What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

older runningbacks this year (1 Viewer)

fruity pebbles

Footballguy
Dillon, Holmes and Martin were the only runningbacks at or over 31 years old and in the top 20 rankings. All flopped this year and didn't live up to where they were drafted. Barber and Dunn are a year younger and had very good years for where they were selected. Any hesitancy in drafting them next year. Both will be 31 years old.

I wouldn't worry too much in a redraft.In 2004, Barber tied his career best in YPC and Dunn posted his second best season in YPC. YPC is probably the best indicator of a RB slowing down.I don't expect either of them to duplicate this season, but they shouldn't fall off the face of the Earth either.

I wouldn't worry too much in a redraft.

In 2004, Barber tied his career best in YPC and Dunn posted his second best season in YPC. YPC is probably the best indicator of a RB slowing down.

I don't expect either of them to duplicate this season, but they shouldn't fall off the face of the Earth either.
Both Martin and Dillon had their best year last year in terms of YPC.

In 2004, Barber tied his career best in YPC and Dunn posted his second best season in YPC. YPC is probably the best indicator of a RB slowing down.

I don't expect either of them to duplicate this season, but they shouldn't fall off the face of the Earth either.
Both Martin and Dillon had their best year last year in terms of YPC.
:goodposting:

I wasn't expecting Tiki to come close to his totals last year. But he did. Him getting knocked out of the playoffs saves some mileage.The other guy I'm "worried" about is Edge. Especially if they stay alive late into the tournament.

In 2004, Barber tied his career best in YPC and Dunn posted his second best season in YPC.  YPC is probably the best indicator of a RB slowing down.

I wasn't expecting Tiki to come close to his totals last year. But he did. Him getting knocked out of the playoffs saves some mileage.The other guy I'm "worried" about is Edge. Especially if they stay alive late into the tournament.
Luckily, Edge is much younger. However, history has not always been kind to RB's coming off extremely large carry totals in a previous season.

In 2004, Barber tied his career best in YPC and Dunn posted his second best season in YPC.  YPC is probably the best indicator of a RB slowing down.

Luckily, Edge is much younger. However, history has not always been kind to RB's coming off extremely large carry totals in a previous season.
MOST RB TOUCHES OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS (REGULAR SEASON ONLY):1. LaDainian Tomlinson 1196

2. Edgerrin James 1150

3. Tiki Barber 1132

4. Shaun Alexander 1129

5. Clinton Portis 1093

6. Curtis Martin 1021

7. Rudi Johnson 972

8. Jamal Lewis 959

9. Domanick Davis 924

10. Fred Taylor 896

MOST RB TOUCHES OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS (REGULAR SEASON ONLY):1. LaDainian Tomlinson 1196

2. Edgerrin James 1150

3. Tiki Barber 1132

4. Shaun Alexander 1129

5. Clinton Portis 1093

6. Curtis Martin 1021

7. Rudi Johnson 972

8. Jamal Lewis 959

9. Domanick Davis 924

10. Fred Taylor 896
I was thinking more along the lines of:Jamal Lewis - 2003 387 attempts, 2004 - 235

Dillon - 2004 345 attempts (plus a road to the SB), 2005 - 209

Martin - 2004 371 attempts, 2005 - 220

Those are imperfect examples, I know. Didn't Footballguys do an article a few years ago that said RB decline is more correlated to age than touches? Even so, when I see an old RB with high carry totals, I shy away the next year. Young guys body's seem to be able to handle the wear and tear better.

Barber and Dunn have had complimentary backs for most of their careers, therefore are not quite as old as their age suggests. I like Barber the most of the two, but both will probably fall below their actual value because of age making them good picks yet again.

I have looked into RB performance quite a bit, and what I've concluded that RBs getting 350+ touches USUALLY are inclined to decline in their workload AND most RBs don't normally do as well much past 30. Of course, there are exceptions.As to the first part, ANY running back is very unlikely to get 350 carries in a season to begin with. There's only been 51 times where a RB has had that many carries in a season (all over the past 26 years), so just doing the math would mostly explain why players typically see a reduction in their productivity.Now, if you want to make a case that the following year these guys break down more, that's a tough one to validate either way. RB will get hurt a lot more than other players, and I've found that on average a starting RB missing 2 to 2.5 games per year. That includes guys that miss 10 games or 1 game (or no games), so "average" is a bit misleading.As for the over 30 crowd, here's all the guys that have had 200+ fantasy points at age 31 or older . . .John Riggins 35 212.20 John Riggins 34 281.60 Walter Payton 32 237.50 Ottis Anderson 32 213.10 Mike Anderson 32 200.60 Curtis Martin 31 278.20 Walter Payton 31 269.40 Ricky Watters 31 239.50 Tony Dorsett 31 235.60 Lenny Moore 31 219.60 Floyd Little 31 218.20 James Brooks 31 208.50Basically, 3 guys in the past 16 years. (200 points normally would rank someone in the RB10-12 range.)

all 3 of those guys got hurt. As was said, Curtis and Dillon did well in 04, Priest has still been predictably injured and predictably excellent when healthy. Supposing they all return in good health, it'll be very interesting next summer.Personally, I'd trade Priest if I were a Chiefs exec. At a minimum, there's 31 teams that would use him as their goalline back without blinking an eye. All 3 if healthy and "sharp" will be hard to bench. Martin's a HOFer, Priest has had "best of" seasons, Dillons consecutive 1000 yard string is quite impresive too.I've never cared for RBBC. I wouldn't be surprised if these 3, or 2 of 3, are annoying next year for FF. Coach thinks "How do I sit a guy THAT good?" and also "How can I ignore his age and not work the younger back, no RB=no job for me"....eventually it's a RBBC that just stinks.

all 3 of those guys got hurt. As was said, Curtis and Dillon did well in 04, Priest has still been predictably injured and predictably excellent when healthy. Supposing they all return in good health, it'll be very interesting next summer.

Personally, I'd trade Priest if I were a Chiefs exec. At a minimum, there's 31 teams that would use him as their goalline back without blinking an eye. All 3 if healthy and "sharp" will be hard to bench. Martin's a HOFer, Priest has had "best of" seasons, Dillons consecutive 1000 yard string is quite impresive too.

I've never cared for RBBC. I wouldn't be surprised if these 3, or 2 of 3, are annoying next year for FF. Coach thinks "How do I sit a guy THAT good?" and also "How can I ignore his age and not work the younger back, no RB=no job for me"....eventually it's a RBBC that just stinks.
They didn't play well even before they got hurt. All three looked like old men out there compared to their younger counterparts. It may not be a coincidence that injury and age go hand in hand.

I'd say it's pretty difficult to give Martin anything but an incomplete this year. The Jets top 2 QBs went down, top 2 OL, top TE and they lost 2 excellent run blockers in McKenzie in the off-season. Martin himself was also injured.Martin didn't play well, but when you're ranking the list of reasons why, age isn't anywhere in my top 5.

Users who are viewing this thread