What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Owens to be used more this year? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
from the blogger....I know TO is probably the most controversial figure in the game outside of Vick now but don't let him fall out of the top 3-4 wr's this year. He could be downright scary this year.

Phillips' philosophy is a playmaker's paradise

Star-Telegram / Ron Jenkins

Wade Phillips said he was surprised at how the Cowboys used Terrell Owens last season.

SAN ANTONIO -- One thing is certain so far in training camp: Receiver Terrell Owens will be a focal point of the Cowboys' offense.

To his obvious delight, Owens has been a daily highlight during practices at the Alamodome.

Is this new coach Wade Phillips' way of playing nice with the petulant receiver?

While it's a fact that Phillips has instructed offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to get the ball to Owens as much possible, it's not born out of any need to cater to Owens.

Rather, Phillips deems it Football 101: Put your best players in position to be impact performers.

"It's about using our personnel," Phillips said. "That's No. 1 with me."

Phillips said as much when he was hired to replace Bill Parcells in February.

If the first week of training camp practices are any indication, Phillips is following through on that promise.

But it's not just about Owens.

Other Cowboys standouts, including tight end Jason Witten, receiver Terry Glenn, linebacker DeMarcus Ware and safety Roy Williams are feeling the impact of Phillips' simple philosophy.

Like Owens, Witten and Glenn will be moved all over the field to create mismatches. Ware will rush from both sides of the formation and Williams is being positioned closer to the line of scrimmage so he can make plays in the backfield.

"He wants to get his playmakers to make plays," Ware said of Phillips. "We have so many, he is trying to get everybody a chance to make plays. Last year, I did more rushing off the right side and dropping off the right side. Now I am doing both. I am running around like a madman. But it creates mismatches and teams can't game-plan for you at a certain position.

"I will be able to make more plays, be more aggressive, [make] tackles for losses and sacks. That is what all the guys are excited about."

Although Owens caught 85 passes for 1,180 yards and a league-high 13 touchdowns last season, he is the first to tell you he didn't dominate. Blame injuries and a league-high 17 dropped passes.

But Owens also will tell you the Cowboys' offense did not maximize its talent.

That shouldn't be a problem in 2007.

Garrett plans to get the ball to Owens in a variety of ways, including deep routes, hitches, slants and reverses.

Owens also has learned the flanker, slot and split end positions, as all the receivers have, and even Witten will be used in interchangeable ways.

"We've got several guys we need to get the ball to," Phillips said. "But it surprised me that Terrell hasn't played that much in the slot because I would think he'd be really hard to play [against] in the slot. Playing against him, we were always glad that he was on one side so we could double him."

No doubt Owens, who didn't learn the entire playbook last year and often complained about how he was used, is pleased with the new offense. He has made a habit of making big plays during training camp. Each catch is followed by a huge ice cream smile.

"With the opportunity that I have, and with Garrett being the offensive coordinator, he's going to put me in positions and put plays in there for me to make plays and win," Owens said. "It's always exciting when I can get my hands on the ball."

Witten, a three-time Pro Bowler, is also excited about being split out wide to create mismatches. He was used that way early in his career but not as much the last couple of seasons.

Witten and Glenn said having interchangeable positions for the receivers and tight ends on passing plays makes for a simpler playbook and possibly a more dynamic offense.

"It compacts everything," Witten said. "It's not as complex. Depending on the calls, Terry and I might be doing the same things eight times and Terrell might be doing something different all eight times. It keeps other teams off balance and creates opportunities."

Fearsome foursome?

How some key players will be used differently this season under new coach Wade Phillips:

WR Terrell Owens

Used primarily as a split end last year, Owens is being moved all over the field to take advantage of mismatches and maximize his potential to dominate.

TE Jason Witten

The three-time Pro Bowl tight end, above, will be split out wide at times to cause a mismatch with a strong safety or linebacker and create more big plays down the field.

LB DeMarcus Ware

The team's best pass rusher will be moved around the formation and will rush from both sides to get a mismatch against a running back or tight end.

SS Roy Williams

He will line up closer to the line of scrimmage, where he can make impact plays in the backfield, and will play linebacker on passing downs to minimize his coverage limitations.

Best value in most draft hands down. Everyone is scared to touch him and can usually get him at WR8 or so and he should perform at WR1, 2 or 3.

I think everyone knows this is TO's team now. I expect him to get his way all year no questions asked.

He'll likely miss a game or two but I see no reason he won't be an uber stud in the 14 or so games he'll play.

In another thread it was mentioned they've had him return some kickoffs.

In another thread it was mentioned they've had him return some kickoffs.
Wow, I think that would be pretty foolish. I don't see any reason to think he'd be a significant upgrade there, and his risk for injury would seem to be increased... visions of Sehorn...

from the blogger....I know TO is probably the most controversial figure in the game outside of Vick now but don't let him fall out of the top 3-4 wr's this year. He could be downright scary this year.
Sorry to hijack this, but I realized it's all relative after this: Bad Boys - Bang CartoonsIn comparison, TO's pretty tame.

Carry on...

I will say that he is likely to have very good year.

I'm a little skeptical when someone says TO will be used *MORE* this year. Last year, he had 152 targets- good enough for 5th in the league, behind only Chambers (153), Andre Johnson (164), Driver (173), and Holt (179). There's not a lot of room for increase there. I'd be happy if he was simply used roughly the same amount, instead.

He'll likely miss a game or two but I see no reason he won't be an uber stud in the 14 or so games he'll play. In another thread it was mentioned they've had him return some kickoffs.
I doubt very seriously he well miss a game or two......a broken hand did not stop him last year

Is the hand something to be concerned about this year or is it 100%?
I have been at the training camp the past week and it does not seem to be affecting him at all........but what do I know. I just really DONT see TO as an injury concern/risk....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread