What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL WIS XVI Draft Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Man, I had forgotten what a cluster the WIS II draft thread was.

EDIT: Wow, I had forgotten that Larry Boy skipped WIS II. I am reading all the Nipsey posts about keeping him out of that league. Man, Nipsey was ridiculously adamant about it ... schtick became reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was lost to a thread purge, but it's still there: the ***OFFICIAL*** FFA MLB Draft thread from January 2005. There was an earlier FFA All-Time MLB Draft or some such -- we were drafting that in November-December 2004. I believe that draft was only 16 players deep since the WIS league wasn't yet conceived. The thread in the link was clearly after going to the WIS league was decided -- WIS is referenced in the OP, and we're picking stadiums on Pg 1.
386 pages! heavy on the shtick back then.

Funny how the underlying ethic of these leagues has changed -- from the WIS II thread:

'Capella said:
just don't want to have an all-time WIS.com draft. No interest there.
Then why do the sim at all?
:hophead: a) to add some sort of finality to the month-long draft

b) because it's fun to go in there and manage, play, etc.

c) the point of the draft is to hold.......an all-time MLB draft. if you want to just play a WIS league, go in there and slap down your $13 and play.

[/QUOTE]Must have something to do with why they stopped participating. EDIT: See below -- jfranco, I'm looking at you :D

'Capella said:
Who the hell wants to do a draft where Jack Pfeister is the #1 pick because he had one outstanding season and carries a $15M salary.

:thumbdown:

From the WIS II thread. Nipsey is addressing Capella and me:

'Nipsey said:
Seriously, it's time for everyone to really examine what they want to do here. I've got about 9 guys for the other thread and with a few PM's sent, I can raise that number in a week. LET'S DO TWO THREADS. If guys want to do both, that's fine. While you think an "all-time sim league" is boring and silly, some of us feel an "all-time draft with career restrictions (for a one year sim league)" is just as silly. Let's just have the two threads and that way EVERYONE will be happy.
:lmao: EDIT: For context, here were the proposed WIS II player-eligibility rules that Nipsey was railing against. Essentially, this was to prevent was we'd later call "cookies" from being used -- some of us were still clinging to the "best MLB players in real life" ethic.

'Capella said:
here are the rules that a good grouping of us have discussed over email.

prepare for a nipsey meltdown.

glll

Nips...let's make a deal

(a) Drafted players must have started their MLB careers before 1995.

Any number of games played in 1994 or earlier validates eligibility.

(same rule as last draft)

(b) Whatifsports.com (WIS.com) simulation will have drafters choose

one season to represent each player. Only seasons after 1892 are

allowed (pitching rubber moved back from 50' to modern 60.5' in 1893).

© The careers of drafted batters on a given team must, when

considered together, span at least eight decades (e.g. 1912 - 1992),

with no gaps of more than three years. Players from several eras will

need to be drafted to meet this requirement.

(d) The careers of drafted pitchers on a given team must, when

considered together, span at least six decades (e.g. 1908 - 1968),

with no gaps of more than three years. Players from several eras will

need to be drafted to meet this

requirement.

(e) Drafted players must meet minimum career requirements for

eligibility:

BATTERS

1) All HOFers are eligible, or

2) All league MVPs are eligible, or

3) 7000 at-bats, or

4) 1800 hits, or

5) 300 home runs, or

6) 1000 RBI, or

7) 400 stolen bases

PITCHERS

1) All HOF pitchers qualify, or

2) All league MVPs qualify, or

3) All Cy Young winners qualify, or

4) 2000 innings pitched, or

5) 160 wins, or

6) 1500 strikeouts, or

7) 500 games pitched in, or

8) 120 saves

(f) Each team must select: three OF, one 1B, one one 2B, one SS, one

3B, one C, seven backup batters, four starting pitchers, three relief

pitchers, and three more pitchers of any role.

(g) Once teams are drafted, drafters may select any season for their

players to use in the WIS.com.

(h) WIS salary cap will be $255,000,000

I'll never forget the rancor that erupted when I took Old Hoss Radbourn in the 18th round of the WIS I draft. Who knew an iLegend would be born that day.

Say what you will (and I'm looking at you Koya) but the dice rolling sim was probably the closest we came to that Capellian ideal.

Say what you will (and I'm looking at you Koya) but the dice rolling sim was probably the closest we came to that Capellian ideal.
Actually, you are probably correct.I never have recovered from that draft. A multi-year tilt.

EDIT: Wow, I had forgotten that Larry Boy skipped WIS II. I am reading all the Nipsey posts about keeping him out of that league. Man, Nipsey was ridiculously adamant about it ... schtick became reality.
The early Sims threads had some of the all-time greatest shtick ever. Shame the Tangent aspect was lost.
I still use "Oh, You're Back" in both the real and i worlds

:goodposting: He was way too adamant for it to be schtick... so were a few other people (most of them not around anymore). Still have no idea the real reason why.
much ado about Quantrill

I liked the dice rolling draft, probably the funnest DRAFT we've ever done.I'd be in to do Dice v2 :excited: I'll even commish (again?)

I liked the dice rolling draft, probably the funnest DRAFT we've ever done.I'd be in to do Dice v2 :excited: I'll even commish (again?)
Not a chance. Start coming up with another idea. I still think my big reunion blowout would be appropriate. Two leagues, one champion, one beautifully-crafted gold members only jacket.

:goodposting: He was way too adamant for it to be schtick... so were a few other people (most of them not around anymore). Still have no idea the real reason why.
much ado about Quantrill
multi-year grudge over an accident in a fake sports league? Either they're some of the most pathetic people ever to live (which they aren't) or there is more to it.

Not a chance. Start coming up with another idea. I still think my big reunion blowout would be appropriate. Two leagues, one champion, one beautifully-crafted gold members only jacket.
We'd edit what we did last time, of course.You really think it was that bad? Are you just mad 'cuz you lost? (did you lose?)and big reunion isn't gonna happen, if we had enough people for that, we'd have more than 2 leagues/year going. (I know I'd be up for 4 or 5/year, but we don't have enough people interested)

one way to tweak the dice-roll concept would be to finish a round, with everyone listing their top 6 years in order for the player they picked, and THEN doing a single 6-sided roll for the entire round. This impacts everyone more equally, and takes some of the luck out of the process.

other concepts for future drafts:1. Last Season (the mirror image to the First Season draft)2. Deadball hitters and steroid era pitchers 3. Here's one i've been noodling over the past few days... limit season pool to years that end with a 3 (since this is 2013), so you'd have 2003, 1993, etc (going as far back as everyone is comfortable). Require each team to pick at least one hitter and one pitcher in each of the possible "xxx3" seasons.4. As a lefty myself, i really wanted to do a Lefties Only draft, but there aren't nearly enough catchers and middle infielders. You can get close if you expand the definition to include hitters that bat lefty (or switch) even if they throw righty.

one way to tweak the dice-roll concept would be to finish a round, with everyone listing their top 6 years in order for the player they picked, and THEN doing a single 6-sided roll for the entire round. This impacts everyone more equally, and takes some of the luck out of the process.
That is an idea.Similarly, I was thinking about rolling a dice before each round (or at the beginning of the draft and marking each round) for the # of sides for that round. (we could combine both ideas).The other idea is each person has a "bag" of different sided dice. They'd have 25 dice, and have to use one die each round until they had none left. Then they'd have, say, 3-sided through 7 or 8-sided dice and we could "control" seasons a bit better.also, I was thinking if we instituted a salary cap of some sort it would limit the ability of people to "throw away" picks by pickings someone with 2 or 3 seasons that they don't really need and just rolling for a lucky number. If you need to spend all your money to get the IP/PA you need, you can't waste too much...

I liked the dice rolling draft, probably the funnest DRAFT we've ever done.I'd be in to do Dice v2 :excited:

I'll even commish (again?)
We'd edit what we did last time, of course.You really think it was that bad? Are you just mad 'cuz you lost? (did you lose?)

and big reunion isn't gonna happen, if we had enough people for that, we'd have more than 2 leagues/year going. (I know I'd be up for 4 or 5/year, but we don't have enough people interested)
How DARE you speak to a Gold Jacket holder like that. You have no concept of production or flair. The people you speak of aren't interested in your nerd-off five times a year. They are interested in being a part of something special. A spectacle for all the innerwebs to see. (This draft would happen in the FFA).

other concepts for future drafts:1. Last Season (the mirror image to the First Season draft)2. Deadball hitters and steroid era pitchers 3. Here's one i've been noodling over the past few days... limit season pool to years that end with a 3 (since this is 2013), so you'd have 2003, 1993, etc (going as far back as everyone is comfortable). Require each team to pick at least one hitter and one pitcher in each of the possible "xxx3" seasons.4. As a lefty myself, i really wanted to do a Lefties Only draft, but there aren't nearly enough catchers and middle infielders. You can get close if you expand the definition to include hitters that bat lefty (or switch) even if they throw righty.
#### three, the database search would be hell.

I liked the dice rolling draft, probably the funnest DRAFT we've ever done.I'd be in to do Dice v2 :excited:

We'd edit what we did last time, of course.You really think it was that bad? Are you just mad 'cuz you lost? (did you lose?)

and big reunion isn't gonna happen, if we had enough people for that, we'd have more than 2 leagues/year going. (I know I'd be up for 4 or 5/year, but we don't have enough people interested)
How DARE you speak to a Gold Jacket holder like that. You have no concept of production or flair. The people you speak of aren't interested in your nerd-off five times a year. They are interested in being a part of something special. A spectacle for all the innerwebs to see. (This draft would happen in the FFA).
honestly? I have no interest in a "spectacle" or in anyone who is more interested in a "spectacle" than anything else being involved in this.if you want to have your "spectacle" feel free, but I really don't want to be in it.

I hadn't considered that... that would make it a pretty rough idea, wouldn't it?

easy in exceleta: not fundamentally any different of a search process than alphabet soup or franchise soup.

honestly? I have no interest in a "spectacle" or in anyone who is more interested in a "spectacle" than anything else being involved in this.if you want to have your "spectacle" feel free, but I really don't want to be in it.
:cry:

these drafts are more fun without the constant, never-ending, douchey schtick that they had at the start. Was it really fun fighting with Nipsey over the rules for 2 weeks when you know, deep down, he didn't even care about participating, he was just being a pain?

these drafts are more fun without the constant, never-ending, douchey schtick that they had at the start. Was it really fun fighting with Nipsey over the rules for 2 weeks when you know, deep down, he didn't even care about participating, he was just being a pain?
If you don't feed the hysterical monster, the monster stops coming to your stoop expecting food in return for hysterics.

:popcorn: Reading through the WIS II draft thread is quite interesting, like a look into the history.Can anyone talk about what people are referring to when they say LB cheated/ratted people out in the first one? A link would suffice.Also, does anyone have a greater backstory on Mr. Harrier's demise? The guy seems to have thought very highly of himself, at least in the WIS II thread. Again, links to posts in subsequent drafts would be welcome.

:popcorn: Reading through the WIS II draft thread is quite interesting, like a look into the history.Can anyone talk about what people are referring to when they say LB cheated/ratted people out in the first one? A link would suffice.Also, does anyone have a greater backstory on Mr. Harrier's demise? The guy seems to have thought very highly of himself, at least in the WIS II thread. Again, links to posts in subsequent drafts would be welcome.
pics were allowed at that time...they figured (basically correctly) that at 250 pages no admins would be watching what they were posting...I still didn't feel it was appropriate, so i reported the posts...as far as the cheating. I accidentally picked the wrong year (partial/full insanity of "pick the third best year") and no one realized 'til halfway through the season.

Can anyone talk about what people are referring to when they say LB cheated/ratted people out in the first one? A link would suffice.
The "ratting out" was reporting someone in the WIS I thread, I think. Water under the bridge these days ... the people who cared don't participate in these things anymore.The "cheating" was when larry_boy set up his WIS I team incorrectly. We were supposed to use each player's third-highest WIS salary season -- at the time, we were mostly sticking to an "all-time greats only" ethic and most of us thought it important to keep out the WIS cookies/one-year-wonders. Anyway, larry_boy inadvertently used some other season for reliever Paul Quantrill, and it wasn't discovered until the well after the WIS season started. Ancient history now, but caused quite a row at the time.

Also, does anyone have a greater backstory on Mr. Harrier's demise? The guy seems to have thought very highly of himself, at least in the WIS II thread. Again, links to posts in subsequent drafts would be welcome.
Unfortunately, most of this took place over on the now-defunct baseballtangent.com's forums. Mrharrier was also in WIS VIII, but that one was also on another board (the defunct rotodugout.com).

Harrrr is/was a smart guy but some of his WIS theories were proven wrong in one of the early sims in a spectacular example of hubris. He was permabanned after some Shark Pool tirade. I lost track of him after we quit our Ubermega team but I think he works in government now.He'd be top seed in Tournament of Champions Harrrrankings for sure.

'Doug B said:
'scoobus said:
Can anyone talk about what people are referring to when they say LB cheated/ratted people out in the first one? A link would suffice.
The "ratting out" was reporting someone in the WIS I thread, I think. Water under the bridge these days ... the people who cared don't participate in these things anymore.The "cheating" was when larry_boy set up his WIS I team incorrectly. We were supposed to use each player's third-highest WIS salary season -- at the time, we were mostly sticking to an "all-time greats only" ethic and most of us thought it important to keep out the WIS cookies/one-year-wonders. Anyway, larry_boy inadvertently used some other season for reliever Paul Quantrill, and it wasn't discovered until the well after the WIS season started. Ancient history now, but caused quite a row at the time.

'scoobus said:
Also, does anyone have a greater backstory on Mr. Harrier's demise? The guy seems to have thought very highly of himself, at least in the WIS II thread. Again, links to posts in subsequent drafts would be welcome.
Unfortunately, most of this took place over on the now-defunct baseballtangent.com's forums. Mrharrier was also in WIS VIII, but that one was also on another board (the defunct rotodugout.com).
Completely forgot about rotodugout.com. Does anyone remember how the 10+ run game worked?

'Eephus said:
'scoobus said:
Harrrr is/was a smart guy but some of his WIS theories were proven wrong in one of the early sims in a spectacular example of hubris. He was permabanned after some Shark Pool tirade. I lost track of him after we quit our Ubermega team but I think he works in government now.He'd be top seed in Tournament of Champions Harrrrankings for sure.
He's still in Jethro's dynastitty foots league I believe.

'larry_boy_44 said:
'scoobus said:
:popcorn:

Reading through the WIS II draft thread is quite interesting, like a look into the history.

pics were allowed at that time...they figured (basically correctly) that at 250 pages no admins would be watching what they were posting...

I still didn't feel it was appropriate, so i reported the posts...

as far as the cheating. I accidentally picked the wrong year (partial/full insanity of "pick the third best year") and no one realized 'til halfway through the season.
Speaking of douchey...

'Eephus said:
'scoobus said:
He's still in Jethro's dynastitty foots league I believe.
#1 in early 2013 Harrrankings

Eephus, were you one of the ones who came on board WIS II only after it had jumped to BBT? IOW, were you a member of BBT before FBG?

Looking through the WIS III draft board, I see guys like spiceworld, MrJimmy, and of course Hoss who were strictly BBT guys at the time.

'larry_boy_44 said:
'scoobus said:
pics were allowed at that time...they figured (basically correctly) that at 250 pages no admins would be watching what they were posting...I still didn't feel it was appropriate, so i reported the posts...as far as the cheating. I accidentally picked the wrong year (partial/full insanity of "pick the third best year") and no one realized 'til halfway through the season.
The accidental cheating I could deal with. The ratting out still erodes any confidence we can have when LBs in a draft. Seriously, even though it's years and years ago, you just don't report something like that.

'larry_boy_44 said:
'scoobus said:
The accidental cheating I could deal with. The ratting out still erodes any confidence we can have when LBs in a draft. Seriously, even though it's years and years ago, you just don't report something like that.
:goodposting:Grow a ####### sack, Larry.

Eephus, were you one of the ones who came on board WIS II only after it had jumped to BBT? IOW, were you a member of BBT before FBG?

Looking through the WIS III draft board, I see guys like spiceworld, MrJimmy, and of course Hoss who were strictly BBT guys at the time.
Yeah, I'm a Baseball Guy.

Yeah, I'm a Baseball Guy.
Always hold a warm spot in my heart for the old man because of this. One of the guys that BBT was actually able to reach. :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread