What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ossoff vs. Handel (1 Viewer)

Meh. Another Solidly R seat that scraped by an opponent who doesn't even live in the District.  A wins a win......but I hope that these voting % trends continue across the entire U.S. in 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dems gotta get some "W"s --still, strong swings in SC, KS and MT -- 19, 29 and 15 %

This one in SC (again RED District and State) extremely close:

Ralph Norman (Republican) 51.1% 44,889

Archie Parnell (Democratic)  47.9% 42,053

Big dummies! Could have had more Ossoff fiance instead they elected Mags Bennett. <_<

Meh. Another Solidly R seat that scraped by an opponent who doesn't even live in the District.  A wins a win......but I hope that these voting % trends continue across the entire U.S. in 18.
:goodposting:

These are upper middle class white southerners who spent hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money to build a ballpark even though there's a perfectly good one a couple miles away because they didn't want to be forced to deal with black people when they go to Braves games. There's only so much you can do in a place like that. Dems ran out a bland centrist because a progressive would get slaughtered here. That's not the case in the working class neighborhoods that went for Obama and then Trump.  IMO Dems need to focus on those areas and run on income inequality, Trump's Wall Street cabinet and the GOP health care bill debacle.  Maybe also find a message to get the college vote stirred up again, although I think they can rely on Trump's awfulness for that.

Gorsuch, Mattis, extending and implementing policies to help veterans, stronger support for LEO, reviving the keystone and Dakota pipelines, getting the US out of agreements that weren't beneficial to the US...
1. Mattis stands out because he's a competent official on a cabinet of morons.  What exactly has he done that you think separates him from the Gates, Hagel or Carter?

2. Trump's been awful for veterans. His federal hiring freeze hit them harder than any other group, he craps on Gold Star families and seemingly couldn't care less about combat deaths, complaining about Fake News on twitter until one of his aides points out that he should maybe say something about dead soldiers too.  What policies are you thinking of? The extension of a health care bill signed by Obama?

3.  What are some concrete things Trump has done to support law enforcement?  Also, you realize that Comey was a law enforcement officer too, right?  And the FBI- the agency that was gutted when Trump booted Comey- is by far our largest and most important law enforcement organization?

4. Keystone is a totem.  It doesn't matter one way or another- didn't present a significant environmental danger but also won't help the economy at all. It was a symbol for activists who wanted a fight. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone other than treehuggers or a small handful of people in the Dakotas who work on pipeline construction and maintenance would care about it. And Dakota was never dead- all Trump did is speed up the process a little by changing the environmental review requirements.

5.  Are you talking about Paris here?

Feel free to copy and reply in the Trump thread if you want, this thread probably isn't the right place for this.

Try more of this, the inability of Trumpites to enunciate and explain their support is part of the problem.

Please don't let my questions give you the impression that I don't appreciate the effort, @avoiding injuries. It's definitely appreciated, we need more posts like yours and less posts about making #######s mad and how the Russia stuff is fake news.

ETA- apparently lib-####s is filtered now?

These are upper middle class white southerners who spent hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money to build a ballpark even though there's a perfectly good one a couple miles away because they didn't want to be forced to deal with black people when they go to Braves games. 
I kind of agree with this, but it wasn't about racism.  Not a fan of how they screwed the tax payers.  It was more about people wanting to keep the money in Cobb, and develop the surrounding area (help the big money developers).   I don't think racism is as bad in GA as one would assume.  It may have been 30 years ago, but most of the population grew up doing the dirty bird.  Not saying it doesn't exist, but racism definitely isn't holding back anyone in Atlanta.  Cobb has a huge African American population as well.

What do you folks think of outside money in local elections?  I'm sure someone will come in here, and say "it happens more with Republicans", but I'm not trying to be partisan here.  I'm not a fan of it.

These are upper middle class white southerners who spent hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money to build a ballpark even though there's a perfectly good one a couple miles away because they didn't want to be forced to deal with black people when they go to Braves games. There's only so much you can do in a place like that. Dems ran out a bland centrist because a progressive would get slaughtered here. That's not the case in the working class neighborhoods that went for Obama and then Trump.  IMO Dems need to focus on those areas and run on income inequality, Trump's Wall Street cabinet and the GOP health care bill debacle.  Maybe also find a message to get the college vote stirred up again, although I think they can rely on Trump's awfulness for that.
Ah so the voters were racists. Well we know they weren't sexist. What would you do without your crutches?

Gorsuch, Mattis, extending and implementing policies to help veterans, stronger support for LEO, reviving the keystone and Dakota pipelines, getting the US out of agreements that weren't beneficial to the US...
I'll move further discussion of this to the general Trump thread.  Thank you for your reply.

These are upper middle class white southerners who spent hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money to build a ballpark even though there's a perfectly good one a couple miles away because they didn't want to be forced to deal with black people when they go to Braves games. 
You are so off base with this. Braves wanted to move because the bulk of their fanbase is north of the perimeter, and getting to a game at Turner Field was a nightmare. They were also leasing the stadium and wanted to create their own park that they had an ownership stake in. The area surrounding the old stadium was a dump too, plain and simple. Black, white, yellow, whatever. You wouldn't walk around that stadium after the game. Cobb residents liked the idea of the Braves moving closer, because that area is crazy about sports-- the East Cobb youth baseball league is one of the most competitive and popular baseball leagues in the country. So they love sports, but they hated the way the deal was brokered behind closed doors which is why Tim Lee lost his re-election bid.

The residents didn't pass anything. Tim Lee forced it through without a referendum, and lost his seat the next year mostly because of this issue.

But no, it's all about racism with you.

You are so off base with this. Braves wanted to move because the bulk of their fanbase is north of the perimeter, and getting to a game at Turner Field was a nightmare. They were also leasing the stadium and wanted to create their own park that they had an ownership stake in. The area surrounding the old stadium was a dump too, plain and simple. Black, white, yellow, whatever. You wouldn't walk around that stadium after the game. Cobb residents liked the idea of the Braves moving closer, because that area is crazy about sports-- the East Cobb youth baseball league is one of the most competitive and popular baseball leagues in the country. So they love sports, but they hated the way the deal was brokered behind closed doors which is why Tim Lee lost his re-election bid.

The idiot mayor(s) of Atlanta dropped the ball big time by failing to develop the area around Turner Field. The team was clear about what they wanted and Cobb delivered. The location was a selling point too, but I doubt they would've moved if a Battery type of complex existed around the old park.

You are so off base with this. Braves wanted to move because the bulk of their fanbase is north of the perimeter, and getting to a game at Turner Field was a nightmare. The area surrounding the old stadium was a dump too, plain and simple. Black, white, yellow, whatever. You wouldn't walk around that stadium after the game. Cobb residents liked the idea of the Braves moving closer, because that area is crazy about sports-- the East Cobb youth baseball league is one of the most competitive and popular baseball leagues in the country. So they love sports, but they hated the way the deal was brokered behind closed doors which is why Tim Lee lost his re-election bid.

I don't want too far off track, but ... why is the area around Turner Field still a dump? It's like 10 blocks from the center of the city. Pretty much every other city that's built a baseball stadium in a downtown area has seen that area boom because baseball fans and other people are willing to live in/spend time in those areas. Why didn't this work in Atlanta?

Feel free to answer in PM if you want since this isn't the subject of the thread.

Tucker Carlson puts a nice bow on this election, I think:

[D]emocrats still have literally no idea why they keep losing elections. If they did they would have run a real candidate with a real job who understands the constituents he is attempting to represent.

Instead, Democrats put up a 30-year-old semi-employed documentary filmmaker who can’t even vote for himself because he doesn’t live in the district.
He’s got a ton of trendy rich people positions on just about every topic – the abortion people love him. He is gravely concerned about climate and childhood obesity and the availability of organic kale. He thinks illegal aliens are noble. He went to the London School of Economics. He is super fit and way smarter than you or me.

We could go on and on, but you’ve seen it all before. That’s the point. Voters have seen it before, too. And outside of Brooklyn and in the west side of L.A., they are not that into it. That’s why Democrats keep losing.

4. Keystone is a totem.  It doesn't matter one way or another- didn't present a significant environmental danger but also won't help the economy at all. It was a symbol for activists who wanted a fight. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone other than treehuggers or a small handful of people in the Dakotas who work on pipeline construction and maintenance would care about it. And Dakota was never dead- all Trump did is speed up the process a little by changing the environmental review requirements.
This is absolutely my experience as well (speaking here as a Dakotan).  I personally know a ton of people who were whipped up over this, and I agree wholeheartedly with the "activists who wanted a fight" synopsis.

3.  What are some concrete things Trump has done to support law enforcement?  Also, you realize that Comey was a law enforcement officer too, right?  And the FBI- the agency that was gutted when Trump booted Comey- is by far our largest and most important law enforcement organization?
He and Sessions have stopped civil rights investigations. So I guess that's good for ####ty racist cops. But really bad for the good ones.

All the outside coastal money made this one special.  Despite the bs polls, and millions of dollars, this just proves you can't always buy an election.  Just like the underdog DJT.  Came in with way less money, all odds against him, and still won.  This also proves nobody is buying the Russian Conspiracy theory, despite msm shoving it down our throats.  Sorry Libs, sorry msm, sorry FFA, you all are the minority now.  8 years of Pat to play, and corruption has caused the tide to shift.  Good luck in 2018.
The US judicial system is not perfect, but everyone in this country grows up hearing the phrase "innocent until proven guilty".  Which is why no matter how many times CNN plasters Russia on their screen, a large portion of the country won't believe it.  Unless it's proven.

Yeah I'm on the left. :lol:  

I would've happily voted for half of the GOP field over Hillary, maybe more. Kasich by a mile, Rubio, Christie, Jeb, maybe even that lady who wrecked HP. 
Most of the guys he beat, besides low energy Jeb, are working with the president now.  Cruz, Rubio, and Rand specifically.  Despite the nasty primary, Trump still finds a way to work with people.  That's a positive.

You are so off base with this. Braves wanted to move because the bulk of their fanbase is north of the perimeter, and getting to a game at Turner Field was a nightmare. The area surrounding the old stadium was a dump too, plain and simple. Black, white, yellow, whatever. You wouldn't walk around that stadium after the game. Cobb residents liked the idea of the Braves moving closer, because that area is crazy about sports-- the East Cobb youth baseball league is one of the most competitive and popular baseball leagues in the country. So they love sports, but they hated the way the deal was brokered behind closed doors which is why Tim Lee lost his re-election bid.

I don't want too far off track, but ... why is the area around Turner Field still a dump? It's like 10 blocks from the center of the city. Pretty much every other city that's built a baseball stadium in a downtown area has seen that area boom because baseball fans and other people are willing to live in/spend time in those areas. Why didn't this work in Atlanta?

Feel free to answer in PM if you want since this isn't the subject of the thread.
It's typical Atlanta area BS - too many self important "developers" always trying to out maneuver and jockey for lead dog in the hood. Secondary to this is the fact that Atlanta sports fans suck. There is always an excuse for the apathy and here no one with the money or power really cared enough about that neighborhood to knock heads and pay off the people that needed to be paid off to get it built. It was a whole lot easier to get them to care about a new park in Cobb even though few in Cobb wanted it there - they greased the skids up there but not down in the hood - sends a pretty clear message.

It's typical Atlanta area BS - too many self important "developers" always trying to out maneuver and jockey for lead dog in the hood. Secondary to this is the fact that Atlanta sports fans suck. There is always an excuse for the apathy and here no one with the money or power really cared enough about that neighborhood to knock heads and pay off the people that needed to be paid off to get it built. It was a whole lot easier to get them to care about a new park in Cobb even though few in Cobb wanted it there - they greased the skids up there but not down in the hood - sends a pretty clear message.
Self-important real estate developers are the worst kind of people.

If Handel wins, then Trump is going to brag on Twitter about how the Democrats wasted millions of dollars for nothing.

If Ossoff wins, then Trump is going to brag on Twitter about how the Democrats wasted millions of dollars just for one measly Congressional seat.

Also, if Ossoff wins then Trump will say that Handel was a terrible candidate and that he never supported her.
This is pretty much a Trumpkin staple on this board. No matter the result of anything, rationalize it and declare "winning." 

My own reservations about Ossoff were about strategy, not tactics. As we were reminded time and again by the media, an Ossoff win would have also been a victory over the left. It would have been trumpeted as vindication of “a decidedly un-Sanders-like vision of the future” and cited as proof that Democrats who “want to win” should follow his model and explicitly rule out raising taxes on the wealthy and firmly oppose “any move” towards single-payer health care. It’s tempting to argue that wasn’t Ossoff’s fault. After all, it was former Clinton aide Brian Fallon, not Ossoff, who came up with the “Panera Bread strategy”—essentially a rationale for appealing to suburban voters in swing districts rather than spending time or money trying to expand the Democratic party’s base among working-class voters, minorities, or millennials—which is really just a new name for the kind of triangulation that put Bill Clinton in the White House. As the career of its current master Rahm Emanuel suggests, that kind of politics can still be effective. But it was never progressive, and not even the backing of Daily Kos or the Working Families Party—who both worked hard, and effectively, on Ossoff’s behalf—can change that.

https://www.thenation.com/article/jon-ossoffs-loss-should-be-a-lesson-to-corporate-democrats/

Users who are viewing this thread