What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Kendrick getting an MRI now.  Bautista tore his ACL and LCL last night.  They may not have a choice but to bring up Soto.

Also, sounds like Wieters is out for a long time.  
Soto in tonight.  Coming up to bat in just a few if you're around.  

And if you missed it.....3 run Home Run....

Last edited by a moderator:
Soto batting 2nd today.  

...MAT has had a rough year, but hoping last night could help get his confidence back.  That throw to Severino was a thing of beauty, and then getting the game winning hit to boot.  If not, kind of interested to see what happens when Eaton comes back (they may have to keep Soto in the lineup and move Eaton to center).

People who have only seen Soto play a few times might have trouble coming up with comps. To me he has a lot of Rod Carew, a lot of a guy who is just a pure hitter. He uses all fields and although he doesn’t have Carew’s Speed, he has a good deal of raw power. 

Every at bat is quality. He works counts, uses all fields, has a great feel for the game, and the hit tool is MLB ready at 19. I’m so impressed. 

Eaton starting rehab assignment on Friday, which sets him up to come off the 60 day DL when he's eligible on June 8 or shortly thereafter.  About time we had some pleasant injury news, been a good week on that front.

Davey says he'll be playing LF and CF.  Soto-Eaton-Harper seems like a pretty terrible defensive outfield. But if it means rolling out an Eaton-Turner-Harper-Rendon-Murphy-Adams/Zim-Soto-Severino-P lineup I guess I can live with it :P

Three teenagers have homered in Yankee Stadium.   Griffey Jr, Robin Yount and Juan Soto.   Opposite field three run shot.  
Impressive one too.  It looked like a deep fly-out off the bat.  I think they said it was a 45 degree launch angle.  Nuts to hit that oppo boppo.

Soto needs to play every day. Platoon Eaton and Taylor, until Soto isn’t terrific which I don’t see happening.
Yeah, they have to play him every day.  Michael A will still get a ton of playing time as both a platoon replacement any time anyone in the all-lefty OF needs a day off or has a bad matchup, and an obvious defensive replacement any time they have a late lead, so no worries there.

If I was a fan of another NL East team I'd be so pissed off about Soto. Imagine if a guy like this had fallen out of nowhere into the Phillies' lap in like 2011 or 2012, just when it looked like their window was closing.

Soto needs to play every day. Platoon Eaton and Taylor, until Soto isn’t terrific which I don’t see happening.
Agreed Soto needs to be playing as much as possible. 

What are they going to do with Murphy after the Toronto series?  Just put him at 2B and deal with the defense being even worse than it already was?

IMO he was the best reliever on the market. I like Rizzo striking early. 

He should be the 1A option to Doolittle. Shawn Kelly as cool a dude as he is, no longer an option. Kintzler, Madson, Herrera, and Doolittle is among the best bsckends in baseball. 
Is Kelley about to get released when Kintzler is back?  I assume your 4 plus Turner, Solis and Grace are the main 7.  Gott and Suero can hang out in AAA.  They'll have to risk Collins through waivers but meh whatever.  Still no room for Kelley.

Is Kelley about to get released when Kintzler is back?  I assume your 4 plus Turner, Solis and Grace are the main 7.  Gott and Suero can hang out in AAA.  They'll have to risk Collins through waivers but meh whatever.  Still no room for Kelley.
I think so.  Kelley hasn't been good in about two years.  Who is Turner (supposed to be Miller, I assume)?

You knew Murphy would make them pay by intentionally walking Soto to get to him. He’s start Big to hit, Harper had his best night in two months, and Rendon and Soto are rolling. 

I think this team is about to go on a run as we get into summer. 

Doctor Detroit said:
You knew Murphy would make them pay by intentionally walking Soto to get to him. He’s start Big to hit, Harper had his best night in two months, and Rendon and Soto are rolling. 

I think this team is about to go on a run as we get into summer. 
I hope you're right and obviously the talent is there and the schedule softens up a bit after July 4th. But it's awfully hard to go on a run when you have the lesser starting pitcher in approximately 80% of your games, and with Strasburg out that's basically the position the Nats find themselves in.

The good news from this season IMO is there's no reason to think the Nats window will close this season as many have been saying.  They're 5 games over .500 and have gotten maybe 3 wins over replacement level from the guys who are free agents at the end of this season (Harper, Gio, Murphy, Madson). Take that $300 million they've been reserving for a bid on Harper, spend it on Patrick Corbin and an extension for Rendon instead, and they can keep this going for a little while.

I hope you're right and obviously the talent is there and the schedule softens up a bit after July 4th. But it's awfully hard to go on a run when you have the lesser starting pitcher in approximately 80% of your games, and with Strasburg out that's basically the position the Nats find themselves in.

The good news from this season IMO is there's no reason to think the Nats window will close this season as many have been saying.  They're 5 games over .500 and have gotten maybe 3 wins over replacement level from the guys who are free agents at the end of this season (Harper, Gio, Murphy, Madson). Take that $300 million they've been reserving for a bid on Harper, spend it on Patrick Corbin and an extension for Rendon instead, and they can keep this going for a little while.
I'm coming around to that view as well and being okay with Harper walking.  Eaton, Soto, and Robles as a starting OF next year looks like a pretty good OF if they can stay healthy, and should all be playing every day.  And, like you said, they could use that money to extend Rendon and sign someone else, which seems like the greater value add to me.

I am starting to think that Kevin Long is less a hitting guru and more a guy who just stumbled upon one little mistake in the conventional wisdom and has been useless and counterproductive ever since everyone else picked up on it.  Like someone who reads Moneyball and thinks it's about walks instead of market inefficiency.  The Mets offense was a pile of hot garbage for the last two seasons, and now our formerly good offense is a pile of hot garbage.

The 2018 Nats are now 8-15 in one run games.  This despite having a top three closer and a ton of speed, things you would think might help them win close games.  If they were 12-11 instead things would look a lot different. I put half the blame on Davey and half on dumb luck.

Also now I kinda see why the Nats were pulling so hard for the Caps.  They would be absorbing unimaginable amounts of #### right now if the Caps hadn't just won the Cup. 

Somewhere in this thread I suggested they trade Harper over the winter if he wouldn't sign an extension then.  I get why someone would think that's dumb but if he walks I want more than a compensation draft pick for him.   Doesn't matter the chances they trade him are almost 0.

That said, if three more weeks passes and they are 10 back do you trade Murphy, Gio, Herrera, Madson, or any other guy in his last season and become sellers? They are 10th in the NL in wins now so not like the wildcard is going to be easy either.  Between now and the break they have 11 games against Miami, Pittsburgh and the Mets (Braves have Milwaukee, Toronto and Arizona).  And 3 huge games against Atlanta right after the break.  If they don't make up ground by 7/22 then I'm okay if they become sellers.

We are not even at the all star break yet.  This team is so talented that I would find it unfathomable that they’re sellers.  

We are not even at the all star break yet.  This team is so talented that I would find it unfathomable that they’re sellers.  
They won’t be sellers. Turner and Harper are due to rebound, Murphy and Eaton are finding their legs (literally), and Strasburg will be back soon. They just can’t hit sans Rendon and Soto, but it’s hard to think that continues. 

They will probably trade for a starter since Roark looks like the guy he always should have been, and Fedde just isn’t very good. They should be fine but I thought they’d break through by now and they look dreadful. 

Ramblin Wreck said:
Well, looks like the players only meeting worked  :wall:
:lol:

It was the Marlins, the worst team in the NL.

You guys are worse than F.P. sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back in. If they go 7-3 over their final ten before the ASB (Marlins, @PIT, @NYM) it gets them to 50-46 and hopefully within 5ish games of first place. Come out of the break with three straight home games vs Atlanta with Scherzer, Stras and whichever replacement level guy they decide is their third best starter. Definitely doable, but no time left to futz around.

I'm back in. If they go 7-3 over their final ten before the ASB (Marlins, @PIT, @NYM) it gets them to 50-46 and hopefully within 5ish games of first place. Come out of the break with three straight home games vs Atlanta with Scherzer, Stras and whichever replacement level guy they decide is their third best starter. Definitely doable, but no time left to futz around.
The Nats have 28 games left against the Mets and Marlins while the Braves have only 19.  The Nats have nothing to worry about.

Victor Robles played today and Koda Glover also pitched an inning for Gulf Coast.   Wieters is playing 7 innings tonight, Strasburg is going to get 50-60 pitches on Tuesday in a rehab start, and sounds like Zimmerman could go on a rehab assignment next week.

Users who are viewing this thread