to pay very much to move up because I really like Maye at 2. I'm less enthused about Daniels but still somewhat-thused about him at 2. If we trade back, and McCarthy falls to wherever we trade back to, I don't love it, but hopefully we got a lot of value in return for that. Behind that, I see Penix as the clear next best QB. He's boring but he'll be solid IMO. If we trade back and then take him late 1st or early 2nd, it works assuming we got a lot of value for giving up #2. Then it's Nix and Rattler and I don't want to have either of those guys starting for my team. I see both those guys as gambling QBs with mediocre tools. They each might have moments of heroism but ultimately they're going to lead teams to losing records.

All that said, I'm not a scout, and what I see could easily be wrong. But, if the Commanders trade back to 11 and then take Nix I'm probably throwing my remote through my television.

If they want Nix they can just take him with pick 36 because he will still be sitting there waiting.

It’s going to be one of Maye, Daniels, or McCarthy and I’d be shocked if they do anything other than take their favorite one of them at 2.

I hate that plan FWIW. I see Nix as either the 6th or 7th best QB in this class. Taking him at 11 is bonkers in my mind.

For me, I'd love to get Caleb but don't want to pay very much to move up because I really like Maye at 2. I'm less enthused about Daniels but still somewhat-thused about him at 2. If we trade back, and McCarthy falls to wherever we trade back to, I don't love it, but hopefully we got a lot of value in return for that. Behind that, I see Penix as the clear next best QB. He's boring but he'll be solid IMO. If we trade back and then take him late 1st or early 2nd, it works assuming we got a lot of value for giving up #2. Then it's Nix and Rattler and I don't want to have either of those guys starting for my team. I see both those guys as gambling QBs with mediocre tools. They each might have moments of heroism but ultimately they're going to lead teams to losing records.

All that said, I'm not a scout, and what I see could easily be wrong. But, if the Commanders trade back to 11 and then take Nix I'm probably throwing my remote through my television.
I've listened to a lot of talking heads over the past few weeks. Like you, I'm not a scout so I know next to nothing. But from where I stand, I do think it might be best to just stay at 2 and take Maye. He's not perfect but I think he's just the safer pick overall. I know Daniels is an extremely good athlete but he's 210 only after adding a bunch of empty weight like a fighter trying to add pounds before a big bout...and he regularly took sacks in college like Howell and worst yet he took a number of big hits, after which he sprawled down like a cartoon character. I feel like there is a very, very high chance that Daniels is injured early and often his first season, but maybe I have PTSD over the Robert years. Yes, the guy is tough and he kept getting up but the punishment those college guys gave him won't compare to the pros. As for Maye...I understand the deal with him is that he's got all the tools but he has that occassional brain fart where he'll just throw the ball away. It's concerning but I'd rather work on fixing that problem than live in fear that we'll only have our QB half the season on any given year.

In a way, this is a weird QB draft year. While there are supposedly more quality QBs than normal, it doesn't feel that any of these guys is a "can't miss" prospect, so you have to just take your best shot. I like Maye as having that traditional big QB frame, big arm, decent accuracy, and adequate athleticism. Daniels a much better runner but I just fear for his health.

I too am coming around to wanting Maye. Maybe not a finished product, but even his "doubters" who rank him lower do say he's got all the physical traits needed to be a great QB...they just think he's raw and needs to improve the footwork. With having a real coaching staff, GM, and owner for the first time in decades, I trust they can coach him up.

I hate that plan FWIW. I see Nix as either the 6th or 7th best QB in this class. Taking him at 11 is bonkers in my mind. ... I really like Maye at 2. ... If we trade back, and McCarthy falls to wherever we trade back to, I don't love it, but hopefully we got a lot of value in return for that. Behind that, I see Penix as the clear next best QB. He's boring but he'll be solid IMO. If we trade back and then take him late 1st or early 2nd, it works assuming we got a lot of value for giving up #2. Then it's Nix and Rattler and I don't want to have either of those guys starting for my team. I see both those guys as gambling QBs with mediocre tools. They each might have moments of heroism but ultimately they're going to lead teams to losing records.

Just going to say this 1st part once, not interested in debating it further. With respect to BQB syndrome, the league isn't where it was but it isn't where it needs to be either. One thing you can find is harder hits to the QB & those which are penalties, there's a double-standard. Add in the legitimate concern for Penix & Daniels, both of whom are slight & to my mind, a light that is only apt to flicker green.

I like Drake Maye as well, would totally support them drafting him. I would prefer that the team trades back & if it's assured that Nix could be had later, I like the move even more! I've seen the same stuff suggesting that he's a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. That could be what we see, no doubt. But that is w/o even acknowledging content that links Nix to meeting with Denver, Vegas, the Saints are looking at him. At pick 19 the Rams have a boatload of picks & a 37 yr old QB. The Steelers are drafting a QB. We have to include whichever team is selecting 11th. Given that it only takes one & that Washington has to hit on the position, I have Nix at 11 because I'm not at all convinced that he's still going to be on the board at 23.

Last edited:
I like Maye, Daniels, Nix, and McCarthy in that order. Daniels is probably the most ready to start. But you get Mariota with the idea the rookie is going to sit for at least half a year while they coach him up and i like Maye's arm better. But what the hell do I know. I don't see us trading out at this point. There's too much risk all these QBs are gone by pick 15. Take their guy at #2 and hope for the best. I think if a trade happens it is both #2s to move up to mid round 1 and get a better LT prospect like Mimms.

I've listened to a lot of talking heads over the past few weeks. Like you, I'm not a scout so I know next to nothing. But from where I stand, I do think it might be best to just stay at 2 and take Maye. He's not perfect but I think he's just the safer pick overall. I know Daniels is an extremely good athlete but he's 210 only after adding a bunch of empty weight like a fighter trying to add pounds before a big bout...and he regularly took sacks in college like Howell and worst yet he took a number of big hits, after which he sprawled down like a cartoon character. I feel like there is a very, very high chance that Daniels is injured early and often his first season, but maybe I have PTSD over the Robert years. Yes, the guy is tough and he kept getting up but the punishment those college guys gave him won't compare to the pros. As for Maye...I understand the deal with him is that he's got all the tools but he has that occassional brain fart where he'll just throw the ball away. It's concerning but I'd rather work on fixing that problem than live in fear that we'll only have our QB half the season on any given year.

In a way, this is a weird QB draft year. While there are supposedly more quality QBs than normal, it doesn't feel that any of these guys is a "can't miss" prospect, so you have to just take your best shot. I like Maye as having that traditional big QB frame, big arm, decent accuracy, and adequate athleticism. Daniels a much better runner but I just fear for his health.
Sit still and take Maye would be my Plan A if I was GM.

I don't see us trading out at this point. There's too much risk all these QBs are gone by pick 15.
Yeah, if to go there & not come back with a top QB would be epic fail, they're probably not going to risk a deal. To your first point, unless there's been some new development then we're back to Dan Quinn's comment. What he definitely did NOT say is that they're determining which of the QBs the team is going to select with the 2nd overall pick. They may, but that hasn't been decided. What he said wasn't a matter of determining who but "where it’ll be happening" is the question. Meaning, they are entertaining a move back.

Quinn went on to say they were fielding calls, but that most of those were from teams not that far down the order. The compensation offered, not good enough. Then, there's what Minnesota did. No way do they make a play to get back into the 1st rd w/o something in place, Washington preferably, New England perhaps. Draft day deal I suppose, due to the one unknown variable, Chicago.

Think I’ve settled my wishlist as:

Maye
McCarthy
Daniels

All at the 2 spot. Nothing else registers. I guess if they could figure out a hop around plan to land one of them at 3 or 4 that would be great, just seems pretty unlikely to pull off.

I am a rocket ship over the moon glad that we have a GM wayyyyyyyy more competent than anyone in this thread, obviously myself included, making the call. We’ve been smarter than them for 30 years but that’s all over now. And Peters could get it wrong. That would be ok with me and won’t change my opinion of him in the slightest. It’s that hard with these guys.

I think he gets it right, though. And no matter who he picks, I’ll throw my full support behind them and understand they did their diligence and know way more than I can possibly know. And that feels ****ing great.

Anyone get the sense that Maye is the pick here. MIN is meeting with Daniels in Baton Rouge today. There's no reason for that unless they know a) WAS would trade with them or b) NE would trade with them (more likely B IMO)

So at the presser today Adam Peters basically said they are NOT trading back from the 1.2. I had kind of hoped they would, but from the horses mouth, they are locked in with the 1.2 pick.

Washington getting a ton of flack for meeting all 4 QBs. I don't understand the shade. Literally no one outside our building knows which way we are leaning. I'd say that's advantageous for trading back. I think they are still keeping all their options open which I like.

The flack I’m seeing is that they met them all at the same time and went to Top Golf before heading to the facility. I think it’s cool and out of the box thinking. This group cares about leadership- what better way to gauge it than throw these guys in a social blender and see who is a natural connector? They want a guy who is going to build relationships with their teammates and be a real leader, face of the franchise type. Think this was a really interesting idea, a big curveball to a typically very robotic process. See how they adapt.

I still think it’s between Maye and McCarthy. Could be dead wrong but I don’t quite see the qualities in Daniels that I think they are thirsty for. For starters, his mother appears to be cut from the same cloth as RG3’s dad was. Also Jayden is a bit quieter and more reserved than Maye or JJ. He's a great dude, can’t go wrong with any of them in that department, it’s just I don’t see him as a vocal leader that’s going to (ahem) command the team. Think it matters a lot to them.

Users who are viewing this thread