What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (8 Viewers)

It's good value and I like that it's not a trade that makes it a lock that Washington sees Keenum as the unquestioned starter. I can still see them going after Rosen or someone else.
Yeah, I was thinking they would have to eat his whole salary. Broncos paying half is a different story.

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 6m6 minutes ago

Broncos have trade parameters with Washington for QB Case Keenum: Broncos get WAS 6th in 2020, WAS gets Broncos 7th in '20, per source. Keenum's contract reworked. Broncos pay him $500K restructure bonus and pay $3.5 million of his $7M salary. Washington pays $3.5 mi. #9sports
Ok i can handle this

This is so great.  Out on AB, out on Rosen, probably out on a 1st round QB too.  Love it.

The next two QB classes are where we need to get our guy, not 2019.  Let's stink it up and keep the cap clear.

This is so great.  Out on AB, out on Rosen, probably out on a 1st round QB too.  Love it.

The next two QB classes are where we need to get our guy, not 2019.  Let's stink it up and keep the cap clear.
They better be really bad or ready to trade the farm 

They better be really bad or ready to trade the farm 
I feel the threads of this organization are really coming unraveled.  Expecting to be one of the very worst teams in the league next year.  Still can't believe they're actually going this way though.  Did Bruce Allen go on vacation??

Should have traded for Rosen.......this is why the Skins will suck for a long time.......
Tua/Fromm >>> Rosen

Rosen is a gently used Ford Focus for $10,000.  Wait a year and we can get a brand new Mercedes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tua/Fromm >>> Rosen

Rosen is a gently used Ford Focus for $10,000.  Wait a year and we can get a brand new Mercedes.
I'm not sure Case was a good trade if that was the strategy.  He's probably good enough to keep them around the 7-9 / 8-8 level that they've been at for the past several years.  If Tua/Fromm is the goal, they are probably better off rolling into the year with McCoy, Josh Johnson, and Sanchez.

I don’t see why this would stop them from trading from Rosen. 
Seriously?  Keenum and Colt will be in the squad and Alex is impossible to cut.  Certainly a candidate for PUP or IR.  We pretty much never carry three QBs, which is why Sudfeld is in Philly.  

Rosen isn't happening.

I'm not sure Case was a good trade if that was the strategy.  He's probably good enough to keep them around the 7-9 / 8-8 level that they've been at for the past several years.  If Tua/Fromm is the goal, they are probably better off rolling into the year with McCoy, Josh Johnson, and Sanchez.
I actually agree, but the landmines I was worried about we're trying for AB plus a 1st round QB or Rosen.  This is like the least Bruciest path which is why I'm thrilled.

But you're right, Colt/JJ would be the best route.

Tua/Fromm >>> Rosen

Maybe but that Cards team would have made any rookie QB look bad. I’m not a huge Rosen fan but he’s not a used Focus. He’s a 1st round QB with a still unknown upside likely being sold for half of what he was valued at last year. 

I feel the threads of this organization are really coming unraveled.  Expecting to be one of the very worst teams in the league next year.  Still can't believe they're actually going this way though.  Did Bruce Allen go on vacation??
They sure are and so this is pretty much committing to firing the coach and starting from scratch next year. 

Maybe but that Cards team would have made any rookie QB look bad. I’m not a huge Rosen fan but he’s not a used Focus. He’s a 1st round QB with a still unknown upside likely being sold for half of what he was valued at last year. 

They sure are and so this is pretty much committing to firing the coach and starting from scratch next year. 
Disagree about Rosen.  Wasn't a fan of his in the draft last year (and I am certifianly no casual fan as Milkdud mentioned) and dunt see anything to change my mind last year.  He would need a perfect situation to flourish and we're not that.

Agree completely with your 2nd paragraph which is music to my ears.

Going to carry 3 QB on the team? 
It’s March. What’s the argument against having 3 QBs right now? I see nothing that would stop them from having 3 now (whether it’s Rosen, a draft pick, or someone else) and then cutting one in August if they don’t want 3 in the regular season. 

It’s March. What’s the argument against having 3 QBs right now? I see nothing that would stop them from having 3 now (whether it’s Rosen, a draft pick, or someone else) and then cutting one in August if they don’t want 3 in the regular season. 
Hope you're right but I have a feeling they are out of the Rosen sweepstakes. 

I know this makes sense but, man, I hate this mentality. "Let's suck so we get a good pick next year!" Seldom works out. Just results in another year the team sucks. Hasn't worked the past how many years?

I know this makes sense but, man, I hate this mentality. "Let's suck so we get a good pick next year!" Seldom works out. Just results in another year the team sucks. Hasn't worked the past how many years?
Because we always eek out a handful of useless wins that crush the chance.  Like 2011, we stole two games late in the year against Seattle and New York which pushed us down to the 6 spot, which is why we had to deal a fortune for Griffin.  

I want  the Skins to be winners more than anything in the world, but I don't have any interest in 8-8 or 9-7.  I want Super Bowls.  We've tried literally everything else.  How about we get the natural #1 in a draft with a franchise QB and start there?  It's a 5 win roster at best right now anyway.  Just give it the extra little push.

There's a real chance now.  The stadium is embarrassingly empty.  Overrun with fans of other teams.  More of our fans give up each year.  Dysfunction abounds.  One real stinker of a season and we could truly get the house cleaning we so desperately need and start over.  

Tua/Fromm or Lawrence in 2020.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I don't know if THIS move precludes the Redskins from making another move or maybe even two at QB before the start of the season.

They swapped a 6th for a 7th to acquire him, but more importantly only pay him ~$4mil. Meh, that's backup QB $. Colt McCoy is making that much. Seems to me they could be competing for the backup job. Rosen or Bridgewater could still be targeted as the starter, but now if plans for those two guys fell through they don't have to swing wildly with an early pick in the draft where there aren't many(any?) guys ready to start. Personally, I was hoping that they would look for a guy like Grier or Rypien on day 3 of the draft to stash on the practice squad and eventually groom to take over as QB#2 as a cheaper option to McCoy/Keenum. That move would still makes sense to me.

I'm not normally a huge fan of Redskin offseason moves but this one kind of seems like a no-brainer with very little downside for a team that was incredibly thin at QB before this move. Now they just have a little more breathing room if their best laid plans don't go as hoped moving forward. 

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I don't know if THIS move precludes the Redskins from making another move or maybe even two at QB before the start of the season.

They swapped a 6th for a 7th to acquire him, but more importantly only pay him ~$4mil. Meh, that's backup QB $. Colt McCoy is making that much. Seems to me they could be competing for the backup job. Rosen or Bridgewater could still be targeted as the starter, but now if plans for those two guys fell through they don't have to swing wildly with an early pick in the draft where there aren't many(any?) guys ready to start. Personally, I was hoping that they would look for a guy like Grier or Rypien on day 3 of the draft to stash on the practice squad and eventually groom to take over as QB#2 as a cheaper option to McCoy/Keenum. That move would still makes sense to me.

I'm not normally a huge fan of Redskin offseason moves but this one kind of seems like a no-brainer with very little downside for a team that was incredibly thin at QB before this move. Now they just have a little more breathing room if their best laid plans don't go as hoped moving forward. 
Keim is reporting this move doesn't preclude them from dealing for Rosen or drafting someone.  Craig Hoffman has said the same thing but more emphatically, so perhaps they aren't done yet after all.

Gruden absolutely loves Colt, so his roster spot seems a certainty.  It sure seems like Alex will be IR'd.  So now you've got Keenum on a team that pretty much never carries 3 QBs.  The one avenue that still makes sense to me is flipping Keenum and pick(s) to the Cards for Rosen.  

Perhaps the Cardinals are still unsure who they're picking at 1 or are now backtracking after getting a taste of Rosen's street value.  This move gives the Skins insurance to at least have competition for Colt, and if the Cards DO take Murray they'll likely want a vet to handcuff him with a vet.  Keenum would seem to fit the bill and that contract is now very tradeable.

I don't see them drafting someone with a high pick anymore though.  They've never shown a willingness to keep 3 QBs on the 53 and we're not really a team that learns from it's mistakes.  I could see spending a late pick on a QB for the practice squad.

Bottom line seems like either Keenum stays or gets flipped for Rosen.

Gruden absolutely loves Colt, so his roster spot seems a certainty. 
I keep hearing that, but at the same time it's pretty much assumed that if Colt has to actually come in during a game everyone expects the wheels to completely come off of the season. He's turning 33yo this year. 

I keep hearing that, but at the same time it's pretty much assumed that if Colt has to actually come in during a game everyone expects the wheels to completely come off of the season. He's turning 33yo this year. 
Fan sentiment?  Sure.  We're not going anywhere with Colt, although I don't think he's all that much worse than Alex.  Another problem is he's been incredibly injury prone throughout his career.  

Still, Gruden has a lot of confidence in him for whatever reason.

Tua/Fromm >>> Rosen

They already had a Mercedes.

The day that you drive it off the lot it seems like the best thing on earth. Two years later you dread the slightest ding because the maintenance and lack of reliability comes at a horrific cost. RGIII was your Mercedes.

What I don’t get as an outsider is why Washington would make this move even if the deal did not turn out to be expensive. What does Case Keenum add that they didn’t already have in Colt McCoy? Personally I’d rather take my chances with a guy that’s been in the system than a career journeyman. Keenum had a decent season with Minnesota two seasons ago but even with the team winning, his HC did not seem happy with him and was doing all he could to get Bridgewater back healthy. He looked horrible last season in Denver.

Maybe the Skins did contact Arizona and inquire about Rosen and were told he’s not available? Even if that was the case I’d would have went in another direction anyway. What would Bridgewater end up costing in free agency?

What I don’t get as an outsider is why Washington would make this move even if the deal did not turn out to be expensive. What does Case Keenum add that they didn’t already have in Colt McCoy? Personally I’d rather take my chances with a guy that’s been in the system than a career journeyman. Keenum had a decent season with Minnesota two seasons ago but even with the team winning, his HC did not seem happy with him and was doing all he could to get Bridgewater back healthy. He looked horrible last season in Denver.

Maybe the Skins did contact Arizona and inquire about Rosen and were told he’s not available? Even if that was the case I’d would have went in another direction anyway. What would Bridgewater end up costing in free agency?
Colt has proven to be injury prone throughout his career.  He lasted like 10 quarters last year before breaking his leg.  It's fine if you roll with a system guy like him but he needs a competent backup because he almost definitely won't stay healthy, just like the majority of our team.

Bruce Allen simply does not value QBs.  RG3 was Snyder's move and Cousins was Shanny's decision.  To Allen, QBs are disposable parts of the team and a mid-range veteran is just fine.

Don't believe me - as far as I can tell his drafted QBs in all his years as GM have been Bruce Gradkowski (6th round), Josh Jackson (5th), and Nate Sudfield (6th).  I could be wrong and correct me if so.  But from what I can tell that's it. 

So the only time any of his teams have had a capable QB were when Shanny/Snyder made the picks of RG3/Cousins.

And therein lies all you need to know about the woes of this team.  Bruce has always got a stopgap answer at QB, and even when he had an above average one sitting on his roster his ego ruined any chance at a long term contract.

I would have traded for Rosen even for the 1st rounder, entirely based on Rosen's potential.  And then if he sucked, I'd draft a first round QB next year.  And keep drafting them every year until one works out.  Going into a season with Keenum/McCoy screams of 8-8 is good enough.

Dr. Octopus said:

Bridgewater hasn't had significant playing time since 2015. It would be a surprise to me if he were a better QB than Keenum. 

Keenum is a little underrated in my opinion, Denver had the worst coaching in the NFL last year(non-Hue division) he was good in 2017 when he had a competent play caller. He also struggled in 2016 with Jeff Fisher, and was serviceable as a young QB under Gary Kubiak, so I think with a solid play caller in Gruden, who usually makes his QB's look better(Smith being a slight exception last year) Keenum can be a credible starter.

But yes, Keenum is clearly not a long term answer. Will Grier in round 2 would be on my radar if I were in Bruce Allen's shoes, but I like this move for Washington. 

But yes, Keenum is clearly not a long term answer. Will Grier in round 2 would be on my radar if I were in Bruce Allen's shoes, but I like this move for Washington. 
I agree with you that the move wasn't bad(I mean just look at what their QB room was before the trade), but one of the reasons I like the move is because now they don't have to reach for a QB like Grier in the 2nd round. Is he honestly being projected in the 2nd? Eesh, it would be a mistake to draft him on the 2nd DAY let alone 2nd ROUND imo. If he's that expensive I'd rather have Rypien on day #3.

Before this trade my biggest fear for the Redskins was they would reach for Daniel Jones in the 1st because he'd just run the Gruden offense... and not much else. Guys like Jones and Grier are just getting pushed up because it's such a bad QB draft.

I agree with you that the move wasn't bad(I mean just look at what their QB room was before the trade), but one of the reasons I like the move is because now they don't have to reach for a QB like Grier in the 2nd round. Is he honestly being projected in the 2nd? Eesh, it would be a mistake to draft him on the 2nd DAY let alone 2nd ROUND imo. If he's that expensive I'd rather have Rypien on day #3.

Before this trade my biggest fear for the Redskins was they would reach for Daniel Jones in the 1st because he'd just run the Gruden offense... and not much else. Guys like Jones and Grier are just getting pushed up because it's such a bad QB draft.
I'm a pretty big Grier fan. I think he's worthy of a 2nd round pick. I think he's a much better prospect than Jones. who checks almost zero boxes for me. I like Rypien as a day 3 guy as well. 

That said, I agree having Keenum means they don't need to reach for a QB, but can still take one if they like someone, without "over-investing" in the position.

I wouldn’t be upset if the Skins took WRs in the 1st and 2nd round. If Crowder leaves we have NOTHING on the roster that can catch consistently. That isn’t going to work in today’s NFL. 

I wouldn’t be upset if the Skins took WRs in the 1st and 2nd round. If Crowder leaves we have NOTHING on the roster that can catch consistently. That isn’t going to work in today’s NFL. 
That'd be pretty bold if they did. With needs at guard, linebacker, and cornerback, they'd need to pretty active in FA to be able to justify that kind of WR investment.

Just draft good players. If you have a need at QB that doesn't make guys like Daniel Jones and Drew Lock first round talents.

Chances are the best player available at pick #15 will be a Jonah WIlliams(if somebody posts a photo with a blunt to social media maybe?), DK Metcalf, or a DL/Edge player. If they end up JUST taking a potential pro-bowl quality DL/EDGE player then so be it. Make DL the signature position of the team and suddenly the LB/DB's start looking better.

Just draft good player.

If they were really smart they would start to address the DB/LB need in FA. But they weren't really smart last season with their DB decisions which explains they they are in this position now.

Just draft good players. If you have a need at QB that doesn't make guys like Daniel Jones and Drew Lock first round talents.

Chances are the best player available at pick #15 will be a Jonah WIlliams(if somebody posts a photo with a blunt to social media maybe?), DK Metcalf, or a DL/Edge player. If they end up JUST taking a potential pro-bowl quality DL/EDGE player then so be it. Make DL the signature position of the team and suddenly the LB/DB's start looking better.

Just draft good player.

If they were really smart they would start to address the DB/LB need in FA. But they weren't really smart last season with their DB decisions which explains they they are in this position now.
I like the DK Metcalf idea if he fell to 15...we need playmakers, period.  If we could fill some defensive slots in free agency then a one-two punch taking Metcalf then Grier would at least start putting us on the right path offensively, with Guise set to play this year.

I know we need safety and players on both sides of the line but you have to start somewhere and can only pick one player per round...I also think we need to start looking at TE with Reed unable to stay health and Davis getting old and expensive...

M

Paying $15M per year for a good and reliable, but far from game-changing, two-down LB like CJ Mosley would be the most typical Washington thing ever.

EDIT TO ADD:

Paying $14M per year for a good and reliable, but far from game-changing, Safety like Landon Collins would be the most typical Washington thing ever.

Users who are viewing this thread