What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One night in San Diego....what should I do? (1 Viewer)

playin4beer

Footballguy
I'll be in San Diego for training Sept 12-16th. Never been there or to California. I guess it's pretty intensive training/team building on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. All day, into the night, no phones, no outside contact, save for emergencies. I'm done Friday afternoon and fly out first thing Saturday morning. So I'm extremely limited on time and pretty much will only have Tuesday afternoon/night (training starts 1pm on Wednesday) and Friday night to check out the area. Just doing some quick looking on the innernets, I was thinking about checking out Seaport Village for some food/drinks.

Anybody local have any input?

i wandered to El Cajon last time out there ... met one DeDe Frost at a cantina, enjoyed her company very much - she gotta be pushin' 50 nowadays.

hmu if interested.

I absolutely love the vibe, bars, and restaurants in Ocean Beach, but you can't really go wrong with Pacific Beach or Gaslamp, either. Just mill around, grab some beers from breweries, get some local fish or shrimp tacos, and relax.

I go there once a year for a conference, actually be getting in the 16th.

I never have a ton of free time either, but our hotel is right there by seaport village. Its nice and handy for take out and beer by the water. Our go to is now is taking the ferry out to Coronado. Chill on the beach for a bit then end up at the Hotel Coronado on the patio for an early dinner or just drinks and apps. Its the best. My wife and I look forward to that afternoon every year.

I'll second @Zow with a trip to Ocean Beach too. Similar patio style restaurants with fun vibes, probably more to do out there.

We've had nights in the Gas Lamp ands its just not really for us anymore. If you're into bar hopping thats the spot to go.

Plenty of good breweries too if you like that. Stone and Ballast Point have nice Brew Pubs there, We like Green Flash too, but its a $25 uber. Still fun.

Really excellent Mexican spot just out front of Seaport if you like that. https://www.eatpuesto.com/san-diego-event-spaces/

If they're playing, go to a Padres game. Really awesome stadium.

If it's open late enough, the USS Midway/museum on the harbor is amazing as well.

some bad shtick in here but looks like the Padres are out of town while you are there so strike that off the list. OB and PB are solid options to uber over to, if you have a car then you could venture up to La Jolla. Del Mar wraps up the weekend before you get down there so you'll just miss the ponies running live.

Born, raised and still live here(ish). If you’re looking for food and cocktail type activity, the gaslamp and Seaport Village are good options. Tons of restaurants/bars. They’re a mile or two away from each other so you could go to both. Also, Little Italy is just a few miles away from downtown and really cool for food as well. Very different vibe.

If you wanted to explore San Diego type stuff, I recommend Coronado, the Hotel Del, and that beach as it has the best San Diego vibe. Maybe Balboa park too. Some of the more classic beaches like PB or Mission have a little bit more of the rough local vibe (More the place you want to go if you’re 21 and looking to get drunk).

feel free to hit me up with any questions. I’m happy to help. Have fun, San Diego is the best city in the country in my opinion.

I forgot to add, Water Bar in PB is solid to eat, drink, watch sports and people watch as it's right on the board walk.

Born, raised and still live here(ish). If you’re looking for food and cocktail type activity, the gaslamp and Seaport Village are good options. Tons of restaurants/bars. They’re a mile or two away from each other so you could go to both. Also, Little Italy is just a few miles away from downtown and really cool for food as well. Very different vibe.

If you wanted to explore San Diego type stuff, I recommend Coronado, the Hotel Del, and that beach as it has the best San Diego vibe. Maybe Balboa park too. Some of the more classic beaches like PB or Mission have a little bit more of the rough local vibe (More the place you want to go if you’re 21 and looking to get drunk).

feel free to hit me up with any questions. I’m happy to help. Have fun, San Diego is the best city in the country in my opinion.
Would totally agree but for the cost of living and traffic. I'd live there if I were Chet level rich and didn't have to work.

Easily my favorite city to visit, though. Been 4 times and always love it. I can actually relax and shut off work there.

too bad about the padres. half door brewery right by the stadium is cool. i really liked it. last time i was down there we did a self guided brewery tour. we did it on the scooters one can rent. it was really fun.

it's been 24 years since i lived in PB. i'll defer to others with more recent knowledge.

it's been 24 years since i lived in PB. i'll defer to others with more recent knowledge.
Yeah that’s about the right time (age to be as I think we are close in age) to be living there. Early 20’s is the time as you don’t mind getting into a bar fight if it goes down, which there the chances were 50/50 in those day. That all got old by the time I was 24/25….

I go there once a year for a conference, actually be getting in the 16th.

I never have a ton of free time either, but our hotel is right there by seaport village. Its nice and handy for take out and beer by the water. Our go to is now is taking the ferry out to Coronado. Chill on the beach for a bit then end up at the Hotel Coronado on the patio for an early dinner or just drinks and apps. Its the best. My wife and I look forward to that afternoon every year.

I'll second @Zow with a trip to Ocean Beach too. Similar patio style restaurants with fun vibes, probably more to do out there.

We've had nights in the Gas Lamp ands its just not really for us anymore. If you're into bar hopping thats the spot to go.

Plenty of good breweries too if you like that. Stone and Ballast Point have nice Brew Pubs there, We like Green Flash too, but its a $25 uber. Still fun.

Really excellent Mexican spot just out front of Seaport if you like that. https://www.eatpuesto.com/san-diego-event-spaces/
I don’t want to deningrate Stone and Ballast, but Burgeon, Eppig, Harland, and Societe (to start) are all better these days and there are loads of other places as well. There’s also a thriving hard kambucha scene if that’s your drink of choice as well (Local Roots, boochcraft, and Juneshine all have taprooms), but basically you can’t go wrong stumbling into any taproom these days.

Seaport Village is nice. Not sure if you have the time or their hours but I thought the USS Constitution was really cool to check out.

Had the best breakfast burrito of my life here. chorizo/egg/potato not even sure what cheese.

No idea where to tell you to go though. I did watch Osi Umenyiora get 6 sacks in a game that night. Think it was in the gaslamp.

That was a fun trip, training as well.

Del Mar might be my favorite place in the continental US. Nice (cold though) beach. Great restaurants. Race track isn't full of degenerates. Encinitas up the road. Torrey to the south. Perfection IMO

there are parneras galore in san diego so i dont know about you but i know what id be doing and that is having mac and cheese in a bread bowl which is a crazy little parnera hack from the old swcer for ya take that to the bank bromigos

there are parneras galore in san diego so i dont know about you but i know what id be doing and that is having mac and cheese in a bread bowl which is a crazy little parnera hack from the old swcer for ya take that to the bank bromigos

you would be in taco heaven

well that is true but with the right questions and possibly a wink to the papershaker behind the counter you can actually get parnera to make a pretty good taco take that to the bank brohan

If you have time in the morning/afternoon, I strongly encourage checking out the Midway tour/museum. The nice part about it is you can spend as much/little time there as you want. You could spend an entire afternoon, or just check it out for a couple of hours. Either way, I thought it was fascinating, despite the fact that the tour is definitely not made for tall people (I'm 6'5"). A lot of the ceilings/doorways are less than six feet high. I've seen Alcatraz a handful of times, and I've been to the Reagan Museum three times in the past year and a half, and I'd say it ranks right up there with both of those in terms of not only how interesting it was, but also how impressive the staff members were in their knowledge level of the subject matter.

The zoo is also great, if that's your thing.

There's a pizza joint called Pizza Port there in San Diego (there are a few location). Seems like the SWCer's speed. One of the most relaxed places I've ever entered. It's somehow affordable, relaxed enough to take your kids, and good enough to take some friends or a date.

• Love
Reactions: SWC

Users who are viewing this thread