What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL WIS XVI Draft Thread *** (1 Viewer)

In other news ...

One thing I'd like to get is all time playoff appearances and World Series runners up. This should be possible to research if anyone is a real e-mail packrat. WIS.com, at the end of each season, e-mails all league participants the playoff series results.

I have a bunch of these old e-mails, but not all of them, I don't think.
I have found all this information for all our leagues. It's not organized or entered into a spreadsheet or anything yet.For a trip down Memory Lane, here's our very first WIS league:

WIS I - FINAL STANDINGS

=====================

National League East

---------------------------

Larry_Boy_44's team (111-51) ... Owner: larryboy4444 (1940)

Pumpnicks (102-60) ... Owner: pampernick (1984)

Curse Reversing Idiots (94-68) ... Owner: loudhogan (1656)

Colome Is A God (15-147) ... Owner: funkley (447)

National League Central

Kobayashi Maru (100-62) ... Owner: p_spock (1698)

Koya's BK Bums (99-63) ... Owner: b47p (1752)

Taurasi's Troopers (98-64) ... Owner: uconn86 (1720)

Dragons, Arks and Lebron (10-152) ... Owner: bentleytx (154)

National League West

Maranville Rabbits (109-53) ... Owner: bogart (1874)

The Goodfellas (95-67) ... Owner: funkley (447)

Leftovers (80-82) ... Owner: osodiablo (1407)

Newmies Rheumies (68-94) ... Owner: trefor3 (-137)

Patriot League East

Bellucci's Bombers (95-67) ... Owner: latresort66 (1614)

Spartans Rule (89-73) ... Owner: bulldogben (1570)

N.O. Blackened Voodoo (85-77) ... Owner: bordelond (1483)

Baltimore Badgers (65-97) ... Owner: bwclarke (1144)

Patriot League Central

Cryogenics Rule (107-55) ... Owner: sammy (1900)

Nips (93-69) ... Owner: nipsey (1633)

BRINGIN' IT HOMET (88-74) ... Owner: FSUCapella (1310)

Cellar Dwellers (11-151) ... Owner: trefor3 (-137)

Patriot League West

Irish Cowboys (117-45) ... Owner: mrharrier (2373)

Mr Ps Big Owning Machine (106-56) ... Owner: fluorophore (1848)

Bullet Joes (81-81) ... Owner: osodiablo (1407)

King Kelly's All-Stars (26-136) ... Owner: aaronr30 (486)

WIS I - MLB40631 PLAYOFF RECAP

=====================

In the National League, Larry_Boy_44's team swept Kobayashi Maru in 3 games. In the other matchup, Maranville Rabbits was defeated by Pumpnicks in 3 games. In the Patriot League, Irish Cowboys made short work of Bellucci's Bombers in 4 games and in the other bracket, Cryogenics Rule outlasted Mr Ps Big Owning Machine in 5 games.

In the NLCS, Larry_Boy_44's team was overpowered by Pumpnicks in 5 games. While in the PLCS, Irish Cowboys prevailed against Cryogenics Rule in 7 games.

In the World Series, Pumpnicks defeated Irish Cowboys in 6 games.

Mrharrier's records in progressive sims:

WIS I - 117-55, division champ, World Series runner-up

WIS II - 94-68, division champ, lost in first round

WIS III - 64-98, fourth place

WIS IV - 81-81, second place

WIS V - 78-84, fourth place

He skipped VI and VII, then came back for VIII.

WIS VIII - 74-88, third place

What's significant about this is that early on, mrharrier was our resident WIS expert. He was ahead of the curve on a lot of the sim-specific statistical analysis, and wasn't shy about letting us know it. I think the sim engine changed at some point, though, and he didn't adapt. Harr totally ignored defense (which seemingly used to work at one time), and sold out almost every other offensive stat for the sake of huge BB/100 rates. I remember the sim being much more forgiving of fatigue, and mrharrier relying on that to use Mark Eichhorn as a starting pitcher in III or IV.

In other news ...

One thing I'd like to get is all time playoff appearances and World Series runners up. This should be possible to research if anyone is a real e-mail packrat. WIS.com, at the end of each season, e-mails all league participants the playoff series results.I have a bunch of these old e-mails, but not all of them, I don't think.
I have found all this information for all our leagues. It's not organized or entered into a spreadsheet or anything yet.For a trip down Memory Lane, here's our very first WIS league:WIS I - FINAL STANDINGSColome Is A God (15-147) ... Owner: funkley (447)Dragons, Arks and Lebron (10-152) ... Owner: bentleytx (154)Cellar Dwellers (11-151) ... Owner: trefor3 (-137)
:lmao:

What's significant about this is that early on, mrharrier was our resident WIS expert. He was ahead of the curve on a lot of the sim-specific statistical analysis, and wasn't shy about letting us know it. I think the sim engine changed at some point, though, and he didn't adapt. Harr totally ignored defense (which seemingly used to work at one time), and sold out almost every other offensive stat for the sake of huge BB/100 rates. I remember the sim being much more forgiving of fatigue, and mrharrier relying on that to use Mark Eichhorn as a starting pitcher in III or IV.
This doesn't bode well for me, I think I won the first one I played in, and didn't win another one since.MLB80858 PLAYOFF RECAP

=====================

In the World Series, Ueckered Again! outlasted Sparty On in 6 games.

Ueckered Again! advances to the Tournament of Champions for a chance to win $250.

Sparty On advances to the Tournament of Champions for a chance to win $250.

For more information on Tournament of Champions click here: http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/toc.asp.

MLB80858 FINAL STANDINGS

=====================

National League East

Ueckered Again! (104-58) ... Owner: jfranco77 (67694)

This Old Man He Played X (94-68) ... Owner: sf_eephus (3827)

Six ##### & a Woodeshick (90-72) ... Owner: usfdons (1859)

Norwood's Ed Charleses (80-82) ... Owner: scottnorwood (1400)

Krafts ####-N-Balls (79-83) ... Owner: loudhogan (2844)

$104M of sucktitude (78-84) ... Owner: hoosfirst (1480)

THRILLHOUSE (77-85) ... Owner: nwickman (1697)

**** Groat's Growths (75-87) ... Owner: notorioustre (2575)

belljr (68-94) ... Owner: eabelljr (1182)

New Orleans Pelicans (65-97) ... Owner: bordelond (2280)

Patriot League East

Sparty On (95-67) ... Owner: bulldogben (2653)

TU's Wrigley Fielders (89-73) ... Owner: gothamite (2175)

Freehan2Knoop2Bilko (87-75) ... Owner: dr_detroit (2625)

Brock n' Broglio's Hackers (84-78) ... Owner: zeileisgod (1057)

Gaylord's ####ers (83-79) ... Owner: greco (-91)

Dome Sweet Dome (82-80) ... Owner: garyx23 (5319)

The Right Bower (81-81) ... Owner: larryboy4444 (1651)

Lolly_Boys_44 (77-85) ... Owner: rocknrolen (1789)

P.O.P.S. (66-96) ... Owner: koya (2751)

SofaKings (66-96) ... Owner: sofakings (1142)

I don't know if it was so much the sim engine changing as it was everybody else catching up to him.He was always talking about where he had guys ranked on his spreadsheet. I've used a system like that before and what I found is that if you follow your rankings too close, you end up drafting a bunch of guys with the same flaw that your sheet didn't weight heavily enough. I think that's what he did... he had lots of OBP freaks but no power and he left a gazillion guys on base.

I also think he was exploiting our inexperience a bit in the first two sims - lots of high BB/9 pitchers got drafted, so getting OBP freaks took advantage of that. By WIS III, the majority knew walks were really bad for pitchers.

In other news ...

One thing I'd like to get is all time playoff appearances and World Series runners up. This should be possible to research if anyone is a real e-mail packrat. WIS.com, at the end of each season, e-mails all league participants the playoff series results.I have a bunch of these old e-mails, but not all of them, I don't think.
I have found all this information for all our leagues. It's not organized or entered into a spreadsheet or anything yet.For a trip down Memory Lane, here's our very first WIS league:WIS I - FINAL STANDINGSColome Is A God (15-147) ... Owner: funkley (447)Dragons, Arks and Lebron (10-152) ... Owner: bentleytx (154)Cellar Dwellers (11-151) ... Owner: trefor3 (-137)
Picking up the fill-in teams was not good for my ID. ;)

In other news ...

:lmao: :lmao:

and it should be noted that the sim for WIS I was not planned originally. That was just supposed to be a regular all-time draft, with perhaps a vote by the FFA. Some teams started in on the sim-fishing anyway, as soon as talk even began about possibly using WIS.

So far my team isn't very good. Then again I've had other preseason teams that weren't great and did fine.This not having a defined closer is new for me though, and last night I blew fives saves in two games against myself. :X

WIS I - FINAL STANDINGS

these were truly teams of leftovers, compiled after the entire draft, though we may have had some leeway on newer players, iirc. actually, what i recall was that i was part of a 3-team draft of newer players (those that missed the cutoff for the regular draft) and Negro Leaguers. But, of course, we couldn't use the latter group in the sim. So that must be the Bullet Joes team. But the "Leftovers" were just that.

and i also recall that we (all?) had to use the 3rd best season in WIS, but i don't remember how we defined that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at my pitching, it would appear as if I've never done one of these before. This is gonna be tragic.

WIS I - FINAL STANDINGS

these were truly teams of leftovers, compiled after the entire draft, though we may have had some leeway on newer players, iirc. actually, what i recall was that i was part of a 3-team draft of newer players (those that missed the cutoff for the regular draft) and Negro Leaguers. But, of course, we couldn't use the latter group in the sim. So that must be the Bullet Joes team. But the "Leftovers" were just that.

and i also recall that we (all?) had to use the 3rd best season in WIS, but i don't remember how we defined that.
Yeah, it was me, you and GWB I think. And we foolishly (in retrospect) took a lot of negro leaguers.

Here are all the World Series appearances (translating WIS names into current FBG names):

WIS I - pumpnick over mrharrier 4-2

WIS II - Spartans Rule over Koya 4-2

WIS III - dirtyhalos over Mr. Pickles 4-2

WIS IV - RnR over Doug B 4-3

WIS V - Koya over eephus 4-3

WIS VI - Kraft over Doctor Detroit 4-3

WIS VII - Kraft over eephus 4-3

WIS VIII - Doug B over eephus 4-1

WIS IX - Koya over Notorious T.R.E. 4-3

WIS X - eephus over SoCalBroncoFan 4-0

WIS XI - jfranco over Spartans Rule 4-2

WIS XII - Brady Marino over pumpnick 4-1

WIS XIII - Hoos First over oso diablo 4-2

WIS XIV - Doug B over Doug B 4-1

WIS BTTF 2011 - Arsenal of Doom over Notorious T.R.E. 4-2

WIS XV - Doctor Detroit over jfranco 4-0

WIS BTTF 2012 - scoobus over jfranco 4-3

Is Mr. Phoenix still around?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it was me, you and GWB I think. And we foolishly (in retrospect) took a lot of negro leaguers.
maybe it would mess with the "purity:" of the sim data ... but WIS really ought to think of a way to incorporate the Negro Leagues. Even if they don't have accurate stats, I'd think that people would be happy to use fictionalized stats in certain theme leagues. Maybe map each Negro Leaguer to a statistically- and/or reputationally-similar AL/NL player.

I've been winning at around a 70% clip over the first 20-25 pre-season games I've played. So I'm pretty sure that means I'm going to lose 100 games in the actual sim.

What is weird is that you have his current alias in WIS III finals losing to Halos.
Didn't realize it was a three-way (or more) set.I've invited "Mr. Pickles" back to several past WIS drafts. Guess I wasted those keystrokes :lmao:

What is weird is that you have his current alias in WIS III finals losing to Halos.
Didn't realize it was a three-way (or more) set.I've invited "Mr. Pickles" back to several past WIS drafts. Guess I wasted those keystrokes :lmao:
Mr. Pickles is Invisigirl.Mr. Phoenix is lastresort is Brady Marino.

Pumpnick is Pampernick is Pumplump, but we still don't know what a Pumpnick is.

maybe it would mess with the "purity:" of the sim data ... but WIS really ought to think of a way to incorporate the Negro Leagues. Even if they don't have accurate stats, I'd think that people would be happy to use fictionalized stats in certain theme leagues. Maybe map each Negro Leaguer to a statistically- and/or reputationally-similar AL/NL player.
The Negro League stats on B-R are interesting but they're terribly incomplete. There's less data to work with than the 19th century ballplayers.

I thought this was lost to a thread purge, but it's still there: the ***OFFICIAL*** FFA MLB Draft thread from January 2005. There was an earlier FFA All-Time MLB Draft or some such -- we were drafting that in November-December 2004. I believe that draft was only 16 players deep since the WIS league wasn't yet conceived. The thread in the link was clearly after going to the WIS league was decided -- WIS is referenced in the OP, and we're picking stadiums on Pg 1. Here's the league rules from Capella's OP:

***Rules***

Players must have 5 years of MLB service to be drafted.

No player may be selected who was not on an active MLB roster in 1994 or before. So anybody who's first day on an MLB roster came in 1995 or after is ineligible to be drafted.

25-man rosters, you will be required to set your rotation and lineups.

Results will be decided by FFA draft in a 7-game series. Seedings, etc will be worked out by some committee.

All participants are asked to take place in a whatifsports.com simulation after the draft and FFA results are held. Cost is $10, and we will use a player's third-best season (determined by WIS.com's "salary system") to formulate the rosters.

THAT SAID, players are to be drafted based on their complete careers, not on just one good season. The WIS.com sim is just an afterthought or a second facet to the whole draft.

Draft will start with a 'stadium selection' in reverse order. So Larryboy has the first selection of his stadium.

I thought this was lost to a thread purge, but it's still there: the ***OFFICIAL*** FFA MLB Draft thread from January 2005. There was an earlier FFA All-Time MLB Draft or some such -- we were drafting that in November-December 2004. I believe that draft was only 16 players deep since the WIS league wasn't yet conceived.
There is actually a link to that older thread in the OP of the ***OFFICIAL*** FFA MLB Draft thread ... but the thread purge must've killed off all the pre-2005 threads :kicksrock: If we're VERY lucky, archive.net might have it :shrug:

Love this old exchange from WIS I. Does the sim engine still produce this kind of stuff?

'Doug B said:
'UCONN]IP H R ER BB K HR PC ERA (season) Harry Colliflower 3.00 17 22 22 7 0 7 123 17.20 Tough day at the office. [/QUOTE]Not only that said:
Bottom 7: N.O. Blackened Voodoo

Ted Kluszewski hits a double. [2] Eddie Murray gets walked. [12] George Brett hits a flyball triple to right center. [3] Ernie Lombardi hits a home run. Warren Spahn is being pinch hit for by Toby Harrah. Toby Harrah hits a double. [2] Tim Raines gets walked. [12] Buddy Myer gets walked. [123] Alan Trammell hits a home run. Stan Musial hits a home run. Ted Kluszewski hits a double. [2] Harry Colliflower '99 throws a wild pitch. Kluszewski advances to third. [3] Eddie Murray hits a single. [1] George Brett hits into a fielders choice. [1] Ernie Lombardi lines out to 2B. Toby Harrah gets walked. [12] Tim Raines gets walked. [123] Buddy Myer gets walked. Brett scores from third. [123] Alan Trammell hits a line drive double to left center. Myer scores from first. [2] Stan Musial hits a home run. Ted Kluszewski is hit by a pitch. Harry Colliflower '99 has been ejected. Brownie Foreman '96 is the new pitcher. [1] Eddie Murray flies out to deep LF.
:eek: I don't care if it is a filler team -- my team needed a breakout like this.

That's awesome! I haven't had anything like this and don't read everybody elses box-score for every game, but I think somebody mentioned somebody charging the mound before.
Oh, UCONN -- that happened in this last game, too. I didn't notice it the first time around ... but this is actually from the game summary:
Bottom 5: N.O. Blackened Voodoo

Warren Spahn grounds out. Tim Raines hits a single. [1] Buddy Myer hits a line drive double to right center. Raines scores from first. [2] Alan Trammell lines out to SS. Stan Musial hits a home run. Ted Kluszewski hits a home run. Eddie Murray hits a single. [1] George Brett hits a home run. Ernie Lombardi is hit by a pitch. Lombardi is not happy at all with that last pitch. Both benches have emptied. One of the coaches has just charged Harry Colliflower '99 and been thrown to the ground by his ears! Looks like he'll be okay though. Home plate umpire Steve Rippley issues a warning to Harry Colliflower '99. [1] Warren Spahn grounds out to SS.
The Voodoo coach charging the mound :rotflmao: I didn't know the sim had this kind of action! Gotta read my box scores more closely from here on.

:thumbup:

[/QUOTE]

Doug - Might be a good idea to archive this stuff with our list of past winners so that we can move the interesting stuff forward with each new thread.

The BBT forums are lost forever but some of the content is still in the wayback machine

Mr. Pickles In & Out: Capella smells: EXCLUSIVE!Mr. Pickle's In & OutTALLAHASSEE, FLChris Beltz (a.k.a. "Capella", presumably stemming from his correspondance study at Capella University) smells.The foul odor was reported by several of his neighbors on Monday as Capella was leaving his apartment, apparently in a rush to make his final class of the day. "We thought it was a backed up sewer line or maybe a rotting dead pig. Tally ain't the best smelling place in the world, but we thought this was a little ridiculous," said Jeff Cajuste, a third year Social Sciences major from Palatka. Others agreed. "Yeah, it's been a persistent problem for weeks now," claimed Christina Guenther, fourth year Music major (woodwinds) from Kissimmee. "I could smell that stench from a mile away. It seems to go through walls. Very evil."Local residents have complained to apartment management for weeks without resolution. "I tried filing a formal complaint with those guys in the office, but they don't do nothing about it! It's like talking to a wall in there," said Tobias P. Copassaki, an area vagrant who does odd jobs for food stamps. "I've even asked the guy to use soap. Hell, I even use soap, and I don't have a home. It always ends with Capella yelling something about being a lawyer and suing us all." Management at "Noles #1 Apartments" refused comment.Officials at Florida State have been contacted about the matter, beginning with a petition "against poo smells on campus" containing 250+ names, and are investigating possible recourse including freezing of records or eliminating future release of FSU home game tickets to Mr. Beltz. "We'll get his attention one way or another," said Janine Fitzpatrick of the FSU athletic ticket office. "Doak-Campbell doesn't take kindly to stinkers."

OK, alignment is done, schedule should be generated overnight, and then I think you have to wait until the first game to play live?

I will never win 109 games in one if these again. I think I knew players from the old rotojunkie.com Vintage Drafts and got some good pitching maybe. I've never been able to sim-fish this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread