What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Options Trading (2 Viewers)

NajehHejan said:
PINS closed Friday at $85.90. You can sell a March 5 $83.50 put for $2.41, paying you $241

If you do not mind owning 100 shares of PINS at $83.50, can someone help me analyze the risk/reward proposition here?

Also, would the break-even price for the buyer to "put" the 100 shares to me be $81.09? I did cost of the shares (100 shares x $83.50) - cost of the put (100 x $2.41). Is that math right? So I likely wouldn't get put the shares unless the stock price falls below $81.09?
You would be put into the shares at $83.50 if exercised (most certainly if stock closed below $83.50 on expiration day and less likely if trading below $83.50 before expiration). Your cost basis would be $81.09 plus commissions ($83.50 - $2.41). GL

Also tried a CCL call for July.  this was awhile back kinda testing the system.
Stupid question.

normally I use etrade.  Did a :banned: CCL call awhile back.

CCL $25 call exp 07-16.  

Shows me up 46% but also says it needs to hit $28.45 to break even.  Current price $4.98 avg cost $3.45

so, I assume im "up" 46% but not really up at all.  

Found an open source program out there for visualizing options trades - GraphVega.  Looks very well done to me.

Reddit Thread.   Installation is a bit DOS-ish, but there was a post about halfway down in the thread that made it easy:

How to install this app:

Download the Zip file from the Github link by clicking on the green code button.

Extract the GraphVega folder inside the zip file to somewhere on your computer.

Download and install node.js from here: https://nodejs.org/en/

Open command prompt and get ready to feel like hackerman.

Type these commands exactly: cd C:\whereever\thehell\youextracted\GraphVega-master

Once you've changed the directory to the correct folder type: npm install

While installing get a free API Key (for sandbox) from Tradier (see github post for link).

Once you have your API key from Tradier, open Notepad and type in: TRADIER_API_KEY = YOUR_API_KEY_HERE , then save it to the same GraphVega-master folder as "key.txt". When you save a notepad file it auto saves as a .txt file and we need to change it to a .env file. If you do not have file extensions already showing, go into folder options and turn them on.

Once your key.txt file is created, rename it so that it reads ".env" not key.env literally .env and nothing else. Windows will ask you if you want to change file format blah blah blah just say yes.

By now the install in the command prompt should be done and we can now type in: npm start

After a few minutes your web browser will open up a local web application and you'll be able to use this app. To open it up in the future just open command prompt, cd C:\directory, type npm start.

Ta-da! You can now install a local web app just like the cool kids in '95.

Stupid question.

normally I use etrade.  Did a :banned: CCL call awhile back.

CCL $25 call exp 07-16.  

Shows me up 46% but also says it needs to hit $28.45 to break even.  Current price $4.98 avg cost $3.45

so, I assume im "up" 46% but not really up at all.  
You can always sell to close the call today for $4.98 and pocket the 46% gain.

Break even means the stock needs to get to $28.45 by 7/16 to net out the premium you paid for the the 100 shares you’d be exercising at 25 (25+3.45).

the closer you get to 7/16, the more theta (time) decay on the value of the option. So if the stock opens flat tomorrow, the value of the option will probably be less than $4.98

You can always sell to close the call today for $4.98 and pocket the 46% gain.

Break even means the stock needs to get to $28.45 by 7/16 to net out the premium you paid for the the 100 shares you’d be exercising at 25 (25+3.45).

the closer you get to 7/16, the more theta (time) decay on the value of the option. So if the stock opens flat tomorrow, the value of the option will probably be less than $4.98
Gotcha, so, The 28.45 is only relevant if holding till close.  MAKES SENSE NOW!

Thank you very much  :hifive:  

2) I record and watch Options Action every Friday on CNBC. They usually cover three trades in a thirty minute episode. I can fast forward to hear their analysis and recommendations in about ten minutes. Big fan of Tony Zhang, a little less in love with Carter Worth and Mike Khouw is just meh. When they present a name and the rationale resonates with me and the price is right, I jump. Maybe once or twice per month I follow their lead. I've found them to be about as hit or miss as my own analysis so I don't lean on them much but they do a lot of research that is helpful. They tend to be more medium-term plays, like one or two months out. Not an earnings trade.
This was a very interesting show to watch, thanks for the recommendation. I have CNBC on in the background most days, rare is there something actually useful to listen to.

Sand said:
Anyone looked at The Wheel as a strategy?  Thoughts?
I have read about it and watched a couple videos on it.  I think its fine if you are looking at a stock you don't mind owning.  It seems like your just combining covered calls with cash secured puts to me.  You always have either one or the other month to month. 

I also was learning about poor man's covered calls and married puts over the past couple weekends.  

Lots of strategies.  I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I just sold my first put!

Sold 5 BNGO Mar 19 2021 $11 put for $1.15. Was paid $575 less a small commission. I'm hoping it expires and I bank the cash but I wouldn't mind owning 500 shares of BNGO at $11 each

Sand said:
Anyone looked at The Wheel as a strategy?  Thoughts?
This is actually what I was referencing above when I said the PLTR Puts I sold were not a one-off.

I don't love it, actually, only because I'm not the biggest fan of covered calls. The premium often seems insufficient to me for the upside you're selling. Especially in a stock like PLTR, which was not the ideal place to use it.

Yet I've done it twice in the last 2 weeks for two different reasons.  My Link

In the latest instance, though, I did it because I planned to sell the lots of PLTR at $35 anyway. Overweight position for me. Figured I might as well tack on a few extra $$ if that was the plan regardless. If it screams past $39 by April, I'll "lose" the difference. But the rest of my long position and the premium from the puts should help me drown my sorrows.

I just sold my first put!

Sold 5 BNGO Mar 19 2021 $11 put for $1.15. Was paid $575 less a small commission. I'm hoping it expires and I bank the cash but I wouldn't mind owning 500 shares of BNGO at $11 each
The guy who bought my put must have forgotten to set his alarm today.

Ok.  I'm an idiot.  I fully understand that.  I have begun researching different methods of call/put strategies, and I began reading about 'poor man's covered calls'.

So, this is being sold as an alternative to normal covered calls because the upfront capital is not required to enter the trades.

Example:

Stock at $100
Purchase (Expiration 2) 90 call for $15
Sell (Expiration 1) 110 call for $5
Net debit = $10.00 on a 20-point-wide long call diagonal spread

But, here is where I get hung up.  In order to sell a call, do you not have to own 100 shares of the stock?  So, the initial capital requirements are exactly the same as a regular covered call?  I'm sure I'm missing something completely obvious to people who have more trading experience than me, but this has me thoroughly  :wall:  

Ok.  I'm an idiot.  I fully understand that.  I have begun researching different methods of call/put strategies, and I began reading about 'poor man's covered calls'.

So, this is being sold as an alternative to normal covered calls because the upfront capital is not required to enter the trades.

Example:

Stock at $100
Purchase (Expiration 2) 90 call for $15
Sell (Expiration 1) 110 call for $5
Net debit = $10.00 on a 20-point-wide long call diagonal spread

But, here is where I get hung up.  In order to sell a call, do you not have to own 100 shares of the stock?  So, the initial capital requirements are exactly the same as a regular covered call?  I'm sure I'm missing something completely obvious to people who have more trading experience than me, but this has me thoroughly  :wall:  
How I understand it:

The call that you bought at $15 is collateral for the sold call at the $110 strike price.  For the poor man's covered call, I don't think you are going far enough down on the strike.  It also should be far enough out that you aren't losing a lot of value on the theta. 

Sell the call at the $110 about a month out, and the idea is, if you hit that strike price and the call gets exercised, your broker will automatically exercise your $90 call as the collateral leaving you with a $20 gap, or $10 more than your cost basis.

How I understand it:

The call that you bought at $15 is collateral for the sold call at the $110 strike price.  For the poor man's covered call, I don't think you are going far enough down on the strike.  It also should be far enough out that you aren't losing a lot of value on the theta. 

Sell the call at the $110 about a month out, and the idea is, if you hit that strike price and the call gets exercised, your broker will automatically exercise your $90 call as the collateral leaving you with a $20 gap, or $10 more than your cost basis.
I did not realize holding the long call would be considered collateral for selling the short call.  See, learning something new.  Thanks!

I did not realize holding the long call would be considered collateral for selling the short call.  See, learning something new.  Thanks!
Well, full disclosure, I have never done this method, but as I have just recently been learning about this method, that is what was stated on a couple of the videos.  Would love for someone with more experience to confirm.

I think it depends on what "options level" you've been approved for by your brokerage, too. Some won't allow you to do this until Level 2 or maybe 3.
True.  I have Level 1 on Fidelity.  I'm not jumping in head first.  I'm just learning and trying to understand the mechanics before I advance any further.

Some chatter above about selling (or buying) call spreads where you simultaneously buy one call and sell another at a different strike price. This is a common strategy that is suggested by options traders but my experience is that the bid/ask spreads are typically quite wide and then it is exacerbated because now you have two big spreads due to having a buy and a sell. In short, I stopped using these because of how difficult it is to get into and out of them. The volume just isn't there and I want to be nimble when trading options. In theory, I really like spreads but when it comes time to actually executing them, I'm out.

CCL - 7/16 $25

NIO - 3/12 - $54

PLTR - 8/20 $30

PLTR - 11/19 $35

PLTR - 1/21/22 - $50

CCL - 7/16 $25

NIO - 3/12 - $54

PLTR - 8/20 $30

PLTR - 11/19 $35

PLTR - 1/21/22 - $50
Confession.  Im down 25K in these not including carnival, my smallest position.  💠🖐️

Luckily most have time to recover. :kicksrock:

So, I’m into my first pmcc

$IDEX

Bought:

$0.50 1/20/23 Call @ $2.88 - Delta 0.95

Sold:

$4.00 4/16/21 Call @0.40 - Delta 0.33

Started on the 4th. Of course the price has been dropping with the current correction, so the short leg was coming down nicely. Now, it has started to move up along with everything else. 

My main question is this. At what point do I buy to close my short leg?  50% loss?  Do I keep an eye on the Delta(currently up to 0.43)?  Or, is it strictly up to me and my risk tolerance?  I mean, I’m tiptoeing into this so it’s a small position, I’d just like to know if there is a general rule...

So, I’m into my first pmcc

$IDEX

Bought:

$0.50 1/20/23 Call @ $2.88 - Delta 0.95

Sold:

$4.00 4/16/21 Call @0.40 - Delta 0.33

Started on the 4th. Of course the price has been dropping with the current correction, so the short leg was coming down nicely. Now, it has started to move up along with everything else. 

My main question is this. At what point do I buy to close my short leg?  50% loss?  Do I keep an eye on the Delta(currently up to 0.43)?  Or, is it strictly up to me and my risk tolerance?  I mean, I’m tiptoeing into this so it’s a small position, I’d just like to know if there is a general rule...
Not an expert. I'd say around 45-50 delta. Maybe let the stock surpass today's high, then roll up & out for about $.50?? Too bad you have to go way out until July. 

Down 13K on my NIO call.  2 days left. 

The other day on the down swing I purchased.

RIOT - $41 Call - 4/1  (up $5K) as of today

RIOT - $60 Call - 6/18 (up $900) as of today

RIOT - $42 Call - 1/21/22 (up $1000) as of today

KGB said:
Down 13K on my NIO call.  2 days left. 

The other day on the down swing I purchased.

RIOT - $41 Call - 4/1  (up $5K) as of today

RIOT - $60 Call - 6/18 (up $900) as of today

RIOT - $42 Call - 1/21/22 (up $1000) as of today
Sold up 150% or so.  :thumbup:

FLGT seems like it wants to settle in the neighborhood of $102. Used the red day to sell FLGT July $92.50 puts for $25.10. I didn't want to go out to July, but I was looking for a specific return. There's a decent chance I'll close this pre-earnings and move into something nearer-term, but $67.40 is only 20% higher than the shares I already own if assigned. I could live with that if needed.

I have a couple really basic questions about selling options and I'd like to use UWMC as an example:  https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UWMC/options?p=UWMC&date=1618531200

Scenario 1:  I sell one 4/16 call for $12.50 and the premium is $55?  And would have to sell 100 shares if the stock price gets to (or above) $12.5

Scneario2: I sell on 4/16 put for $4.00 and the premium is $3?  And I would have to buy 100 shares if the stock price falls to $3.

Mostly I'm asking about the premium and if I am reading that correctly. 

I have a couple really basic questions about selling options and I'd like to use UWMC as an example:  https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UWMC/options?p=UWMC&date=1618531200

Scenario 1:  I sell one 4/16 call for $12.50 and the premium is $0.55?  And would have to sell 100 shares if the stock price gets to (or above) $12.5

Scneario2: I sell on 4/16 put for $4.00 and the premium is $3?  And I would have to buy 100 shares if the stock price falls to $3.

Mostly I'm asking about the premium and if I am reading that correctly. 
Fixed that - just a couple orders of magnitude off.   :P

Fixed that - just a couple orders of magnitude off.   :P
Thanks for the response.  So the premium is 55 cents?  Meaning if I sell that call I would get 55 cents in my account immediately and be obligated to sell the shares if the stoke price reaches $12.50.  Why would anyone sell this call for 55 cents?

Thanks for the response.  So the premium is 55 cents?  Meaning if I sell that call I would get 55 cents in my account immediately and be obligated to sell the shares if the stoke price reaches $12.50.  Why would anyone sell this call for 55 cents?
 It's .55 per share. Since you would do this increments of 100, you'd receive $55 (probably $54 after commission).

Sorry - you were right. These are in lots of 100, so you'd sell the call for $55.  The put would get you $3.  Yeah, neither of those look appealing from a premium point of view.  The rule of thumb I've seen is 2% per month.  These are way below that.

NIO -$13,000 LOSS

RIOT 4/1 + $11,500 WIN

RIOT 6/18 $60C +99%

RIOT 1/21/22 $42C + 61%

CCL 7/16 $25C  +92%

PLTR 8/20 $30C   -16%

PLTR 11/19  $35C  -33%

PLTR  1/21/22 $50C  -56%

NIO -$13,000 LOSS

RIOT 4/1 + $11,500 WIN

RIOT 6/18 $60C +99%

RIOT 1/21/22 $42C + 61%

CCL 7/16 $25C  +92%

PLTR 8/20 $30C   -16%

PLTR 11/19  $35C  -33%

PLTR  1/21/22 $50C  -56%
With bitcoin flying, Cant wait to see what these do :excited:

Been selling options for a year and a half...

I love selling puts that expire.

No need to own the stock ...just collect the premium.

(Eta: feels like free money)

It's bitten me a few times as I'm now on the board of directors at NERV ...after having so many shares put to me.

Interesting to me how so many like to cover before expiration tho. If it's a winner, I milk it for every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bossman said:
Been selling options for a year and a half...

I love selling puts that expire.

Interesting to me how so many like to cover before expiration tho. If it's a winner, I milk it for every penny.
Mine rarely make it to expiration. I usually close out puts that were sold once a vast majority of the premium has been collected (80% to 90%). The risk vs reward makes it unwise to milk those last few percentage points. Just as relevant is that selling cash secured puts requires holding that cash so by closing it out, you get access to that cash to rinse and repeat. I don’t want to tie up capital for pennies on the dollar. If they’re naked puts then this isn’t an issue but selling naked puts is not in my DNA. 

Mine rarely make it to expiration. I usually close out puts that were sold once a vast majority of the premium has been collected (80% to 90%). The risk vs reward makes it unwise to milk those last few percentage points. Just as relevant is that selling cash secured puts requires holding that cash so by closing it out, you get access to that cash to rinse and repeat. I don’t want to tie up capital for pennies on the dollar. If they’re naked puts then this isn’t an issue but selling naked puts is not in my DNA. 
By "naked puts" you mean selling puts on margin vs cash backed?

Yeah, I agree that would be pretty hairy. I always make sure my account can handle the puts being put without a margin call.

Users who are viewing this thread