What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** Official Westworld Thread ***** (2 Viewers)

Seems to me much of the story is going to be balancing different realities.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I have literally no background in this story at all.
Ok, so the premise is this:

There's a resort set up somewhere (like Disneyworld), whether it's a planet or just a large area of one is somewhat unclear. The inhabitants of this resort are synthetic humans (hosts). Real peolple with a lot of money to burn come to visit the resort (guests).

The hosts all are set up with scenarios for their daily activities, and are allowed minor improvisations to cover any bumps guests may introduce into those scenarios. The hosts are not aware that they are synthetic and that their lives are scripted, and in fact are programmed to ignore any evidence to that effect. At the end of their narrative cycle their memories are purged and they are reset to start over. Hosts are also programmed to be unable to harm anything living (guests, mainly, but also apparently flies).

Guests can do whatever they want, I'm guessing with the exception of harming other guests. This means they can rape, torture, maim, kill hosts as much as they want. The hosts can't stop them and don't know that what's being done to them won't have any consequences, but they also won't remember what happened. So each time a guest encounters a host in a new cycle, to the host it will be as if it were the first time.

The other part of what we see is like backstage at Disneyworld. It's the administration of the resort, which mostly consists of maintenance of the hosts, but also includes office politics.

:yes:

Paint It Black ends up in the score too. Wonder if songs with 'black' is going to be a theme throughout.
Yep, just caught that during the robbery scene. Badass. 

I really liked it. 

I don't fully understand portions of it. So Ed Harris is human, but do the employees know he's roaming the park doing whatever it is he's attempting to do?  I gues he's been there awhile, but what is the point of entry?

Also are some of the androids on daily cycles and some on weekly cycles?  There was a piece in there about speeding up the stories a week to get to the shootout, but it seemed our main characters went through multiple day cycles in that time. 

Anyway, sure answers will come. I'm in. 

Also this thread is going to be worse than GOT if certain people start watching. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried avoiding all spoilers and reviews leading up to last night, and I really enjoyed them using Ed Harris to flip the old Yul Brynner character on its ear.  Great twist early on.

It'll be interesting to see how this story evolves episodically.  They can take it in so many different directions (robots vs guests, robots vs management, robot factions).  I hope it stays fresh and doesn't get old quick.

I really liked it. 

I don't fully understand portions of it. So Ed Harris is human, but do the employees know he's roaming the park doing whatever it is he's attempting to do?  I gues he's been there awhile, but what is the point of entry?

Also are some of the androids on daily cycles and some on weekly cycles?  There was a piece in there about speeding up the stories a week to get to the shootout, but it seemed our main characters went through multiple day cycles in that time. 

Also this thread is going to be worse than GOT if certain people start watching. 
I think it's safe to say that the staff knows pretty much everything going on in the resort. Ed mentions he's been visiting for 30 years, IIRC.  It's when he first encounters Dolores.

The one woman does mention at one point that Westworld is one thing to the guests, another to the shareholders, and yet another to management.  And that there is a bigger picture going on, but she doesn't say what it is.  It would appear that Harris' character is trying to work that out.

I think it's safe to say that the staff knows pretty much everything going on in the resort. Ed mentions he's been visiting for 30 years, IIRC.  It's when he first encounters Dolores.

The one woman does mention at one point that Westworld is one thing to the guests, another to the shareholders, and yet another to management.  And that there is a bigger picture going on, but she doesn't say what it is.  It would appear that Harris' character is trying to work that out.
Good point. I should also maybe amend my statement from ed Harris is human to we are led to believe ed Harris is human. 

What exactly was the mind#### in episode 1?
3 parts of it, imo.    the thing with Ed Harris.    the thing with the dad telling Ford basically you're a dead man,   then the dolores being conscious and having free will as evidenced at the end when she slaps the fly off her neck

great show so far. 

spoiler tags will be needed in the future. 

Watching now. Not done - but did anyone notice the player piano was playing Black Hole Sun? 

It took me a second, but it stood out. 
Yeah and background music had Stand By Me and a Paint it Black done in orchestral versions. Best part of the show, IMO. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't know how you can definitively say that. I understand the connection to the original, but I'm of the understanding that the movie and this have vast differences. 
I may be wrong, absolutely.      My hunch is he's the alpha robot and able to program himself and others, eventually will be shown that he influenced the dad and dolores, 

the scened where he's looking at the skull, showing a maze was where I got that impression.   A human wouldn't give a crap about where the entrance and exits to the park are.  He also said he's playing a higher game, that its the 30 year game.    I think he is the "eventually they all revolt" guy.

I really liked it. 

Uh...you see what you're doing right? 

There's a resort set up somewhere (like Disneyworld), whether it's a planet or just a large area of one is somewhat unclear. The inhabitants of this resort are synthetic humans (hosts). Real peolple with a lot of money to burn come to visit the resort (guests).

The hosts all are set up with scenarios for their daily activities, and are allowed minor improvisations to cover any bumps guests may introduce into those scenarios. The hosts are not aware that they are synthetic and that their lives are scripted, and in fact are programmed to ignore any evidence to that effect. At the end of their narrative cycle their memories are purged and they are reset to start over. Hosts are also programmed to be unable to harm anything living (guests, mainly, but also apparently flies).

Guests can do whatever they want, I'm guessing with the exception of harming other guests. This means they can rape, torture, maim, kill hosts as much as they want. The hosts can't stop them and don't know that what's being done to them won't have any consequences, but they also won't remember what happened. So each time a guest encounters a host in a new cycle, to the host it will be as if it were the first time.

The other part of what we see is like backstage at Disneyworld. It's the administration of the resort, which mostly consists of maintenance of the hosts, but also includes office politics.
Well done.  Good summary.  I'm going to give this another episode.  I really think it has a lot of promise.  

One of my criticisms was of the acting, particularly during the gun battles and the exaggerated reactions and sudden flops to death.  But...if cheeky was what they were intending--that these hosts are basically robot actors (perhaps not very refined actors) and all that was intentional--then I have to revise my impression accordingly.  I thought it was Tuesday night ABC drama quality, not what I expect from HBO...but maybe I just missed the whole effing point.

Well done.  Good summary.  I'm going to give this another episode.  I really think it has a lot of promise.  

One of my criticisms was of the acting, particularly during the gun battles and the exaggerated reactions and sudden flops to death.  But...if cheeky was what they were intending--that these hosts are basically actors (perhaps not very refined actors) and all that was intentional--then I have to revise my impression accordingly.  I thought it was Tuesday night ABC drama quality, not what I expect from HBO...but maybe I just missed the whole effing point.
You do realize that the "people" being shot are not "people", right?  

:goodposting: between all the muck.  I'm going to rewatch the pilot to see what I missed, but I would not have been able to summarize what's going on like you have.  Without knowledge of outside sources (movies, spoilers, etc), maybe I wasn't supposed to be able to.

:goodposting: between all the muck.  I'm going to rewatch the pilot to see what I missed, but I would not have been able to summarize what's going on like you have.  Without knowledge of outside sources (movies, spoilers, etc), maybe I wasn't supposed to be able to.
Agreed.  I feel like a dummy. Will have to rewatch to get this straight in my feeble brain :(

i did recognize Paint It Black tho :thumbup:

If he's not a bot, why is Teddy trying to harm him?
It's possible that part of Teddy's programmed narrative is to protect Dolores from danger, which would prove futile with guests

eta: I'm not saying one way or the other just yet on Ed Harris, but it's clear they're presenting him as a human, or at a minimum different from the other robots

It's possible that part of Teddy's programmed narrative is to protect Dolores from danger, which would prove futile with guests

eta: I'm not saying one way or the other just yet on Ed Harris, but it's clear they're presenting him as a human, or at a minimum different from the other robots
When about to drag her off, Ed's character said he wanted Dolores to fight him. The hosts react as if they were humans to whatever the guests do to them. That includes fighting back when the guests do something evil. They just can't hurt guests. So the guns don't kill. Probably, they wouldn't be able to connect with melee attacks, either. But they would still want to try to save themselves or their loved ones.

If he's not a bot, why is Teddy trying to harm him?
bots can attempt to harm a human but their bullets are like those fake munitions  http://simunition.com/en/    so no harm done, like a bee sting at most.

but stil don't think Ed Harris is human.  I think he's a different kind of bot, or a bot that's evolved.

And as far as Ted goes, he's evolved also.   He knows the routine of the daily train ride and remembers the "posse" guy, and the bar scene  etc.    Even though they're "wiping" him, he remembers.

I am sure this is nothing - but why do they keep going back to the same day?  Why would they run that day over and over - or are they simply showing this scenario has been run multiple times to its natural conclusion.  (And if so, how does Ed Harris keep coming back to the same scenario - that would have to make someone suspicious.)

Sinn Fein said:
I am sure this is nothing - but why do they keep going back to the same day?  Why would they run that day over and over - or are they simply showing this scenario has been run multiple times to its natural conclusion.  (And if so, how does Ed Harris keep coming back to the same scenario - that would have to make someone suspicious.)
The hosts have narrative cycles. Someone has scripted out that day and they run through the show. It's like those old west experience towns. Guests come in and get to be a part of a day in the life. Who wants to script out entire lives for all those hosts? Plus, most lives most of the time are dull. So they just have a small set of experiences that are exciting and live them out over and over. If they were humans, they'd be actors doing the same show everyday. But,because they're synthetic, they live each show authentically; they never half-### it or get sick of it and try to go off-script. The only big variations come because of actions from guests.

Sinn Fein said:

Sconch said:
Too bad this show is only one episode long.  If there were more episodes I bet they would answer questions like this eventually. 

Definitely in for the show. I think there's a lot of interesting topics/themes they can cover.

One of the big ones for me is the moral aspect of guests that choose to act out evil scenarios. Lets assume for a moment that Ed Harris' character is a person and not a robot. During the scene where he attacked Delores, he stated that he'd been going there for 30 years and that she still doesn't remember him. I think we're meant to assume that he's going there and raping her for 30 years. Obviously if she were a real person, that's an evil act. But she's not a real person.  Yeah, she looks real and simulates emotion and all that, but at the end of the day she's an object. So is raping "her" evil?  If we say that the actual act of raping what is essentially an incredibly advanced inanimate object DOESN'T necessarily make someone an evil person, does the fact that he presumably takes joy from it (which would imply that raping an actual person is a fantasy of his) make him evil?

So I guess the short version is...is it the desire or the actual act that makes someone a bad person?

tommyboy said:
bots can attempt to harm a human but their bullets are like those fake munitions  http://simunition.com/en/    so no harm done, like a bee sting at most.

but stil don't think Ed Harris is human.  I think he's a different kind of bot, or a bot that's evolved.

And as far as Ted goes, he's evolved also.   He knows the routine of the daily train ride and remembers the "posse" guy, and the bar scene  etc.    Even though they're "wiping" him, he remembers.
Ted doesn't remember anything.  The first run through of the day, up to the part where Ed Harris shows up, is what Ted and Dolores' day would look like if they never interacted with guests.  The posse guy is part of the scenario; if there's no guest he asks Ted to join, and Ted says no so he can go to the saloon where he'll be hit on by the hooker, see Dolores come out of the general store, and go to her.  If there's a guest there, the posse guy asks the guest to join instead because that's basically a guest adventure.  Ted always wakes up on the train in the morning, gets off at the station and bumps into that guy crossing the street, etc.  Things only change when there are guests involved like the posse guy asking the guest to join the hunt for the outlaw, the guests distracting the madam when Ted turns down the hooker, or when the guest asks Ted to show he and his friends around so he can't go meet Dolores.

Users who are viewing this thread