What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OnRoto Rotisserie Fantasy Football League Draft Advice (1 Viewer)

MOORHEAT

Footballguy
Hello,

I apologize in advance for this complex question.  Looking for your advice on how to draft say the top (10) roster spots for my onroto.com Rotisserie 2020 NFL Fantasy Football league.  This website’s league scoring is radically different than any other site I’ve ever seen or heard of.

Roster is as follows (10 Team League) and you must start 2 QB’s, 2 Team Defenses, 2 Team Offenses, 2 Team Kickers, and 7 Wild Card positions (15 MUST START positions) each week:

2 Team QB’s – (2 categories) Total passing yards combined and Total passing touchdowns combined (NOTE:  rushing yards and rushing TD’s do not benefit these categories)

2 Team Defenses – Total Points allowed by opponent combined (i.e. my teams are Pittsburgh/Baltimore) Pittsburgh/Cincinnati score is Pitt 30, Cincy 20, Baltimore/KC score is Baltimore 35, KC 30 therefore my weekly team total is (50)

2 Team Offenses - Total Points scored by Team Offenses combined (i.e. my teams are Detroit/Seattle) Detroit/Minnesota score is Det 21, Min 20, Seattle plays San Fran and score is Sea 35, SF 30 therefore my weekly team total is (56)

2 Team Kickers – Total kicking points scored combined

10 Wild Card Positions – (4 categories) Scoring is based on total rushing yards combined, total rushing touchdowns, total receiving yards, and total receiving touchdowns combined.  (NOTE:  passing yards/TD’s do not benefit these categories)(NOTE:  you can start any 7 wild cards (RB, WR, TE, QB for rushing and receiving yards/TD’s only)

Categories (Points awarded 1-10)  So weekly points are based on aforementioned scoring for a 10 team league.  For example, if you place first in the league that week for “Team Offense” you would get 10 points for that category, if you finish last in that category you only get 1 point.

Team QB Passing Yards  (let’s say your QB’s combined passing for 800 yards in the week which placed you 2nd best in that category) you receive 9 points

Team QB Passing Touchdowns (let’s say your QB’s scored 4 TD’s combined in the week which placed you 5th best in that category) you receive 6 points

Team Rushing Yards (let’s say your Wild Cards rushed for 600 yards combined in the week which placed you 3rd best in that category) you receive 8 points

Team Rushing Touchdowns (let’s say your Wild Cards rushed for 2 TD’s combined in the week which placed you 9th best in that category) you receive 2 points

Team Receiving Yards (let’s say your Wild Cards received 300 yards combined in the week which placed you 4th best in that category) you receive 7 points

Team Receiving Touchdowns (let’s say your Wild Cards scored 6 TD’s in the week which placed you 1st best in that category) you receive 10 points

Team Offense Points Scored (let’s say your Team Offenses scored 60 Total Points that week placed you 2nd best in that category) you receive 9 points

Team Defense Points Allowed (let’s say your Team Defenses allowed 65 Total Points combined in the week which placed you 10th best in that category) you receive 1 point

Team Kickers Points Scored (let’s say your Team Kicker’s scored 20 field goal points in the week which placed you 3rd best in that category) you receive 8 points

As a result your Weekly Points scored would be (60 Points Total) (9+6+8+2+7+10+9+1+8) for that week.  Each week is scored similarly for all 16 weeks and the winner is the one with the most points at end of regular season.

I have the first pick of the draft and I’m torn between taking KC Team Quarterback or Christian McCaffrey.  Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Sincerely,

~MOORHEAT~

I would draft just like any other typical league.  Players that score well in typical scoring leagues will benefit you here.  

The big difference is you don't need to worry about positions necessarily but guys like CMC who have dual threats that will count should be even more important because they help you in multiple categories.  So with first pick I think CMC is the easy choice.

Devalue running QBs.

Upvalue the pass heavy QBs - the Team QB position can win you 2 categories from 2 players, the other "individual" spots (Team Offense, Team Defense, Team Kicker) only contribute to 1 category for the 2 players.

My best guess, this means that you can pretty safely wait on the kicker, offense and defense spots until probably the first 10 or so from each spot are taken, so that you can concentrate on being stronger at the positions that can win you more categories.

I agree that a legit dual threat like McCaffrey that will contribute to all 4 wild card categories is a prime value - he would be my top pick.

After that though, strategically speaking (just spitballing here), I'm trying to figure out if it may be more advantageous to focus on one set of categories - ie either load up at RB to target the rushing categories or load up on WR to target the receiving categories from the wild card spot. I think I might take the approach of McCaffrey first, top QBs at the 2/3 turn (unless there is a run in the 1st/2nd rounds), then load up on either a bunch of WRs or a bunch of RBs to target two categories in the wild card position. If you can at least be middling for the "individual" positions this approach would give you a strong chance at a top 2-3 finish each week in the QB spots and two of the wild card spots, average to possible above average in the "individual" positions then below average in two of the wild card categories. I'm thinking that trying to balance out rushing and receiving stats may be a recipe for disaster as you end up middling in all the categories, while an approach of loading up on one spot gives you the potential to surprise with your weaker spot (especially if you start off with McCaffrey who can carry either side of the rushing/receiving equation and push you up a spot or two by himself in any give week)

Devalue running QBs.

Upvalue the pass heavy QBs - the Team QB position can win you 2 categories from 2 players, the other "individual" spots (Team Offense, Team Defense, Team Kicker) only contribute to 1 category for the 2 players.

My best guess, this means that you can pretty safely wait on the kicker, offense and defense spots until probably the first 10 or so from each spot are taken, so that you can concentrate on being stronger at the positions that can win you more categories.

I agree that a legit dual threat like McCaffrey that will contribute to all 4 wild card categories is a prime value - he would be my top pick.

After that though, strategically speaking (just spitballing here), I'm trying to figure out if it may be more advantageous to focus on one set of categories - ie either load up at RB to target the rushing categories or load up on WR to target the receiving categories from the wild card spot. I think I might take the approach of McCaffrey first, top QBs at the 2/3 turn (unless there is a run in the 1st/2nd rounds), then load up on either a bunch of WRs or a bunch of RBs to target two categories in the wild card position. If you can at least be middling for the "individual" positions this approach would give you a strong chance at a top 2-3 finish each week in the QB spots and two of the wild card spots, average to possible above average in the "individual" positions then below average in two of the wild card categories. I'm thinking that trying to balance out rushing and receiving stats may be a recipe for disaster as you end up middling in all the categories, while an approach of loading up on one spot gives you the potential to surprise with your weaker spot (especially if you start off with McCaffrey who can carry either side of the rushing/receiving equation and push you up a spot or two by himself in any give week)
I was thinking the same thing in regards to punting some categories.  With CMC I am trying to figure out which is the best way to punt.  He starts you off with a nice baseline for both rushing and receiving categories so is it better to go rushing or receiving?  That is the quandary in my mind.  Being that you have 1st pick and then a long way before 2/3 (and if you follow the advice of taking QB's there) then you are late 4th before you go wildcard picks.  By then I think most of the reasonable RB's are gone so it may be WR's as the way to go.  I guess you will have to see how the draft plays out to see where the value is at those spots. 

Also, as a sneaky play look at what WR's average 2 or 3 rushes a game as  part of their normal touches.  This will help boost you a place or two over the course of the season each week.  .

I was thinking the same thing in regards to punting some categories.  With CMC I am trying to figure out which is the best way to punt.  He starts you off with a nice baseline for both rushing and receiving categories so is it better to go rushing or receiving?  That is the quandary in my mind.  Being that you have 1st pick and then a long way before 2/3 (and if you follow the advice of taking QB's there) then you are late 4th before you go wildcard picks.  By then I think most of the reasonable RB's are gone so it may be WR's as the way to go.  I guess you will have to see how the draft plays out to see where the value is at those spots. 

Also, as a sneaky play look at what WR's average 2 or 3 rushes a game as  part of their normal touches.  This will help boost you a place or two over the course of the season each week.  .

Ha - my initial reply before I edited it before posting essentially laid out a plan that would be CMC at 1, QBs assuming draft fell that way at the 2/3 turn, then loading up on WRs for the next 4-6 rounds, but I hate laying out such a set strategy as you always have to be flexible in the draft. I just think that with no PPR and only looking at yards and touchdowns, you can build a good team that way.

The most likely veer that I could see would be if teams early on (in rounds 1 and 2) load up on QB (so that 6 or 7 are gone by the turn) or WRs so that some real good RB values drop, then you double up on the remaining potential near workhorse RBs in the 2/3 turn and pivot your focus on maximizing the rushing categories. We all know that RB production drops quickly, so if you can land 3 of the top 12ish guys with your first 3 picks, you can essentially do with the RB categories what you would hope to do with the QB category at the 2/3 turn.

Definitely a unique setup for a league - kind of nice to try and think of strategy options for an unusual format.

Ha - my initial reply before I edited it before posting essentially laid out a plan that would be CMC at 1, QBs assuming draft fell that way at the 2/3 turn, then loading up on WRs for the next 4-6 rounds, but I hate laying out such a set strategy as you always have to be flexible in the draft. I just think that with no PPR and only looking at yards and touchdowns, you can build a good team that way.

The most likely veer that I could see would be if teams early on (in rounds 1 and 2) load up on QB (so that 6 or 7 are gone by the turn) or WRs so that some real good RB values drop, then you double up on the remaining potential near workhorse RBs in the 2/3 turn and pivot your focus on maximizing the rushing categories. We all know that RB production drops quickly, so if you can land 3 of the top 12ish guys with your first 3 picks, you can essentially do with the RB categories what you would hope to do with the QB category at the 2/3 turn.

Definitely a unique setup for a league - kind of nice to try and think of strategy options for an unusual format.
I think it may also be of a lot more value to track all the teams picks to see where someone might be cornering the market somewhere so you know that you are fighting for 2nd in that category.  It may allow you to pivot or break ties on certain players you are debating between.  I also think really getting quality projections for the WR's that rush and RB's that catch 50 passes is critical.  Every yard counts in roto so even getting an extra 10-20 yds rushing out of your WR's might be worth a few points in the roto standings. 

Very fresh take on FF for sure

Thanks again Gally, I've been studying my draft order rather rigorously and appreciate your insight!

Last edited by a moderator:
This has to be my favorite FF League.  We put in $200 a team to start, and have another $300 "out of pocket" max for blind bidding free agency for the season.  Once that's gone you are committed to your team.  Another cool angle is Defensive Teams get a 0 on the Bye week so if you can pair say Steelers/Ravens you lock up top category points for that week on top of having 2 monster Defenses. Lots to think about outside of the PPR league norm.  Plus a HUGE payout at the close of the season!! 

2020 DRAFT RESULTS

Team Passing - Passing Yards/Passing TDs only

Deshaun Watson

Phillip Rivers

Wild Cards - Rushing Yards & Rushing TDs/Receiving Yards & Receiving TDs

CMC

Miles Sanders

Devante Adams

David Johnson

Chris Godwin

D.J. Moore

JuJu Smith-Schuster