What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL WIS XVIII THREAD: An Ode to Claude Hendrix (1 Viewer)

I think Franco used hitter only rankings, FWIW. I was first on his list, and my team definitely hits the best, but the pitching is horrendous.
I recall him saying that he weighted hitting more, but can't imagine pitching was not taken into consideration.

Either way, will be curious to see how the rankings map out with the playoff teams this time. Last time it was not terribly off, this time it might be a bit more all over the place.

Best two players on my team are Sam Thompson and Red Ruffing. Neither of which I drafted.
I'd draft Thompson again, just wasn't clicking. Likely just needed time but sometimes it seems better to just act.

Ruffing did really well for me in the brief time I had him.

I think Franco used hitter only rankings, FWIW. I was first on his list, and my team definitely hits the best, but the pitching is horrendous.
I used both. Maybe I should just do hitting 1-24 and pitching 1-24 and then rank by the lowest score.

I did have RNR with the best offense and the worst pitching. Just that I had the offense high enough that it made his overall team rank really high.

Brady had a really high rated offense and mid-range pitching.

Koya's team actually had a really low pitching rating. Tre's team and my team had top-shelf pitching and a much higher rated offense than Koya's team.

I'm going to try to do some analysis once the league is over to figure out where my rankings were wrong.

OK, just going 1-24 and 1-24 and adding them together, here's what we get.

1. TRE (8 hit, 3 pitch) ... 82-66

2. DrD (2 hit, 10 pitch) ... 74-74

3. eephus (11 hit, 4 pit) ... 75-73

4. jfranco (10 hit, 5 pit) ... 80-68

5. pump (15 hit, 1 pit) .. 80-68

6. moops (5 hit, 11 pit) ... 80-68

I used both. Maybe I should just do hitting 1-24 and pitching 1-24 and then rank by the lowest score.

I did have RNR with the best offense and the worst pitching. Just that I had the offense high enough that it made his overall team rank really high.

Koya's team actually had a really low pitching rating. Tre's team and my team had top-shelf pitching and a much higher rated offense than Koya's team.

I'm going to try to do some analysis once the league is over to figure out where my rankings were wrong.
Interesting. Even though my later trades definitely gave me an improvement, I was always very happy with my pitching from the start with Joss, K Brown and Pelty and then Hershiser when needed plus the pen. My concern had been the position players but I was always confident in my pitching.

I really loved my team's offensive firepower on paper heading into the year, but everyone wilted for some reason. Musial has been studly since the Sosa trade, but Big Mac and Mathews have just been pedestrian, along with just about everyone else on my team (Kelley has rebounded nicely of late). Just about everyone besides maybe Musial is hitting noticeably below expected, and this coming from a team that plays in hitter haven Sportsman's Park.

Pitching, though, continues to be my Waterloo. Sutton has been wonderful, and Henke has been a rock since coming over in a koyatrade. Everyone else, though, has had various degrees of suckitude. Even McNally has fallen off the face of the earth after being a solid #2 early.

I guess that just speaks to the variation that comes in sims.

i had my pitching set wrong for half the season. The sim was keeping my starters in way too long and it took me that long to figure it out.

Arsenal - we have a 4 game series to end the year. I think it is scheduled for Monday. If I am within 4 games of you and franco, we should sim live those on Sunday evening. You around if that is the case?

With pump sealing the division and the rest of my opponents being the suck like I am, I've decided that Joe McGinnity should get the rest of my team's starts this season. :coffee:

So with 14 games left I was 8 games back of Tre. Now, after winning 4 in a row and Tre losing 4 in a row I am 4 back with 10 to play. Still an almost impossible amount to make up, but at least I have something to play for over the last 10 games.

So with 14 games left I was 8 games back of Tre. Now, after winning 4 in a row and Tre losing 4 in a row I am 4 back with 10 to play. Still an almost impossible amount to make up, but at least I have something to play for over the last 10 games.
Guess I better stop resting guys. FRACK

One of the better races that I can remember going on in the AL. Nothing clinched as of yet with the last two intra-division series starting today.

Joss and Babe Adams came through after a mini slump over the past ten or twelve games overall to split the series with a Moops after he took the first two, making things very uncomfortable.

yea. wish I could have grabbed one of those last 2 games from ya. hoping I get a sweep or at worst 3/4 from AI today/tomorrow. If I split, Arsenal and I will be tied with a 4 game series to end the year.

####### franco and rodg can sneak in too

I did at least make sure my pitching is lined up so Walter Johnson will pitch 2 of the 4 games in my final set with moops. If I lose, at least I'll have left it all on the table.

yea. wish I could have grabbed one of those last 2 games from ya. hoping I get a sweep or at worst 3/4 from AI today/tomorrow. If I split, Arsenal and I will be tied with a 4 game series to end the year.

####### franco and rodg can sneak in too
With so many still within striking distance I'm not getting any rest of my players. Heck, I have Joss schedule next at 98% because if I had lost to you in that final game it would have been way too close for comfort. Even as of now need to watch the next four (AoD and I have already simmed our series) to see where things stand.

I "think" I clinched? Well actually I don't think I did but it has me clinching on the standings. Arsenal cant catch me but unless I'm missing something if loops wins all seven and I lose my remaining four we should tie.

It does, however, appear that I've clinched at least a playoff spot, so:

:CHAMPAGNE:

Last edited by a moderator:
what time u free tomorrow night arsenal? no matter how these last 3 games with AI turn out we will be within a game or two of each other.

txt me if you want. my #is on bttf Google doc

I "think" I clinched? Well actually I don't think I did but it has me clinching on the standings. Arsenal cant catch me but unless I'm missing something if loops wins all seven and I lose my remaining four we should tie.

It does, however, appear that I've clinched at least a playoff spot, so:

:CHAMPAGNE:
Indeed I have "unclinched" - it seems that because we had sim lived games that for a bit Arsenal was slightly ahead of Moops in the standings but with less games left, so he was in second place and couldn't catch me, but Moops, in third at the time, could. So now that Moops won a game and went a half game ahead of Arsenal, I've "unclinched" the division. Need one win or one Moops loss to seal the deal.

what time u free tomorrow night arsenal? no matter how these last 3 games with AI turn out we will be within a game or two of each other.

I'll be around most of the day. If possible we should try to play before 4 Mountain as our first game would be simmed sometime shortly after that.

I'll be around most of the day. If possible we should try to play before 4 Mountain as our first game would be simmed sometime shortly after that.
If I'm around ill gladly spectate the final series showdown.

Arsenal of Doom said:
the moops said:

I'm at home with 2 sick kids. no chance for me to sim live until they go to bed. if these ####ers ever do

ON THE NEXT...30 FOR 30

Team owner: "With pump sealing the division and the rest of my opponents being the suck like I am, I've decided that Joe McGinnity should get the rest of my team's starts this season."

*image of Joe McGinnity's team photo*

Scott Farrell: "McGinnity? Guy couldn't win if he bet on Kim Jong-un to be re-elected in North Korea! He's screw up with his bookie and bet on Crimea to stay in Ukraine! He's HORRIBLE!"

Narrator: "What if I told you...the best laid plans of evil owners...often go awry?"

PBP announcer: "The Kauffs have won five in a row and 6 of the last 7...all with Joe McGinnity on the mound! They have swept the division champions...is this real?!"

*image of Joe getting mobbed after pitching a 1-0 CG shutout.*

Joe McGinnity: "I'm just doing what my hero Old Hoss Radbourn did: take the mound every...single...day. And win."

Narrator: "ESPN's 30 for 30 presents...Super Joe. 9 PM Eastern on Sunday, only on ESPN."

Still a 3-way race for the AL wildcard. I won the first game of the series with moops so we are tied with 3 games to go. If either of us win out we'd be the wildcard.

If we go 2-1 in those, franco could still sneak in to force a play in game if he wins out.

Good series, guys.

JFranc needs to win four in a row to get in (3 in a row then a playin), otherwise its Moops. Down to the wire indeed.

Looks like things are finally locked down. Moops holds on for the WC in a very tight race with Arsenal and JFranco. Some pretty familiar faces going to the playoffs, including ol' timers Sparty (one ring), pump (one ring), kraft (2 rings), koya (3 rings), Doug (2 rings) and "Formerly .500" SNC winning divisions and probably the best WIS player to not yet win it all, TRE along with the one sorta newcomer Moops in the WCs.

Will Tre get his first? Will Kraft or Doug tie Koya with 3 WIS championships? One thing we do know, Joe McGinninity's season is (finally) done.

Looks like things are finally locked down. Moops holds on for the WC in a very tight race with Arsenal and JFranco.
Isn't Arsenal still alive for the AL wild card? One game back with two to play?
No, we simlived our finial games so moops and I are done.

ETA: congrats and GL to all the playoff teams. Koya and moops, I hope one of you can take the title home for our division of death.

Users who are viewing this thread