What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

The team seems to be assuming they'll win the NL East and therefore will be able to wait until the trading deadline to see how things play out at weak spots (starters behind Scherzer and Strasburg, catcher, reliever depth). The passivity is making me nervous. The Phillies, Mets and Braves should all be better than they were last year, with the Phillies and Mets potentially decent enough to win if things fall into place. This feels a lot like 2012, when everyone assumed the Phillies division dynasty had a year or two left and they'd be on cruise control in the regular season, and then the wheels came off. I hope I'm wrong.

I know it's just the Red and Braves, but it's still bananas that we're four games into the season and the Nats haven't thrown a pitch while tied or trailing. 

The team seems to be assuming they'll win the NL East and therefore will be able to wait until the trading deadline to see how things play out at weak spots (starters behind Scherzer and Strasburg, catcher, reliever depth). The passivity is making me nervous. The Phillies, Mets and Braves should all be better than they were last year, with the Phillies and Mets potentially decent enough to win if things fall into place. This feels a lot like 2012, when everyone assumed the Phillies division dynasty had a year or two left and they'd be on cruise control in the regular season, and then the wheels came off. I hope I'm wrong.
Obviously still way too early to reach any larger conclusions about the team, but I don't think it's too early to say that Miguel Montero should not be on a big league roster, let alone getting regular time for a team that fancies itself a contender.

Obviously still way too early to reach any larger conclusions about the team, but I don't think it's too early to say that Miguel Montero should not be on a big league roster, let alone getting regular time for a team that fancies itself a contender.
I think they'll have to switch to giving Severino more time soon.  He seems better bat-wise, but I have to think that they just don't trust him behind the plate quite yet.  

I think they'll have to switch to giving Severino more time soon.  He seems better bat-wise, but I have to think that they just don't trust him behind the plate quite yet.  
Yeah I hope so.  Montero is hot garbage, and they can't afford to have an automatic out in the lineup while Murphy is out and Zimmerman goes through his April spring training.

Severino is a useful backup for Wieters when he comes back too, since he can pinch-run for him.

Poor baserunning by Harper in the 9th. He could have strolled into third base on the bad throw if he had had his head up and could see the third base coach waving him over.

When he moved over after the sac-fly it was funny to see the coach--Henley--wearing Harper out about it. 

Sounds like Victor Robles injury might be somewhat serious (injured shoulder/arm diving for a ball).  I was hoping he'd be up in May (early returns seem to reinforce my belief that Taylor was playing above himself last year), but looking unlikely now.

ETA: And people tweeting at Mark Zuckerman thinking he is Mark Zuckerberg is my favorite thing on Nats twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solano was sent to the DL.

Eaton to the DL too, with Moises Sierra getting the call (Robles injury hurts now).  Montero DFA'd to make room on the 40 man for Sierra.
They get an extra year of Robles if he sticks in the minors until June, right?  May be a blessing in disguise one day.  Sounds like his injury wasn't nearly as bad as it looked.

They get an extra year of Robles if he sticks in the minors until June, right?  May be a blessing in disguise one day.  Sounds like his injury wasn't nearly as bad as it looked.
I think that's right.  They just need to wait an extra month (given the cup of coffee last year) relative to Acuna, Senzel, etc. who could come up this weekend.  Last I saw, they were going to evaluate again after the swelling goes down, but X-rays negative, at least.

I know it's just mid-April, but IMO the Nats are in a bit of trouble in the division race.  They're 4.5 back and next Monday-Wednesday they play three games in Queens and four of their six best players  won't take the field (Murphy and Eaton on DL, Scherzer and Stras pitch over the weekend). 

Very easy to see them 6 or 7 back when they head west to face the Dodgers and Giants a week from now.  Not ideal.

Bad luck for Gio tonight between Kendrick losing the pop up in the lights and the chopper Gio should have let go. 

This lineup is completely different with Murph and Eaton, but it’s time to platoon Zimmerman with Adams. This is silly. 

Glad I stayed up for the end of that one.  I’m not sure how big a win in April can be, but that comeback felt like it could be a big one.  

Glad I stayed up for the end of that one.  I’m not sure how big a win in April can be, but that comeback felt like it could be a big one.  
Yeah that 8th inning might end up being the key moment to turning around their season.   If Roark can deliver tonight and sweep the Mets without Max and Strasburg that would be huge.

They've played a lot without Murphy, Rendon, Eaton, Goodwin, and even Robles who would probably be up if he didn't get hurt.  Things should correct themselves when they get healthy.   I do think they will need another starting pitcher probably around the July deadline.

Last year, so many Nats had career years:  Taylor, Rendon, Zimmerman, Difo, Strasburg, Gio.  You can't have that many best years every year, so some regression is expected.

I still believe Dusty did a very good job last year.

On a side note: I hope the Orioles pick up AJ Cole.  They lack starting pitching and he will be an upgrade over Tillman/Wright.

Well they got :moneybag: for Cole.  There is no way they would have DFA'd him had he had more options.  He's been terrible but he was organizational depth who didn't hit arbitration until 2020. 

And Shawn Kelley is :deadbanana: again, too bad for one of the coolest dudes in baseball.  :(

Marvelous said:
Last year, so many Nats had career years:  Taylor, Rendon, Zimmerman, Difo, Strasburg, Gio.  You can't have that many best years every year, so some regression is expected.

I still believe Dusty did a very good job last year.

On a side note: I hope the Orioles pick up AJ Cole.  They lack starting pitching and he will be an upgrade over Tillman/Wright.
Zimmerman and Gio were as good as they will be last year.  But Rendon and Taylor still have upside and Strasburg is pretty much locked in as an NL stud along with Scherzer, Kershaw and Syndergaard.

The problems with this team are they are missing Eaton, Rendon, Murphy and even Goodwin.  So bench players are playing every day and minor leaguers are the bench.   The other problem is the bullpen still sucks donkey balls.  They will probably need to trade for a starter this summer too.

Zimmerman and Gio were as good as they will be last year.  But Rendon and Taylor still have upside and Strasburg is pretty much locked in as an NL stud along with Scherzer, Kershaw and Syndergaard.

The problems with this team are they are missing Eaton, Rendon, Murphy and even Goodwin.  So bench players are playing every day and minor leaguers are the bench.   The other problem is the bullpen still sucks donkey balls.  They will probably need to trade for a starter this summer too.
Bullpen is same as it always is, still in need of quality depth and they can't keep pitching Madson so much.  I really like the attitude and energy Eaton and Murphy bring when they are in the lineup, can't wait to get those guys back in.

Taylor has been given multiple chances to be the everyday centerfielder.  And every time he has failed, until last year.  He most likely will never repeat the success he had last year.

Rendon is very solid player.  I can see some upside to him.

Strasburg is a good pitcher, but I would not put him in the same class as Scherzer, Kershaw, and Syndergaard.  That is a stretch.

Guessing this is mostly said out of frustration of the first month but still doesn't sound good.

Strasburg: "I gave it everything I had today, and it wasn't good enough. I'll live with that, and it's a new day tomorrow. If we can get 25 guys to do that, that's going to be huge."

If Wieters is out for a while (and honestly even if he isn't), what catcher options are available other than JT Realmuto?  Any chance the Royals might be willing to part with Sal Perez if we sent them out of our two dynamic duo OF prospects?  Would he be worth shipping out one of them?  What about a Buffalo reunion?   That would come cheap and would definitely be popular with the fan base.

I'm glad Robles and Soto are "untouchable".  Both look like stars and will be cheap production for several years.   If Eaton and Zimmerman are out for a long time, how long before they bring up Soto?

I'm glad Robles and Soto are "untouchable".  Both look like stars and will be cheap production for several years.   If Eaton and Zimmerman are out for a long time, how long before they bring up Soto?
Soto is playing in Bowie tonight so I’m going to watch. 

I said in another thread that he’s unlikely to get the call before September but if continues doing what he has been, and there is a need, you never know.

Nats probably have two of the top three OF prospects in baseball, with both on a path to make significant contributions by 2019. Soto won’t turn 20 until October, and he hasn’t even physically matured fully. 

Soto is playing in Bowie tonight so I’m going to watch. 

I said in another thread that he’s unlikely to get the call before September but if continues doing what he has been, and there is a need, you never know.

Nats probably have two of the top three OF prospects in baseball, with both on a path to make significant contributions by 2019. Soto won’t turn 20 until October, and he hasn’t even physically matured fully. 
Found it interesting that Soto played at LF last night for the first time (as he'd been in RF all year).  That seems like the quicker path to the majors with Eaton out.  But LF may also be his spot in 2019 if Harper were to leave, as they probably move Eaton to RF.

Anyone want two fix to Nats-Yankees tomorrow?  They’re yours for season ticket price, which is $100 for the pair.  Could get more on Stubhub but I’d rather a Nats fan use them. The place is gonna be overrun by Yanks fans as it is because Yanks and also because of the Caps game. But I’m having trouble finding takers, presumably also because of the Caps game.

Send me a PM if you want them.

I have two games with prospects to write up in the call up thread, but I liked what I saw from Soto. In his second at bat he took a pitch that was three inches off the plate that was called a strike. He leaned way back in protest then spoke to umpire politely after the at bat. 

Soto

Is Turner your SS for years to come or is there a possible position change coming? 

This is a fantasy question to you guys. Basically, I have Correa and Turner in a keep 4 that has 1 UTIL spot. Besides hating having UTIL locked in on a daily basis, my team has some holes I can fill by moving one of them and I think I’d be able to compete this year. 

Is Turner your SS for years to come or is there a possible position change coming? 

This is a fantasy question to you guys. Basically, I have Correa and Turner in a keep 4 that has 1 UTIL spot. Besides hating having UTIL locked in on a daily basis, my team has some holes I can fill by moving one of them and I think I’d be able to compete this year. 
I think so, but hard to predict. Murphy’s a FA after this year. I’m not quite sure how they will replace — always the chance they decide to sign someone better defensively at SS and move Turner to 2B.

What DQ said. They have a good prospect SS but he’s probably a 2020 season guy. They’ll spend money this next offseason and they’ll need a MIFer so we’ll see. He’s probably better designed to play 2B imo. 

Kendrick getting an MRI now.  Bautista tore his ACL and LCL last night.  They may not have a choice but to bring up Soto.

Also, sounds like Wieters is out for a long time.  

Users who are viewing this thread